Bradford passing stats v other QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
LesBaker said:
I'll revise it to 64% because 8 QB's hit that last year, which is 25% of the QB's and he needs to be in that area.

Ha! And people say I can't change my mind once it's made up. :shifty:

Y'mean the year that less than half the QBs in the playoffs had that 64% completion rate including zero in the SB - one of which was under 60%? Y'know... the WINNER and subsequently highest paid QB in the league? That year? :sly:

iced

I think they should come up with a better statistic than "completion percentage."

If they can measure wide receivers by their drops, they should account somehow for the QB too

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
RamFan503 said:
LesBaker said:
I'll revise it to 64% because 8 QB's hit that last year, which is 25% of the QB's and he needs to be in that area.

Y'mean the year that less than half the QBs in the playoffs had that 64% completion rate including zero in the SB - one of which was under 60%? Y'know... the WINNER and subsequently highest paid QB in the league? That year? :sly:

But if 25% of the QB's in the NFL have a completion % at 64 or better and nearly half of the QB's in the playoffs were there or higher it would be better to have your QB at that percentage or higher......right?

Don't even get me started on Flacco.......that deal might be the worst move of Ozzie's otherwise excellent career. I would have made him a reasonable offer and if he went somewhere else I'd be fine with it. I've never been impressed with him and last year his WR's made him a very rich man.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
LesBaker said:
RamFan503 said:
LesBaker said:

But if 25% of the QB's in the NFL have a completion % at 64 or better and nearly half of the QB's in the playoffs were there or higher it would be better to have your QB at that percentage or higher......right?

Don't even get me started on Flacco.......that deal might be the worst move of Ozzie's otherwise excellent career. I would have made him a reasonable offer and if he went somewhere else I'd be fine with it. I've never been impressed with him and last year his WR's made him a very rich man.

Yeah man... I caught the relativity. I just don't agree that completion percentage means all that much without looking at a crap load of other factors. Did the team use the passing game as an extension of their running game in many cases. Did the receivers drop an inordinate number of passes. Did the team like to go deep more than most. Did the QB throw it away rather than get sacked. Did the QB throw the ball where only the receiver could get to it in tight coverage. Was there a good running game to help set up the pass. etc. etc...

Stats. Meh. I'd rather see what the QB does in situations. Sure Sam can improve. And he should. Is improvement measured by completion %? Not for me. I know... different era but Terry freakin Bradshaw pitched under a 52%. Maybe extreme but my point is that if Sam avoids the sack by throwing the ball away and doesn't kill us with bad INTs (those in meaningful situations), I'm just fine with him staying in that 60% range. My thought is that those 60% will get deeper and score more points without a lot more INTs than his previous 60%. 64%? Great. What was the result?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
RamFan503 said:
LesBaker said:
RamFan503 said:
LesBaker said:

Yeah man... I caught the relativity. I just don't agree that completion percentage means all that much without looking at a crap load of other factors. Did the team use the passing game as an extension of their running game in many cases. Did the receivers drop an inordinate number of passes. Did the team like to go deep more than most. Did the QB throw it away rather than get sacked. Did the QB throw the ball where only the receiver could get to it in tight coverage. Was there a good running game to help set up the pass. etc. etc...

Stats. Meh. I'd rather see what the QB does in situations. Sure Sam can improve. And he should. Is improvement measured by completion %? Not for me. I know... different era but Terry freakin Bradshaw pitched under a 52%. Maybe extreme but my point is that if Sam avoids the sack by throwing the ball away and doesn't kill us with bad INTs (those in meaningful situations), I'm just fine with him staying in that 60% range. My thought is that those 60% will get deeper and score more points without a lot more INTs than his previous 60%. 64%? Great. What was the result?

I agree there is more to it than completion % and I mentioned a few other areas where Bradford needs to put up some bigger numbers. I think we'll see it happen just not right away. And that is going to probably shut down the entire webernets too because too many people aren't getting how young this team is especially on offense.

One other way to look at it is this. increasing from 60% to 65% means a couple of extra receptions per game, which is a couple of extra first downs and it's keeping drives alive, plus some will be big plays. That will translate to more points.