Black Monday: And the axe has already fallen on some

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Unless, of course, quarterback Peyton Manning deserves a lot more credit than he ever has gotten for his contributions to last year’s team. Dubbed “sub-optimal, near-replacement-level” quarterback by the team’s website as the franchise moved on from Manning and Brock Osweiler in March, there was nothing sub-optimal nor near-replacement-level about Manning’s brain and his leadership qualities.

Imagine that.

Like everyone, I could see Manning's physical skills declining... but too many (not necessarily here at ROD) downplayed his role in that team winning the SB.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/01/49ers-will-hire-g-m-first-who-will-hire-coach/

49ers will hire G.M. first, who will hire coach
Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2017

630771864-e1483320083651.jpg
Getty Images

As 49ers coach Chip Kelly prepares to throw a Hail Mary pass in an effort to save his job, the current plan in San Francisco hinges on Kelly not being able to change the franchise’s mind.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the 49ers intend to hire a General Manager. Then, the new G.M. will hire a coach.

This intended approach suggests that the G.M. will have final say over the roster and the draft, with the coach essentially working for the G.M.

Kelly will try his best to reverse that momentum on Sunday night. The expectation will be that, as he did on 14 of 16 game days in 2016, Kelly will fail.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/01/kubiak-tells-broncos-hes-retiring/

Kubiak tells Broncos he’s retiring

630770134-e1483319469434.jpg
Getty Images

After Sunday’s season-ending win over the Raiders, Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said he’ll publicly address his future on Monday. He privately has shared his plans with the team.

Per multiple sources, Kubiak has told Broncos players that he will retire.

The move already has been couched as arising from health concerns. However, the extent to which changes would have been made to his coaching staff also is a factor. Kubiak did not want to show disloyalty to any of the men who helped the team win Super Bowl 50.

The staff will now surely change, perhaps dramatically. The contract of defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is expiring; there’s chatter among the Broncos players that Wade will be retiring.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/01/mike-zimmer-to-return-in-2017/

Mike Zimmer to return in 2017

630500274-e1483311655928.jpg
Getty Images

A bizarre season in Minnesota won’t be ending with a coaching change.

Coach Mike Zimmer will return to the Vikings for a fourth season, PFT has confirmed.

The 2016 season became a major disappointment for a team that won the NFC North a year ago and nearly beat Seattle in the wild-card round. Amid expectations of a possible Super Bowl run, the Vikings lost quarterback Teddy Bridgewater less than two weeks before the start of the regular season and running back Adrian Peterson in Week Two. Numerous other injuries ravaged the roster and, specifically, the offensive line.

The Vikings responded to the Bridgewater injury by making a trade for quarterback Sam Bradford, who became the starter in Week Two and started every game thereafter. The Vikings were the NFL’s last unbeaten team at 5-0, but the wheels came off after the bye.

Offensive coordinator Norv Turner abruptly quit after a Week Eight loss to the Bears, and the offense never really improved, with a subpar running game and a passing game that focused mainly on short throws. Zimmer himself missed a Thursday night game after emergency eye surgery.

The low point came last month, with a blowout loss at home to the Colts followed by a Christmas Eve mutiny, with the defensive backs ignoring the plan for covering Packers receiver Jordy Nelson. A clumsy effort to cram the toothpaste back into the tube ensued. Via Jay Glazer of FOX, ownership asked questions about what happened, and the explanation apparently was sufficient to cause no problems for Zummer.

Hired in 2014, Zimmer received a contract extension in July. He’s 26-22 in three years as a head coach.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/01/chargers-fire-mike-mccoy/

Chargers fire Mike McCoy

630766518-e1483321541674.jpg
Getty Images

The Chargers had been keeping their plans for coach Mike McCoy close to the vest. Now that the season is over, the sheet has been removed.

The team has announced that McCoy, who spent four seasons with the Chargers, will not return in 2017.

“Mike McCoy is a man of high character, and we thank him for his dedication to the Chargers,” Chargers president of football operations John Spanos said in a release. “The decision to dismiss Mike was made in the best interests of our franchise. Our team’s disappointing performance has not matched this team’s potential and has fallen short of the demanding standards that we seek to impose throughout our organization. Our comprehensive search for a new head coach begins immediately.”

The press release includes a comment from G.M. Tom Telesco, which likely means he’s safe.

The search for a new coach begins at a time when it’s not known whether the team will return to San Diego. Within the next two weeks, the Chargers must decide whether to move to Los Angeles or stay put.

The quick move on McCoy suggests a quick decision also will becoming on the relocation question. If they are going to go to L.A., the sooner they go, the sooner they will start the competition with the Rams for hearts, minds, and pocketbooks in a new market.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/01/chargers-fire-mike-mccoy/

Chargers fire Mike McCoy

630766518-e1483321541674.jpg
Getty Images

The Chargers had been keeping their plans for coach Mike McCoy close to the vest. Now that the season is over, the sheet has been removed.

