Bills’ Eric Wood blames ESPN for lack of interest in Michael Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
- Where he lined up and where I saw him have most of his success are two different things altogether.
- His not playing special teams didn't give other teams a chance to see him playing special teams.

Finally, I never said anything about him not being able to play. I've questioned his potential fits on NFL team. Two different things altogether. Tebow can play. Was an outstanding college football player. But, he didn't fit what most teams wanted at the position for goodness sakes.

No CoachO. I don't have it out for this kid at all. I'm rooting for him to be successful as a Tiger fan. However, I don't believe that it's fair to blame NFL teams for not picking him up as if his potential fit has absolutely nothing to do with it. But, I don't like that he gets so much attention that it takes away from the other players who also had dreams crushed this weekend.
What does the amount of attention he gets have to do with your argument? Sounds like you are moving the goalposts.

You don't feel its fair to blame organizations because of a potential fit, but you also don't seem to want to acknowledge that its quite possibly not the REAL reason either.

IMO, this is a whole lot more to do with the whole "Tony Dungy Conspiracy Theory" of teams just not wanting the distraction. That Fisher was able to curtail it, and kept it from ever being an issue INSIDE RAMS PARK, seems to be more than others are capable of doing.

I think that we will see the dust settle on this, and at some point in the near future, there will be a teams(s) who will find the "need" to put them on their PS.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'm glad nobody is signing him. Can't wait until he's back on the practice squad.

I can see the headlines now..

Michael Sam uses Dove brand soap while showering with his new practice squad mates

Memphis Ram

Legend
What does the amount of attention he gets have to do with your argument? Sounds like you are moving the goalposts.

You don't feel its fair to blame organizations because of a potential fit, but you also don't seem to want to acknowledge that its quite possibly not the REAL reason either.

IMO, this is a whole lot more to do with the whole "Tony Dungy Conspiracy Theory" of teams just not wanting the distraction. That Fisher was able to curtail it, and kept it from ever being an issue INSIDE RAMS PARK, seems to be more than others are capable of doing.

I think that we will see the dust settle on this, and at some point in the near future, there will be a teams(s) who will find the "need" to put them on their PS.

CoachO,
Re-read my posts. I've not moved the goalpost at all. The amount of attention was merely a add on frustration following the points made.

And I've stated that the media circus could be an issue all along. Even when posters were telling me that since he supposedly proved with the Rams that it wouldn't be elsewhere. I've just been one of the few who has ALSO pointed out that his potential ON THE FIELD FIT could limit his chances, TOO. However, few, if any, seem to want to consider that aspect at all.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CoachO,
Re-read my posts. I've not moved the goalpost at all. The amount of attention was merely a add on.

And I've stated that the media circus could be an issue all along. Even when posters were telling me that since he supposedly proved with the Rams that it wouldn't be elsewhere. I've just been one of the few who has ALSO pointed out that his potential ON THE FIELD FIT could limit his chances, TOO.
ok,, got it!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No CoachO. I don't have it out for this kid at all. I'm rooting for him to be successful as a Tiger fan. However, I don't believe that it's fair to blame NFL teams for not picking him up as if his potential fit has absolutely nothing to do with it. That said, I don't like that he gets so much attention that it takes away from the other players who also had dreams crushed this weekend. He wasn't the only player waived and/or not claimed or added to another teams practice squad.

It's not just that he had his dreams crushed. The media - which he did everything he could to make it stop - just wouldn't leave him be, wouldn't let him be a football player like he wanted to be. The story that the ESPN woman wrote about him literally cost him a career in football.

Believe me, I feel bad for all of the other players that were cut and not picked up. But by all rights, Sam had proven that he should have made at least one team's practice squad. He had proven that he had a place in the league. But all thanks to ESPN - a so-called "sponsor of LGBT rights" - Sam's career was effectively ruined before it ever got off the ground. And I will never forgive them for it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It's not just that he had his dreams crushed. The media - which he did everything he could to make it stop - just wouldn't leave him be, wouldn't let him be a football player like he wanted to be. The story that the ESPN woman wrote about him literally cost him a career in football.

