Black Monday: And the axe has already fallen on some

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For the record if the Rams are overwhelmed by Vance Joseph and they hire him I hope he secures either Ken Whisenhunt or Mike McCoy as Offensive Coordinator.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'd rather move on from Williams at this point.
I agree whole heartedly. Overated IMO with the defensive talent we've had and him going prevent early and often. Pegged a top 5 defense every year but failed every year. Bend but don't break that works sometimes but most often not. Color me unimpressed. Yes, he got screwed by an offense that couldn't get anything done, but it still should have been better. I have stated months ago if be fine with moving on from him and am still of that mindset.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree whole heartedly. Overated IMO with the defensive talent we've had and him going prevent early and often. Pegged a top 5 defense every year but failed every year. Bend but don't break that works sometimes but most often not. Color me unimpressed. Yes, he got screwed by an offense that couldn't get anything done, but it still should have been better. I have stated months ago if be fine with moving on from him and am still of that mindset.

I won't go that far. He's a quality DC. He's done his job. But I feel like a fresh start is needed. And I'm tired of some of his tendencies.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I don't believe in exchanging on field resources for Coaches. Money sure but not picks. Their are a few exceptions and I don't see his name listed

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I won't go that far. He's a quality DC. He's done his job. But I feel like a fresh start is needed. And I'm tired of some of his tendencies.
Yes he is a quality DC, but not here anymore. He wasn't given a fair shake because of the offense. But agree a fresh start us needed on both sides. If we had even a near average offense who knows. But I don't see any new HC we hire retaining him. Might be a bad or good decision but no doubt will happen. Having Payton run the offense with him might work again, but that'd never happen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't believe in exchanging on field resources for Coaches. Money sure but not picks. Their are a few exceptions and I don't see his name listed

Mostly agreed. Only thing I'd be willing to do is a conditional 2018 pick based on how we do in 2017. I think it's fair. It would be something like:
5th round pick: 8-8 or worse
4th round pick: Winning record
3rd round pick: Playoffs
2nd round pick: Make the Super Bowl

If Payton gets us to the Super Bowl in 2017, I'm cool with them having a 2018 2nd round pick.
(Just to be clear, they don't get each of these picks. They'd receive one pick.)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mostly agreed. Only thing I'd be willing to do is a conditional 2018 pick based on how we do in 2017. I think it's fair. It would be something like:
5th round pick: 8-8 or worse
4th round pick: Winning record
3rd round pick: Playoffs
2nd round pick: Make the Super Bowl

If Payton gets us to the Super Bowl in 2017, I'm cool with them having a 2018 2nd round pick.
(Just to be clear, they don't get each of these picks. They'd receive one pick.)

I'd be good with that too, but tbh what really needs to be asked is if he's the guy the Rams are certain they want.

If I were the GM, for example, he is the top candidate that I view as a perfect fit for this place and time. He's an ex-hot coordinator who won it all, and who did hire aggressively on the other side of the ball. Should be better, too, this time around with Stan's money, Demoff's cap control, and a GM he will have a part in selecting. He is the guy I envision being here for the next decade, so I'd pony up a round 2 pick in a heartbeat for him.

Just like selecting a QB in the draft, going after Payton wouldn't be for the next year for me. It would be about getting the right guy in place and supporting him while he puts it all together. In the face of that a round 2 pick is gravy.

FRO

Legend
I'm really intruiged by Toub. The HC position isn't an Xs and Os position as much as its a CEO position. A special teams coordinator deals with both offensive and defensive players. Toub is known as a motivator. Get him top flight coordinators and go. As far as the coordinators go Shanahan and Patricia are guys I would consider. I think the Rams should get a young coach looking to make their mark.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...iams-open-to-possibility-of-staying-with-rams

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams open to possibility of staying with Rams
By Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News

THOUSAND OAKS >> The Rams will most likely enter next season with an entirely new coaching staff. But if the team’s new head coach wants to keep a few current assistants, at least one is willing to listen.

When asked Friday about a possible offer, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said he’d be open to the idea of remaining in Los Angeles.

“I love coaching,” he said. “I don’t have hobbies. I’m happiest at practice, I’m happiest in games. The coaches and players get fed up with me in the meetings, so we like to get out here. But, yeah, sure. I’m going to coach for as long as I can.”

