Brian Schottenheimer's plans for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... s-for-rams

A few notes after participating in a conference call featuring new St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer:

QB coach on way: The Rams did not have one last season. Then-coordinator Josh McDaniels handled that role. Schottenheimer plans to hire one and said the subject was one of the first things he discussed with new coach Jeff Fisher. Schottenheimer: "Because there are so many things that come across your plate as a play caller and coordinator, you need someone for Sam (Bradford) or any of the quarterbacks to go to and be hearing the same voice."

Two backs: Schottenheimer believes in supplementing the starting back with a change-of-pace runner. He emphasized the need for depth everywhere, including that position.

Clemens fan: Look for the Rams to re-sign backup quarterback Kellen Clemens, who was with Schottenheimer on the New York Jets. Schottenheimer described himself as a "big fan" of Clemens and someone who supported the drafting of him.

Philosophy: The offense St. Louis will run has roots in the Don Coryell digit system, though Schottenheimer said his offense would be more concept-based than reliant upon actual numbers. Schottenheimer learned the game from his famous father, Marty, but he initially thought he would fall under the West Coast tree. He pointed to Mike McCarthy, Jimmy Raye and Steve Spurrier as coaches he had borrowed from over the years. He learned the Coryell-based offense from Jerry Rhome in St. Louis during the 1997 season, when Dick Vermeil was coach. Schottenheimer said he likes the way "the formations flow" and the flexibility afforded coaches on game days.

Sam Bradford: Schottenheimer met with Bradford recently and plans to streamline the transition by making sure the terminology associated with a new system isn't a stumbling block. Schottenheimer: "The most important thing is not getting caught up in terminology. That will not be a problem. I understand how smart he is."

On his Jets departure: Schottenheimer had only good things to say about his six seasons with the Jets. He said he was ready for a change and does not think he would have remained in New York even if the Jets had finished the season strong.

The Rams' new defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams, is also scheduled to be available Tuesday. I'm also about to speak with Bernie Miklasz for our weekly spot on 101ESPN St. Louis. Back in a bit.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awesome, awesome, awesome and awesome.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
He's definitely saying the right things, but he did spend 6 years in NY and you don't survive there without being media savvy... Just sayin'

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I'm just saying my immediate needs are being met.

1. A QB coach
2. Keep Clemens
3. Change of pace back

He said it, now DO it.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I wasn't trying to sound downbeat about the hire, it's just anybody can say they will do it. Rams fans everywhere should be used to lip service by now. I wish we didn't have to wait till september to find out if they can back it up.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Awesome, awesome, awesome and awesome.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes!

Blown away by Bradford...wants to keep Clemens, as we suggested. Needs change-up back. Good thing he reads the ROD.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ScotsRam said:
I wasn't trying to sound downbeat about the hire, it's just anybody can say they will do it. Rams fans everywhere should be used to lip service by now. I wish we didn't have to wait till september to find out if they can back it up.
Yeah, I know. I just like the "idea" of getting those things, and I too hope he's putting a priority on it. The change of back thing, Fisher is also a fan of, so that's pretty much a given. The QB coach is only common sense, and I'm glad there will be one in place even though Schotty was a QB coach himself at one point. Clemens spent some time with Schottenheimer in New York, so I'm pretty optimistic that he'll be around because of that.

But yeah, we heard it - so now we have to see it followed through.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Love it. It still amazes me that we have not really had a change of pace back here since SJ took over as starter. I know we brought in caddy and norwood last year, but..umm, ....yeah. Also glad they are hiring a QB coach......

superfan24

Starter
Yep love what Shotty is saying and love the hire. Couldn't go wrong between him and Jackson anyway imo.
Still cautious on Williams, but can't wait to hear what he has to say.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Little bit of audio from B Schott

[mp3]http://boos.audioboo.fm/attachments/2078962/new-rams-offensive-coordinator-brian-schottenheimer-on-rams-offense.mp3?audio_clip_id=637727[/mp3]

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
ScotsRam said:

I'm with you. This whole thing still remains a "wait and see" deal w/ me.

Used this analogy before, this thing reminds me of a slimy carsalesman (Kroenke/Fisher) talking up a fully loaded car (new coaches/philosophy) and tempting me to buy it. I'm skeptical, and hoping they won't sell me a lemon.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Angry Ram said:
ScotsRam said:

Used this analogy before, this thing reminds me of a slimy carsalesman (Kroenke/Fisher) talking up a fully loaded car (new coaches/philosophy) and tempting me to buy it. I'm skeptical, and hoping they won't sell me a lemon.
as i've said before, i am probably in same boat as u. but gotta admit, it's hard to contain excitement.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Guys, for me, this is a season of hope and optimism. I always try to start out the season on a high note. My expectations are high, but they're still tempered with realism of my assessments of the team. I like starting out high, so that if things go bad I have somewhere to go other than under. I find that everything balances out in the end, but a team's identity can't be forged overnight, it must be allowed room to grow, and in growing it also needs room to fail. Sometimes that happens, unfortunately.

New regime, fresh start. I won't let the last regimes baggage enter into my hope for the new regime.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
Guys, for me, this is a season of hope and optimism. I always try to start out the season on a high note. My expectations are high, but they're still tempered with realism of my assessments of the team. I like starting out high, so that if things go bad I have somewhere to go other than under. I find that everything balances out in the end, but a team's identity can't be forged overnight, it must be allowed room to grow, and in growing it also needs room to fail. Sometimes that happens, unfortunately.

New regime, fresh start. I won't let the last regimes baggage enter into my hope for the new regime.

^^This!

Anonymous

Faceplant said:
Love it. It still amazes me that we have not really had a change of pace back here since SJ took over as starter. I know we brought in caddy and norwood last year, but..umm, ....yeah. Also glad they are hiring a QB coach......

A few years back we had Steven Davis.....and SJ benefited greatly. I forgot why we didn't bring him back.

Anonymous

Re:

interference said:
Angry Ram said:
ScotsRam said:

as i've said before, i am probably in same boat as u. but gotta admit, it's hard to contain excitement.

I've said it before.....this team is going to be blown up. It will take time but the progress will be there for all to see. By year three this team will be a force within the division possessing both good depth everywhere and coaches respected throughout the league. This will be a primer on how to bring an organization back to respectability. There will be zero finesse. No one will look forward to playing the Rams....anywhere.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Dudes,,,,

I can't believe the lack of excitement I'm seeing. All of the skepticism about the new coaching staff...????

Listen, if nothing else, at least you know none of these guys are going to be doing their respective jobs for the first fucking time. The "On-The-Job" training program for Ram Coaches is O-V-E-R. This ALONE is something all of us should be extremely excited to see.

I'm Totally Fucking Stoked about ALL of the new hires I'm seeing. I expect our players to have a huge,new sense of confidence simply because of the experienced staff.

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well then why don't you just do a fucking banana congo line then?

:razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed: :razzed:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
In addition to the congo line...

My parrot "Rasta" would also like to dedicate a little dance to all of you

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZNMv-05pR0[/youtube]

It's a time for celebration my Brethren !!!

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I am excited about the hires, I just don't want to be set up to fail again. I was excited about the hires 3 years ago as well. It also worries me that Williams was talking about a "culture change". I don't think we need one. Talent is what is missing, not heart, soul and commitment. Anyway, I will stop raining on the parade. I take selassie's point about having proven guys who at least wont have to learn on the job, it is a while since we've had that.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

excited enough for ya?! :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: