Browns Enamored With Carr, Not Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Jeremiah: Browns enamored with Carr, not Manziel
By Marc Sessler

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...eremiah-browns-enamored-with-carr-not-manziel
http://www.nfl.com/tickets
Before the Browns parted ways with CEO Joe Banner and general manager Michael Lombardi, Cleveland was widely seen as an operation smitten with Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.

The team reportedly was "prepared to move heaven and earth" for the rookie passer of its choice, but NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah says we've been focused on the wrong guy all along.

"The one thing about the combine is, you get there, you're around all your contacts, a lot of different NFL people," Jeremiah told "The Dan Patrick Show" on Wednesday. "And it had been so out there that the Browns loved Manziel under the previous regime, and I talked to enough people that firmly believe that that was a total smokescreen."

Said Jeremiah: "Their guy is (Fresno State quarterback) Derek Carr and they're going to take a different player with the fourth pick and they want to take Derek Carr with their second one (at No. 26). ... I heard that from several different places."

On paper, a more manageable plan with the Jaguars sitting at No. 3, one spot ahead of Cleveland. "I think Jacksonville is the first place I look," Jeremiah said of a Manziel landing spot.

Both Jeremiah and NFL Media's Mike Mayock rank Carr fourth among quarterback prospects behind Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Football and Blake Bortles. Carr, of course, has plenty of work to do to equal Manziel's charming words for Browns fans.

"I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," Manziel said before the combine. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl."

Sounds like a plan, except -- from where we stand today -- the Browns plan to make someone else that 21st guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

iced

I wouldn't put it past Cleveland... Take a LB or Watkins at #4 and get Carr at #26

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I hate CLE! That would throw something of a monkey wrench into our trade down plans. If HOU takes Clowney and CLE is truly interested in Carr who is going to trade up for whom?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hate CLE! That would throw something of a monkey wrench into our trade down plans. If HOU takes Clowney and CLE is truly interested in Carr who is going to trade up for whom?

Browns have failed and failed to find a good QB since ??? how long??? Carr? Somethings never change. if the Browns want Carr then its questionable at best if Carr will be there @ #26 or someone just may jump in front of them and take then what will the Browns do? Smart?

Browns need hope for the future it does not need to be immediate results just give the fans hope. Carr? maybe. I am sure the Jags are happy with that news...Texans take DE Clowney and Rams take a WR or OT then Jags get the pick of all the QB's. Browns need QB & OG's who do they want #4??? they do not need any OT's

Rams could get calls from Raiders, Vikings, Bucs & Titans for a trade up for the top QB @ #2 if the Texans take Jadeveon. With five teams in the top 11 picks needing QB's Carr could be off the boards hours before the Browns use that #26th selection.

jap

Legend
This has to be a smoke screen. With the priority on QB's how can any team be dumb enough to announce who they want this early?

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Browns have failed and failed to find a good QB since ??? how long??? Carr? Somethings never change. if the Browns want Carr then its questionable at best if Carr will be there @ #26 or someone just may jump in front of them and take then what will the Browns do? Smart?

Browns need hope for the future it does not need to be immediate results just give the fans hope. Carr? maybe. I am sure the Jags are happy with that news...Texans take DE Clowney and Rams take a WR or OT then Jags get the pick of all the QB's. Browns need QB & OG's who do they want #4??? they do not need any OT's

Rams could get calls from Raiders, Vikings, Bucs & Titans for a trade up for the top QB @ #2 if the Texans take Jadeveon. With five teams in the top 11 picks needing QB's Carr could be off the boards hours before the Browns use that #26th selection.
If we could trade back with the Raiders then see CLE miss out on Carr at 26 I would get some twisted enjoyment out of that. As for the trade with MINN, I'd do it if there weren't other takers but my preference is not to move back that far. I fear a trade back to 8 we miss out on Clowney, Matthews and Robinson, and IMO, we need to get one of those 3 at 1A.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
This has to be smoke screen. With the priority on QB's how can any team be dumb enough to announce who they want this early?
You're probably right about that. Sure makes me nervous though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If we could trade back with the Raiders then see CLE miss out on Carr at 26 I would get some twisted enjoyment out of that. As for the trade with MINN, I'd do it if there weren't other takers but my preference is not to move back that far. I fear a trade back to 8 we miss out on Clowney, Matthews and Robinson, and IMO, we need to get one of those 3 at 1A.

Yes I agree #8 has an uneasy feeling to it. If the Browns skip a QB who do they want???? Mack? Watkins? If Mack is off the board @ #4 then the Falcons @#6 & Bucs #7 would go OT's.

I agree with jap pure smokey look to passing on a QB for a team that needs one sooooobad!

This article by Gil Brandt has Manziel @ #1.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...nziel-ranks-no-1-on-top-50-nfl-prospects-list

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Come on CLE, i know you can throw out a better smokescreen than that...

RamsFan14

Starter
AHHHH everything is a smokescreen! For all we know there smokescreen is a smokescreen for saying they don't know what to do anymore.

tonyl711

Starter
they need a QB too bad to try to get cute and hope Carr lasts till 26, he has heard this from several different people? are there that many leaks in Cleveland? if they don't draft a QB early their fans might burn down the stadium.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
D'qwell Jackson was released today so ima guess there might be some truth to this bet they take Mack at 4.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Carr?

Okay, yeah. Cleveland has tried this before; McCoy, Weeden...

I'm not buying it for a second!

That fan base can't take another attempt to fill the biggest void on the team with everyone's 3rd/4th option.

That city would erupt in flames if they pick Carr.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they're truly "enamored" with Carr they won't risk him not being there at 26 and they will take him at #4. If this is not a smokescreen other teams may also see what they fell in love with

jap

Legend
If they're truly "enamored" with Carr they won't risk him not being there at 26 and they will take him at #4. If this is not a smokescreen other teams may also see what they fell in love with

. . . which is why it's an obvious smokey. You announce who you are interested in ahead of time, and you give teams the opportunity to scheme to move ahead of you. Didn't they fire one of their brass for saying they were interested in Manziel (spelling?)? That's who their real interest probably is or someone even better.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
No sweat off my back. Even if they don't want Manziel, their smokescreen will only intimidate other teams in need of one of the top 3 QBs to trade up with us. I would find it humorous if Carr turned out to be another bust for Cleveland's continuously sinking ship.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Waiting until 26 to land the guy they want? Priceless.

Sounds like the more things change the more the stay the same in Cleveland.

If they think this will drive the Rams asking price down, Farmer is as big a stooge as Lombardi.