Blake Countess fined/Coby Fleener lands on injured reserve

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/01/blake-countess-fined-24308-for-hit-on-coby-fleener/

Blake Countess fined $24,308 for hit on Coby Fleener
Posted by Josh Alper on December 1, 2017

879857472-e1512164499479.jpg

Getty Images

The Saints will be playing without tight end Coby Fleener against the Panthers on Sunday because Fleener is in the concussion protocol.

Fleener briefly remained in the game after a shot to the head from Rams defensive back Blake Countess, but was pulled a short time later with a head injury. Countess should be in the Rams lineup against the Eagles this weekend, albeit with a lighter wallet waiting for him in the locker room.

PFT has confirmed that Countess, who was penalized, was fined $24,308 for the hit on Fleener. That is the minimum fine for a first illegal hit on a defenseless receiver offense.

None of the other players to be flagged for personal fouls in Sunday’s game were fined. Saints safety Kenny Vacarro and Rams right tackle Rob Havenstein were called for facemask fouls while Saints running back Mark Ingram was penalized for a chop-block.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Very much deserved. Sorry, Countess, but that was a borderline dirty hit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Blake must to be trying to make up for all the whiffs he has contributed too since Cody Davis went to the IR. Blake Countess has been a disappointment of mine after how good he played last season. BC has gotten a ton of snaps with the ongoing injuries to our #2 & #3 corners (Webster/NR-C) that causes our best safety Joyner forced from his post to play for the missing corners. Why because corners Troy Hill & Dom Hatfield would be forced into action. We seen that :poop: before from those two young UDFA's. Last week it was NR-C who out again thus LJ went to the Nickle for the entire 3rd & 4th quarters against the Saints. Thus we saw BC on the field for most snaps.

Wade has tried to keep LJ @ safety post by using BC to play the NIckle....NOT GOOD...BC played the Nickle & we get a sure lose lose. So BC plays better @ safety. Cody Davis could be back from the IR for wk #17 if we are lucky. Not sure how bad the thigh injury was but if Cody can come back this would be big....let hope for the best here. Marqui Christian has proven to be a worse whiff-er than BC in case you asked where he is at.

Rams will certainly be forced to sign UFA LJ back in 3 months & even consider safety UFA Cody Davis again too. Why due to the five DB named Blake Countess, Marqui Christian Isaiah Johnson, Dom Hatfield & Troy Hill is why. Not sure there is one of these five DB's is worth investing in for the future. Snead has bragged on Hatfield though. Good thing we have 8 draft picks.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw that play differently then him being dirty the receiver was stretched out for the pass Countess dipped low went in for the tackle when the receiver suddenly balled up it caused Countess to hit him in the head when he was originally aiming for the midsection. That’s just a bang bang play not dirty at all. He deserved the flag and the fine but it wasn’t a dirty play just a football play

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Last week it was NR-C who out again thus LJ went to the Nickle for the entire 3rd & 4th quarters against the Saints. Thus we saw BC on the field for most snaps.
From what I hear NR_C will be back in this week so we're in good shape for the Cards game!!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I saw that play differently then him being dirty the receiver was stretched out for the pass Countess dipped low went in for the tackle when the receiver suddenly balled up it caused Countess to hit him in the head when he was originally aiming for the midsection. That’s just a bang bang play not dirty at all. He deserved the flag and the fine but it wasn’t a dirty play just a football play

I'd also say that the Mark Ingram play was not a purposeful chop block. He went to put a block on Ogletree and Tree juked him as he lunged. Ingram lost his balance and ended up falling into Donald's knees. Right call but I don't feel like Ingram was going for a chop block.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
From what I hear NR_C will be back in this week so we're in good shape for the Cards game!!
Yes sir looks like your correct here. I was worried a bit due to the ankle injury of Webster that had kept him out of practice all week but I see that today he was FP along with NR-C! thats great news!

