Brett Hundley Baffles Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Okay. That's a valid point.

But then tell me is the process of re-conditioning Hundley's muscle memory to become a throw-first QB possible?
Ask Weinke, he's the QB coach.

But, IMO, his muscle memory is fine, he has good throwing mechanics, and his footwork looked pretty darn good at the combine. He needs to learn how to read NFL defenses. Film work, studying, picking our other QB's brains (like he did in the previous offseason with the Mannings, and Rivers), who he sought out. Continue practicing all the different drops (like I said, his footwork/drops looked good, so he's already put in work). Taking 1000's, of snaps under center, and game experience would all help.

Like jrry32 said, and I have a similar opinion, he will have to sit and learn a year. There's only one QB in this class, IMO that would be game ready this year.

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
I find myself continuing to flip flop on Hundley. He's an extremely polarizing prospect. The tools are there physically and the natural passing ability is there. But what I find myself unable to decide on are his instincts and mental processing speed.

Brains. Some guys got em. Some...just really don't. And the ones that don't, usually are able to get by on rare, freakish athleticism.

Hundley isn't freakish. Just a great all around athlete.

But, if he could just improve the mental aspect of the game, he could be a quality starter that won't lose you a lot of games if you put talent around him.

I wish I felt more confident about him. I mean, from all things, it seems like motivation and desire isn't a problem. But you easier can process quickly as a QB, or you can.'t. That's why there's so few good QBS.

He defo needs to sit a full year.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Seattle doesn't use the read option as the foundation of their offense. It's simply a play that they use every now and then. Russell Wilson is still operating within their WCO and they didn't dumb it down for him. They didn't tell him, "Russell, we don't think you can master our offense so just go through your primary read and then take off and run or check it down." They let Wilson actually run their offense.

If Hundley can't run our system, we shouldn't draft him. I'm not saying you don't model the offense to Hundley. I'm not saying that you prohibit Hundley from using his legs. I'm saying that you work with Hundley so that he can master the system the way it should be run mentally and be able to win with his arm...so that his legs are just a weapon he can use to supplement his ability to win with his arm.

I'm also saying you don't dumb down the offense and basically tell the guy, "go through a read and then take off." That's how you have a QB that runs himself into a bunch of sacks and puts your team in a lot of bad down and distances.

If we believe Hundley can't master our system and cannot win with his arm and mind after being developed then we shouldn't draft him. It's that simple. We should wait for a QB that can or go get a QB that can(trade up for one of the top two) rather than wasting a pick on a guy that will hinder our offense rather than elevate it.

I'm not baffled with Hundley at all. I see him for what his skills can do.

No where did I say I wanted to run a Bobby Douglass offense. But to deny leg talent and mobility is a mistake. It's just one more weapon that has to be defended.
Seattle doesn't have to break out the read option very often because just to have the ability to run it is enough to cause defenses to expend resources to defend against it. First thing a DC says when playing Wilson is not letting beating you with his legs.

The Rams really don't have a offensive system. Teams that switch OC's on average every couple years and haven't had a winning record in a decade can't boast of a system. It's like the Oline,yeah we'll fix that...Said every year, The profess to be a power running team. But don't seem to be able to maintain that. Every time Bradford goes down the game plan gets tweaked since the backups lack the arm talent to make some throws. They shrink the box.

Sooner or later the Rams are going to have to pull the trigger. A system fit might not be obtainable at less than a obscene cost. They screwed the pooch last year by not going up to get Carr, Bridgewater or grabbing Garopalo .

The clock is ticking.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
And didn't Pat Haden play for USC? Anyway Aikman has been the only one, but so has Brady for Michigan and Peyton Manning for Tennessee, so it only takes one!
In recent years, sportswriters have mentioned several schools as being appropriate for the designation. A 2005 ESPN article cited that, since 1988, Michigan sent as many starting quarterbacks to the NFL as the University of Miami. It argued that "three yards and a cloud of dust" is no longer the offensive philosophy at Michigan.[34] A year later, Rivals.com proclaimed that Michigan was "the new Quarterback U."[35][36] Elvis Grbac, Todd Collins, Tom Brady, Jim Harbaugh, Brian Griese and Chad Henne are some of the Wolverine quarterbacks that have gone on to start in the NFL

GO BLUE!