The team has announced that McCoy, who spent four seasons with the Chargers, will not return in 2017.

“Mike McCoy is a man of high character, and we thank him for his dedication to the Chargers,” Chargers president of football operations John Spanos said in a release. “The decision to dismiss Mike was made in the best interests of our franchise. Our team’s disappointing performance has not matched this team’s potential and has fallen short of the demanding standards that we seek to impose throughout our organization. Our comprehensive search for a new head coach begins immediately.”

The press release includes a comment from G.M. Tom Telesco, which likely means he’s safe.

The search for a new coach begins at a time when it’s not known whether the team will return to San Diego. Within the next two weeks, the Chargers must decide whether to move to Los Angeles or stay put.

The quick move on McCoy suggests a quick decision also will becoming on the relocation question. If they are going to go to L.A., the sooner they go, the sooner they will start the competition with the Rams for hearts, minds, and pocketbooks in a new market.

OC???

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Agreed with the others. No way I am giving up prime picks for Asshole Face.

If Paton was a good enough coach to warrant two 2 rounders in a trade, he'd have found a way to post some better records lately with Drew Brees as his QB and a wealth off offensive weapons. Oh, what's that? The problem was his defences? Well after Fisher I've had more than enough of head coaches that can't get one side of the ball to even be mediocre after several years in charge. Hard pass.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Every year fortunes rise and fall as ex-head coaches return to the coordinator ranks and perform at a high level. There are some names out there now who are going to make a big impact on this league, starting with McCoy as some lucky team's OC. Same deal with Phillips, who with an expiring contract and a new coach coming in will definitely change some team's defensive fortunes, barring Denver promoting him.

Buckle up dudes, next week is gonna get real.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Yeah ... the competition is now going to be maxed out for the top candidates. It's not like we are just going to be competing with the likes of say Cleveland. there are going to be some appealing jobs out there and a LOT of movement

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The 49ers have made it official: general manager Trent Baalke and coach Chip Kelly have been fired. Sweeping change has come to the Niners. They now set about trying to find the right coach and general manager to lead them into the future. It doesn't figure to be an easy task given the state of the roster and the instability of the franchise over the past few years. - per Nick Wagoner

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/01/49ers-announce-chip-kelly-has-been-fired/

49ers announce Chip Kelly has been fired
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 1, 2017

623045152-e1480535069500.jpg
Getty Images

Chip Kelly is fired. Again.

Two hours after Kelly’s 49ers finished their season at 2-14, the team announced that Kelly has been fired. It’s the second year in a row that Kelly has been fired, after he was fired by the Eagles last year. It’s also the second year in a row that the 49ers have fired their coach after just one season, having done the same to Jim Tomsula last year.

“Chip has my gratitude for the job he did this year, navigating the team through some adverse circumstances,” 49ers owner Jed York said in a statement. “I look forward to watching his career continue to unfold, and wish him and Jill great success in life.”

The 49ers also confirmed that G.M. Trent Baalke was fired.

Kelly’s future in coaching is a major question in the football world. At Oregon, Kelly was considered perhaps the single most innovative coach in the entire sport. But in the NFL he’s been a major disappointment. It remains to be seen whether his next job will be in the NFL or in college, and whether he’ll get another head coaching job or whether he’ll have to settle for being an offensive coordinator.

The 49ers will now begin the search for a new G.M. and then a new coach.

Share this:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Two second round picks? HA! Give me Kyle Shanahan at that price.

I disagree. I think Asshole Face is just that much of a QB whisperer and will make that much of a difference to Goff. That much MORE than Kyle Shanahan.

PLUS...Kyle still hasn't demonstrated that he can lead a team. The one thing that worries me is that he's got all the red flags that McD had going into Denver.

I know he's brilliant. That's not the question. The question is can he lead guys who aren't as brilliant, who have to slug it out in the trenches. Because the game isn't always Xs and Os. Sometimes it's mud and blood and heart and fighting through clenched jaw for that extra inch. I dunno if Kyle gets the guys all on the same page for that. I dunno.

But I have faith that Asshole Face would.

I'm not disqualifying Kyle by any means. But in my maddening way, I'm seeing Asshole Face as "the match" for this team.

I would hope that we could reduce the amount from 2 2nds if for no reason than even the Saints know it's time for them to move on.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/gailey-retires-five-jets-assistants-fired/

Gailey retires, five Jets assistants fired
Posted by Zac Jackson on January 3, 2017

Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey has announced his retirement, and the team announced Tuesday that five other assistant coaches have been fired.

So, head coach Todd Bowles remains on the job for a third season but will have a very different staff.

Relieved of their duties were quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, running backs coach Marcel Shipp, defensive line coach Pepper Johnson, outside linebackers coach Mark Collins and defensive backs coach Joe Danna.

Defensive Coordinator Kacy Rodgers will return, but Bowles will now publicly pursue a new offensive coordinator. The team’s release said Gailey informed Bowles before the recently completed season that he planned to retire.

