Blythe aiming to become 'more physical, dominant player'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
usatsi_11976636.jpg

Austin Blythe aiming to become 'more physical, dominant player'

The Los Angeles Rams made a change to their offensive line last season, but not necessarily by choice. Right guard Jamon Brown was facing a two-game suspension to start the year, and so they had to find a short-term replacement.

Well, their interim right guard became the permanent one with Austin Blythe starting every game for the Rams last season. The center-turned-guard had a strong first season as a starter in 2018, but it was by no means perfect.

Blythe knows there are areas in which he has to improve in order to take the next step in 2019.

“Just being a more consistent football player,” Blythe said, via Vincent Bonsignore of The Athletic. “I think I started the season out strong last year but you know, down the stretch, like I said that I took for granted how my body was feeling, didn’t get the treatment and recovery stuff I needed. But number two, just being a more physical, dominant player both in the run and the pass. And having fun with it, too. Towards the end of the season, I probably put a little too much pressure on myself and I’ve just to remember I’m a good football player and I’m in the position I am because I’m a good football player. So just remembering that and having fun with it.”

Blythe mentioned that he thought his body was feeling good during the season, but he may not have been as healthy as he could’ve been.

“I thought I was feeling healthy, but looking back I think there are some things I can do to get in the training room — just small things — just recovery stuff and making sure I’m feeling great come day time,” he said.

The Rams did draft two offensive linemen in Bobby Evans and David Edwards, but that doesn’t put Blythe in danger of losing his job. He’s almost certain to be the starting right guard again and Sean McVay is looking forward to him becoming an even better player in Year 2.

“I think just continue to take steps,” McVay said of what he wants to see from Blythe. “He played really good football. I think when you look at just production in the run game, production in pass pro, having an understanding and a mastery of some of the things we’re trying to do specific to our identity offensively. He’s got great athleticism – when you want to measure some of the lengths and things like that, he plays long, he plays fast, he plays physical, and he was productive. And I think that’s a real credit to him.”

Blythe is entering a pivotal season, not only because the Rams are welcoming two new starters on the offensive line with Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen, but because it’s the final year of his contract.

The Rams rewarded Rob Havenstein last offseason before he played the last year of his rookie deal, and a similar approach could be taken with Blythe. However, it’s likely they’ll want to see a larger sample size from the one-year starter.

If he gets off to a good start, though, don’t be surprised to see the Rams extend a contract his way.

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Blythe is entering a pivotal season, not only because the Rams are welcoming two new starters on the offensive line with Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen, but because it’s the final year of his contract.
I think this is going to drive him to have an outstanding season (y)

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Good drive, he's got the playbook down and can focus on offseason conditioning to meet the physical assignments at ease

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Blythe is lookin at these young dudes and thinkin "oh $#!T, better get serious!"

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
So he knows his play dropped off at the end of the season. Hope he worked out and beefed up a bit.

Ram65

Legend
Blythe was mentioned a player who looked like he worked out in the off season. IIRC it was D Farr that stated this. I've stated that there will be competition at RG with Evans and Everett. Was glad to hear Blythe looked bigger and now read this it sounds like he knows he can be better. Why not? He has a big pay day waiting if he can keep improving.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Blythe will have another good season at RG, and he is definitely the backup at center. But I don't believe the Rams will sign him again. Just not enough money to go around, and they can always draft his replacement, if they haven't already. And when some team does sign him for 4 or 5 million per, my guess is that he will become JAG. Especially if they don't play the zone-blocking system. For whatever reason Kromer's system makes guys play better than they are. IMHO of course.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It's not a good look when your worst game as a pro, is the most important game of your career, and the most important game for the whole team. I'm going to be real, it's going to be hard for me to have faith in him in the big moment, if hopefully, we get another chance.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It's not a good look when your worst game as a pro, is the most important game of your career, and the most important game for the whole team. I'm going to be real, it's going to be hard for me to have faith in him in the big moment, if hopefully, we get another chance.

Might have been McVay’s worst game as a coach, right? I still have faith in him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Might have been McVay’s worst game as a coach, right? I still have faith in him.
Different animal. You can have faith in Blythe, I won't begrudge anyone that, but I will not, until I do.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Different animal. You can have faith in Blythe, I won't begrudge anyone that, but I will not, until I do.

Yeah - it’s different - but it was the biggest game for both guys. Sounds like Blythe wore down - he wasn’t the only one who did - just maybe the most obvious.

