Brian Quick on the verge of breaking out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

will Quick break out this year

• yes

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • no

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

lockdnram21

Legend
in the next coming weeks Quick is going to show why he was picked 33rd overall. i dont know if its going to be against seahawks but it will be soon. hemfinally got meaningful playing time. he got the drops out his system now its time to play ball. if he can continue to get open like he did vs carolina hes going to open up things for everybody. hopefully givens and tavon and cook can step up to.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
in the next coming weeks Quick is going to show why he was picked 33rd overall. i dont know if its going to be against seahawks but it will be soon. hemfinally got meaningful playing time. he got the drops out his system now its time to play ball. if he can continue to get open like he did vs carolina hes going to open up things for everybody. hopefully givens and tavon and cook can step up to.

I'm not sure if the drops are out of the system just yet - he had huge endzone and 3rd down drops vs Carolina - but he's developing into a physical, big play guy. I hope he does breakout this year. It will be one of the FEW things to look forward to during the remainder of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

V3

Hall of Fame
I think he's finally learning how to get open but he still doesn't know how to catch.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I think he does break out becuase clemens likes to throw to him and they have some wierd #2 string chemistry going on. Dropped passes will be expected from him but clemens will probably continue to force feed him the ball Like in all 4 preseason games.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No. For one, his drops have utterly killed drives. How many did he have this game alone? Three? And then there was his stupid personal foul. I mean, you see glimpses of tantalizing potential, but then he goes ahead and does stupid things like that. It's like Austin and his fumbles/drops and Givens and his drops (although to be fair to Givens, he's probably playing hurt right now). And I still don't think that Bailey has had a single target, let alone a catch. This entire receiving core has been a huge disappointment (with the exception of Pettis, who is still the same player he was last year), but I digress.

Anyway, no, I don't call that breaking out at all. Add in the fact that he'll have a quarterback like Clemens (or someone equally terrible) throwing to him for the rest of the year, and I don't see any way he breaks out, especially not against Seattle and their juiced-up secondary. Next year? Yeah, I see him breaking out then. But definitely not this year.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
He seems to be putting it together. He needs some extra time on the Jugs machine though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know that he's breaking out or anything in as much as it appears to be a natural progression happening. It was a late start, but we all knew it was going to take some time with him given his past experience.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:rolleyes: Even with a Torry Holt hands surgical transplant his breakout moment would soon result in his capture and placement back into his Bench Bunk Cell assignment. I hold out more hope for Stedman Bailey than I do for Quick's hands.

nighttrain

Legend
I voted close to breaking out, my reasons, catching the ball in traffic takes total concentration, if the player is worried about one single thing other than that at the release of ball, not good news. Quick is just coming into that part of his maturing, knowing where he is supposed to be and getting his routes down. I think we see a lot of Quick to like, even with Clemens
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm a little bummed that our *best* receiver on the team is still only ranked 65th in the league according to Pro Football Focus' metrics (Givens). So Quick's got 4 drops. It is what it is, and he doesn't even lead the team in that category.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. For one, his drops have utterly killed drives. How many did he have this game alone? Three? And then there was his stupid personal foul. I mean, you see glimpses of tantalizing potential, but then he goes ahead and does stupid things like that. It's like Austin and his fumbles/drops and Givens and his drops (although to be fair to Givens, he's probably playing hurt right now). And I still don't think that Bailey has had a single target, let alone a catch. This entire receiving core has been a huge disappointment (with the exception of Pettis, who is still the same player he was last year), but I digress.

Anyway, no, I don't call that breaking out at all. Add in the fact that he'll have a quarterback like Clemens (or someone equally terrible) throwing to him for the rest of the year, and I don't see any way he breaks out, especially not against Seattle and their juiced-up secondary. Next year? Yeah, I see him breaking out then. But definitely not this year.

he had 2 drops pettis had one and cook had 1

jap

Legend
I would have preferred that he broke out last Sunday. However, doing it to the Dirty SeaBirds would be nice too.

Last edited by a moderator:

iced

i find it ironic quick gets the most crap for his hands but he's probably about average or less in drops among teammates

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Quicks biggest issue is mental lapses (dropping passes). When he stops doing that he could be a beast. Funny part is because he doesn't get as many chances those drops are highlighted even more. He doesn't even have the most drops on the team. Seems to be an epidemic.
Imagine Sams completion percentage and TD's if our WR's didn't drop so many freaking passes.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I have maintained since training camp that its all starting to come together for Quick. That he is now being put in a position to actually contribute is evidence to me they feel he is knocking on the door. Even on the FIRST play of the game, they were going to take their shot to Quick on the same play they eventually connected with on the 73 yard gain later in the game. The lack of blitz pickup is the only thing that prevented what may have been a dramatic change to the way that game started.

He also connected on the "deep dig" route that he ran so well in training camp, one that I have been waiting to see since then.

The drops stand out, as someone else eluded to, because thus far, his targets are few and far between. And IMO, are not unexpected from ANY young receiver, regardless of where they are drafted (see Austin). If I recall, the same complaints were being made about Kendricks in his rookie year, and he has worked thru those issues with experience.

I for one, hope they keep going back to him. He is the one guy amongst the unit of WRs who could become "the guy". While I am cautiously looking forward to seeing his growth, I think in some ways, having Clemens NOW being the QB, may actually benefit Quick in his short term development. He can and will provide a big target for a guy who will need one. LOL

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
+1 Coach.

We might as well see what we really have. The more you throw to them the more confidence they'll get that you trust they can make plays.
Everyone is going to drop passes and sometimes it'll happen at the worst times, unfortunately. Quick is just so much more physically dominating than anything else we have. He pretty much dragged two defenders 10-12 more yards on that deep catch.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm looking forward to BQuick shoving Sherman to the ground with that stiff arm.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If there is one guy I have no problem getting a 15 yard penalty for it's knocking THIS freaking guy to the ground.

No penalty needed. This tool CAN be dealt with physically and Quick has the size and strength to do it.