Believe me, I feel bad for all of the other players that were cut and not picked up. But by all rights, Sam had proven that he should have made at least one team's practice squad. He had proven that he had a place in the league. But all thanks to ESPN - a so-called "sponsor of LGBT rights" - Sam's career was effectively ruined before it ever got off the ground. And I will never forgive them for it.

Wouldn't the media attention be partially his fault? From what I understand, he's not the only player with his sexual preference. However, he is the only one that went to the media with it in the first place while trying to join the league. Even had something set up with Oprah before that was shot down.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Wouldn't the media attention be partially his fault? From what I understand, he's not the only player with his sexual preference. However, he is the only one that went to the media with it in the first place while trying to join the league. Even had something set up with Oprah before that was shot down.

The only reason he went to the media with it was because it was going to come out anyway. He wanted to do that on his own terms, and quite frankly, I don't blame him. As for Oprah, Sam was the one who told his agents and her to back off so that there wouldn't be any distractions while he competed for a spot on the team.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The only reason he went to the media with it was because it was going to come out anyway. He wanted to do that on his own terms, and quite frankly, I don't blame him. As for Oprah, Sam was the one who told his agents and her to back off so that there wouldn't be any distractions while he competed for a spot on the team.

Perhaps. But, he could have also advised the media that his private life was not anyone's business and that he's just a football player trying to make a team. Think he would have had as much attention then?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Perhaps. But, he could have also advised the media that his private life was not anyone's business and that he's just a football player trying to make a team. Think he would have had as much attention then?

With the amount of integrity that certain media sources have, it wouldn't have mattered how he put it or how many times he would have to reiterate it. The media never gave a shit about Sam the football player; they only cared about the fact that he had a boyfriend.

This is worse than Tebow's situation because even Tebow had a real chance.

Memphis Ram

Legend
With the amount of integrity that certain media sources have, it wouldn't have mattered how he put it or how many times he would have to reiterate it. The media never gave a crap about Sam the football player; they only cared about the fact that he had a boyfriend.

This is worse than Tebow's situation because even Tebow had a real chance.

And maybe Sam will, too. He's just been available one day so far.

gawain

UDFA
Name
Gawain
The message sent by the League and the teams is clear - "No matter what you do, how good and who you are, if you are gay and want to play in the NFL, you better make damn sure nobody knows it."

I honestly have no idea what more he could have done to earn a spot on SOME roster. There are teams with such pathetic defense and pass rush, that it's ridiculous how this guy can't make even their practice squads. It's completely baffling.

It has absolutely nothing to do with his football skills and pretending like it does is intellectually dishonest... he might not be a world beater, he might never be a pro-bowler, but he surely showed enough to deserve a roster spot SOMEWHERE!

The sad thing is that the "distraction" and media attention would have probably to a large extent disappeared once he made a team and sat at the sidelines as a backup for the whole season. What do you think they were going to report "Michael Sam didn't play again... again ...and again... and again". Any story wears off pretty quickly, especially one that's likely not to produce anything newsworthy in the span of the year. And even if he played every week, again, I doubt the storyline would stick for long. It is a story in the first place simply because it's a first and once the first game is over, I doubt there would have been anywhere near the interest that there was around the draft and around pre-season.

Well, now at least other gay players will know that being openly gay is not something that is accepted in this league. Some would straight forwardly state their homophobia, most would couch it in the mantle of "distraction". The bottom line is - if you want to do the right thing, you find a way, if you don't, you find excuses not to.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I get the guys point , but that the attention is for being openly gay is a "straw the breaks............" IMO cuz Manti Teo has a job,Riley Cooper has a job,Mike Vick has a job, Tebow and Sam don't so lump uber religious in with gay on things NFL teams don't want too much attention over
.In the end most actions aren't the result of a single component , deciding factors exist alongside less pervassive, Mike won't be an all pro for possibly ever , he's a mid level player whose ilk in that capacity won't overcome the expectation of his notoriety distracting the press is how it's playing out
It's a low down dirty fucking shame,I still don't KNOW Mike can play against ones but I KNOW he can dominate a backup tackle on effort and if he gets 10-15 lbs more muscle I believe he can be very servicable

rams2050

Starter
She deserves worse than that. Anyone who publishes a slanderous article on a person who has done no wrong to anyone and essentially destroys what should have been a promising career should be publicly slammed and humiliated.
And if anyone thinks that I'm being too harsh, I am both a writer and an honest person, and it disgusts me that that woman was allowed access into Rams Park and betrayed their trust like that.

