Breaking Down St. Louis Rams Roster After the 2015 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-louis-ramss-roster-after-the-2015-nfl-draft

Breaking Down St. Louis Rams Roster After the 2015 NFL Draft
By Steven Gerwel, Featured Columnist May 6, 2015

hi-res-9c5d8ba11973830bf981116bb65a34bc_crop_north.jpg

The St. Louis Rams roster just got a lot bigger thanks to the 2015 NFL draft as well as the feeding frenzy on undrafted rookies.

Head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead used the draft to totally rebuild the offense, particularly the offensive line and run game. With so many new faces, it'll be interesting to see how things play out in training camp.

There's still time for roster moves and free-agent additions. But for now, we'll cover the current roster following the draft.

Quarterback
hi-res-1264dc7a29ca12cf777153f3f858ac4a_crop_north.jpg

Timothy J. Gonzalez/Associated Press

Starter:Nick Foles

Depth: Case Keenum, Sean Mannion, Austin Davis

Nick Foles will take over the offense as the unquestioned starter. Rams fans are thrilled just to have a passer with two good knees and Pro Bowl potential.

Case Keenum and Sean Mannion will duke it out for the No. 2 job. Keenum will likely win out due to his experience, but Mannion will stick around. The Rams didn't spend a third-rounder on Mannion just to give up on him after one year.

Austin Davis will have a tough time making the cut, but his experience in the system could be beneficial. The Rams will give him a chance, but he'll likely make the roster only if there's an injury.

Running Back
hi-res-3cfe90a6ec0046da04a2dcfa9bb08f28_crop_north.jpg

John Bazemore/Associated Press

Starter:
Todd Gurley

Depth: Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, Trey Watts, Isaiah Pead, Chase Reynolds, Malcolm Brown, Zach Laskey

Todd Gurley is the workhorse back of the future, but the Rams will not rush him back from his knee injury. He'll likely see action in 2015, but it'll be in small doses. Expect his carries to increase as the year progresses.

That's not a major issue for St. Louis. Tre Mason was excellent during his rookie campaign. He rushed for 765 yards despite carrying the ball just 179 times.

Benny Cunningham will see action as a third-down receiving back, and second-year pro Trey Watts will see some occasional action on offense.

The rest of the group better learn how to excel on special teams.

Wide Receiver/Tight End
hi-res-2027caef9077ffdd7fa1fdb5c037fecb_crop_north.jpg

Tom Gannam/Associated Press

Starting Receivers:
Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin (Slot)

Starting Tight Ends: Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks

Depth Receivers: Stedman Bailey, Chris Givens, Bud Sasser, Damian Williams, Devon Wylie, Tyler Slavin

Depth Tight Ends: Cory Harkey, Alex Bayer, Justice Cunningham, Mason Brodine, Brad Smelley

The St. Louis receivers have the potential to be productive in 2015. It depends on how well the offensive line can protect Foles.

Kenny Britt was the top receiver in 2014 (48 catches, 748 yards) and has shocked the doubters by stepping up as a veteran leader.

Brian Quick will be the top receiver next season if he can return to his 2014 form. He was on his way to a breakout campaign last year, but a devastating shoulder injury ended his season prematurely.

As for Tavon Austin, it's difficult to say what the expectations will be. The coaching staff hasn't utilized him properly, but his few touches in 2014 were unimpressive. He caught 31 passes and averaged a miserable 7.8 yards per catch last season.

Stedman Bailey should see an increase in his reps, but Chris Givens and Bud Sasser will struggle for playing time.

At tight end, Jared Cook is an excellent target. He struggles with inconsistency and isn't a great blocker, but he'll be a key target for Foles.

Lance Kendricks will see some action in the passing game, but his primary duties will be as a run-blocker.

Offensive Line
hi-res-438219b7a842a69906529bacc807408b_crop_north.jpg

John Froschauer/Associated Press

Starters:
Greg Robinson (Left Tackle) , Rodger Saffold (Left/Right Guard), Tim Barnes (Center), Jamon Brown (Left/Right Guard), Rob Havenstein (Right Tackle)

Depth: Barrett Jones, Garrett Reynolds, Brandon Washington, Demetrius Rhaney, Andrew Donnal, Steven Baker, Cody Wichmann, Travis Bond, Darrell Williams

The offensive line was the biggest need this offseason, but the Rams answered by bombarding the position with new talent during the 2015 draft.

The Rams drafted four offensive linemen—Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann—and signed Darrell Williams as an undrafted rookie.

The success of this unit heavily depends on Greg Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick in 2014. If he reaches his potential at left tackle this season, he'll make the entire unit better.

The team will count on Rodger Saffold and Tim Barnes as the veterans of the group. Barnes has only four career starts, but he's been playing in Fisher's system since 2012.

Barrett Jones could unseat Barnes as the starting center, but he'll need to prove that he can stay healthy.

Defensive Line
hi-res-97de7f1c2156361e81d5271a699639b5_crop_north.jpg

Ben Margot/Associated Press

Starting Defensive Ends: Chris Long (Left End), Robert Quinn (Right End)

Starting Defensive Tackles: Aaron Donald (3-Technique), Michael Brockers (1-Technique)

Depth: Nick Fairley, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Ethan Westbrooks, Doug Worthington, Martin Ifedi, Louis Trinca-Pasat

The 2015 defensive line will be tremendous. The top five members (all four starters, plus Nick Fairley) are former top-15 draft picks. As a result, there's not a 4-3 defense in the NFL with a more talented front.