“I thought it was best to tell him early, so that he could begin to think about how he would move the team forward on offense,” Gailey said in the team’s statement. “While we did not have the season we all wanted to have, I think there are some great people here at the Jets and in the New York/New Jersey area. I wish them all the best moving forward.”

Gailey turns 65 later this week. He’s a former head coach of the Bills and Cowboys and was also a coordinator for the Steelers, Broncos, Dolphins and Chiefs.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/04/report-bears-part-ways-with-two-assistants/

Report: Bears part ways with two assistants
Posted by Josh Alper on January 4, 2017

The Bears opted against making a change involving head coach John Fox after a 3-13 season, but they are making changes to his staff.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that the team has fired offensive line coach Dave Magazu and assistant defensive backs coach Sam Garnes, both of whom coached with Fox in both Carolina and Denver before coming with him to Chicago.

At a Wednesday press conference, Fox didn’t confirm the departures and said the team is still figuring things out. He did confirm that running backs coach Stan Drayton is leaving the team in order to take a job at the University of Texas and that there won’t be changes involving the team’s coordinators.

Magazu joined up with Fox with the Panthers in 2003, so his departure ends a long run for the two of them. There’s no word on a replacement, but the Bears did have assistant offensive line coach Ben Wilkerson and longtime NFL center Kevin Mawae working with their offensive linemen this season.

Garnes began working with Fox in Carolina for the 2010 season and the former NFL safety worked with players at that position in all three stops.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Did any head coaches actually get fired on Black Monday this year? I could've sworn that most if not all were let go prior.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Did any head coaches actually get fired on Black Monday this year? I could've sworn that most if not all were let go prior.

No. Can never remember that happening before. It was Black Sunday this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/04/titans-fire-both-their-receivers-coaches/

Titans fire both their receivers coaches
Posted by Josh Alper on January 4, 2017

Titans coach Mike Mularkey spent time during 2016 offseason talking about the need to see more from the team’s wide receivers.

He’s kicking off the 2017 offseason with a search for wide receivers coaches who he believes can bring more to the team than the ones they worked with this year. The Titans announced on Wednesday that they have dismissed wide receivers coach Bob Bratkowski and assistant wide receivers coach Jason Tucker.

“I have a lot of respect for both Bob and Jason and I want to thank them for their work this year,” Mularkey said, via the team’s website. “The search process begins now as we look for a coach to lead the wide receivers and add to our coaching group on offense.”

The Titans shook up their receiving group before the start of the season by trading Dorial Green-Beckham and releasing Justin Hunter, leaving newly signed Rishard Matthews and rookie Tajae Sharpe at the top of the depth chart. The overall results weren’t too different from the previous season, but the Titans offense was much better overall thanks to their improved running game.

Adding another weapon for Marcus Mariota on the outside along with continued growth from Sharpe could have a similar impact on the passing side of things in 2017.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-joe-barry-three-other-coaches-wont-return/

Washington announces Joe Barry, three other coaches won’t return
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 5, 2017

It wasn’t quite the whole defensive staff, but Washington coach Jay Gruden has made major changes today.

Gruden announced today that four assistants won’t be back for the 2017 season: defensive coordinator Joe Barry, defensive backs coach Perry Fewell, defensive line coach Robb Akey and strength and conditioning coach Mike Clark.

The biggest move is the departure of Barry, who has spent the last two years as Washington’s defensive coordinator and hasn’t done much to improve a bad defense. Gruden clearly thinks it’s time to move in another direction, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see more assistants let go if a new defensive coordinator decides to bring in his own guys.

Big names Gruden could consider include Wade Phillips, whose son Wes is on Gruden’s offensive staff, and Gus Bradley, who previously coached for Jay’s brother Jon in Tampa.

It’s going to be a big offseason in Washington, where the team also needs to decide whether Kirk Cousins is the franchise quarterback. Gruden has some very immportant decisions ahead of him.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-joe-barry-three-other-coaches-wont-return/

Washington announces Joe Barry, three other coaches won’t return
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 5, 2017

It wasn’t quite the whole defensive staff, but Washington coach Jay Gruden has made major changes today.

Gruden announced today that four assistants won’t be back for the 2017 season: defensive coordinator Joe Barry, defensive backs coach Perry Fewell, defensive line coach Robb Akey and strength and conditioning coach Mike Clark.

The biggest move is the departure of Barry, who has spent the last two years as Washington’s defensive coordinator and hasn’t done much to improve a bad defense. Gruden clearly thinks it’s time to move in another direction, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see more assistants let go if a new defensive coordinator decides to bring in his own guys.

Big names Gruden could consider include Wade Phillips, whose son Wes is on Gruden’s offensive staff, and Gus Bradley, who previously coached for Jay’s brother Jon in Tampa.

It’s going to be a big offseason in Washington, where the team also needs to decide whether Kirk Cousins is the franchise quarterback. Gruden has some very immportant decisions ahead of him.
I'm going out on a limb to say Gregg Williams will be Washington's D-Coordinator next year.