With all 3 of those corners ready for action LJ should be able to remain @ the Safety post with Johnson III. Leaving Blake Countess on the sideline with Christian, Hill & Hatfield.;)(y)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It takes a lot before I will play the dirty hit card. It was not smart and it sort of exemplifies how I have seen him play this season. He just doesn't play like he has it figured out. Appropriate to fine him for it as it was a blatantly bad hit but I don't know that it was done with malice.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was pissed. First the dropped interception then that play. We need smart plays if we’re to contend and that play let the Saints have life. Hopefully coaching if not the fine will correct this behavior. Please don’t let us go out the way the Bengals did against the Steelers a few years back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was deserved. It was just a dumb play that ended up giving NO points, IIRC.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Countess should be in the Rams lineup against the Eagles this weekend,

We're playing the Eagles? Guess I need to cancel my hotel reservations in Phoenix.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Blake must to be trying to make up for all the whiffs he has contributed too since Cody Davis went to the IR. Blake Countess has been a disappointment of mine after how good he played last season. BC has gotten a ton of snaps with the ongoing injuries to our #2 & #3 corners (Webster/NR-C) that causes our best safety Joyner forced from his post to play for the missing corners. Why because corners Troy Hill & Dom Hatfield would be forced into action. We seen that :poop: before from those two young UDFA's. Last week it was NR-C who out again thus LJ went to the Nickle for the entire 3rd & 4th quarters against the Saints. Thus we saw BC on the field for most snaps.

Wade has tried to keep LJ @ safety post by using BC to play the NIckle....NOT GOOD...BC played the Nickle & we get a sure lose lose. So BC plays better @ safety. Cody Davis could be back from the IR for wk #17 if we are lucky. Not sure how bad the thigh injury was but if Cody can come back this would be big....let hope for the best here. Marqui Christian has proven to be a worse whiff-er than BC in case you asked where he is at.

Rams will certainly be forced to sign UFA LJ back in 3 months & even consider safety UFA Cody Davis again too. Why due to the five DB named Blake Countess, Marqui Christian Isaiah Johnson, Dom Hatfield & Troy Hill is why. Not sure there is one of these five DB's is worth investing in for the future. Snead has bragged on Hatfield though. Good thing we have 8 draft picks.
Hmmm, maybe i havent been paying as good of attention as you, but I've seen Countess make quite a few good plays for a young buck. But i agree, that hit was unnecessary.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hmmm, maybe i havent been paying as good of attention as you, but I've seen Countess make quite a few good plays for a young buck. But i agree, that hit was unnecessary.
Early in the season I wanted to see Countess over the speedy Cody Davis one reason was the demonstrated tackling of Countess late 2016. But Cody came in here & took up Wade's secondary scheme with some very good play overall. Best in Cody's career.....its a shame he was injured.

Not sure what happened to BC, I posted earlier this week that BC gets himself in good position to make the tackle but this season has not been as dependable. Lats yr he played close to the LOS & was not as active deep in space like this season. Finally yes BC has made some good plays this season but equally failed to make many others. many have resulted in putting points on the board against us.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Blake Countess has been a disappointment of mine after how good he played last season.

Not sure what happened to BC, I posted earlier this week that BC gets himself in good position to make the tackle but this season has not been as dependable. Lats yr he played close to the LOS & was not as active deep in space like this season. Finally yes BC has made some good plays this season but equally failed to make many others. many have resulted in putting points on the board against us.
Seems like it's time to try Marqui Christian....maybe Isiah Johnson.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW I am not a fan of Blake Countess always seems like something goes awry when he's on the field and with that being posted I trust him more than Dominique Hatfield, who proved he's not the real McCoy at CB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Seems like it's time to try Marqui Christian....maybe Isiah Johnson.
Maybe but not this Sunday. MC has been great on the hit but has always bad on the wrappings. His coverage skills are primarily grab & grab some more. I do not see MC as a good fit in this Wade secondary. I still have hope for BC but @ the moment I am :mad::rant:towards BC. Now I do view Isaiah Johnson as a decent prospect to replace both MC & BC in 2018.But I understand that we have to have players like MC & BC so we can have players like Watkins & Donald.

I sure hope that Cody Davis is healthy enough to return from the IR to finish the regular season & going into the playoffs. This would be a huge upgrade for our secondary! I would also suggest to get safety Cody Davis extended here for another 2 seasons with a slight raise.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would also suggest to get safety Cody Davis extended here for another 2 seasons with a slight raise.
Extend after his first major injury???? Maybe a one year deal....

I think DB's can be found anywhere...every year....let Snead work...tell him what you want.

Marqui Christian is a turnover machine waiting to happen...probably a personal foul machine too. LOL...but he's better than Blake....Blake can't cover or tackle...LMAO!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Extend after his first major injury???? Maybe a one year deal....

I think DB's can be found anywhere...every year....let Snead work...tell him what you want.

Marqui Christian is a turnover machine waiting to happen...probably a personal foul machine too. LOL...but he's better than Blake....Blake can't cover or tackle...LMAO!

Cody's Major injury? I do not have that info CHAMP can you get that to me? I know he had a thigh injury not real clear after that.