Veterans William Hayes and Eugene Sims provide excellent depth at defensive end, and second-year pro Ethan Westbrooks is itching for a chance to get on the field.

If the Rams break out in 2015, it'll be this unit that carries the team to the playoffs.

Linebacker
hi-res-ee05b2205b644fc6abc42f4ebbcda9aa_crop_north.jpg

Colin E. Braley/Associated Press

Starters:
Akeem Ayers (Strong Side), James Laurinaitis (Middle), Alec Ogletree (Weak Side)

Depth: Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Daren Bates, Marshall McFadden, Korey Toomer, Bryce Hager

Akeem Ayers, James Laurinaitis and Alec Ogletree will team up to give St. Louis its best trio of starting linebackers in a long time.

Ayers is a clear upgrade over Jo-Lonn Dunbar. And while Laurinaitis is not vicious enough for a Fisher defense, he is serviceable and a team leader.

Dunbar will be the fourth man, and the Rams will expect the rest to contribute on special teams.

Secondary
hi-res-66a304c1cd0450c806aad65c53f89913_crop_north.jpg

Michael Zito/Associated Press

Starting Cornerbacks: Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Lamarcus Joyner (Slot)

Starting Safeties: T.J. McDonald, Mark Barron

Cornerback Depth: E.J. Gaines, Marcus Roberson, Brandon McGee

Safety Depth: Rodney McLeod, Mo Alexander, Cody Davis, Christian Bryant

Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson will hold down the outside, while 2014 second-round pick Lamarcus Joyner will get his shot in the slot.

Some might be surprised to see E.J. Gaines listed as depth, given that he started 15 games last season. He has a shot at beating out Jenkins or Johnson, but let's remember that Johnson's injury was the only reason Gaines got his shot.

Hard hitters T.J. McDonald and Mark Barron will start at safety. Expect Rodney McLeod and Mo Alexander to get some reps as well.

Special Teams
hi-res-6fc580d5b3e50300a2a4e9616459511e_crop_north.jpg

Patrick Semansky/Associated Press

Starters: Greg Zuerlein (Kicker), Johnny Hekker (Punter), Jake McQuaide (Long Snapper)

Depth: Michael Palardy (Punter)

There are no surprises on special teams this year. The same three members who have held down the fort since 2012 will do so again in 2015.

Greg Zuerlein has booming leg strength but needs to work on his accuracy.

Johnny Hekker and Jake McQuaide are both excellent, so they just need to keep doing what they do.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
The problem is that when Gaines got his opportunity, he out preformed Johnson. Gains will start

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would prefer that Tru regains his role as a starter. He has good size at 6'2" and it's important to have that matchup when you consider some of the bigger receivers that we'll face over the course of a season and within the division.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I would prefer that Tru regains his role as a starter. He has good size at 6'2" and it's important to have that matchup when you consider some of the bigger receivers that we'll face over the course of a season and within the division.

Size doesn't matter all that much. If you can blanket a receiver then the QB is less likely to throw it to him.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i'm thinking jenkins and johnson realize they are playing for a new and bigger? contract next season and time to breakout from being average. at least i hope they realize this.

Ram65

Legend
Let's have some competition for a change. I think Barron plays more of a supporting role in specialty packages while Rodney McLeod starts. Either way it's great that we have good debates on who starts for a change.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think they'll slide Gaines into the slot. You have to field your best players, and it's gotta be Gaines over Joyner.

I still hope they find a way to get him (Joyner) on the field, but with the big nickel packages and McLeod turning a corner at FS last year, I'm not sure where he finds a lot of playing time. If anything, that competition ensures some balls to the wall play from these guys in the secondary.

UDFA
Can't take any evaluation seriously when they don't even know who's playing what.
McLeod is the FS. Period.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Which is why I think Gaines gets more playing time. I can see them letting Tru Johnson walk.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Question:
How will Fisher use Mason, Cunningham, and Gurley? and does anyone know if Gurley will be ready to start the season?

…..

Legend
He didnt mention Jacob Hagan or Jay Hughes. I'm sure we cant reasonably expect more than a couple of these UDFA's to make the squad but Hagan is a serious ballhawk and Hughes was a 5th year player and Defensive Captain of an SEC team who is also a coaches son. These two arent coming into camp to be tackle dummies, I can assure you that. Its just my opinion but I see Mo Alexander and Rodney McCloud as vulnerable on the defensive side.

Of the two, I give Hagan the better chance for his size and ability to make eye catching, attention grabbing plays. Hughes is almost exactly the same size as Rodney McCloud and comes with a few injury concerns. Hughes actually had a 6th year of eligibility due to losing all of 2013 with a ruptured achillies.

May the battles begin!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jenkins is a TD waiting to happen. In both directions. He is the highest scoring DB in the league if I'm not mistaken. I would almost rather keep him.

JJ is the bigger off the field risk.

Normally I take what I read on Twitter and laugh along with the players. They have a dream lifestyle, have fun with it.

But JJ is different. He says "he's speaking his mind", instead I see a serious lapse in common sense demonstrating clearly his on the field instincts are better than his off the field instincts.

I hate to say that as a Rams fan. I'll root for him on game day... but I worry how he'll handle a pay day.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We've got a nice little team there - did they change the roster size in the end? I know there was talk about it - We've got way too many RBs! Loving our d-line and its depth :) I'm hoping our o-line delivers too!