Brian Allen ready to compete for starting center

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/brian-allen-ready-to-compete-for-starting-center
Brian Allen ready to compete for starting center
Myles Simmons

When first-round picks enter the league, they’re often expected to start right away.Analysts break down their film and talk about the fit with their new team on draft night, as they’re often thought of as filling an immediate need.But for a fourth-round pick? That’s really not the case — especially because those players often sit.
nkol9lfm4i4wpr6fqpq8.jpg

Like Rams center Brian Allen, who was the 111th pick of the 2018 NFL Draft just over a year ago.

“Mel Kiper wasn’t talking about me when it came to draft time,” Allen joked in a recent interview with therams.com for Season 2 of Behind the Grind. “And I wasn’t some huge talent who ran fast or jumped high.”Instead, Allen says, he was “just a football player.” And that was enough for Los Angeles’ brass — including run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer — to bring in the 6-foot-2, 303-pound lineman out of Michigan State.“If you can play, you can play — and it’s the way it is,” Allen said of Kromer’s philosophy. “But not all offensive line coaches look at offensive linemen like that. So having a guy who believes in me and believes that I can play at this level is big.”
qfyhy18yfsl81ri8v2oe.jpg

Allen, of course, didn’t play much during last year’s run to Super Bowl LIII. As a rookie, he saw mainly mop-up duty for a few games — both victories over Arizona and the Week 17 win over San Francisco. But he was also in for three plays in spot duty for starting center John Sullivan during the Week 14 matchup in Chicago.But even in limited playing time, Allen says he was able to learn a lot in his rookie year — mainly through the player in front of him.

“Being behind [Sullivan] was honestly one of the best things that I think has happened to me,” Allen said. “Coming from college, you get in a college offense, and being in the same system for four years, eventually I knew everything in that. And you get to a new system and you know the basics, and a guy like him starts talking and starts using words I don’t know and describing defenses in ways I’ve never even thought about. And being able to see the way he thinks and the way that he went about the calls and stuff like that — I don’t think there’s a center in the NFL who’s smarter than him as far as making the right ‘Mike’ point at the center position. That’s obviously huge.

“And the stuff he does is pretty unbelievable if you can really get in and grasp the stuff that he sees. So just being behind him for the whole year was honestly — at the end of my career, I’ll be most thankful for that because he took me from here to here,” Allen continued, displaying different levels with his hand. “And I still have a long way to go, but without having that I don’t — again, being behind another center on another team, I don’t if I’d be as good as I am now.”
taiim7s3ul0suiqcwnf1.jpg

Kromer noticed the kind of detail Allen put into his study last year — despite the fact that he wasn’t playing. And that’s part of the reason why Kromer and the team are confident in Allen’s ability to become a starter.

“Brian Allen really paid attention and was working closely with John Sullivan, who — what a great vet,” Kromer told therams.com. “But Brian shows that he has that innate intelligence and that vision that he can see the defense. But his number one overall trait is going to be his physical nature. He’s a powerful, quick offensive lineman who has the vision to see the defense. So we’re looking forward to him.”

And Allen is looking forward to his opportunity — and that’s as far as he’ll classify it. While general manager Les Snead and head coach Sean McVay have said that Allen slots in as Los Angeles’ starting center after the team declined the option on Sullivan’s contract in March, Allen realizes there’s a lot of time between now and Week 1.
xhwcaecovp75mzckd5da.jpg

Because of that, Allen wants to make sure he’s doing everything he can to truly earn the role between now and September.“I mean, the season’s a long way away. I don’t want to say that it’s mine by any means. There’s the draft coming up, free agency is still going on,” Allen said. “But at the same point, I’m not here to be a backup. That’s obviously the goal. I didn’t want to just get here and be on the team. I want to play, and I want to play at a high level.”

“So I’m excited for the opportunity that’s in front of me and I’m really just excited to be able to show what I learned this whole last year. I didn’t play a lot as you guys know, but I got a whole lot better from the last preseason game to the end of the year. So a lot of time, a lot of knowledge that I’ve learned a lot of everything. And back to our O-line room, I wouldn’t be here without them. And I’m kind of mind-blown myself at the steps and progressions I’ve made, just understanding football, being in that room every day with those guys.”

