Blythe aiming to become 'more physical, dominant player'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Heard Demby's been worked out at center. If he can show that he can backup there by the end of TC it's not good news for Blythe. It's Austin's job to lose right now but the need for him to step up is becoming obvious.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
About Blythe.

Like most everybody else, I like him and certainly appreciate the job he did last year.

However...

I think that he’s bumping on his ceiling already and therefore it’s unrealistic to think that he will develop significantly more.

IOW, I think we can do better. And I think Kromer feels the same way. Thus the Evans and Edwards picks and the reclaiming of Demby.

Don’t be surprised if Blythe becomes our backup OG and C this year and is allowed to walk in ‘20.

With this McVay coaching staff, best players play. Always.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It's not a good look when your worst game as a pro, is the most important game of your career, and the most important game for the whole team. I'm going to be real, it's going to be hard for me to have faith in him in the big moment, if hopefully, we get another chance.

I look at it differently. For young guys those mistakes can be learning lessons. Blythe acknowledged he was not as good late in the season. He now knows he can't take things for granted when it comes to his body.

When you're young you think you're invincible. You think wear and tear won't happen to you. I expect him to learn from that and be in the better shape this time around.

Quite a few people on offense performed poorly in that game. Even the coach. I expect them all to have lessons learned from that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I look at it differently. For young guys those mistakes can be learning lessons. Blythe acknowledged he was not as good late in the season. He now knows he can't take things for granted when it comes to his body.

When you're young you think you're invincible. You think wear and tear won't happen to you. I expect him to learn from that and be in the better shape this time around.

Quite a few people on offense performed poorly in that game. Even the coach. I expect them all to have lessons learned from that.
I respect that. The big moment thing for me is a big deal, because it wins championships, in my opinion. To be clear, I am not laying all the blame on Blythe, nor do I hate him, or hold him to a higher standard. His game was shit though, no two ways about it. Other people messed up, but this thread was about Blythe.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing to remember with the ZBS is that it allows for smaller OL who move well. Which means you don't need to go get the freak types who go round one, you can have a good line with smaller technician types. That, along with the move to OG, is what saved Blythe's career.

He is simply in that business window where he probably won't be the guy they lock up. But I see no reason why he won't go on to a solid career when he leaves in FA. I do think he is a starter level OG in a zone scheme.

After this season Rams will have affordable options on the interior and might be in a position where they need to solve LT while they're trying to pay Jared. Business decision IMO.

Ram65

Legend
I've been saying let the competition begin at RG. Glad to here that Blythe looks bigger and stronger coming back. Also, that he knows he needs to work harder during the season to be ready. For right now he is the starter. He can improve but, he will have young guns ready to take his spot. Just hope he learns from last season and makes adjustments. It will be interesting to see what happens because it is the last year of his contract.