Bills’ Eric Wood blames ESPN for lack of interest in Michael Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Bills’ Eric Wood blames ESPN for lack of interest in Michael Sam
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 31, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
michaelsam2.jpg
AP
Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted in the NFL, was cut by the Rams on Saturday and passed over by all 31 other teams on waivers on Sunday, and so far he hasn’t even been able to land a spot on a practice squad. So are NFL teams avoiding Sam because he’s gay?

According to one NFL player, the answer to that question is yes — but not because teams are homophobic. Bills center Eric Wood says teams are avoiding Sam because they don’t want the ESPN hype that would come with having Sam, the only openly gay player in football, on the team. In response to a question from Ross Tucker about Sam’s lack of practice squad offers, Wood said ESPN is to blame.

Last week ESPN apologized for a report that quoted an unnamed Rams player as saying that Sam hadn’t showered with teammates in training camp. But even aside from that report, Wood’s view is the most sensible explanation for why Sam remains out of work: NFL teams just don’t like seeing one player singled out for any reason other than his play on the field.

Although there were some questions before this year’s draft about whether Sam would be a good fit in any NFL defense, Sam played well enough in the Rams’ scheme during his four preseason games that it’s surprising the Rams haven’t added him to their practice squad. It’s even more surprising that no other team has picked Sam up. It would be nice if some team had the guts to give Sam the chance he deserves, but Wood may be right that Sam is paying the price for teams being scared of distractions.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I actually fully agree. That bitch who wrote that shower story essentially destroyed Sam's career before it could ever get off the ground.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
they don’t want the ESPN hype that would come with having Sam

I doubt this keeps teams from adding talent to help them.

However... I agree. The coverage has been sickening and I can see why some teams might conclude it's not worth the hassle.

I think MSam was wise from the get-go... He kept interviews focused on football AS BEST HE COULD. Shame on the self serving media.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
if Goodell actually wanted to do some good and make up for being a dick he would ban ESPN from harassing Sam and any would be team he's on or trying out for in the future. if there's a future...

Memphis Ram

Legend
Although there were some questions before this year’s draft about whether Sam would be a good fit in any NFL defense, Sam played well enough in the Rams’ scheme during his four preseason games that it’s surprising the Rams haven’t added him to their practice squad. It’s even more surprising that no other team has picked Sam up. It would be nice if some team had the guts to give Sam the chance he deserves, but Wood may be right that Sam is paying the price for teams being scared of distractions.

Could be true for some, but the part in bold above always seems to get glossed over for some reason.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I sure hope he finds a home he actually surprised me with his play and commitment even with the distractions. As a football player alone he has some value it seems.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
It is not over yet. I think the rosters for week 1 are not final until 12:01 am Tuesday.

V3

Hall of Fame
Could be true for some, but the part in bold above always seems to get glossed over for some reason.
It gets glossed over because he proved in the preseason that it's not true anymore. He can play for someone in this league and help them. He may not fit all defenses but he could fit somewhere.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It gets glossed over because he proved in the preseason that it's not true anymore. He can play for someone in this league and help them. He may not fit all defenses but he could fit somewhere.

But, even if one agreed, couldn't the same be said about quite a few unemployed players?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
So, what are you saying, Memphis? Sam only played kinda good at LE for the Rams and ONLY in the Rams scheme which is unique in the NFL and his skills don't translate to any other scheme which is why Michael Sam has no place in the NFL?

If not, then what?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I honestly hope her "journalism" career tanks.

She deserves worse than that. Anyone who publishes a slanderous article on a person who has done no wrong to anyone and essentially destroys what should have been a promising career should be publicly slammed and humiliated.

And if anyone thinks that I'm being too harsh, I am both a writer and an honest person, and it disgusts me that that woman was allowed access into Rams Park and betrayed their trust like that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He would be better at football if he wasn't gay. :cautious:

the media and in particular ESPN does have to shoulder part of the blame here

Memphis Ram

Legend
So, what are you saying, Memphis? Sam only played kinda good at LE for the Rams and ONLY in the Rams scheme which is unique in the NFL and his skills don't translate to any other scheme which is why Michael Sam has no place in the NFL?

If not, then what?

Same thing I've said all along. He's a 6'2" 260 lbs, one dimensional LDE who has to line up wide to have success and doesn't or didn't show enough athleticism to play OLB when almost half the teams in the league play a 3-4 defense. And he apparently didn't show enough athleticism to be much of a factor on special teams. And I know what Fisher said about DLinemen on special teams, but the athletic Eugene Sims plays special teams.

