Bradford following Carson Palmer's NFL path

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphi...am-bradford-following-carson-palmers-nfl-path

PHILADELPHIA -- He won the Heisman Trophy. He was the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft. He tore his anterior cruciate ligament twice.

He could be either Sam Bradford or Carson Palmer, the two men who will start at quarterback Sunday when the Philadelphia Eagles host the Arizona Cardinals.

Palmer, 35, won the Heisman for USC in 2002 and was the first pick in the 2003 NFL draft.

Bradford, 28, won the Heisman as a sophomore at Oklahoma in 2008 and was the first pick in the 2010 NFL draft.

After six years with the Cincinnati Bengals, Palmer asked to be traded. When the Bengals declined, Palmer said he would retire. He held out until the middle of the 2011 season, when the Bengals agreed to trade him to the Oakland Raiders.

After five years with the St. Louis Rams, Bradford was traded to the Eagles.

There is a lesson in here about time, and its role in allowing NFL quarterbacks to reach their full potential.

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger. Palmer is a little bit different. Since he got to Arizona in 2013, his record as a starter is 27-8 with a passer rating of 94.4. It didn’t take him years in coach Bruce Arians’ offense.

But Palmer still put in the years.

“He’s played a ton of football,” Kelly said. “The wealth of experience that Carson brings to Bruce’s offense is kind of unparalleled. He’s the guy that’s pushing the whole offensive system right now.”

Palmer will turn 36 later this month. He has never won a playoff game. During eight seasons in Cincinnati and Oakland, his record as a starter was 54-67. The best years of his career have been in Arizona, after he turned 33 years old.

Kelly has previously compared trading for Bradford to the New Orleans Saints’ signing of Drew Brees. The former San Diego Chargers quarterback was available only because of an injury to his throwing shoulder. The Saints took a chance on Brees, who has gone 92-63 and won a Super Bowl.

Bradford’s resume looks more like Palmer’s. The challenge for Kelly and the Eagles is to make sure that Bradford can accelerate the second part of his career. That means staying in Philadelphia and growing in Kelly’s offense, not moving on to a third team.

That is Kelly’s plan.

“We’ve always wanted Sam here,” Kelly said. “We wouldn’t have traded for him if we thought he was going to be here for a year.”

Bradford has exactly three games (plus playoffs, if there are any) remaining on his contract. The Eagles and Bradford’s agent discussed a contract extension, but those talks ended at the start of the regular season.

Bradford went 4-4 as the Eagles’ starter in the first half of this season. He was leading in the Eagles’ Nov. 15 game against Miami when he was knocked out of the game with a concussion and separated left shoulder. The Eagles lost that game, as well as their next two with Mark Sanchez as their quarterback.

Bradford returned for the game against New England. He won his two starts since returning from the injury. Before each game, he addressed his teammates.

“I’ve seen Sam gain more confidence as the season’s gone along here,” Kelly said. “I think that’s just a natural maturation process.”

That takes time. The big question is how much time Bradford will have in Philadelphia.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There is exactly ZERO similarities and correlations between these two careers/players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Frankly, I'd take Bradford back in FA after the season if there's nothing better. But we'll still have to draft a QB.

FRO

Legend
Frankly, I'd take Bradford back in FA after the season if there's nothing better. But we'll still have to draft a QB.
Sounds like he is going to be resigned. We are going to be in a tough spot to improve the position this offseason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I wouldn't. He's literally getting hurt every year now. But I understand the rationale.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hahahah...what? He doesn't even have the same talent and Carson actually looks like a leader.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Apparently he has been a leader in the locker room. But that damn body language......gets him every time.

I think Bradford has every ounce of talent that Palmer has.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Apparently he has been a leader in the locker room. But that damn body language......gets him every time.

I think Bradford has every ounce of talent that Palmer has.

No way, not even close. Palmer is excellent and has proven to be a top producer even when playing for the crappy Raiders teams he was on for two years.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
You're walking a tight rope after all those knee injuries. If he stays healthy and lights it up, more power to him. I don't want to be walking that fine line with Bradford anymore. It's time to keep moving.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I dunno, the stats between Palmer and Bradford look similar enough to think they might have similar career arcs. You also have to consider supporting casts, that Palmer's best years (until now) were his Chad OchoCinco Johnson years in Cincy. Bradford never had supporting talent like that. In a decent system with an offensive minded team with reasonable talent... yeah, Bradford should be able to put up big numbers. Imho.

