Brett Hundley Baffles Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I lot of that video is a guy not taking snaps under center, and a guy running. Hardly exciting. His eyes come down when there is any hint of a rush and he stares down his receivers. To me he is only viable if he sits for two full years at a minimum.
Not a Hundley guy. When I see him run the pistol I see a less physically gifted Kap.

I definitely see some Kaepernick in him but I wonder if he can be developed in a way that SF never did with Kaepernick.

fearsomefour

Legend
I definitely see some Kaepernick in him but I wonder if he can be developed in a way that SF never did with Kaepernick.
Who knows?
I see a guy who is a one look and run guy a fair amount of the time.
I am very much a pocket passer kind of guy, that is what I want.
I would not risk a first rounder on him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who knows?

Neither would I. But in the 2nd, I'd consider it.

I am a pocket passer type of guy but you can develop players...it just takes patience. I'd hope this regime would have the patience to do it. Hundley has tools.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Who knows?
I wouldnt risk a 2nd on him...or a 3rd. I don't think even with sitting a year or two that he could surpass Kraperdink. I like pocket passers that have enough mobility to roll out when needed and run for it as the last option.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If you take him then you gotta change the offense to fit him. A hot read, a glance at a 2nd then find a hole.

That's what he does best. Let him do it. If not odds are he's gonna bust. To force him to sit and try to be a pocket only passer is as stupid as it would have been drafting Bradford to run the read option.

To take away his play making with his legs he's a low round pick.
So draft him give him a dozen reads and let him roll
It doesn't matter how a team gets down the field, just that it gets down the field.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you take him then you gotta change the offense to fit him. A hot read, a glance at a 2nd then find a hole.

That's what he does best. Let him do it. If not odds are he's gonna bust. To force him to sit and try to be a pocket only passer is as stupid as it would have been drafting Bradford to run the read option.

To take away his play making with his legs he's a low round pick.
So draft him give him a dozen reads and let him roll
It doesn't matter how a team gets down the field, just that it gets down the field.

Don't agree with you. If you think he's incapable of running the offense, you don't draft him. It's that simple.

Teaching him how to win with his mind and arm does not take away his legs. It makes them more dangerous. Because when teams have to respect his arm, they can't put near as much focus on stopping him from running.

When nothing is there, he can tuck and run. If he has a seam and a big chunk of yards, tuck and run. But he's a QB, he should be pass first. This is the NFL.

Nothing stupid about teaching the guy how to be a pocket passer. They managed to teach McNabb, McNair, etc. So if you think Hundley can learn, you draft him.

If you don't think he can, you don't. It's that simple for me.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Don't agree with you. If you think he's incapable of running the offense, you don't draft him. It's that simple.

Teaching him how to win with his mind and arm does not take away his legs. It makes them more dangerous. Because when teams have to respect his arm, they can't put near as much focus on stopping him from running.

When nothing is there, he can tuck and run. If he has a seam and a big chunk of yards, tuck and run. But he's a QB, he should be pass first. This is the NFL.

Nothing stupid about teaching the guy how to be a pocket passer. They managed to teach McNabb, McNair, etc. So if you think Hundley can learn, you draft him.

If you don't think he can, you don't. It's that simple for me.
If a team invest a high pick in a QB who is going to be the long term starter you model the offense to His skills. This isn't like drafting a OLinemen that fits zbs only.
The Qb is the pivot for the offense. He is the action point. Every thing keys off him.
So what's a team to do, wait a couple years to have a chance to draft a perfect fit? That is if the same HC& OC are still with the team and if not that perfect fit has changed.

It's not to say that a qb like Hundley can't evolve as he plays, but sometimes you gotta nut up and make a pick and go with it.

I don't think Pete Carroll said " hey if I draft a read option capable qb I go to super bowl "
It just worked out that way

it's Bradford's last year with the Rams. Time to move on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a team invest a high pick in a QB who is going to be the long term starter you model the offense to His skills. This isn't like drafting a OLinemen that fits zbs only.
The Qb is the pivot for the offense. He is the action point. Every thing keys off him.
So what's a team to do, wait a couple years to have a chance to draft a perfect fit? That is if the same HC& OC are still with the team and if not that perfect fit has changed.

It's not to say that a qb like Hundley can't evolve as he plays, but sometimes you gotta nut up and make a pick and go with it.

