Bradford following Carson Palmer's NFL path

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
This is for @Athos too.

Palmers production his first few years dwarfs Bradfords. It isn't even close. Palmer went to 2 Pro Bowls in his first 3 years in the league!!!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PalmCa00.htm

Now look at Bradford's production.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradSa00.htm

I can look up QB stats too. But I choose to look up things other than just the QB...

Namely, Palmer was throwing to a 3 YEAR VET IN CHAD JOHNSON! Please remind me who Bradford was throwing to his first few years in the league.

I'll do it for you.

Midget Amendola was his leading WR
Followed by Gibson, WHO MOVED ON TO THE PHINS AND PRODUCED WORSE.
Loyd and a bum DX

Truly astounding WR talent minus DX who was with us but briefly.

And, also to that fact....

The Bengals had 52 rushing TDs in the first 4 years
Rams under Bradford's first 4 years, had 31 rushing TDs.

The Bengals were vastly superior offensively and had better offensive weapons for young Palmer.

What did the Bengals also have?

A young T by the name of Willie Anderson 4xProBowler. 4 straight years too. When? When Palmer was starting.

2005, Bengals allow only 21 sacks. A franchise record.

Eric Steinbeck at G.

They also had a solid stud in Whitworth.

The Rams had a revolving door of junk for Bradford who's best O-Lineman, Saffold, was injured more often than not.

They teams these guys played for are so laughably unequal for offensive talent it isn't even funny.

Athos

Legend
Cam, Ben, Rodgers, etc.

And those are uh.... mobile QBs. Key word. MOBILE.

Bradford was never mobile, but he isn't Nick Foles. He was a pocket QB drafted to a team that filled it's offensive line with retreads, failed draft experiments, and over the hill veterans.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I can look up QB stats too. But I choose to look up things other than just the QB...

Namely, Palmer was throwing to a 3 YEAR VET IN CHAD JOHNSON! Please remind me who Bradford was throwing to his first few years in the league.

I'll do it for you.

Midget Amendola was his leading WR
Followed by Gibson, WHO MOVED ON TO THE PHINS AND PRODUCED WORSE.
Loyd and a bum DX

Truly astounding WR talent minus DX who was with us but briefly.

And, also to that fact....

The Bengals had 52 rushing TDs in the first 4 years
Rams under Bradford's first 4 years, had 31 rushing TDs.

The Bengals were vastly superior offensively and had better offensive weapons for young Palmer.

What did the Bengals also have?

A young T by the name of Willie Anderson 4xProBowler. 4 straight years too. When? When Palmer was starting.

2005, Bengals allow only 21 sacks. A franchise record.

Eric Steinbeck at G.

They also had a solid stud in Whitworth.

The Rams had a revolving door of junk for Bradford who's best O-Lineman, Saffold, was injured more often than not.

They teams these guys played for are so laughably unequal for offensive talent it isn't even funny.

We don't agree on this, and it's just not possible to say "well if Bradford had better weapons he would be (insert whatever here).

As far as production, which is what I was talking about, Palmer is FAR superior to Bradford.

And I have watched Bradford play every game as a Ram and have seen Palmer many times (I'm originally from Ohio by the way live in SWFL now) and it's just a fact that Palmer is a better passer. I can't think of anyone that would say Bradford is a superior talent without tossing objectivity out of the window.

Palmer is better and I think most people would agree with that and say "yeah no kidding".

FYI about Foles being not as athletic/mobile as Bradford.....from Wiki.......

"Foles also excelled at basketball, where he started three years, twice received team MVP honors,[5] and was recruited by Georgetown, Baylor, and Texas."

BTW..........great work in the Pirate thread. I have some catching up to do, I haven't been pulling my weight over there. :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
FYI about Foles being not as athletic/mobile as Bradford.....from Wiki.......

"Foles also excelled at basketball, where he started three years, twice received team MVP honors,[5] and was recruited by Georgetown, Baylor, and Texas."
He's not as mobile as Bradford, really, and I'm not saying that because I like to defend Bradford or anything. It's just kind of obvious to me. . Foles is heavy-footed and is a slow-twitch kinda guy. Cosell has spoken about that at length a couple of times too. I do know that he's a good basketball player, but a lot of those guys aren't widely known for their nimbleness.

I don't think you can compare Palmer to Bradford either. Palmer is just a better QB even without all the production comparisons. He's bigger, stronger, and processes things a little bit faster, IMO. That said, Bradford isn't a scrub in the talent department. He's a very good passer with a strong arm and throws a pretty ball. There's just something that never seems to connect between his obvious talent and when bullets start to fly. It's been opined in the past (by various analysts) that he really really dislikes getting hit and will do whatever he can to avoid it. If that means checking down or forcing his first reads, he'll do that more often than not. If he ever had a pocket like Brady enjoys, I think he could be a very very deadly quarterback in this league. Unfortunately for him, having more than 5 seconds behind the line isn't all that commonplace.

That's about as fair and objective as I can be on this.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's not as mobile as Bradford, really, and I'm not saying that because I like to defend Bradford or anything. It's just kind of obvious to me. . Foles is heavy-footed and is a slow-twitch kinda guy. Cosell has spoken about that at length a couple of times too. I do know that he's a good basketball player, but a lot of those guys aren't widely known for their nimbleness.

I don't think you can compare Palmer to Bradford either. Palmer is just a better QB even without all the production comparisons. He's bigger, stronger, and processes things a little bit faster, IMO. That said, Bradford isn't a scrub in the talent department. He's a very good passer with a strong arm and throws a pretty ball. There's just something that never seems to connect between his obvious talent and when bullets start to fly. It's been opined in the past (by various analysts) that he really really dislikes getting hit and will do whatever he can to avoid it. If that means checking down or forcing his first reads, he'll do that more often than not. If he ever had a pocket like Brady enjoys, I think he could be a very very deadly quarterback in this league. Unfortunately for him, having more than 5 seconds behind the line isn't all that commonplace.

I think Foles is agile for his size and it isn't like he was playing in the paint as the 5 so he isn't a lumbering giant LOL.

No way those colleges recruit a guy that isn't up to snuff as far as mobility at 6' 5".

Athos

Legend
Yea no. Foles is a plodder. There's a reason we never really do bootlegs with him. He doesn't have the quickness.

He may be more mobile as a BB player but I've seen all I need to as a QB to know he's a statue. His quick twitch is just below average.

If you want an example of big guys who run the court fast, watch UNC BB.

I think Robinson could beat Foles in a short sprint.

And I never said Bradford was better than Palmer. But you can't just discount the level of talent Palmer had as opposed to Sam. Not how it works.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tebow and Newton?

I'm guessing...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Haha! I remembered Tebow... But honestly I didn't know if Newton had won before. I thought he did 2 years ago or so.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The guy that wrote that article must be trying to win over Philly fans by trying to make things look brighter than they really are. He is way off.

FRO

Legend

Totally agree with your assessment. I wonder if he were drafted by an aggressive offensive coach he maybe had benefitted. He seemed to play it a bit safe, and his first two coaches were ultra conservative defensive coaches. I don't know if early on coaching can really change the course a player will take through his career or not. The talent is there with Sam, the production hasn't been. That being said he has never really had a top flight support cast or a number one receiver. Sam is a solid starting caliber QB. He is gone. Time to move on.