Breaking down what each Rams free agency pickup brings to the table

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_ca35c0d116e742c88174d244fefd75c2~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...h-Rams-free-agency-pickup-brings-to-the-table

Alas, the new NFL season has kicked off and with the Rams so has a culture change after their recent signings today. I think it's about time we take a look at each one and what they bring to the Los Angeles Rams for not only this season but the future.

Andrew Whitworth, LT, 35 years old (3 years, 36 million dollars w/ 15 million dollars guaranteed)
227364_3d10f12a115b446692cc4c1804b33aeb~mv2.webp

Andrew Whitworth was the one signing I did not see coming at all. I felt as though Whitworth was eyeing a team like Denver or Seattle but the Rams really came to bat and offered Whitworth some serious money to get this deal done. There were other LT's out there so why Whitworth? First off Whitworth is a three-time Pro Bowler, and a former first-team All-Pro. Whitworth has been a perfect model of consistency over the years and that is exactly what the Rams haven't had at the second most important position on offense.

The Rams have gone through a brutal deal with Jake Long that blew up in their face but this deal is nothing like the risky one the Rams made for Long. Whitworth is older yes, but he is much better than Long was at the time of signing, Seven out of the last eight years Whitworth has started the entire season, he has only missed eight true starts in his career. This isn't a guy that is going to drop the ball because that's not in Whitworth's blood, he was ranked the second overall tackle in the league per Pro Football Focus and has shown no sign of age affecting his play.
227364_98661ee987d24ff39e8b83be7fb02490~mv2.png

The Rams poured some serious assets into a package that would end up allowing them to acquire their hopeful franchise QB Jared Goff with the first overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft. Goff has not had the protection he needs to succeed and far worse he didn't have the protection from his blind side. This move allows Goff to feel more comfortable knowing his blind side is taken care of by Whitworth.

Oh and the structure of this deal is brilliant on Snead's part. Whitworth's first year is fully guaranteed but then after that only some of year two is guaranteed and none of year three is guaranteed. If the Rams get what they expect out of Whitworth he will retire with the Rams, but even if they don't the Rams have a way out of this deal without crippling themselves.

Overall, Whitworth's job is to protect Goff now while the Rams look for a future cornerstone left tackle possibly in the draft this year or next year. This signing gives the Rams stability to move disgruntled former No.2 overall draft pick Greg Robinson at guard. The Rams have not had a LT this caliber since Orlando Pace so this should be a breath of fresh air for Rams fans and of course Jared Goff.

Robert Woods, WR, 24 years old (5 years, 39 million w/ 15 million dollars guaranteed)
227364_32def861424d4ed798c0d197bfb1a475~mv2.webp

The signing I knew was coming for the Rams was the move to bring Robert Woods back to the coliseum where he played college football. The Rams lost Kenny Britt to the Cleveland Browns on a similar deal but it seemed as though he wanted to test the market more than re-sign. While many include myself also believed Pierre Garcon was going to follow his offensive coordinator and go to the Rams, I knew Woods was who McVay was going to target to fill that Garcon role.

Robert Woods is 24 years old and just signed a five-year deal with a team that is allowing him to come back and play close to home. Woods has always been a player I have liked since the draft, the Bills used a second round pick on him but he never was given the chance to live up to that selection. With the Bills trading up and drafting dynamic No.1 WR Sammy Watkins it basically left Woods in a cloud as Watkins was receiving the majority of the targets. Now, normally a No.2 WR receives the brunt of the passes too, however in Buffalo the offensive is more emphasized on running the football. During Woods' four years with the Bills, three out of those four times the Bills had over 2,200 team rushing yards. It's apparent Woods was never given the opportunity to take over as a starting WR.

