Breaking down what each Rams free agency pickup brings to the table

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Up until a couple hours ago that would have been Green Bay's LOLB Nick Perry as a main want. Now, due to budget constraints, at least temporarily, i'd have to admit to Josh Gordon being a big want, even with the possibility of it backfiring. Not many on the do not want list as I have to trust that McVay & Phillips know full well what should work within their system. jmo.

YES. To everything... But what are these new budget constraints you speak of?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
YES. To everything... But what are these new budget constraints you speak of?

When comparing our available CAP to Cleveland's or San Francisco's, those kind of budget constraints. :LOL:

We are moving in the right direction, for sure, but to fill as many holes as we have, i'd prefer more picks and available CAP, ... obviously. Getting the right price for Tru will definitely smooth some nerves. jmo.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
When comparing our available CAP to Cleveland's or San Francisco's, those kind of budget constraints. :LOL:

We are moving in the right direction, for sure, but to fill as many holes as we have, i'd prefer more picks and available CAP, ... obviously. Getting the right price for Tru will definitely smooth some nerves. jmo.

Ahahaha oh :p

Yeah man I agree with you. In fact, this is what I've wanted to do since hearing about the Tru rumors... Package Tru + Barron for a 2nd & 3rd and the rights to Gordon. Someone mentioned adding in our 4th to this package (was it you?)... I like that idea, it sweetens it.

Like you said, we need a complete overhaul to resemble this new regime.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Might add that the Rams only CAP casualty so far is Tim Barnes, so i'm assuming the Rams are focusing on one particular free agent to fill an open roster spot prior to the draft. I hope we are as busy tomorrow as we were today. It's been a great start to the McSnead era. jmo.

I like the "McSnead". Is that a thing now?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I like the "McSnead". Is that a thing now?

Wish I could take credit, but I picked up on it about 2 days following the McVay signing, after another poster started it. I see many have now adopted it as it's easier than spelling out both names, it's just the latest variation since the Snisher days.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good wrote up.
The structure of the Whitworth deal makes sense and is smart.
I wanted the. Rams to draft Woods out of college. Glad to see Britt go and Woods come in.
The other cuts always miff me to a certain degree. I hate to see most players go.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
guys that are winning their battles are by necessity going to get more targets and produce.
Some guys that are winning battles in practice consistently don't even play. The human element is much in play, with who gets the "juice" in any arena.

Hey Jake...nice read my man...what I think we get: Professional-Leaders

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you guys for your reads and most importantly the discussion you have started. I appreciate it!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Nice Job as usual Jake. You are coming into your own very nicely.
Whitworth is a tremendous add, enough said. Roert Woods is a guy I have liked since his days here in L.A.
True the Bills are a run first team with a nice T.E and Sammy. Woods though has had his opportunities as a 1 with the oft injured Watkins nursing something or abother. I really think we need the downfield speedster or a size guy to allow Woods to shine. F.A and the draft may bring this. I like the signing. Nice WR add.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Nice stuff Jake
Just think when it comes to the contrract structure for Whitworth some serious cred has to go Demoff's way too - not just Snead or should i say McSnead :LOL:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'd personally like Josh Gordon somehow coming over. But I seriously doubt it. McVay is bringing in high class guys to build a culture in the locker room(Whitworth, Woods, Murray) so I seriously doubt he jeopardizes that with the complete opposite in Josh Gordon. Unless they believe 110% that's he a changed man. I just don't see it. But I do believe as well that Barwin will be making the trip to LA as well as Kayvon Webster. Ryan Groy for the bills would be nice too. Double up his salary and see if the bills match.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
There's an aspect to the Whitworth signing that everyone has missed on. The Rams OL, being so young and inexperienced, was constantly being "schooled". With the lack of experienced veterans (Saffold being the lone vet, never emerged as a leader among this group), Rams OL failed to recognize disguised blitz', got penetrated by trick moves and all sorts of "tricks of the trade" they were ignorant of.

Whitworth (and hopefully a vet center) will bring a sorely lacking veteran presence with knowledge of the "tricks of the trade" that come with experience this current OL does not have. It was a big reason why they regressed last year.

I lamented at the start of last season the lack of a true veteran after they let Reynolds go on the OL. I had hoped the coaching staff had recognized the importance of a seasoned veteran and the contributions a seasoned vet made. But they failed to bring a vet in and the OL regressed. A seasoned center would be another great addition and further solidify and further bring the younger O linemen up to NFL standards.

Whitworth's addition will be a huge asset not only in his personal level of play, but his input and knowing the "tricks of the trade" he can impart to the younger O linemen. A 'coach on the field" they lacked last season.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I used the term "McSnead" a few days after McVay was hired. Not sure if it was ever used before that. It was an easy jump from "Snisher" . Doesn't matter who used it first. Its going to stick weather they like it or not. :redcard: