Bonsignore: With preseason games upon us, and Aaron Donald’s holdout lingering, what is his end game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
With the regular season now just a month away, contract talks between the Rams and defensive lineman Aaron Donald remain stalled. (AP Photo/Greg Beacham)
0 Comments
By Vincent Bonsignore | vbonsignore@scng.com | Daily News
PUBLISHED: August 10, 2017 at 5:48 pm | UPDATED: August 10, 2017 at 6:17 pm

IRVINE – The Rams will play their first preseason game of 2017 Saturday against the Dallas Cowboys at the Coliseum. Barring a major development between now and kickoff, their best player won’t even be in the same area code, let alone in uniform and on the field with the rest of his teammates.

The contract holdout of All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald continues to linger, hovering over the Rams like a thick morning marine layer off the Pacific Ocean.

On and on it goes, now officially two weeks in length and months in execution if you go all the way back to the Rams’ organized offseason team activities. Donald was a no-show throughout OTA’s, firmly planting his feet in the ground in protest of a contract that doesn’t reflect his stature as the NFL’s best interior defensive lineman and the internal fortitude to fight for a new deal that does.

The last time we actually saw Donald and the Rams in the same vicinity was at a mandatory minicamp June 13. But whatever positive vibes his appearance created in Thousand Oaks that day soon faded amid contract talks that yielded no resolution, an official training camp report date that passed without Donald reporting and the 13 days that have followed in which Donald has conspicuously remained AWOL.

Donald and his camp have been eerily quiet throughout, but we can safely surmise they are seeking a deal that makes him the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL and surpasses in annual salary the $19,062,500 that Ndamukong Suh makes and the $60 million in guaranteed money his six-year contract with the Dolphins pays him.

We can also safely assume the Rams have pushed a life-changing pile of money to the middle of the table for Donald to accept, an amount that will grant the 26-year-old Pittsburgh native his wish to be the highest-paid defensive player in the league.

They are wise enough to understand what they uncovered when they drafted Donald 13th overall in 2014, and that, three years into his original rookie deal he is wildly underpaid and deserves a contract worthy of his current stature.

In that respect, the two sides share mutual ground. Donald wants his just due and the Rams want to do right by him.

On the other hand, months of contract talks have yielded no resolution. For all the mutual motivation they share, they just aren’t connecting on the key elements of a mutually satisfactory contract.

The reasons for that could vary:

• The Rams aren’t willing to go as high over the Suh market as Donald is demanding;
  • The two sides can’t find common ground on how much money is guaranteed;
  • Donald’s camp is seeking a deal flexible enough to account for any future upward spike of the salary cap, or one he can maneuver out of sooner rather than later if someone comes along to surpass him as the highest-paid defensive player.
And you can bet someone will.

Those are all valid negotiating points. And Donald and his camp have every right to fight and scratch for every desirable dynamic.

But here’s the thing.

Donald may want all of the above, but aside from doing right by him on a worthy pay bump and the kind of guaranteed money that will comfortably take care of him and his family for generations to come, what is the Rams’ incentive to give in on everything, including how much Donald wants to soar over the Suh benchmark?

The answer, frankly, is very little.

Holdout or no holdout.

Donald still has two years remaining on his original deal. And if you take it a step further, he’s under the Rams’ control through the 2020 season when factoring in the franchise tag tool.

They hold all the leverage. And while they want Donald back in camp like yesterday, they’ll hold firm in their position because there’s no reason not to.

Which brings us to the real crux of this holdout and what will ultimately determine how long it lasts.

Safely assuming the Rams have pushed a life-changing amount of money for Donald to the middle of the table – an amount that, when divvied up, will perch him at the top of defensive player salaries – is he so entrenched in his demands he’s willing to continue to turn that kind of coin down?

And do what?

Come back and play this year and next year before, maybe, hitting free agency in 2019? In the meantime, risk getting hurt and throwing away $70 million or more in guarantees?

Donald has $8 million, total, coming to him over the next two years. That’s a lot of money, relatively speaking. But it ain’t $70 million, now is it?