In this case Woods comes to the Rams as the No.1 WR across the field from Tavon Austin and likely with Pharoh Cooper in the slot. The Rams are very likely to draft or make a move for another WR to go alongside Woods, perhaps in the form of Kamar Aiken, Andre Holmes, Marquess Wilson or even Josh Gordon who all have crazy size and speed combinations. Regardless, what many think this is a good move for the Rams they are paying less than Woods' actual market value of eight million annually per Spotrac and it could even up paying off in a huge way. If not, the way the contract is based is that Woods is only guaranteed 15 of his nearly 40 million million dollars. If he doesn't pan out the Rams are not pigeon holed.

Aaron Murray, QB, 26 years old (Contract unknown at this time)
227364_c5d57709e349449184b0065012918cfb~mv2_d_3444_2358_s_2.webp

Lastly out of the bunch of the Rams free agent signings today was Aaron Murray who played backup QB for the Chiefs but is more known for being the QB at Georgia. Murray comes into a situation that seems as though he will be the No.3 quarterback in training camp. Sources have stressed that the coaching staff likes Sean Mannion and he will remain the backup to Jared Goff. Murray is a nice move and in my opinion, if he makes the roster the Rams are deep at QB.

Murray played at Georgia with Todd Gurley of course and the two friends will be reunited again. No need for jersey swapping now. These two are reunited in one of the low key moves that you can't hate.
227364_ddf6c1039c714368a44ca8f4ee627c06~mv2.webp

Stay tuned of course for plenty more Rams content as the free agency period rolls along. You can follow us on Twitter here @DowntownRams and on Facebook here @DowntownRams

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
227364_ca35c0d116e742c88174d244fefd75c2~mv2_d_2048_1365_s_2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...h-Rams-free-agency-pickup-brings-to-the-table

Alas, the new NFL season has kicked off and with the Rams so has a culture change after their recent signings today. I think it's about time we take a look at each one and what they bring to the Los Angeles Rams for not only this season but the future.

Andrew Whitworth, LT, 35 years old (3 years, 36 million dollars w/ 15 million dollars guaranteed)
227364_3d10f12a115b446692cc4c1804b33aeb~mv2.webp

Andrew Whitworth was the one signing I did not see coming at all. I felt as though Whitworth was eyeing a team like Denver or Seattle but the Rams really came to bat and offered Whitworth some serious money to get this deal done. There were other LT's out there so why Whitworth? First off Whitworth is a three-time Pro Bowler, and a former first-team All-Pro. Whitworth has been a perfect model of consistency over the years and that is exactly what the Rams haven't had at the second most important position on offense.

The Rams have gone through a brutal deal with Jake Long that blew up in their face but this deal is nothing like the risky one the Rams made for Long. Whitworth is older yes, but he is much better than Long was at the time of signing, Seven out of the last eight years Whitworth has started the entire season, he has only missed eight true starts in his career. This isn't a guy that is going to drop the ball because that's not in Whitworth's blood, he was ranked the second overall tackle in the league per Pro Football Focus and has shown no sign of age affecting his play.
227364_98661ee987d24ff39e8b83be7fb02490~mv2.png

The Rams poured some serious assets into a package that would end up allowing them to acquire their hopeful franchise QB Jared Goff with the first overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft. Goff has not had the protection he needs to succeed and far worse he didn't have the protection from his blind side. This move allows Goff to feel more comfortable knowing his blind side is taken care of by Whitworth.

Oh and the structure of this deal is brilliant on Snead's part. Whitworth's first year is fully guaranteed but then after that only some of year two is guaranteed and none of year three is guaranteed. If the Rams get what they expect out of Whitworth he will retire with the Rams, but even if they don't the Rams have a way out of this deal without crippling themselves.

Overall, Whitworth's job is to protect Goff now while the Rams look for a future cornerstone left tackle possibly in the draft this year or next year. This signing gives the Rams stability to move disgruntled former No.2 overall draft pick Greg Robinson at guard. The Rams have not had a LT this caliber since Orlando Pace so this should be a breath of fresh air for Rams fans and of course Jared Goff.

