Breer: Rams Will Work Out Winston & Mariota Next Week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

The Rams will work out Florida State QB Jameis Winston in Tallahassee and Oregon QB Marcus Mariota in Eugene next week.

The Rams, picking 10th, doing due diligence on a number of QBs here. Remember, they worked out Manziel last year, then passed on him twice.

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Rams will have private workouts for Jameis Winston at FSU and Marcus Mariota at Oregon per Albert Breer.

In addition. Baylor QB Bruce Petty has said he is visiting Rams Park.

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Rams have also shown varying degrees of interest in QBs Garrett Grayson, Brett Hundley, and Sean Mannion.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
They might both be falling. We have to look at them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...k-out-both-jameis-winston-and-marcus-mariota/

At this point I think I would pass on both. Our line isn't good enough for a rookie QB. I've learned my lesson with Bradford. Doesn't matter how good the QB is if you surround him with garbage.

Yes, it does still matter how good your QB is. And neither would be forced to start this year with Foles in town.

You don't pass on a guy you think can be a franchise QB because your OL needs work. You never know when you'll have another shot at a future franchise QB. You'll have plenty of shots at fixing the OL.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Yes, it does still matter how good your QB is. And neither would be forced to start this year with Foles in town.

You don't pass on a guy you think can be a franchise QB because your OL needs work. You never know when you'll have another shot at a future franchise QB. You'll have plenty of shots at fixing the OL.

I agree Jerry. If they think either of these two guys is the one, then go for it. He doesn't have to start straight away because we've got Foles. Most of the time when you draft a QB in the first round he's going to start pretty soon that season because you've obviously not got a real winner at that position (or you wouldn't be picking high enough to get the rookie anyway) but we're not in that position.

Probably academic anyway because the Bucs are taking one and the Jets the other I bet (if no one trades up).

FRO

Legend

To me Winston and Mariota aren't as clean of prospects as Luck, Bradford were coming out. They both have flaws that concern me. At this point I would give Foles a chance and just build around him with as good of talent as I can.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me Winston and Mariota aren't as clean of prospects as Luck, Bradford were coming out. They both have flaws that concern me. At this point I would give Foles a chance and just build around him with as good of talent as I can.

Good luck finding a QB. Because if that's your standard, there will be very few guys over the next 5-10 years that meet it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good luck finding a QB. Because if that's your standard, there will be very few guys over the next 5-10 years that meet it.

Jones and Kiel might meet that standard...if Jones gets out of Urban Meyer's grimy paws, and Kiel can harness his raw potential.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
We have to take Winston or Mariota if one of them falls. Never will understand the people that just want to use the draft to plug in needs for the football team. That isn't what the draft is about. The draft is to try and get as many good players as possible. I'm not passing on a Franchise Quarterback for an Offensive Guard because it fills a need on April 30th. That's a horrible way to draft.

FRO

Legend
We have to take Winston or Mariota if one of them falls. Never will understand the people that just want to use the draft to plug in needs for the football team. That isn't what the draft is about. The draft is to try and get as many good players as possible. I'm not passing on a Franchise Quarterback for an Offensive Guard because it fills a need on April 30th. That's a horrible way to draft.
So we discount the accuracy issues Mariota has, or the fact he played in a gimmicky offense in college? You will be hard pressed to find QBs who have had much success coming from a spread one read and run offense. Do we ignore the off field stuff with Winston? The tools are there. Do we ignore the turnovers with Winston? I can make a case that Cooper and White are better football players than Winston and Mariota. A QB isn't going to be a cure all for this team. Our QBs weren't good last year, but I think we used them as a bit of a scapegoat. The defense wasn't good early and the offensive line sucked all year. We can win next year if we fix the line.

Athos

Legend
If you draft a rookie QB, you still basically have two offseasons to get his o-line and weapons streamlined.

You'd still have FA next year and the draft next year before having to start either Winston or Mariota.

In any case, just gimme the fucking draft already. Who else is tired of waiting?

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
If you draft a rookie QB, you still basically have two offseasons to get his o-line and weapons streamlined.

You'd still have FA next year and the draft next year before having to start either Winston or Mariota.

In any case, just gimme the freaking draft already. Who else is tired of waiting?

+1000

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jones and Kiel might meet that standard...if Jones gets out of Urban Meyer's grimy paws, and Kiel can harness his raw potential.

Neither of them will live up to that standard barring a miracle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we discount the accuracy issues Mariota has, or the fact he played in a gimmicky offense in college? You will be hard pressed to find QBs who have had much success coming from a spread one read and run offense. Do we ignore the off field stuff with Winston? The tools are there. Do we ignore the turnovers with Winston? I can make a case that Cooper and White are better football players than Winston and Mariota. A QB isn't going to be a cure all for this team. Our QBs weren't good last year, but I think we used them as a bit of a scapegoat. The defense wasn't good early and the offensive line sucked all year. We can win next year if we fix the line.

Then do that. Arguing they're not franchise QBs is different than arguing that we shouldn't draft them because the OL isn't good enough yet.

We didn't use our QBs as scapegoats. They held this team back. They were the worst in the NFL in close games in the 4th quarter.

A franchise QB is a cure almost all for this team.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Neither of them will live up to that standard barring a miracle.

They're franchise quarterbacks. They have their warts, but they're fixable. Even Luck has flaws. No player is perfect.

paceram

Pro Bowler

Totally Agree!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
According to PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...k-out-both-jameis-winston-and-marcus-mariota/

So is this just a smoke screen? I could see a possible scenario where Marcus falls to #10. But there's no way that Winston falls to #10, are the Rams really willing to trade up to #1 to get him? I wonder what this is all about.

Maybe it's a screen in that they actually want to work out someone else at Oregon and Florida State and trying to keep it on the down low by also working out Mariota and Winston

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Fish and Co really want a qb they have no loyalty to Foles like they did with Bradford I'm thinking that now since he is gone it's open season for a qb

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Why not do due diligence? Both guys played well at the college level and look to have the skills needed to be successful at the next level. It's unlikely either play for the Rams but makes sense to take a look at both in case they drop down or decide either is worth moving up for.