But the 58-year-old also didn’t sound like a man who expects to stick around. After his post-practice press conference at Cal Lutheran, he thanked the ring of reporters in front of him, and said, “Our paths may cross again one of these days.”

Williams is four years removed from his Bountygate suspension, one that left him out of the league until Jeff Fisher — who was fired earlier this month — brought him back to the Rams in 2014. Whether or not that scandal affects his future employment prospects is uncertain.

He can certainly still coach. Under his charge, the Rams spent the first half of the 2016 season as one of the NFL’s most frightening defenses, ranking in or near the top five of several statistical categories. But the team has also slipped significantly in recent weeks, surrendering an average of 32.6 points in their last five games.

His players have nothing but praise.

“The best thing about him is, he doesn’t let you get comfortable,” said Aaron Donald, the first Rams defender to make three straight Pro Bowls since 1989. “No matter how much success you got, you make one little mistake, he’s going to jump on you and let you know. He always motivated me. I just love the way he let us play. He played to his players’ strengths, and let us go out there and fly around.”

That’s the type of response that has Williams eager to find another locker room.

“People say, ‘When will you know it’s time to stop doing this?’” he said. “It’s when they stop paying attention to me. … When they tune you out or they don’t listen to you, then maybe you better take a look at something else.

“I don’t have any problems of getting people to listen to me. I don’t have any problems with that. This is a good group, it’s a good profession. We’ll see. It’ll be an interesting offseason, but I’ve been through a bunch of those kinds before.”

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Would not even consider Asshole Face if it was two seconds. Hopefully we don't make a mistake like that, we can't afford to.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

What's the next crazy idea we RODsters will come up with, Chip Kelly for OC? ;)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...gm-trent-baalke-dismissed-san-francisco-49ers

Chip Kelly, GM Trent Baalke on way out in San Francisco, sources say
Adam Schefter/ESPN Senior Writer

The San Francisco 49ers are expected to make sweeping changes, dismissing both head coach Chip Kelly and general manager Trent Baalke, according to league sources.

Meetings are expected to occur as early as postgame Sunday -- San Francisco hosts the Seahawks at 4:25 p.m. ET -- and no later than Monday to determine the ultimate fates, sources said. Both Kelly and Baalke are said to know that their time in San Francisco is coming to an end.

The 49ers declined any comment.

Kelly has three years remaining on his contract, and the Eagles still owe him a small portion. Baalke has two years left on his deal, but both men have gotten signals that this could be the end. It shapes up as another dramatic shakeup for the 49ers, in which CEO Jed York and Executive Vice President Paraag Marathe will lead the search for replacements.

Kelly just finished his first season in San Francisco, which went 2-13 and finished last in the NFC West.

The Niners will become the first team since 1976-77 to fire coaches in back-to-back years after just one season at the helm. Coincidentally, the Niners were the last franchise to do it, firing Monte Clark and Ken Meyer after each had a single season on the job.

The Niners hired Kelly in January 2016 after firing Jim Tomsula, whom they hired in 2015 to replace Jim Harbaugh.

In nearly three full seasons with the Eagles, Kelly won 26 games. He was only the second coach in Niners history to come aboard with previous NFL head-coaching experience.

None of that mattered much, as Kelly's Niners flopped in 2016, dropping to the bottom of the league in a number of major categories and setting a franchise record with 13 consecutive losses. Along the way, the Niners became part of a national conversation when quarterback Colin Kaepernick opted to kneel during the national anthem to protest racial inequality in the United States.

Although he was criticized in Philadelphia for his interactions with some players, Kelly drew praise from the locker room for his support of Kaepernick's right to express himself.

Despite the struggles on the field, Kelly said as recently as this week that he was pleased with the group he had for his first season with the team.

"I look at, it's what you get to work with, and I'm actually grateful for this group of guys we get to work with because of their attitudes and how they've approached it every single day," Kelly said.

"So challenging is if maybe guys don't buy in or guys are doing things that are detrimental to the team, and that hasn't happened here at all. This has been a great group to work with."

