Bills hire Rex Ryan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, they have pieces of an offense. They just don't have a quarterback.

Yeah Ram fans know that story all to well. IMO, they will still go with Manuel. He can run, but I would not be shocked if they traded for Cutler. Rex could think with Cutler a strong running game and a great defense would get him to post season again.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That explains that. I think he was a terrific fit for Atlanta. If that offense had a defense they could easily win their division.

Buffalo will have the best defense in the league next year. I'm just not so sure about their offense.

Arthur Blank is all about protocol and professionalism this could be the right fit for Todd Bowles, but I thought Blank would want a Head Coach with experience because they went that way with Mike Smith. Well, with the first hire the dominoes will begin to fall.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Stupid hire. They have arguably the best 4-3 in all of football, and they hire a coach whose base formation is 3-4? Remind me how Jerry Hughes did as a rush linebacker in Indy's 3-4 system? What about Mario Williams?

Rex runs variations that defense will be lights out under Ryan that's a given, he's very good at utilizing the talent the offense will be the issue.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He really doesnt want to kiss belichicks rings and wants to prove it

That's why I like Rex, he wants to put a boot right up Belicheats Ass! And please no foot fetish jokes.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Buffalo will have the best defense in the league next year. I'm just not so sure about their offense.

I think you meant the 2nd best right?

Cuz the Rams will be the best next year!!!

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Stupid hire. They have arguably the best 4-3 in all of football, and they hire a coach whose base formation is 3-4? Remind me how Jerry Hughes did as a rush linebacker in Indy's 3-4 system? What about Mario Williams?

Rex doesn't use only a 3-4. He has recently, but with Ravens he did both, incuding some 46 defense . . . but even Rex's 3-4 is not a two-gap 3-4, it's a one-gap 3-4 which is an attacking , not a reading type defense. Some 3-4 defenses are read then react, but not Ryan's/

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

His base may be 3-4 but Ryan is a good defensive mind that did use 4-3 packages as well as 46 defensive. I don't see a big personnel problem here. He can adjust based on what he is given.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im listening to the press conference now. Rex is actually pretty awesome. I see no reason forhim to not predict that they were close last year.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Im listening to the press conference now. Rex is actually pretty awesome. I see no reason forhim to not predict that they were close last year.

Except for that one giant elephant in the room that they have no QB. Orton retired again and Manuel is crap. Its kinda funny hes now coaching a team that is a mirrors image of his old team the Jets.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-rex-ryan-as-head-coach#news-article-comments

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday morning that the Buffalo Bills are expected to make Ryan their new coach, per sources involved in the situation. The Bills have offered, and Ryan is planning to accept.

In Buffalo, Ryan will lead an already dominant defense, with pass rushers that will mesh well with his style. However, questions at quarterback persist, which is what sank him during his tenure with the New York Jets.

NFL Media's Kimberly Jones reports that the proposed deal is for five years, who also adds Jets defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman is expected to join Ryan in the same position.

As one of the best minds in football, Ryan will mesh well with the personnel in Buffalo. The defensive line of Marcell Dareus, Mario Williams, Kyle Williamsand Jerry Hughes, is among the best in the NFL. And Buffalo's secondary is better than Ryan was working with the last few years in New York.

Ryan's former confidant and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine led to the Billsdefensive turnaround two years ago, so switching back from a 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme shouldn't be a problem in Western New York.

The biggest question for Ryan will now be the quarterback situation.

Ryan compiled a 46-50 record with the Jets. His team failures were mostly due to struggling quarterback play from young signal callers Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. Now he'll likely be saddled with another young, inconsistent and unproven quarterback in EJ Manuel.

Who Ryan brings in at offensive coordinator will be key to watch. Rapoport reported Saturday that Ryan wants to team up with former Bears coach -- and noted quarterback whisperer-Marc Trestman. Another name to watch is Niners offensive coordinator Greg Roman, per Rapoport.

Ryan's marriage with Buffalo seems odd, given what he's went through the last few years in New York.

However, there is no doubt the union will make the AFC East even more entertaining (if that's possible). Not only will Ryan face Bill Belichick's rings twice a year, he'll also have two grudge matches a season with the Jets.

Dude (Ryan) is an enormous blow hard.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Except for that one giant elephant in the room that they have no QB. Orton retired again and Manuel is crap. Its kinda funny hes now coaching a team that is a mirrors image of his old team the Jets.
I think they have a plan at QB. maybe he'll trade for Kaepernick or something considering Roman is now they're OC. I don't think Manuel is bad as people thinks he is though.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Dude (Ryan) is an enormous blow hard.
I don't know man his players love playing for him. also, you don't take your team to the AFC Championship two years in a row if you suck. I think they'll be ok.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/14/rex-ryan-the-bills-are-going-to-the-playoffs/

Rex Ryan: The Bills are going to the playoffs
Posted by Josh Alper on January 14, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptllyjlkntexmtk3n2vimmexmju1nzzkytu1mmi5mty4.jpeg
AP

In his last couple of years as Jets coach, Rex Ryan toned down his press conference performances quite a bit from the entertaining shows that they were in his first few years with the team.

Ryan’s lack of job security may have had a lot to do with that, but that’s not an issue any more. Ryan has plenty of job security in Buffalo and his press conference was a throwback to his first day on the job with the Jets in 2009.

Ryan opened by tapping the microphone and asking if it was on because “it’s getting ready to be on.” Ryan stopped short of guaranteeing the Super Bowl win he never delivered to the Jets, saying only that the team would pursue the Super Bowl with everything they had in the tank. He was willing to make another promise that probably sounded good to long-suffering Bills fans.

“It’s been 15 years since the Bills made the playoffs. Well get ready, we’re going,” Ryan said.

Ryan, who denied a report that he preferred the Falcons and 49ers jobs to the one in Buffalo, kept going from there. He said that the Bills would build a “bully” and see if other teams want to face them for 60 minutes, that the Bills would lead the league in defense and took a shot at former Buffalo coach Doug Marrone by saying that the team deserved a “loyal coach.”

There was some humility, most notably Ryan’s admission that he needs to do a better job developing a quarterback, but it was mostly a vintage Ryan performance. He invited other teams to put his comments up on their bulletin boards because the Bills would be backing all of them up.

It was definitely a win in the press conference for Ryan and the Bills. One thing we’ve learned over the last six years, though, is that a win at the press conference doesn’t mean nearly as much as a win on the field.

LOL what a bunch of hooey. It is the same rah rah bullshit he says everytime he gets a new job. He is a stooge that makes promises he cannot keep just to get fans fired up.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I don't know man his players love playing for him. also, you don't take your team to the AFC Championship two years in a row if you suck. I think they'll be ok.

He took over a pretty talented Jets team - especially on Defense.
And, where are they now? I get that's not all his fault, but he's the guy who cuts and keeps people.
I'm not saying he's horrible, just way over rated. A lot of players think that as well.

http://ihatelupica.blogspot.com/2012/11/nfl-players-survey-says-rex-ryan-most.html