Well, an article cannot be 'slanderous.' It can be 'libelous,' but only oral communications may be deemed 'slanderous.' And most publications carry libel insurance which also would cover their writers. So, while the article might have been considered 'libelous' in all honesty since Michael Sam is a 'public personage' it probably would not actually meet the standard required to be deemed 'libelous.'

Rambition

Rookie
The message sent by the League and the teams is clear - "No matter what you do, how good and who you are, if you are gay and want to play in the NFL, you better make damn sure nobody knows it."
the NFL's version of "don't ask, don't tell."

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Well, an article cannot be 'slanderous.' It can be 'libelous,' but only oral communications may be deemed 'slanderous.' And most publications carry libel insurance which also would cover their writers. So, while the article might have been considered 'libelous' in all honesty since Michael Sam is a 'public personage' it probably would not actually meet the standard required to be deemed 'libelous.'
Um, it was a televised report. Verbal. Perhaps you haven't seen or heard it?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I honestly have no idea what more he could have done to earn a spot on SOME roster. There are teams with such pathetic defense and pass rush, that it's ridiculous how this guy can't make even their practice squads. It's completely baffling.

It has absolutely nothing to do with his football skills and pretending like it does is intellectually dishonest... he might not be a world beater, he might never be a pro-bowler, but he surely showed enough to deserve a roster spot SOMEWHERE!

The sad thing is that the "distraction" and media attention would have probably to a large extent disappeared once he made a team and sat at the sidelines as a backup for the whole season. What do you think they were going to report "Michael Sam didn't play again... again ...and again... and again". Any story wears off pretty quickly, especially one that's likely not to produce anything newsworthy in the span of the year. And even if he played every week, again, I doubt the storyline would stick for long. It is a story in the first place simply because it's a first and once the first game is over, I doubt there would have been anywhere near the interest that there was around the draft and around pre-season.

Well, now at least other gay players will know that being openly gay is not something that is accepted in this league. Some would straight forwardly state their homophobia, most would couch it in the mantle of "distraction". The bottom line is - if you want to do the right thing, you find a way, if you don't, you find excuses not to.
I don't agree at all with your charges of intellectual dishonesty or homophobia. Some people simply don't think that he has enough to warrant a spot on a team. Keep in mind that a team has to put him on their 53 man squad if they take him. Your charges only work if he had, say, Hayes ability and still couldn't get a job. I think some people are letting their emotions cloud the issue. 31 other teams can only look at what he did and who he did it against in 4 preseason games.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
A team only had to put him on the 53 if they claimed him off of waivers. That ended Sunday at noon. After that, any team could sign him to their 53 OR their practice squads.

And there is just simply no way that with the number of completely crappy 4-3 teams out there that anyone is going to convince me that Michael Sam isn't substantially better than the people on the bottom of some of those rosters.

Lastly... about the weight... enough. The Rams asked Sam to drop 13 lbs so that he could attempt to play Special Teams. However, that was a long shot and it may have actually hurt his chances to make the team as much as helped him because while he was faster, he was lighter. So, the very notion that Michael Sam can't be back to the 270 he showed up to OTAs at or go up to 275 is patently ridiculous.

Btw, it's NEVER been about height and weight. For the Rams, this was all about football. For the rest of the league? I call bullfeathers...

Ramathon

ESPN does know how to beat a dead horse until it's not only dead & buried, but fossilized as well. But.....

How many teams have, by now, welcomed the HBO 'Hard Knocks' series into their training camp? They seem to have no problem with that distraction.