Robert Woods, WR, 24 years old (5 years, 39 million w/ 15 million dollars guaranteed)
227364_32def861424d4ed798c0d197bfb1a475~mv2.webp

The signing I knew was coming for the Rams was the move to bring Robert Woods back to the coliseum where he played college football. The Rams lost Kenny Britt to the Cleveland Browns on a similar deal but it seemed as though he wanted to test the market more than re-sign. While many include myself also believed Pierre Garcon was going to follow his offensive coordinator and go to the Rams, I knew Woods was who McVay was going to target to fill that Garcon role.

Robert Woods is 24 years old and just signed a five-year deal with a team that is allowing him to come back and play close to home. Woods has always been a player I have liked since the draft, the Bills used a second round pick on him but he never was given the chance to live up to that selection. With the Bills trading up and drafting dynamic No.1 WR Sammy Watkins it basically left Woods in a cloud as Watkins was receiving the majority of the targets. Now, normally a No.2 WR receives the brunt of the passes too, however in Buffalo the offensive is more emphasized on running the football. During Woods' four years with the Bills, three out of those four times the Bills had over 2,200 team rushing yards. It's apparent Woods was never given the opportunity to take over as a starting WR.

In this case Woods comes to the Rams as the No.1 WR across the field from Tavon Austin and likely with Pharoh Cooper in the slot. The Rams are very likely to draft or make a move for another WR to go alongside Woods, perhaps in the form of Kamar Aiken, Andre Holmes, Marquess Wilson or even Josh Gordon who all have crazy size and speed combinations. Regardless, what many think this is a good move for the Rams they are paying less than Woods' actual market value of eight million annually per Spotrac and it could even up paying off in a huge way. If not, the way the contract is based is that Woods is only guaranteed 15 of his nearly 40 million million dollars. If he doesn't pan out the Rams are not pigeon holed.

Aaron Murray, QB, 26 years old (Contract unknown at this time)
227364_c5d57709e349449184b0065012918cfb~mv2_d_3444_2358_s_2.webp

Lastly out of the bunch of the Rams free agent signings today was Aaron Murray who played backup QB for the Chiefs but is more known for being the QB at Georgia. Murray comes into a situation that seems as though he will be the No.3 quarterback in training camp. Sources have stressed that the coaching staff likes Sean Mannion and he will remain the backup to Jared Goff. Murray is a nice move and in my opinion, if he makes the roster the Rams are deep at QB.

Murray played at Georgia with Todd Gurley of course and the two friends will be reunited again. No need for jersey swapping now. These two are reunited in one of the low key moves that you can't hate.
227364_ddf6c1039c714368a44ca8f4ee627c06~mv2.webp

Stay tuned of course for plenty more Rams content as the free agency period rolls along. You can follow us on Twitter here @DowntownRams and on Facebook here @DowntownRams

Great write up Jake! I also think you're doing a really good job with Downtownrams.com ... Keep it up sir! (let me know if you need any design help!)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Might add that the Rams only CAP casualty so far is Tim Barnes, so i'm assuming the Rams are focusing on one particular free agent to fill an open roster spot prior to the draft. I hope we are as busy tomorrow as we were today. It's been a great start to the McSnead era. jmo.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Hey, I respect that you were right about Woods, I wasn't sold. Nice job.

TexasRam

Legend
Good write up bro.

Personally I wouldn't shell out 8million on a player that hasn't been productive. I understand the arguement that the bills were run first and Sammy Watkins was getting targets. But I'm fully convinced that if a WR is given a few years he will produce and then get targeted more and more. Since the nature of the game is wrought with intense scrutiny and pressure to win, guys that are winning their battles are by necessity going to get more targets and produce.

Projection is the devil in this sport.

Great job in providing the note about out strategies avaialable because we may need them.

Whitworth was a tremendous signing so I am staying positive!!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great write up Jake! I also think you're doing a really good job with Downtownrams.com ... Keep it up sir! (let me know if you need any design help!)
Thank you sir! Will do! Might be switching my site over to a new host in the near future. Wix hasn't been able to hold up with my demands or my audience...

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Good write up bro.

