Brandin Cooks Traded to Houston Texans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
i’d say Cooks had little chance of fighting thru the pass interference on the second pass in question.

The Super Bowl will bother all of us for many reasons, the main fact was the Rams played their worst game of the year and Cooks was part of it. My main concern was Cooks is one hit away from retirement and the fact, he lowers his head to protect himself actually makes him more of a target.

At the time, it seemed like the right move and I do believe Cooks speed aided McVay's offense significantly, but @RamDino posted it best, it's time to get bigger and with the likes of Samuel, Metcalf & Hopkins in the division, the Los Angeles Rams need to find the right receiver in round two.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I'm excited about this. People haven't seen McVay run much 12 personnel since his days in DC, and that was with different players. I'm really hoping Everett can take a leap similar to what Higbee did last year, as well as getting his blocking game together.

More generally, our offense is going to look a lot different going into the season, and defensive coordinators are not going to find much value in the film of 2017-2019. This alone has the potential to put McVay a step ahead of opposing defenses, and we don't know what new wrinkles he will add.

A lot of changes for sure, but a lot of potential to go with those changes.
It will be able to control the clock w/ (primarily) the pass. And give our RBs that extra bigger blocker. Like you said. Interesting once the pieces are in order.

Tano

Legend
The Super Bowl will bother all of us for many reasons, the main fact was the Rams played their worst game of the year and Cooks was part of it. My main concern was Cooks is one hit away from retirement and the fact, he lowers his head to protect himself actually makes him more of a target.

At the time, it seemed like the right move and I do believe Cooks speed aided McVay's offense significantly, but @RamDino posted it best, it's time to get bigger and with the likes of Samuel, Metcalf & Hopkins in the division, the Los Angeles Rams need to find the right receiver in round two.
This

I like Cooks but I am deathly afraid he was going to be one hit away from not being able to function at all (not just football).

I would like Cooks to retire.

Tano

Legend
I would have to agree if Cooks was stronger at fighting for the ball he could have caught the first pass for a TD. Goff still hung that one up a little late and a little weak. i’d say Cooks had little chance of fighting thru the pass interference on the second pass in question.
Although unlikely, I have seen receivers catch with one hand before.

It's too bad though. Cooks would have been up there at the top end of great catches in the superbowl and would be a highlight film for years if he had been able to come down with it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A little SB refresher

54 plays, 291 Total yards offense (not including sacks)
Gurley: 12 plays (22.2%) , 34 yards (11.7%) 2.83 yards per play
CJ Anderson: 10 plays (18.5%), 34 yards (11.7%) 3.4 yards per play
Woods: 11 plays (20.4%), 75 yards (25.8%) 6.82 yards per play
Reynolds: 7 plays (13%), 28 yards (9.6%) 5 yards per play
Everett: 1 play (1.9%), 0 yards (0%) 0 yards per play

Cooks: 13 plays (24.1%), 120 yards (41.2%) 9.23 yards per play

Goff- 19/38 50% comp
Woods- 5 rec/10 targets 50% catch rate
Reynolds- 3 rec/7 targets 43% catch rate

Cooks- 8 rec/13 targets 62% catch rate

So #12 had over 40% of the total yards, averaged almost a 1st down per play and had the highest catch rate of all the receivers and yet, Cooks is somehow the Goat of this game? Just amazing to me

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A little SB refresher

Goff- 19/38 50% comp

So #12 had over 40% of the total yards, averaged almost a 1st down per play and had the highest catch rate of all the receivers and yet, Cooks is somehow the Goat of this game? Just amazing to me
That's what happens when your team scores 3 points and you drop 2 touchdowns.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'm a huge Cooks fan. Many of you know that. But I am thinking this may be the best way it works out for us. Of course I don't know how it effects our cap. Personally, I would rather see Cooks retire but the Rams couldn't make that decision for him. I fear for his health and wish him the best. I think he has lots of football in him as long as he avoids concussions. I just don't have much faith that he can.

Peace out Brandin and I wish you well.

Couldn't have said it any better, I like Cooks also but this is a good out for us.

Tano

Legend
When I first saw this post and with my memory going, my first thought...

Is this the April 1 post that Memento did? How is heck did it get to 12 pages.

And then I saw it was realo_O

I was going - Bob? Really? Good trade to get rid of a 21 salary and a guy that is one concussion away from out of football imho.

