Boudreau: Greg Robinson at Auburn: 4 run plays, 1 Protection, No Snap Count

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
From MMQB
By Greg Bedard

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/24/memorial-day-nfl-veterans-tom-brady-deflategate/5/

I think the biggest complaint NFL line coaches at the summit had was how they can’t get even talk to their players, especially those that just finished their rookie season, until April under the CBA. They’re not even asking to hit, they just want to teach their guys and watch film. Take the case of Greg Robinson, the No. 2 pick in the 2014 draft by the Rams, who struggled as a rookie and may need more time to be able to play left tackle. “They had four run plays (at Auburn) and one protection: slide left, slide right. He didn’t have a snap count,” says Rams line coach Paul Boudreau, who has coached in the NFL since 1987 with eight different teams. “Now, I coached Willie Roaf when Willie was a rookie. Willie’s in the Hall of Fame. And I can tell you from a coach who coached Willie and now coaches Greg Robinson: Greg Robinson as a rookie has more talent and is a better player than Willie. Willie had a great coach at Louisiana Tech and Willie was ahead of the curve because of the techniques he was taught, just like how we talk about preferring the Wisconsin, Iowa, Stanford and Notre Dame guys. They have one up on the guys from the spread. I’m not going to tell a spread coach he can’t do it anymore. What I’m saying to the NFL is, ‘Give me a chance to change this spread guy to an NFL guy. Don’t restrict me.’ Back in the day, we could take the Wing-T guys and convert them because we had the time. Just give me a chance to coach my guys and don’t tell me I can only have them for four hours.”

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Let's hope before he is done that GRob has a career similar to Roaf that would justify picking him 2nd overall.At the time I was hoping for trade down to pick up 2-3 more high picks.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's incredible praise from Boudreau. If Robinson has half of the career that Roaf did, then it will have been a hell of a pick. I have no doubt that Robinson can reach that potential. His head is absolutely in the right place.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If I was Fisher, I'd be pulling Greg aside and saying, 'if you really want to progress more quickly, I can have Boudreau show up at your house with a disguise on and you two can go down to the basement or, I can pay for a high fence to be installed in your backyard and you can make up some much needed ground. What do you think?'

FRO

Legend
It does worry me a bit though, in today's NFL can you develop guys in a reasonable amount of time? Should you avoid taking upside players because you have to wait three years before they are ready? You see the upside in Robinson, he seems like a great kid, but it just sucks that his development is stunted by the CBA rules.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Hopefully Robinson took it upon himself to practice on his techniques. These kids seem to be able to find all kinds of coaches to help pre-draft. Perhaps there's some OLine whisperer out there that Robinson could have used.

Wonder if Hanifan would have wanted or could have spent a week with him or something.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'd love to know what actually happens when a team first meets with a player whether its a rookie or a free agent because I find it hard to believe that teams stick to the CBA word for word.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd love to know what actually happens when a team first meets with a player whether its a rookie or a free agent because I find it hard to believe that teams stick to the CBA word for word.

They have to. The league has snitches... For real.

What started out as a reasonable break for players is now a hindrance to player development.

V3

Hall of Fame
They have to. The league has snitches... For real.

What started out as a reasonable break for players is now a hindrance to player development.
I'm almost positive SEA got snitched on during last year's practices. Something about practicing too long or with pads.

The snitches are real!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

As mentioned there are eyes on them, the players themselves will report things too, plus NFLPA reps can walk into any practice at any time unannounced and while I don't like DSmith and his union he is very, very good at what he does and he does not fuck around.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If I was Fisher, I'd be pulling Greg aside and saying, 'if you really want to progress more quickly, I can have Boudreau show up at your house with a disguise on and you two can go down to the basement or, I can pay for a high fence to be installed in your backyard and you can make up some much needed ground. What do you think?'

If I was Fisher I'd do it. If we're going to cheat - I'd rather get caught cheating for something like this. Can you imagine the moral outrage?? "Damn those Rams....they tried to coach a player....can you believe that? The cheating sobs...."

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It does worry me a bit though, in today's NFL can you develop guys in a reasonable amount of time? Should you avoid taking upside players because you have to wait three years before they are ready? You see the upside in Robinson, he seems like a great kid, but it just sucks that his development is stunted by the CBA rules.
It is the stupidest thing. I can understand the rigorous stuff, but class room and shirt & shorts skills development should be allowed. these guys get paid lots of $$$ to play in this league .. spending a little more time refining your craft is what makes you excel in ANY occupation. And now .. with the college game, for the most part, not developing these skills needed at the next level coaches need that little bit more time.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Hopefully Robinson took it upon himself to practice on his techniques. These kids seem to be able to find all kinds of coaches to help pre-draft. Perhaps there's some OLine whisperer out there that Robinson could have used.

Wonder if Hanifan would have wanted or could have spent a week with him or something.
Well that is another rub. We hear about skill position guys all the time going to these training academies and working out with so and so ... but never about linemen doing it. Do they even haven these places where linemen can go and train on their own and further their development?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Well that is another rub. We hear about skill position guys all the time going to these training academies and working out with so and so ... but never about linemen doing it. Do they even haven these places where linemen can go and train on their own and further their development?

LeCharles Bentley runs something like this for o lineman

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I think you're onto something there, Memphis. The "whisperer" part, that is.

I'm serious...

And it would be completely aboveboard and legal, too.

Wouldn't have to be an Orlando Pace, either, although that would be fantastic. Just a retired solid journeyman type that was willing and able to teach the fundamentals. One who is young enough to understand today's game and can still remember the things that helped him most when HE was a rookie.

Such a former player could be paid a stipend by GRob and be called a consultant or maybe a tutor. All strictly legal yet very effective.

OR... What would be wrong with Saffold and GRob agreeing to work together for a couple of weeks? No money changes hands but the knowledge transfer could be tremendous for GRob.

Mannion did such a thing predraft with Logan Palmer and it reportedly really helped him.

For that matter, why couldn't other players needing improvement do such a thing post draft? Or even later? Players such as Tavon, for example. It could really be a career booster, don't you think?

Maybe some of these players need to think outside the box a little bit, huh?

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Guessing this 'protects' the UDFAs too? Hard to make a team when you can't try to learn their system.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I think the biggest complaint NFL line coaches at the summit had was how they can’t get even talk to their players, especially those that just finished their rookie season, until April under the CBA.

Defensive end Ray McDonald was released by the Chicago Bears after he was arrested on domestic violence charges.

Are the two related? Yes.

Obviously, the NFL & CBA have their priorities screwed up when it comes to player development & image.

An NFL player can devote himself year-round to his profession - like the rest of society! A profession that lasts on average less than 5 years.