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
As for Hundley in the 1st? Hell no...
In the 2nd.. I'd love that regardless of what we do in FA...
in the 3rd and he's still there? I'll be driving to the Lou and rioting outside Snishers houses if he's not the pick!

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
champions.jpeg

Memphis Ram

Legend
Jim Mora: Brett Hundley not ready to start in NFL right away
  • 0ap1000000217559.jpg
  • By Chase Goodbread
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: March 10, 2015 at 03:30 p.m.
  • Updated: March 10, 2015 at 03:58 p.m.

There might not be a bigger fan of Brett Hundley than his former coach at UCLA, Jim Mora, but even Mora conceded Tuesday that Hundley isn't ready to be an immediate NFL starter in 2015.

"I think he's ready for the NFL. I don't know that he's ready to go in and start in the NFL," Mora said on NFL Network's broadcast of the Bruins' annual pro day event. "I think if he can find the right situation where he can go in and learn and have a couple years to work on his craft -- because he will work on it, his work ethic is off the charts, character is off the charts -- if he can get himself in the right situation where he's not thrown right into the starting lineup, then I think he can be a very productive NFL player."

If that sounds a bit familiar to Pac-12 fans, it should.

It's not unlike the way Pete Carroll, then the coach of USC, reacted to quarterback Mark Sanchez's decision to leave college early for the NFL. The primary difference? Carroll clearly wanted Sanchez to stay in college; Mora has never been critical of Hundley's decision to leave a year of NCAA eligibility behind.

What he is leaving that year behind for, Mora hopes, is an NFL club with an established starter at quarterback from whom Hundley can learn and develop without the immediate pressure of winning football games.

With Florida State's Jameis Winston and Oregon'sMarcus Mariota expected to be chosen early in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft, Hundley is amid a group of quarterbacks vying to position themselves as the third quarterback chosen. That might not happen until at least round two. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah has identified Colorado State'sGarrett Grayson as the draft's third-best quarterback prospect, although Grayson doesn't appear in Jeremiah's list of the draft's top 50 prospects.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-rookie-nfl-starter?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That has been pretty much everybody's contention. What this biased cherry picking article, from a live interview with Mora, doesn't mention, is that Hundley had a great Pro Day. He was 57 for 60, made every NFL throw, and his footwork was exceptional, on all of his drops. His spiral was crisp, and tight.

Hundley also has the fastest 20 yard shuttle time for a QB in NFL history.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...boosts-nfl-draft-stock-at-ucla-bruins-pro-day
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...boosts-nfl-draft-stock-at-ucla-bruins-pro-day
This is the whole interview, and I agree with what Mora says.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Doesn't seem like the rams will go after Hundley or any other QB high after the trade yesterday.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Doesn't seem like the rams will go after Hundley or any other QB high after the trade yesterday.
I hope they still do go after a QB, if they find value in one.

RamBill

Legend
Former UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley tells Jon Gruden why he can be a pocket passer and should be mentioned with Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota. Also, watch Hundley throw to wide receivers.

Watch Hundley in QB Camp

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Hundley has mentioned many times the Quarterback he respected the most was Donovan McNabb was his favorite and he does remind of him in some ways. When McNabb had his valleys, he was not accurate would miss wide open receivers from time to time, but then would make big plays when the chips were down.

If the Rams draft Hundley I would have no issue, but I also concur with your assessment, it would benefit him to sit for awhile. Be nice if the Rams could get a few years of a healthy Bradford with Hundley waiting in the wings.
Statwise McNabbs personal best was the game he played with a broken ankle,could not run, after that don't know if he ever had a better game ,but that was when he became a pocket passer

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Statwise McNabbs personal best was the game he played with a broken ankle,could not run, after that don't know if he ever had a better game ,but that was when he became a pocket passer
I always thought Randell Cunningham was much better later in his career, after he lost some of his mobility.