Information from ESPN's Nick Wagoner was used in this report.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The curse of Jim Harbaugh. Since his firing the 49ers will have gone through two head coaches and one GM in two seasons and have a 7-24 record to show for it.

roflbot.jpg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...uyouts-create-unusual-issue-for-49ers-eagles/

Chip Kelly’s multiple buyouts create unusual issue for 49ers, Eagles
Posted by Mike Florio on December 31, 2016

629180298-e1483236376248.jpg
Getty Images

In 2015, the Eagles fired coach Chip Kelly with two years left on his contract. Only one year into a four-year deal with his current employer, the 49ers reportedly will be doing the same.

The end result — a 2017 season with multiple buyout obligations — creates an unusual situation for Philadelphia and San Francisco.

The 49ers likely would argue that Kelly should get whatever he was owed by the Eagles for 2017, and that any excess will be covered by his 49ers contract. The Eagles likely would argue that the 49ers contract supersedes the Eagles contract, and that as long as the 49ers are paying Kelly as much or more than he would have made with the Eagles, the Eagles owe Kelly nothing.

Ultimately, the two sides may end up submitting the issue to the league office for resolution. There likely won’t be much precedent, given that not many coaches get fired by one NFL team while they are still earning paychecks from another NFL team that fired him.

FRO

Legend
Kyle Shanahan would be a great fit in Denver. If he could fix the offense the team could be special.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Reports are Kubiak will step down due to health concerns.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/815532844218982400

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/01/if-kubiak-goes-whats-next-for-denver/

If Kubiak goes, what’s next for Denver?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2017

627666204-e1483282084972.jpg
Getty Images

The cat is out of the bag in Denver regarding the likely resignation of coach Gary Kubiak. If/when Kubiak resigns after only two years on the job, where will the franchise go from here?

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media already has pegged Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph as the leading candidate for the job, suggesting that the hire could come quickly.

Joseph, then the defensive backs coach in Cincinnati, interviewed for the Denver head-coaching job in 2015, before Kubiak was hired. Joseph has drawn rave reviews for his work in Miami this year.

Other candidates for the job two years ago have since become head coaches elsewhere, including former Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase (Dolphins), former Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio (Raiders), and former Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn (Falcons). Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin declined to interview with the Broncos during the last hiring cycle.

Some have already speculation that John Elway could be interested in bringing Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan to Denver, where his father once coached Elway to a pair of Super Bowl wins. Whether that would occur depends in part on the current status of the relationship between Elway and Mike Shanahan; some say it’s not great.

The Broncos seem to need offensive help, but with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ contract expiring, they may have real needs on each side of the ball.

However it plays out, the Super Bowl 50 champions could be in an unexpected state of disarray. Elway has done a great job with the team over the last six years, but as they prepare for the first offseason under Elway that won’t be preceded by a playoff berth, there’s plenty of work to be done.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...fluenced-by-reluctance-to-make-staff-changes/

Kubiak’s decision could be influenced by reluctance to make staff changes
Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2017

610386558-e1476132455443.jpg
Getty Images

The story of Sunday morning (which if you regularly read PFT was the story of Saturday morning) is that Broncos coach Gary Kubiak could be resigning after the meaningless Week 17 game against the Raiders.

The popular reasoning is that Kubiak would be calling it quits due to health reasons. But there could be something more to the decision.

If he stays, Kubiak likely will be expected to make some changes to his coaching staff. His loyalty to those staff members, who helped the team win a Super Bowl a year ago, could contribute to the decision to leave after only two years in Denver in lieu of firing assistant coaches.

The Broncos definitely want Kubiak to stay. But John Elway, who runs the football operations, surely is dismayed about the performance of the side of the ball in which Kubiak is an expert. While it could be fair to argue that some of the blame falls to Elway for failing to put together the kind of offensive line that Kubiak needs to get the most out of the unit, this year’s non-playoff team isn’t dramatically different from last year’s team.

Unless, of course, quarterback Peyton Manning deserves a lot more credit than he ever has gotten for his contributions to last year’s team. Dubbed “sub-optimal, near-replacement-level” quarterback by the team’s website as the franchise moved on from Manning and Brock Osweiler in March, there was nothing sub-optimal nor near-replacement-level about Manning’s brain and his leadership qualities.

His decisions helped the Broncos get to the Super Bowl (specifically, his decisions to check out of bad play calls in the divisional round), and his ability to hold teammates accountable and in turn to get the most out of them are things that the likes of Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch aren’t yet able to pull off — and may never be. Which could make Elway very inclined to pursue another older quarterback who brings to the table qualities that simply aren’t part of the package for a young quarterback.