Contrary to what may be popular belief, there aren't many, IF ANY, LDEs that size in the NFL.
And not all 4-3 teams like to line their LDEs out in the Wide 9 look. RDEs? Sure. LDEs? No.

So while there may be a place for him somewhere, his opportunities were ALREADY limited despite his sexual preferences and the media circus whom many here told me was supposedly proven not to exist. It's unfair to blame all these NFL teams if he doesn't fit what they want to do on the field.

Finally, Is it not also possible that we've overrated this kid like some of the other players waived, none of whom have been claimed or added to any other teams practice squads, thus far? No one has bothered to complain about them.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
She deserves worse than that. Anyone who publishes a slanderous article on a person who has done no wrong to anyone and essentially destroys what should have been a promising career should be publicly slammed and humiliated.

And if anyone thinks that I'm being too harsh, I am both a writer and an honest person, and it disgusts me that that woman was allowed access into Rams Park and betrayed their trust like that.

she should have been terminated and I think that she lied about her sourcesof course I have no way to prove that its just a gut feeling

Philly5

Rookie
I agree with the player. No fault of Sam, but the media distraction is not worth the talent added. He would have been better off picking his spot as an UDFA, where his talent indicated he belonged. Undersized, non athletic DE with a good motor.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
And I know what Fisher said about DLinemen on special teams, but the athletic Eugene Sims plays special teams.

Contrary to what may be popular belief, there aren't many, IF ANY, LDEs that size in the NFL.
And not all 4-3 teams like to line their LDEs out in the Wide 9 look. RDEs? Sure. LDEs? No.

Since one DLineman on this roster in the past 4 years has played special teams, then because Michale Sam cannot he mustn't be good enough?

And enough with the Wide 9 already. He lined up plenty in a 7 or 5 technique. You keep harping on that like its the only set he ever lined up on. Go back and watch the New Orleans game. He was lined up in a 5 tech inside shoulder of the TE, and beats both the T and TE off the ball, and makes a play IN THE BACKFIELD.

If you are gonna use this argument regarding Sam, then what does it say for C. Long, who routinely lines up in the same wide 9 tech?

You seem to have it out for this kid from that start, and you keep couching it like you have him all figured out, all based off his combine numbers, his ht and wt. Yet, have you ever actually watched him make plays? I guess he does that with smoke and mirrors. He had double digit sacks in the SEC, 19.5 TFL in the same season, but he can't play.

I really thought you were better than that!

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
There are other factors, but the media circus is the biggest by a stretch. Coaches don't wanna answer questions about Sam constantly. It's uncomfortable, has almost nothing to do with the big picture of any team, and any slip up is headline news. I don't blame other teams at all, but Fisher is brilliant with untraditional players with issues outside of football.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Since one DLineman on this roster in the past 4 years has played special teams, then because Michale Sam cannot he mustn't be good enough?

And enough with the Wide 9 already. He lined up plenty in a 7 or 5 technique. You keep harping on that like its the only set he lever lined up on. Go back and watch the New Orleans game. He was lined up in a 5 tech inside shoulder of the TE, and beats both the T and TE off the ball, and makes a play IN THE BACKFIELD.

If you are gonna use this argument regarding Sam, then what does it say for C. Long, who routinely lines up in the same wide 9 tech?

You seem to have it out for this kid from that start, and you keep couching it like you have him all figured out, all based off his combine numbers, his ht and wt. Yet, have you ever actually watched him make plays? I guess he does that with smoke and mirrors. He had double digit sacks in the SEC, 19.5 TFL in the same season, but he can't play.

I really thought you were better than that!

- As previously stated, where he lined up and where I saw him have most of his success are two different things altogether.
- His not playing special teams didn't give other teams a chance to see him playing special teams. That was the only point being made there.

Finally, I never said anything about him not being able to play. Not one time. I've questioned his potential fits/opportunities in the NFL. See. Two different things altogether. Tebow can play. Was an outstanding college football player. But, he didn't fit what most teams wanted at the position either or media or not, he'd still be in the league for goodness sakes.

No CoachO. I don't have it out for this kid at all. I'm rooting for him to be successful as a Tiger fan. However, I don't believe that it's fair to blame NFL teams for not picking him up as if his potential fit has absolutely nothing to do with it. That said, I don't like that he gets so much attention that it takes away from the other players who also had dreams crushed this weekend. He wasn't the only player waived and/or not claimed or added to another teams practice squad.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm glad nobody is signing him. Can't wait until he's back on the practice squad.