I don't think Pete Carroll said " hey if I draft a read option capable qb I go to super bowl "
It just worked out that way

it's Bradford's last year with the Rams. Time to move on.

Seattle doesn't use the read option as the foundation of their offense. It's simply a play that they use every now and then. Russell Wilson is still operating within their WCO and they didn't dumb it down for him. They didn't tell him, "Russell, we don't think you can master our offense so just go through your primary read and then take off and run or check it down." They let Wilson actually run their offense.

If Hundley can't run our system, we shouldn't draft him. I'm not saying you don't model the offense to Hundley. I'm not saying that you prohibit Hundley from using his legs. I'm saying that you work with Hundley so that he can master the system the way it should be run mentally and be able to win with his arm...so that his legs are just a weapon he can use to supplement his ability to win with his arm.

I'm also saying you don't dumb down the offense and basically tell the guy, "go through a read and then take off." That's how you have a QB that runs himself into a bunch of sacks and puts your team in a lot of bad down and distances.

If we believe Hundley can't master our system and cannot win with his arm and mind after being developed then we shouldn't draft him. It's that simple. We should wait for a QB that can or go get a QB that can(trade up for one of the top two) rather than wasting a pick on a guy that will hinder our offense rather than elevate it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jrry- I'm a UCLA fan but I'm 100% with you. It's really hard to gauge his ceiling. He has a ton of raw talent IMO but hard to say what he might develop into.
I would be happy if we got him in the draft to develop though.
The one thing he has going for him which is all the more important, especially in our division, is he can move the chains with his feet. When I watch video of him I see a lot of good things and the flaws can be improved with good coaching.
And like you said, I hated the offense they ran so hard to know how he would run a pro style offense.

Question; Who was the Last good QB UCLA turned out?
Answer: Pat Haden!
Question; Should the Rams dip into that vast well at UCLA again!?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Question; Who was the Last good QB UCLA turned out?
Answer: Pat Haden! Troy Aikman

Question; Should the Rams dip into that vast well at UCLA again!?
Fixed it for you Dave....I still think Cade McKnown wasn't given a real chance...Matt Moore (another one) didn't stay long enough...But they got a real stud outta Bosco there now....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fixed it for you Dave....I still think Cade McKnown wasn't given a real chance...Matt Moore (another one) didn't stay long enough...But they got a real stud outta Bosco there now....
Thanks, I always forget about Troy going to UCLA! I should remember as my sister is a UCLA Grad.! ( But I hate the Cowboys so I don't tend to remember things about them!!):D

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like him jrry....I didn't like him too...All this season, I was against his whole game...but the way he talks, the reports about his work ethic, the UCLA offensive line struggles, that damn pistol offense, and his arm just convinced me that he'd be good for this team....Sometimes you have to take a leap...a leap of faith.....(y):cool:

This^...Good Arm, intelligent, athletic, huge hands and he was the crown jewel for Jim Mora that has made UCLA relevant again. His favorite Quarterback was Donovan McNabb and @jrry32 McNabb baffled many of Eagle fans. I truly believe Hundley will be like that. There will be times he will struggle, but will have the ability to make a big play at all times.

In the end I concur with @LACHAMP46...One small step for fans, one giant leap for Ramkind!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And didn't Pat Haden play for USC? Anyway Aikman has been the only one, but so has Brady for Michigan and Peyton Manning for Tennessee, so it only takes one!
You may be right, was it Mark Harmon that was at UCLA the same time Haden was at USC or vise versa?

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I am a UCLA fan and have seen about 5 games at the Rose Bowl the past 2 seasons. My positive opinion on Hundley has cooled a bit after this past season.

I wanted to first speak about his running. There is a perception that he runs for his life most of the time. I disagree. Hundley was sacked 41 times in 13 games. Only 9 teams gave up more sacks than the Bruins. If Hundley always ran when he was in trouble, he wouldn't have been sacked as much. Many times he was sacked while waiting for things to develop down field. On the other hand, during some of the games I saw in person, I could see receivers breaking open and he did not see them. So, I agree he will need time to develop his reading of defenses and learn to get rid of the ball when the internal timer goes off.

paceram

Pro Bowler
And didn't Pat Haden play for USC? Anyway Aikman has been the only one, but so has Brady for Michigan and Peyton Manning for Tennessee, so it only takes one!

You are absolutely correct! Pat Haden was definitely a Trojan!