Breer: Rams Will Work Out Winston & Mariota Next Week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It wouldn't shock me if they traded up for a QB. It would be far better to bring in a rookie now to learn behind Foles.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Why not do due diligence? Both guys played well at the college level and look to have the skills needed to be successful at the next level. It's unlikely either play for the Rams but makes sense to take a look at both in case they drop down or decide either is worth moving up for.

Exactly. Never know how the draft plays out

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Why not do due diligence? Both guys played well at the college level and look to have the skills needed to be successful at the next level. It's unlikely either play for the Rams but makes sense to take a look at both in case they drop down or decide either is worth moving up for.

Yeah , and it gives them a comparison between the guys at the top and the lesser so they can see if a 2nd or 3rd round guy is a terrible drop off which IMO some of the "others" may well become better NFL Qb's anyway.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just feel, you only get 30 visits correct? Bunch of small school guys don't have 5% of the film that Jameis & Marcus have, why not call in some DIII or DII superstar for a good looksie? I mean, the 6th & 7th rounders we draft lately, besides EJ, and maybe Rhaney have been garbage....Seriously, grab some talent that you really hardly know...we KNOW Marcus & Jameis....You don't know Connor from Colorado St. Pueblo

SierraRam

Recreational User
From USA Today:

VILLANOVA, Pa. — David Cornwell, lawyer for top NFL draft prospect Jameis Winston, told a tale of two trophies Friday in recounting Winston's meeting early last month with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. Though the star Florida State quarterback has had off-the-field issues, including a sexual assault allegation that resulted in no criminal charges, he was not summoned by Goodell to New York. Cornwell said he set up the meeting at Winston's request.

Cornwell said Winston has work to do in how he deals with his life in the NFL away from the game.
"Jameis is ready to be an NFL quarterback on the field, but he is not ready to be an NFL player off the field," said Cornwell.

No Thanks! He's a sure-fire distraction and not what we need in our final stages of rebuilding.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Tampa isnt moving. They need a QB so you can count Jameis as off the board unless we sell the future of the franchise for him. Mariota has a tiny chance of falling to us but I would advise trading down at that point to rack up more quiality picks and put some faith in Foles.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What if the Rams have no serious interest in drafting a QB this year? I know that they're bringing in all of them, but so what?

For example, I am among the many who thought the "Manziel interest" last year was merely a Kabuki dance. They were all in on Bradford all the time, IMO.

They realize that they have no realistic shot this year at Winston, and probably not at Mariota.

I think they may be underwhelmed with Hundley, Petty, and Grayson in the 2nd or 3rd round, preferring to spend those picks on quality starters at other positions. I've read many times that this trio will need time before being ready to truly start in the NFL, anyway.

In short, it's a poor QB class.

Maybe S/F would prefer going with the strength of this class at OL and WR? Using Alyo's blackjack strategy, kinda?

It sorta makes sense if you think about it. They've got Foles already in the fold. Yeah, he's on his final contract year, but if he can prove to be a franchise QB then that removes a helluva lot of pressure for seeking a starting QB in '16, doesn't it? Plus both Davis and Keenum have started and won games in this league, which is far more than any drafted rookie could say.

Finally, I understand that the QB class next year looks more promising. And we do have that Eagle 2nd to sweeten a trade up deal for a QB, if necessary.

I'm kinda leaning toward this strategy rather than spending a valuable 2nd for a QB that we would really be "settling" for in this draft.

What am I missing here?

Greg Stone

Rookie
Look at it this way, when drafting 10th it makes sense to work out all top ten players on your board so that if more than one is available at 10 they are prepared with a restacked board. Could be as simple as that.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
We should test their abilities at dodging incoming objects. that will be important for their survival. Can't see this as anything other than a smokescreen.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We almost always work out the top QBs. Even if we're not interested in one, they bring great trade value and you want to know exactly what they're worth if you're going to trade them away.

I'm sure we're not just judging trade value though, there's got to be significant interest. I'd be disappointed if we didn't work them out.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I think they just want to workout the prize QB s because they want to work out the prize QB s. Who wouldn't in their situation?