Can Bradford stay healthy? Or healthy enough? That's another question altogether, and StL patience basically ran out on the guy.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
No way, not even close. Palmer is excellent and has proven to be a top producer even when playing for the crappy Raiders teams he was on for two years.

Excellent...maybe this year. His first few years were decent and his two year with the Raider he had a 85 & a 80 rating. That's not really a top producer. He's had a good career, but not an excellent one.

When you compare the first few years of his career with Bradford's 3 years he actually played, it's not a massive difference. Especially considering the rams putrid coaching, WR unit, and the bottom barrel OL.

Athos

Legend

Whatever dude. I know you don't like Sam but this is just inaccurate.

Players Palmer has played with:

Bengals
RB Rudi Johnson: 3 straight seasons of 12 rushing TDs. Rams haven't had that kind of production since Faulk from the RB position.

WR Chad Johnson and WR TJ Houshmandzadeh: More talent than any WR Rams have had on roster since Holt.

That certainly helps develop a young WR. Johnson had 3 straight 1K yard campaigns and 25 TDs before Palmer came along. Sure woulda been nice to have a vet WR help a young QB along like Palmer had. Never mind the RB production.

Raiders?

Okay. That's a push. But Sam did have to play against filthy NFC West Defenses. About the same level of production. But at that point, Palmer was a 7 yr Vet.

Last edited:

MrMotes

Starter
I guess i missed the part where Bradford won 11 games, led the league in TD passes and completion %, had a QB rating over 100 and went to the pro bowl before his first knee injury.

Carson Palmer has been elite.

Sam Bradford has never been anything but average, at least so far...

Debacled

Starter
Philly wins A SINGLE close game and Bradford is the second coming....

Gotta love the news out of the NFC East....guess there isn't enough Cowboys manure to jam in everyone's eye sockets this year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Excellent...maybe this year. His first few years were decent and his two year with the Raider he had a 85 & a 80 rating. That's not really a top producer. He's had a good career, but not an excellent one.

When you compare the first few years of his career with Bradford's 3 years he actually played, it's not a massive difference. Especially considering the rams putrid coaching, WR unit, and the bottom barrel OL.

This is for @Athos too.

Palmers production his first few years dwarfs Bradfords. It isn't even close. Palmer went to 2 Pro Bowls in his first 3 years in the league!!!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PalmCa00.htm

Now look at Bradford's production.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradSa00.htm

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Philly wins A SINGLE close game and Bradford is the second coming....

Gotta love the news out of the NFC East....guess there isn't enough Cowboys manure to jam in everyone's eye sockets this year.
well there you have it. sam bradford is "elite" in having experience in trying to win a divisional crown with a losing team record.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ugh. This sucks.
Kinda....:rolleyes:....I feel like this >:puke::shocked::oops:

I guess i missed the part where Bradford won 11 games, led the league in TD passes and completion %, had a QB rating over 100 and went to the pro bowl before his first knee injury.

Carson Palmer has been elite.

Sam Bradford has never been anything but average, at least so far...
Palmer has appeared to be a very good player....In every season that he's had a decent team around him....Chad & Housmanzada...Think that guy named Chris Henry was there too....He's always had weapons..

I see where the writer & Chip are going...Both have elite like talent. Just haven't seen the production from Sam....But I believe his best years are ahead of him....

Reminds me of Rich Gannon & Jim Plunkett....Hell, even Steve Young started out rough......

Rainram

Starter
Palmer >> Bradford

I don't doubt Bradford's arm talent...his pocket mobility and injuries are too much though. He is largely impacted by those around him (more than most). Some guys can get buy with some inadequacies on the OLine (Cam, Ben, Rodgers, etc.)...Bradford is not that guy.

I'm over relying on him. Can't and won't do it with his injuries. Every time there was pressure I would hold my breath. Fuck that.

If we want to go the route of a veteran QB, test the waters for Stafford, Brees?, Cutler? etc... (One thing is for sure, this off season will involve addressing the QB position...should be interesting)

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Palmer >>> Bradford

I'm over relying on him. Can't and won't do it with his injuries.

If we want to go the route of a veteran QB, test the waters for Stafford, Brees?, Cutler? etc... (One thing is for sure, this off season will involve addressing the QB position...should be interesting)

I'd go full Ditka and give the Saints the entire draft in exchange for Brees.