Bradford said...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Blaming Sam is silly until they free him to run a fast paced game. I would have to see better video to know if, and how much, he may have contributed in today's failure but as long as he's a square peg and the scheme is a round hole, I won't judge him.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
X said:
HitStick said:
X said:
HitStick said:
bluecoconuts said:
HitStick said:
The thing is, new coordinators won't help.

Sam has full reigns. He is able to change the play call at the LOS...so change it. Drop yourself into shotgun. Do something at the line other than say "hut hut" 5 seconds after you line up. Throw it two someone that is farther than 3 yards deep. Scramble to the oitside to by your receivers some time.

The coaching is not going to change mid season. I don't think Fisher would do that...

So Sam needs to do something.

I don't think that would be the correct answer to the situation.

It seems to be the solution for Payton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers...etc
Well, the least of those 5 still has 10 years in the same system (Rivers).

I agree in principle though. Bradford should be given a dozen plays, shotgun snaps, and forego the huddle.
Let's see what happens then.

I'd imagine it would show that Sam can get this team to the next level.

His talents are being wasted.
You might be right. It's difficult to tell, but maybe Schotty is overthinking things.
And Walton might be underthinking...

Right!? "Let's disguise our coverage by playing 7 yards deep on 3rd and 3."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can't adjust to a defense when they're raping your OL with 4 man rushes. What do you do? OL needs to man the eff up.

Rod Marinelli though. Guy is just a great coach.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X overestimating:
You might be right. It's difficult to tell, but maybe Schotty is overthinking things.
And Walton might be underthinking...
So I take it you think there was actual thinking going on? :lol:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
RamzFanz said:
Thordaddy said:
That fake punt WTF?

Sorry, I loved that call. 57 yards out is believeable, it's not expected on a 4th and 14, and Hecker has a history of very good passing. In a game where they were going to be challenged scoring, loved that call. He overthrew an open Bailey.

Good call, good execution, bad throw.

I can't think of another smart play call the rest of the game. JMHO.
Yea and had the play been made everyone would have been all for it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Rabid Ram said:
RamzFanz said:
Thordaddy said:
That fake punt WTF?

Sorry, I loved that call. 57 yards out is believeable, it's not expected on a 4th and 14, and Hecker has a history of very good passing. In a game where they were going to be challenged scoring, loved that call. He overthrew an open Bailey.

Well of course. I do have to say though that I have a hard time thinking anyone was fooled by it and yet it still almost worked. So I really didn't have a problem with the play.

So this brings up something that has been kinda bugging me as well. Fisher will do these kinds of plays and is known for being a guy who will roll out the trick play AND is a players coach with a lot of zeal. We then go out and get all these guys who are young hip shooters. So why the hyper conservative play on both sides of the ball? I just don't get it.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
RamFan503 said:
Rabid Ram said:
RamzFanz said:
Thordaddy said:
That fake punt WTF?

Well of course. I do have to say though that I have a hard time thinking anyone was fooled by it and yet it still almost worked. So I really didn't have a problem with the play.

So this brings up something that has been kinda bugging me as well. Fisher will do these kinds of plays and is known for being a guy who will roll out the trick play AND is a players coach with a lot of zeal. We then go out and get all these guys who are young hip shooters. So why the hyper conservative play on both sides of the ball? I just don't get it.

This^^^. It seems our coaches are holding our youngsters back and I don't get it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
HitStick said:
X said:
HitStick said:
bluecoconuts said:
HitStick said:
The thing is, new coordinators won't help.

Sam has full reigns. He is able to change the play call at the LOS...so change it. Drop yourself into shotgun. Do something at the line other than say "hut hut" 5 seconds after you line up. Throw it two someone that is farther than 3 yards deep. Scramble to the oitside to by your receivers some time.

The coaching is not going to change mid season. I don't think Fisher would do that...

So Sam needs to do something.

I don't think that would be the correct answer to the situation.

It seems to be the solution for Payton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers...etc
Well, the least of those 5 still has 10 years in the same system (Rivers).

I agree in principle though. Bradford should be given a dozen plays, shotgun snaps, and forego the huddle.
Let's see what happens then.

I'd imagine it would show that Sam can get this team to the next level.

His talents are being wasted.

I believe Sam has the talent, that's not it at all. If they give him the go ahead, I think it would be fine.

However I don't think that Sam should just go and ignore the plays that Schotty calls and essentially goes over his head to do his own thing. That sends a really poor message to the team, and is not what a young team should be doing. If you're suggesting him getting 2 or 3 plays and calling one based on the defense that he sees than I'm all for it.

I just don't want total insubordination and revolting against the coaching staff, even though I agree that the playcalling needs to improve. There's a right way and a wrong way to do it though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I saw Justin Hunter make a last second, game winning TD catch. The Rams coaches wouldn't put Quick in that situation even in year two.