Personally I wouldn't shell out 8million on a player that hasn't been productive. I understand the arguement that the bills were run first and Sammy Watkins was getting targets. But I'm fully convinced that if a WR is given a few years he will produce and then get targeted more and more. Since the nature of the game is wrought with intense scrutiny and pressure to win, guys that are winning their battles are by necessity going to get more targets and produce.

Projection is the devil in this sport.

Great job in providing the note about out strategies avaialable because we may need them.

Whitworth was a tremendous signing so I am staying positive!!
Thank you very much and I fully understand and respect that opinion on Woods. I think we are entering a league where 8 million will be going to the average or slight above average WRs. The market is going to be blown open with Garcon and Jackson's contracts... Yes I will offer some other strategies. I actually believe Connor Barwin (who was released by the Eagles today will reunite with Wade Phillips in LA. Book it!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Excellent breakdown, thank you.
Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate you reading. You are very welcome of course I will try to put out more of these articles for future signings and of course a profile of each draft pick the Rams make Stay tuned...

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Thank you very much and I fully understand and respect that opinion on Woods. I think we are entering a league where 8 million will be going to the average or slight above average WRs. The market is going to be blown open with Garcon and Jackson's contracts... Yes I will offer some other strategies. I actually believe Connor Barwin (who was released by the Eagles today will reunite with Wade Phillips in LA. Book it!

What are your thoughts on Josh Gordon? Do you think he's been on our radar?

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Hey, I respect that you were right about Woods, I wasn't sold. Nice job.
Thank you very much! I appreciate that. I think another move i'll be right about is Connor Barwin to LA.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
What are your thoughts on Josh Gordon? Do you think he's been on our radar?
Getting some mixed feelings. I actually think he is going to come super cheap so he might be the target. I am hoping because him and woods would be a hell of a show to watch. If the Rams get another WR that shows me they are eyeing Evan Engram to be the Jordan Reed of this offense.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Might add that the Rams only CAP casualty so far is Tim Barnes, so i'm assuming the Rams are focusing on one particular free agent to fill an open roster spot prior to the draft. I hope we are as busy tomorrow as we were today. It's been a great start to the McSnead era. jmo.
WAS! They just released Eugene Sims and Lance Kendricks. Even traded Will Hayes away. Now we have about 17 million in cap space.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Getting some mixed feelings. I actually think he is going to come super cheap so he might be the target. I am hoping because him and woods would be a hell of a show to watch. If the Rams get another WR that shows me they are eyeing Evan Engram to be the Jordan Reed of this offense.

I like it but would Engram even be there for our 2nd?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
WAS! They just released Eugene Sims and Lance Kendricks. Even traded Will Hayes away. Now we have about 17 million in cap space.

Yeah, not my best timing, ... off by just minutes. Anyway, i'm happy as hell as all 4 of our cut/traded players had been predicted in my mocks, Tru & Barron would make for a complete sweep. Let's double that $17.mil.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I like it but would Engram even be there for our 2nd?
We have an early second my man. But you are right to question it. I don't really know I think if Engram is gone you go BPA. Obviously I want Chris Godwin or JuJu if Godwin is gone and I like Pocic.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Yeah, not my best timing, ... off by just minutes. Anyway, i'm happy as hell as all 4 of our cut/traded players had been predicted in my mocks, Tru & Barron would make for a complete sweep. Let's double that $17.mil.
We were both right on things this off-season. It always feels good. Be careful though, if you are right too much you might go on an ego trip...Anyway enough talk about ego and lets start discussing! Name 1 player you...want, don't want and believe we are going to sign regardless if you want or dont want them.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If they are interested enough they can try and trade up for him.
I would hope if they liked him enough they would. He's going to be a nightmare to defend.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Name 1 player you...want, don't want and believe we are going to sign regardless if you want or dont want them.

Up until a couple hours ago that would have been Green Bay's LOLB Nick Perry as a main want. Now, due to budget constraints, at least temporarily, i'd have to admit to Josh Gordon being a big want, even with the possibility of it backfiring. Not many on the do not want list as I have to trust that McVay & Phillips know full well what should work within their system. jmo.