Or maybe he continues to hold out and start missing paychecks he’ll never recoup.

Do either of those options seem appealing, giving the amount of money we can safely assume the Rams are offering?

The regular season is still a month away. There’s plenty of time for Donald to think all this out and, when the time comes, make a sound decision.

But you get the sense the Rams have gone pretty much as far as they’re willing to go on his demands. There’s really no incentive go any further.

That points the spotlight directly on Donald and his camp.

The question is, what, exactly, is their end game?

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/1...nalds-holdout-lingering-what-is-his-end-game/

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just makes no sense to hold out. Then you're doing it with two years of contract remaining and an idiot like OBJ is making you look bad by being in camp when he also wants an extension under the same circumstances.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"We Not Me."

If I'm AD it doesn't have to be higher per year than Suh makes and if my agent is stuck on that I'd set him straight. I am sure the Rams have a very nice package on the table for him, just take it for the love of F and show that you're about the team.

Some will say "but he's the best DT he needs the most money." BS. He's a future Hall of Famer. But that doesn't mean the guy needs to demand the most money or else he's going to hold out TWO YEARS EARLY. Sign the damn contract or suck it up and show up to camp it's that simple.

I'm really disappointed in him man. Seriously I have three of his jerseys and it irks the F out of me that he's taken this tact. Dude is just not who I thought he was.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yep no sense at all.
He holds almost no cards at this point in time.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
AD is a freak, he's soooo good it's unreal.

I certainly don't begrudge him for holding out, if he gets badly injured they pay him the rest of his guarantees, tell him they're "moving in a different direction", give him a box to put his shit in and tell him to gtfo.

But I'll say it--Maybe it's not in the best interest of the team tohave $20M a year tied up in a D lineman.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Right there with you @Merlin he has already proved he is not the person I thought he was.

There is no way the Rams have not made a reasonable offer knowing how good he is. WTF could he possibly be holding out for?

At this point I would be telling him get to camp or we'll quit negotiating and he can play for his rookie salary and get tagged for a couple of years or retire early.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The regular season is still a month away. There’s plenty of time for Donald to think all this out and, when the time comes, make a sound decision.

Yup. It's gonna happen.

Not worried.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
These things never seem to turnout well in the long run. These players always seem to either get dinged up, under perform their big deal, or are flyers as soon as free agency comes calling. I hate it and I fear AD is only going to be a Ram for a couple of more years at the most. I'd almost say screw it and play without him if Easley wouldn't have gone down. This sucks and is pissing me off when you are a bigger fan of a team than a player. :mad:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
b6ff7762750e17e5eee725de7ef53f0e.jpg

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I'd say just Rams' fans, the Rams' coaches and front office, AD and his freaked up agent, and any team that would like to have AD.
No reason for this to be a motion picture spectacle. This is an unnecessary distraction, "we" got a "team" to worry about.

HellRam

Starter
Donald is definitely worth more per year then Suh. Curious to exactly how much more he is wanting...

I'd say odds are the Rams extend Donald to a big contract. But you know management has got to be thinking how this could possibly hinder them in the future with other contracts Gurley, Tree, Goff and so on, obviously you can't keep all of your top players. 20 mill plus per year on a DT is a lot of money. That said Donald is worth keeping IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Donald is definitely worth more per year then Suh.

My question is whether Suh is worth Suh. I don't think he is. If you look at dollars to field impact no way a DT is worth that much.

AD is worth more than Suh, but again I think that whole contract was just over the top idiocy. I suspect the Rams have told him their final offer is on the table take it or leave it. Maybe they should play hardball at this point and have a date where they pull it too and just let him sit out. F it.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The rams hold all the cards. AD has no leverage whatsoever, literally the rams could make his life a living hell if they wanted to play hardball. 2 more years on his rookie contract then can RFA for 2 more years after that. He wouldn't stop being a ram until around 29 years old. Would teams trade the farm for him? Sure, but at what cost to their wallets?

This is the exact reason why league minimum contracts needs to be much much higher than what they are now. These guys are getting outrageous with their demands, it's making the game hard to care about.