Schottenheimer has never been a successful OC that I recall. I really wish Fisher would find a new one this offseason.

I hate Greg Williams and hated hearing that he was going to be the DC. I rejoiced at the Bounty gate ban and that he was not going to be a Ram. Boy do I regret that whole scenario. I would love to have a veteran DC that Fisher trusts to play his own system. Even Rob Ryan (another guy I don't like) would be more welcome than what I am seeing from Tim Walton.....if this is the real Tim Walton we are seeing or if it is another example of Fisher reigning in his rookies.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
RamFan503 said:
Rabid Ram said:
RamzFanz said:
Thordaddy said:
That fake punt WTF?

Yea..I don't get it as well. When he was at TN and playing the Rams he would thorw the book at our O. We all know the Rams O at that time was balls to the wall.

Whats up with Fish now? Weird

nighttrain

Legend
max said:
The offense wasn't able to adjust to what the Dallas D did.

Why is that? Is it because the coaches are clueless?

What I do know is that the OL got manhandled, and the RBs and WRs and even Cook looked like scrubs.

Obviously, the defense was putrid, but the offense was bad on it's own. And IMHO, I think Sam deserves the least of the blame.

KC is 3-0 with Alex Smith. Cleveland beat Minny today with a 3rd string backup. That's a lot of good coaching.

This loss is mostly on Fisher. He picked his staff, and he picked most of these players, and he prepared his team. This is his product on the field. And they stunk.
Sam took a beat down all game due to the lack of protection. Hard to pass from on you're backside. Everything else, I agree
train

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yep. Our OL took a beating today like I have not seen in a while. Unfortunately, I just don't see anything from our QB that would ever make a difference regardless . Sorry, but I just don't.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
Yep. Our OL took a beating today like I have not seen in a while. Unfortunately, I just don't see anything from our QB that would ever make a difference regardless . Sorry, but I just don't.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I appreciate what you're saying. I question the same thing.

But, I want to see Bradford LOSE a game, I mean, see him be the reason why we lost when the rest of the team is holding up its end of the bargain, before I throw the towel in on him.

Right now, I don't see the rest of team as worth a damn. They aren't putting Sam in a position to win or lose a game. They stink.

The defense is horrid when it was expected to be at least top 10. They struggle to get a takeaway. It's like they can't get out of their own way.

Then we have this offensive scheme that is just painful to watch. There are no easy plays from it. And Fisher picked this guy Shotty?

IMHO, giving Fisher a new QB is like giving your kids more money when they keep blowing the money have already given them. Just throwing good money after bad.

Seem like many of us want Sam to carry this mess of a team. Well, when I hear Fisher say he can't explain what went wrong yesterday my view is that Bradford is more of a victim that a problem.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
max setting criteria:
But, I want to see Bradford LOSE a game, I mean, see him be the reason why we lost when the rest of the team is holding up its end of the bargain, before I throw the towel in on him.
I've been a critic of Sam in the past but I agree with what you said here. I can't remember the last time I thought a loss was on Sam's shoulders. I find it hard to believe that any QB would be successful with the offensive play calling I've seen this year. Combine that with the abysmal performance of our O-line against the Cowgirls and I wonder why Sam is even in the conversation.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
max setting criteria:
I've been a critic of Sam in the past but I agree with what you said here. I can't remember the last time I thought a loss was on Sam's shoulders. I find it hard to believe that any QB would be successful with the offensive play calling I've seen this year. Combine that with the abysmal performance of our O-line against the Cowgirls and I wonder why Sam is even in the conversation.

Exactly. I absolutely can't blame Sam when I watch this scheme and then watch the "protection" he got on Sunday. I have no real allegiance to one player over another on this team. EVERYONE stunk it up on Sunday with maybe the exception of Sam. He stood in all day while being whacked constantly and threw what appeared to be catchable balls. We've seen what Sam can do when given a target. I'm personally just blown away by the scheme and how many hard yards we are trying to get. I don't for a second think our receivers can't get more open than they are. But any decent DB can stay with a receiver on these routes IMO.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Bradford said, "Catch the fucking ball."

Maybe everyone was just mentally beaten down come 3rd quarter, but there were way too many dropped balls. Maybe Bernie Kosar had it right all along. It's no definitive indicator, and I don't have game rewind to get an actual count, but ESPN says that there were 29 catches on 48 targets, I'm sure it wasn't in fact 19 dropped passes, but damn if it didn't feel like it.

Far too many missed opportunities against a secondary that really didn't have lock down coverage as far as I could tell.

And the clincher IMO, was the botched punt return. After yet another disastrous S/T outing, I'd strongly reconsider who I trust out there. Not a pretty one by any means gang, but gotta shake it off and strap up for those shit-heal Whiners on Thursday.