I want to see the new mock drafts with a receiver coming to the Rams in the second round now >> Jrry

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I wonder about the cap. Have read a lot over the past 12 hours but none of the reports provide detail.

Read early in the off-season that Cooks counted $16.8M against the cap but if released, the Dead-$ was greater at $17.8M. OK, costs less to keep him, then release him.

Later, there was a a$4M roster bonus that kicked in and the Dead-$ for releasing Cooks increased from $17.8M to $21.8M. And that $21.8M has been reported.

However, Cooks was traded and not released. Houston will pay his $8M salary this year. Common sense tells me that the Dead-$ should be the difference which is $13.8M (21.8 - 8).

I am always reluctant to accept the early reports on salary cap implications.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Signing bonus - 4 x 1.4 = 5.6
Option bonus - 4 x 3.4 = 13.6
Roster bonus - 1 x 4 = 4

That total comes to $23.2m.

His cap hit if he was on the team.

Salary - 8
Roster bonus - 4
Signing bonus - 1.4
Option bonus - 3.4

That total comes to $16.8m.

I work out the rams cap hit for cooks increased by $6.4m.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Our 2019 Rams had versions of Cooks and Gurley that, statistically, we should be able to upgrade from.

I think this also speaks to the fact the Rams don’t see them as the same players anymore. We need to consider that.

More balls toward Everett doesn’t sound bad to me. And... great draft for adding a WR or something of value for Cooks.
I do think that TGs goal line talent will be missed. He has been incredible at getting into the End Zone.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The below is from enemy territory propaganda machine read @ own risk!:censored:

Last edited:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
So right now we have Woods, Kupp, Reynolds and Webster as our main receiver. I honestly dont even think we need to grab a WR in the 2nd considering how great Higs and Everett can be as receiving weapons. I wouldnt mine using that 2nd rd on our oline.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder about the cap. Have read a lot over the past 12 hours but none of the reports provide detail.

Read early in the off-season that Cooks counted $16.8M against the cap but if released, the Dead-$ was greater at $17.8M. OK, costs less to keep him, then release him.

Later, there was a a$4M roster bonus that kicked in and the Dead-$ for releasing Cooks increased from $17.8M to $21.8M. And that $21.8M has been reported.

However, Cooks was traded and not released. Houston will pay his $8M salary this year. Common sense tells me that the Dead-$ should be the difference which is $13.8M (21.8 - 8).

I am always reluctant to accept the early reports on salary cap implications.

It's $21.8M. That comes from the prorated signing and option bonuses acceleration onto the 2020 cap. His $8 million salary is not counted as part of the $21.8M. It's purely bonuses he has already received. Unless the bonuses were less than what Spotrac/OverTheCap have, there's no way around this one.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Wish Mr Cooks the best, a fine and outstanding player for the Rams.

Hard to believe what the Rams got and kudo's to their FO for fleecing the Texas tumbleweeds.

J Reynolds would be a starter on over half of the NFL teams.

I do not see how a rookie WR has much of a chance to win significant playing time barring an injury to Woods/Kupp/JR.

OL is still the most talent questionable area of the team with LB and RB a close second.

Love how McVay and Snead are unafraid of making roster changes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A little SB refresher

Goff- 19/38 50% comp

I love McVay, but he was the goat of that game. He got arrogant and thought he could beat Belichick running his scheme the same way he did all year. So many of us were saying that McVay needed to come up with a completely novel approach to that game because Belichick was going to use the two weeks he had to throw something at McVay he hadn't seen before that was geared to stop his scheme.

That all said, Cooks could have been the hero. He had two passes hit him in the hands that would have been TDs. Both were difficult catches. But both were catchable. When we're paying you nearly $17 million per year, you gotta be a guy who can step up and make those plays. Still, I don't blame him for the loss. I just note he could have been the reason for the win.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe it has more to do with being able to pay Kupp and Ramsey next year. I do not see this as an indicator that we are giving up on this year.

This move helps The Rams moving forward. This draft has some nice talent.
I wonder if that Wisconsin LBer falls to The Rams ? I keep looking back at The Rams 2017 draft. A RB is of need instead of a TE. Kittle was a steal for the 9ers, but I could see a trade back. Still think a WR can be had in late 3rd. Like Kupp & Reynolds were.