Bradford requests a trade, wont participate, will he retire?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
And how did the Eagles know that they'd be able to trade up to #2 when he signed the deal?
I'm not convinced that Chase Daniel wouldn't have taken the job from Bradford anyway.
So Sammy gets to bail out instead of being beaten out

You're right, no way to know for sure but Daniels hasn't beaten anyone out in his career yet so that's saying a lot.
But none of us know and it's all speculation.
But I have to believe every team that wanted to move up had conversations started a long time ago.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Logically, I think it's safe to assume he wasn't told they had plans to trade up and draft a QB at #2 when he signed that deal. You know as well as I do that he will not keep that job even if he plays well.

Why would they have to tell him anything? Maybe they did and then changed their mind. Employers have the right to do that.

Standing around and getting paid to do nothing may appeal to some people, but I doubt that's why Bradford is still in the league. You don't play, you don't get better.

Very true. A competitor wants to play. But then he should keep his mouth closed, train and get ready to light it up in training camp. That's what competitive people do. Suck it up and do the best you can with the opportunity presented to you.

As far as giving back money? I hate it when people begrudge the very few NFL players that make big money. 78% of NFL players go bankrupt within 2 years of their "retirement" from the NFL, while 100% of owners are Billionaires.

Don't begrudge him the money he's made but as someone who lives from check to check, I don't feel sorry for him either. He's already a multi-millionaire and he and his agent can work out a deal with the Eagles and another team that can give him a chance to be "the guy."

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As pointed out there is no way he could look at the contract and think he was set to be the long term guy in Philly (at best it is a high paying "prove it" deal)

Yes, but it was reasonable for him to believe, and he was likely told, that he was going to be the starter in 2016 unless he was injured (the reason for the short term contract). Implicit in contracts is that the player has to perform, of course. Suddenly the situation changed where even if he performed he would likely be benched eventually - the Eagles didn't trade up to sit Goff or Wentz all year.

Bradford could have signed elsewhere for the chance to play - he thought he had done so in Philly. Could be miscommunication, I think it more likely Philly changed their mind when Cleveland was willing to trade down.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...a-divorce-maybe-he-should-offer-an-annulment/

Sam Bradford wants a divorce; maybe he should offer an annulment
Posted by Mike Florio on April 27, 2016

zz0yndc5n2zlytm0zwm5ywm4m2q4nzm5nge4zje3mte3ng-e1461786831140.jpeg
AP

It’s now clear that quarterback Sam Bradford wants out of Philadelphia. It’s even more clear that Bradford and agent Tom Condon have opted for a T.O. Lite approach, attempting to talk the player’s way out of town without the shirtless driveway situps or the “next question” front-lawn press conference. (Yet.)

But at a time when Bradford is looking for a divorce, the more appropriate approach could be to offer an annulment. With an $11 million signing bonus given to Bradford (half of which already has been paid), maybe Bradford should offer to pay it all back in order to facilitate a trade.

Really, why should the Eagles eat $11 million simply because Bradford doesn’t want to play for a team that isn’t willing to regard him as “the guy”?

If Bradford doesn’t want to pay the money back, then he should be required to find a team that will take on his remaining contract and refund the bonus money. If there’s a team that is willing to regard Bradford as “the guy,” that team should be happy to pick up not $24 million over the next two years but the full $35 million.

There’s another potential solution, one for which it may simply be too late. Bradford can engage in a frank, candid assessment of his NFL career to date (which has generated fewer than 15,000 passing yards in six seasons) and fully commit himself to becoming “the guy” by playing so well that the next guy can’t get onto the field — in 2016, 2017, or ever.

Even if the Eagles eventually feel compelled to play inevitable No. 2 pick Carson Wentz in order to justify trading up for him, Bradford’s performance will prompt another team to truly embrace him as “the guy.”

Consider how other quarterbacks in similar situations have handled such circumstances. Did Kurt Warner, who signed with the Cardinals in 2005, try to talk his way out of Arizona when the Cardinals made Matt Leinart a top-10 pick in 2006? Or did Warner simply bust his ass, earn his playing time, ultimately win the job, and take the franchise to its first ever Super Bowl?

Bradford should be embracing the Kurt Warner playbook at this point. The 2010 No. 1 overall selection simply hasn’t accomplished enough to justify a power play, and his effort to force Philly’s hand will serve only to make his next team wonder whether, at some point, Bradford will pull a similar maneuver there.

Maybe it’s not too late for Bradford. Maybe, with the Eagles refusing to entertain a trade demand, Bradford will realize that his best course of action is to worry about the things he can control, cash his checks, and marvel at the amount of money he has earned in the NFL despite not being in the top half of all current NFL signal-callers.

If you disagree with that, here are 16 quarterbacks who are clearly and objectively better than Bradford, in no particular order: Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, and Jay Cutler.

That list of 16 omits various young quarterbacks whom many teams already may prefer to Bradford: Ryan Tannehill, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, Kirk Cousins, and Derek Carr.

Then there’s Alex Smith, who arguably deserves one of the spots in the top 16. If the league did a poll of all 32 teams, how many would choose Smith over Bradford?

Frankly, Bradford should be counting blessings (and his money) instead of airing his grievances. With $78 million earned in six years and another $22 million fully guaranteed under his two-year contract, Bradford should turn that frown upside down.

And maybe put on a ski mask.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Man! Who knew TDs were so expensive? I think our next several will come at far less expense.

Sorry but even though I really liked Sam, his grasp of self worth is severely lacking. No matter the tools he was given, he has not earned the prestige he thinks he so richly deserves IMO.

He could have had a long term gig from all accounts simply by restructuring his gig here. He is dead to me.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Oh, and you KNOW how much the NFL hates that!!!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But at a time when Bradford is looking for a divorce, the more appropriate approach could be to offer an annulment. With an $11 million signing bonus given to Bradford (half of which already has been paid), maybe Bradford should offer to pay it all back in order to facilitate a trade.

Really, why should the Eagles eat $11 million simply because Bradford doesn’t want to play for a team that isn’t willing to regard him as “the guy”?

Bingo. He and his agent should put their money where their mouths are. Otherwise, STFU and play.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bingo. He and his agent should put their money where their mouths are. Otherwise, STFU and play.

My understanding is that the CBA does not allow that. Otherwise teams having second thoughts would pressure players to return all or part of their signing bonuses.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
My understanding is that the CBA does not allow that. Otherwise teams having second thoughts would pressure players to return all or part of their signing bonuses.

I don't know either way, you could be right. But he should if he can.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Denver just drafted Lynch, so I guess we can take them off the list of Bradford's desired destinations. Wouldn't want to be spooked again.

…..

Legend
As far as giving back money? I hate it when people begrudge the very few NFL players that make big money. 78% of NFL players go bankrupt within 2 years of their "retirement" from the NFL, while 100% of owners are Billionaires.

so your counter point is that a lack of financial awareness and efficient planning is reason to have compassion for spoiled, embittered football players?

The owner of my company is a Multi Billionaire.....he supplies me a 401k which I manage.

At least the players get an actual pension after 5 years service.

gimme a break man.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

so now that sam's dream job is gone he's in a tough situation. what other team is desperate for a qb? not many at his asking price. maybe the jets?

he might have to put his tail between his legs and head back to philly. it's gonna be painful for him getting heckled by eagles fans 24/7.