I don’t necessarily have a ton of faith in him, but I’m ready to start the season with a clean slate - for all of them.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
He had BETTER bulk up. Guy let me down. All I am gonna say.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah - it’s different - but it was the biggest game for both guys. Sounds like Blythe wore down - he wasn’t the only one who did - just maybe the most obvious.

I don’t necessarily have a ton of faith in him, but I’m ready to start the season with a clean slate - for all of them.
Some of the shine came off McVay, and some other players as well. Championship moments define athletes and coaches. I firmly, and have always believed that. I'm not tossing anybody out the window, mind you, but I am looking with a more critical eye. My hopes are that the loss, and the players, and coaches who didn't perform well, took it to heart, and learn to find a way to be better.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Some of the shine came off McVay, and some other players as well. Championship moments define athletes and coaches. I firmly, and have always believed that. I'm not tossing anybody out the window, mind you, but I am looking with a more critical eye. My hopes are that the loss, and the players, and coaches who didn't perform well, took it to heart, and learn to find a way to be better.

Agreed. There isn’t much shame in being out coached by Bill B - but I certainly expected more. It isn’t a total shock that the game was just too big for a lot of the guys - kind of like our first playoff game v ATL in ‘17. Next year we will be ready for the final step.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

In fairness I do recall all pro offensive linemen that had some issues in Super Bowls, albeit they were playing across another all pro defensive linemen.....Bob Kuechenberg of the Dolphins who just passed in January I was reading, had an horrendous Super Bowl against the Dallas Cowboys in 1971 against Bob Lilly, so although I was just as dissapointed in Blythe, it was his first year as a starter and his 3rd year in the league, if Blythe comes back this year more physical and is better because of it, then I guess I can forgive because he did play lights out against the Dallas Cowboys as most of Anderson's runs was over Blythe.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yep. There's a reason they brought in the two guys they did. And next year will include at least one more OL. McVay isn't perfect, but he's relentless in identifying where the team was weak and addressing it. We saw that from year one to year two, and now again it's going to be obvious from year two to three in the young players seizing jobs on the interior OL and NT, not to mention the upgrades to safety.

I like Blythe. But he's just not a core guy who will be locked up and there's nothing wrong with that. Hope he sets himself up for a big contract by playing his @$$ off this year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I still have faith in Blythe. He was great for most of the season, and everyone on the Rams had a bad game in the Super Bowl.

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm glad that Austin has realized that last year wasn't good enough. He's seen his mistakes, owned them and now is moving forward to improve himself. That's the sign of a pro. Props to him. That said, he's going to face stiff competition to hold on to his starting job. Let's face it, Blythe isn't the most gifted athlete and he's on a team where the HC and GM prize athleticism. There are things that he struggled with that go beyond simple conditioning. He needs to improve his strength and quickness, and his overall awareness of the game. Field vision is something most people attribute to RB's and QB's. But it really applies to all positions. That is something that he can try to improve but IMO it's mostly a god given talent. He missed blocks because he saw them too late and lacked the athleticism to recover.

Like I've posted previously, I don't hate Blythe, but I question whether he's the long term starter at RG. The fact that Allen beat him out at Center tells me a lot of what the coaches see. The Rams use a zone blocking scheme. There are several reasons for it but basically it allows them to develop their oline quickly as it's a concept almost all of the rookies have played since high school. The players simply focus upon adjusting to the higher degree of precision required in their technique and the much increased speed of the game. In this scheme the RG really needs to be a road grader but with enough athleticism to get to and execute blocks on the second level. A staple of the Ram's run attack is the inside zone run. Most versions of it require the RG to drive the 3 technique off the LOS something Blythe struggled with. Way too many times the center had to combo with him, which would often leave the MLB unblocked limiting the gain.

Bottom line is that Blythe coming in was undersized to play OG and viewed strictly as a backup center prospect in the NFL. At 6'2" with 31" arms and 298 lbs he's pretty much reached his physical potential and he's still physically out matched as a OG. He simply doesn't have the length (play radius) and weight you want at the position in a starter. Compared to Jamil Demby who has almost prototypical at 6'5", 321 lbs and 33 3/4" arms. At the Senior Bowl he impressed especially with quick feet for a man of his size. That IMO is the problem Blythe is facing. If he can beat out the others so be it and more power to him.