Flint

Pro Bowler
The interesting thing about this time of year is how much does the front office believe in the guys they have in place. I’ve seen mocks of the Rams taking a center with the first pick, does that mean McVay doesn’t believe in Allen or just that writers don’t know or haven’t taken the time to find out about guys like him. Same with guys like Obo or Kiser, maybe Snead loves these guys and will be trading down and drafting depth.

nighttrain

Legend
This guy (Allen) will have much to do with the Rams having a successful season, if Demby is also a keeper, life as a Rams fan will be looking good for several years, and Goff is gonna be a happy camper as well
train

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The interesting thing about this time of year is how much does the front office believe in the guys they have in place. I’ve seen mocks of the Rams taking a center with the first pick, does that mean McVay doesn’t believe in Allen or just that writers don’t know or haven’t taken the time to find out about guys like him. Same with guys like Obo or Kiser, maybe Snead loves these guys and will be trading down and drafting depth.
- I believe the Rams Org. has a ton of faith in Kromer & would go with his 2019 Action Paln. Kromer has a proven record of being able to coach up players who many think are too small...Kromer does favor interior OL'ers who can move with good feet with some toughness. He looks for OL'ers who demonstrate good working brain activity & love to put the time in study.

When I see those mocks showing the Rams selection of a center........Questions I look to answer is this prospect a pure center & how many starts does he have in other OL positions & such...Kromer has 3 center prospects on the roster with Allen/ Blythe & Neary. All of these three centers can play more than one position. I do not put too much weight on most sports analysts & their mocks.

dang

Legend
There are several prospects that can man OC/OG. I believe that flexibility will be key to the Rams coaching staff. I see one of the 3rd round picks on this position.

Ram65

Legend
There has been a debate on drafting another OC and Allen's ability to step in.
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/c-garrett-bradbury-nc-state.57774/

Allen and Boom being able to step in for two veterans could be a defining moment for the Rams future. To become a year in and year out Super Bowl contender teams have to hit on these mid round picks. Rams gave them a year to learn under the veterans and to have both practice and game experience. They set them up to succeed. Time will tell how well they perform but, it looks like the Rams have a lot of faith in both of them.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I suspect that Kromer and the Rams like Allen a lot. As in their starting C for the next 10 years, maybe more.

So I kinda doubt that they’re wanting to draft a C/G with their 31st.

But a G/T? That is probably on the table. Boom should be more than fine as LG this season, but I believe that he is considered their LOT upon Whit’s retirement after this season.

An OG for the future seems like a need, IOW. ‘Course, that doesn’t mean that one needs to be taken at #31. Lol.

Here’s how I see the draft strategy unfolding. Rams have a late 1st, no 2nd, and a couple of late 3rds at 94 and 99. Given those limited draft premium resources, and after FA so far, I see DL with the 1st. The two 3rds are anybody’s guess and depend on who falls. Hell, those picks could go in a dozen different directions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they think Boom has the right stuff for LT, then the addition of a top iOL even early in the draft could be a very good move for the line overall. It would allow them to have him compete with Big Whit in camp and take his snaps there for the entire season in practice even if he doesn't win the job.

We need two OL at a minimum in this draft IMO. And it's definitely a deep one at the position with a lot of options. Very excited to see how they build around our two young stud up and comers, because them adding more quality players at the position is good for all involved.

Oh and btw even if they take a Center up high I believe Allen will win that starting job (and I think he'll play well as a starter too). A full season of taking snaps there in practice vs our DL, plus understudy work with a proven veteran who showed him the ropes in line calls will be too much for a rook to overcome.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This guy (Allen) will have much to do with the Rams having a successful season, if Demby is also a keeper, life as a Rams fan will be looking good for several years, and Goff is gonna be a happy camper as well
train

You could say it can make or break the Rams hopes of a 2019 Super Bowl return

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
does that mean McVay doesn’t believe in Allen

I think it's safe to say that the person who did that mock draft doesn't know diddly shit about what McVay is thinking.

Here’s how I see the draft strategy unfolding. Rams have a late 1st, no 2nd, and a couple of late 3rds at 94 and 99. Given those limited draft premium resources, and after FA so far, I see DL with the 1st. The two 3rds are anybody’s guess and depend on who falls. Hell, those picks could go in a dozen different directions.

This move supports your redshirt theory

It was a great post by the way

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

It means the guys who do the public mocks generally don't know what we have, only know about Sullivan leaving and it's "plug and play" when we all know it's far more complicated than that.