I would.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Since we play Tampa, Chicago, Cleveland, and Washington this year... Maybe we're game planning early? :sneaky:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just feel, you only get 30 visits correct? Bunch of small school guys don't have 5% of the film that Jameis & Marcus have, why not call in some DIII or DII superstar for a good looksie? I mean, the 6th & 7th rounders we draft lately, besides EJ, and maybe Rhaney have been garbage....Seriously, grab some talent that you really hardly know...we KNOW Marcus & Jameis....You don't know Connor from Colorado St. Pueblo

As I recall, they're working those guys out on their own campuses so it doesn't count as one of the 30 in house visits.

Regardless, there are reasons why they do these workouts with guys they know they are interested in.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
Just a thought. Maybe having a visit with J. Winston and M. Mariota has nothing at all to do with the Rams drafting either of them. It seems feasible that the Rams could be trying to gauge their respective worth for a trade down partner.
Example: Based on visit, Rams feel Mariota will fall to #6. What team might trade down to our #10 to position their final play for a #5 or# 6 deal for Mariota.
Too confusing ? Too convoluted ? We have 30 visits. No big deal. If one or the other falls to us..we're in. If a partner comes a knocking, we did due diligence.

Alan

Legend
brokeu91 thinking about camouflage:
Maybe it's a screen in that they actually want to work out someone else at Oregon and Florida State and trying to keep it on the down low by also working out Mariota and Winston
That's a very Machiavellian way to look at that. I like it. Probably not true but I'd love it if it is. :)

Alan

Legend
Rams43 Thinking we won't do well:
Finally, I understand that the QB class next year looks more promising. And we do have that Eagle 2nd to sweeten a trade up deal for a QB, if necessary.
The other points you made sounded reasonable to me but not this one. Unless you think we're not going to have a good year. Trading up from the top ten is much less expensive than trading up from a much lower 1st round pick isn't it? I think our drafting slot will be much lower (as in later in the draft) than where we're picking right now. I think we're going to address the O-line problems and we'll probably have a better QB and a better defense and the Whiners are descending. I'm not sure that the extra 2nd rounder would be enough to cover that.

I hope they don't draft one of them but if Mariota drops to #10 it might be difficult for them to pass on him. Especially if they like what they see in his workout and on tape.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It seems feasible that the Rams could be trying to gauge their respective worth for a trade down partner.

I agree. No question; any data gathered on any prospect is used in that manner.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The other points you made sounded reasonable to me but not this one. Unless you think we're not going to have a good year. Trading up from the top ten is much less expensive than trading up from a much lower 1st round pick isn't it? I think our drafting slot will be much lower (as in later in the draft) than where we're picking right now. I think we're going to address the O-line problems and we'll probably have a better QB and a better defense and the Whiners are descending. I'm not sure that the extra 2nd rounder would be enough to cover that.

I hope they don't draft one of them but if Mariota drops to #10 it might be difficult for them to pass on him. Especially if they like what they see in his workout and on tape.

I threw that last comment in as a "worst case scenario" in a '16 situation, Alan.

Let me first say that I have a high degree of confidence in the Foles/Cigs/Weinke trio for this year.

And trading up from #10 may be less costly in terms of picks, but the downside is that both Winston and Mariota have warts. Neither is considered close to an Andrew Luck can't miss talent.

The '16 QB draft, on the other hand, is considered to have more and better QB prospects than the '15 version. Therefore a better risk/reward ratio for us.

IOW, if we're picking in the mid to later twenties next year, doesn't that probably mean Foles had a good year? And if he had a good year, our QB problem has probably disappeared and we then have no need or desire to trade up for a QB in the first place. Problem solved. Lol.

Lastly, it is quite possible that the play of Foles this year might make the need for your proposed trade up totally unnecessary for both '15 AND '16. Best case scenario, I'll admit. But still...

I feel fairly comfortable with Davis and Keenum as our backups this year while we learn just what we've got with Foles.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Thanks for clarifying what you said @Rams43 and it makes more sense to me now.

You're probably right about the '16 QB class because how could it be any worse? :eek:

So now I agree with what you 're saying and I was picking nits anyway. :LOL: