Bonsignore: Jeff Fisher taking credit where it isn’t due, and still making excuses for failures

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1212_spt_ldn-l-rams-per_-18__23041897.jpg

Former Rams coach Jeff Fisher, seen last season with quarterback Jared Goff, said he projected Goff to be capable of the kind of season he’s had in 2017. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Orange County Register/SCNG)

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE | vbonsignore@scng.com | Daily News
December 23, 2017 at 2:01 pm

In the spirit of the holiday season, it’s probably best we simply let Jeff Fisher’s comments about the Rams remarkable turnaround season, and the over-inflated role he believes he played in it, slide.

On the night before Christmas, with Sean McVay and Jared Goff and Todd Gurley and Aaron Donald one win away from delivering to their fans and Los Angeles an NFC West division championship — and who could have imagined that big shiny gift sitting under their Christmas tree one year ago? — the noble thing would be to laugh off Fisher as a guy who had one too many egg noggs.

But then Fisher and Dave McGinnis, his right-hand man during an unremarkable five-year Rams coaching run, were so egregious in their attempt to prop themselves up as the architects of this emerging power steamrolling its way across the NFL, it simply can’t go discarded.

The Rams can secure their first NFC West title in 14 years Sunday with a win over the Tennessee Titans. If so, they’ll culminate one of the most stunning about faces in NFL history by roaring all the way back from a 4-12 record in 2016 and the 13 other non-winning seasons that preceded it.

The way Fisher and McGinnis would have us believe, they set the whole thing up for McVay to simply swoop on in, tinker with things a little bit and then enjoy the ride of his life thanks to the stacked team they graciously left behind.

In a pair of recent interviews that can only be described as widely myopic, Fisher and McGinnis took some incredible leeway in taking some massive bows for the work McVay, the nearly completely overhauled coaching staff he built, and general manager Les Snead have done to turn the Rams around.

“I’m a huge fan of the Ram players,” Fisher said on Nashville’s The Midday 180 on Friday. “They’re basically — I don’t want to say my players, but I had a lot to do with that roster. Left them in pretty good shape. And Sean, as he’s proven in this very short period of time, is an outstanding young coach. And he’s got the offense rolling, which they needed.”

Said McGinnis: “First of all, Jeff Fisher and I, we built this roster, you know what I’m saying? So I know these guys very, very well.”

You can read everything McGinnis said here. And you can read what Fisher said — including all the excuses he makes for his overall Rams failure here.

To which we say to all of it: Bah humbug!

Yes, Fisher deserves some credit for some of the defensive players he and Snead drafted during their five years together. Donald, Alec Ogletree, Michael Brockers, Trumaine Johnson and Lamarcus Joyner were all drafted under Fisher’s watch.

And absolutely Fisher was in charge when Gurley, Goff and starting linemen Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown were drafted and special teams aces Pharoh Cooper, Johnny Hekker and Greg Zuerlein were acquired.

He also had help from Snead and the Rams scouting department, although you’d never know that listening to him and McGinnis rewrite history as the two men most responsible for the current Rams roster.

In the meantime, they completely glossed over the whole part about developing players and putting them in the best possible position to succeed and, ultimately, building a cohesive, competitive, functional team that can compete at the highest levels of the NFL.

For which Fisher was an abstract failure with the Rams. So for him to suggest he had everything set up for McVay is, frankly, laughable.

Fisher was in charge of the Rams for five seasons, including last year’s laughable first step back into Los Angeles in which 90,000+ crowds to begin the season dwindled to the mid 40,000’s after thousands upon thousands of fans decided they no longer wanted to waste their Sunday afternoon watching the kind of stomach-turning product Fisher and his staff were delivering.

The Rams weren’t just bad, they were epically boring and unimaginative.

The offensive philosophy was some dusted off relic straight out of the 1970’s, the foundation of which rested on a run game that would ultimately open things up through the air. The way Fisher saw it, you establish Gurley on the ground then create favorable situations for quarterbacks Case Keenum, and later Goff, with play action passes. Behind all that, you had a stellar defense and potent special teams to help keep games close.

What could go wrong, right? Everything, as it turns out.

All because Fisher was too hard-headed to make the necessary offensive adjustments to support the philosophy he preached.

After trading away six picks to surge to the top of the draft to select Goff, Fisher hung his young rookie out to dry by paying lip service to the necessary elements of quarterback and offensive development.

A defensive-minded head coach, Fisher inexplicably elevated veteran tight ends coach Rob Boras to offensive coordinator. Chris Weinke, who had absolutely zero track record in honing and nurturing rookie quarterbacks into eventual NFL standouts, was entrusted as Goff’s quarterback coach.

No upgrades were made along the offensive line, specifically left tackle, where Greg Robinson was grading out among the worst in the NFL.

And with an obvious need to improve a woeful wide receivers group, Fisher stubbornly kept the status quo intact. That meant Kenny Britt and Brian Quick and Tavon Austin were the three primary targets for Keenum and then Goff.

The lack of any real attention to the offense was an appalling oversight by Fisher. Gurley went from NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year to bust, as teams continually stacked the line of scrimmage and dared the Rams to beat them through the air.

A woeful offensive line could not counter by powering open holes. The pass protection was even worse. Britt, Quick and Austin were unreliable route runners and inconsistent pass catchers to whom defenses paid minimal respect.

By the end of the year, Gurley was calling the Rams offense “middle school” caliber. From overall talent to scheme to play calling, he was spot on.

When Goff finally got the starting role in the second half of the season, he was nothing more than a punching bag while getting ravaged by 26 sacks across seven games. Done in by a woeful supporting cast, unimaginative game plans and a complete and utter inability by coaches to make any adjustment.

In lieu of actual solutions to pressing issues, Fisher and his staff kept feeding us: “We’ll fix it.” “We just have to execute better.” For longtime Rams fans, it was the frustrating loop that played over and over and over during Fisher’s tenure.

When he was finally let go with three games left in the 2016 season, his final tally as the chief architect of the Rams was 31-45-1 and not a single playoff appearance. By the end of his run the Rams were getting worse, not better.

Fisher wasn’t solely responsible for the awful football teams he oversaw. But the bulk of the buck always has to stop somewhere, and with Fisher having the loudest say in coaching and personnel decisions and carte blanche to impose his will on the direction and vision of the on-field product, he was absolutely the most culpable.

It’s taken McVay mere months to do what Fisher never could: Build, develop and coach up a worthy NFL offense and construct an accountable, cohesive, complete team that’s s on the cusp of a division title.

Andrew Whitworth was brought in at left tackle, immediately turning a weakness into a strength. Veteran John Sullivan was brought in to solidify the center position. Rodger Saffold, Brown and Havenstein, now playing alongside better line-mates in a system more conducive to their talents, have emerged to lift the Rams line to among the best in the NFL.

That’s on McVay and Snead, not Fisher.

Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Sammy Watkins turned a mediocre wide receiver group into one of the most dangerous in the NFL. Fisher had nothing to do with any of them being acquired.

Goff, now surrounded by a much better supporting cast and playing in an imaginative, creative offensive system that always seems a step ahead of the defense, is a Pro Bowl alternate in his second year.

Gurley is flourishing in the run and pass game and is garnering recognition as the NFL MVP.

There are three groups that deserve to take bows right now: Mcvay and his staff. Snead and his staff. And the players.

Fisher deserves some credit. He was here when many of these players were drafted. But he also deserves a ton of blame for never taking them from Point A to Point B. Let alone Point Z.

Looks like he wants all of the former and plenty more that’s undeserved. But he completely glosses over the later.

To which we say: Bah Humbug.

Vinny B Rips Jeff Fisher a New One

Last edited:

…..

Legend
Fisher hasn't said much this year. To his credit, he faded away quietly. We all know the shortcomings of his tenure, after all we lived them day by day, play by play. Disappointed that when he someone finally catches up to him, they go to extra lengths to continue to make him look bad. I see no reason to kick a man when he's down. Not a fan of this article at all.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brian Schottenheimer, Frank Cignetti & Rob Boras...A.K.A., Jacob Marley, Ebenezer Scrooge & The Grinch!
1VlEoQ2.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher hasn't said much this year. To his credit, he faded away quietly. We all know the shortcomings of his tenure, after all we lived them day by day, play by play. Disappointed that when he someone finally catches up to him, they go to extra lengths to continue to make him look bad. I see no reason to kick a man when he's down. Not a fan of this article at all.
Well, I have started a thread about this very thing Dog....But the reason the this article exists is because of Jeff Fishers decision to go on a radio show in Nashville, trying to take partial credit for the Rams success this year, which is ridiculous.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle, (as usual).

Fisher did help build our present defense.
Fisher did have the last say that brought us Gurley and Goff...
and Donald...
and Ogletree...
and Barron and quite a few of our other contributing players.

He also brought in Fassel and gave him autonomy.
Fisher was also smart enough to let the good Scouts, scout and listen to Sneads recommendations.

I'm so over worrying about Fisher's shortcomings and just enjoying the present success.

…..

Legend
Well, I have started a thread about this very thing Dog....But the reason the this article exists is because of Jeff Fishers decision to go on a radio show in Nashville, trying to take partial credit for the Rams success this year, which is ridiculous.
I don't think he was "trying" to do any such thing. I took his comments to mean..."Hey the Rams and McVay are doing great and I'd like to think I had a little to do with that"

Which is true.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I don't think he was "trying" to do any such thing. I took his comments to mean..."Hey the Rams and McVay are doing great and I'd like to think I had a little to do with that"

Which is true.
Very rarely will I post this but

THIS x 1 (I would rate this in the top 10 of ROD if I could)

Bravo Dog

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Which is true.
Timing...
1. He chose to go on a radio show and say these things right before the Rams clinch the division.
2. Yes, he was part of choosing players during his almost 5 years with the team..But was Les Snead not involved? He never mentioned Snead at all in this interview (pretty sure about that).
3. He decided to insert himself into the Rams v Titans contest, with McGinnis running cover before his interview by saying similar things. It sounds coordinated to me so that he can make a case to be a HC again in upcoming interviews.

…..

Legend
Timing...
1. He chose to go on a radio show and say these things right before the Rams clinch the division.
2. Yes, he was part of choosing players during his almost 5 years with the team..But was Les Snead not involved? He never mentioned Snead at all in this interview (pretty sure about that).
3. He decided to insert himself into the Rams v Titans contest, with McGinnis running cover before his interview by saying similar things. It sounds coordinated to me so that he can make a case to be a HC again in upcoming interviews.
He belongs in the middle of the commentary, he coached both teams. I would say his comments Are applicable if I was a reporter. Are you saying that he thrust himself into the limelight here, but more dramatically he used McGinnes as covering smoke so he could approach the podium unnoticed??

Come on man....

I'm not sure if that's true or false, and don't even know how much I care, but I would wager someone went to Montana and pulled him off the river to ask a few questions.

Dude opens his mouth one time and the tar and feathers come out. No wonder he went into hiding.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He belongs in the middle of the commentary, he coached both teams. I would say his comments Are applicable if I was a reporter. Are you saying that he thrust himself into the limelight here, but more dramatically he used McGinnes as covering smoke so he could approach the podium unnoticed??

Come on man....

I'm not sure if that's true or false, and don't even know how much I care, but I would wager someone went to Montana and pulled him off the river to ask a few questions.

Dude opens his mouth one time and the tar and feathers come out. No wonder he went into hiding.
He talked on the Radio...not from recorded comments next to a Montana stream. He doesn't have to answer any questions even IF he was asked next to that Montana stream...."No Comment": it's easy to say...unless you want to say it (which he did).

bluecoconuts

Legend

Did he coach any of the current Titans players?

Sounds to me like Fisher wants a job, and he knows that nobody will hire him after seeing the turnaround from him to McVay, so he wants to get credit for it to increase his chances at a job.

nighttrain

Legend
What i think, where was Fisher at the beginning of the season? Was he talking up the Rams, nope. Now he thinks he deserves credit, OK, but damn little no-coach
train

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
So boiled down..... Fisher is a decent draft talent evaluator and a shitty HC.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Which is true.

I took it as Fisher saying that he was fired before the fruits of his labor could blossom. I understand he and Snead brought in most of the current 53, but Fisher failed to provide the coaching that was needed to achive success.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Which is true.
I believe it's another one of his uncooth moments like hauling all the draft picks out before the skins game. Fisher wants his name out there as a hc canadite and waited till the Rams basically have a playoff spot to do it. That way he looks like a great coach that was fired unfairly

…..

Legend
tough crowd. Bitter much?

@VegasRam if you're man enough to have a different opinion, them be man enough to state it

Go Rams!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
tough crowd. Bitter much?

@VegasRam if you're man enough to have a different opinion, them be man enough to state it

Go Rams!

That was a like buddy!

(@CGI- get the different opinion button away from next to the like button.)

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Fisher was at todays game

thought for sure he was going to lose us yet another game