Big Whit appreciation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Has an OL ever retired to become an OL-coach the very next season?

Can not think of one. Maybe back in the ‘50s, 60’s or even the 70’s.

Thought of Mike Munchak of the Oilers/Titans. Great player and team-leader who went on to coach for that team.

From what I read, Munchak joined the coaching staff the year after he retired but as a low-level-coach. He did become the O-Line coach but that was four years later.

Yeah, Munchack's official title for that year after retiring was offensive assistant/quality control.

Art Shell retired from the Raiders in 1982 and coached their OL the very next season.

Forrest Gregg retired from the Cowboys in 1971 and went on to coach the Chargers OL in 1972. But I'm thinking you were referring to coaching on the same team that they retired from.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, Munchack's official title for that year after retiring was offensive assistant/quality control.

Art Shell retired from the Raiders in 1982 and coached their OL the very next season.

Forrest Gregg retired from the Cowboys in 1971 and went on to coach the Chargers OL in 1972. But I'm thinking you were referring to coaching on the same team that they retired from.

Those are quality O linemen right there.

The difference is that Big Whit is pulling down many millions and won't need to work.

I can guarantee you that Forrest Gregg needed a job after he was done and Art Shell did, too. Those guys made money, but sports money wasn't that much. Heck, when Gregg was playing, most players had jobs in the off-season. Same when Shell started.

I dunno when the outside jobs stopped, but it had to be in the late 70s or early 80s, I would think.

That said, I would LOVE for Big Whit to come back when he's done playing and study under Kromer.

Ram65

Legend
I thought and stated that Whit had a SB hangover. I expected him to come out and bounce back this season for this season. I hope he can keep it going all season long. I don't think he is done after this year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm thinking you were referring to coaching on the same team that they retired from.
Good job.

I was just trying to think of an example ... any example ... because I thought that what Oldnotdead was proposing was unrealistic.

Not surprised that there was an example from 50 years ago in HOF Forrest Gregg. As I had posted it may have occurred back-in-the-day. I think Norm Van Brocklin May have even been named the Vikings’ Head Coach the year after he retired. However, that was 60 years ago.

Even though it was almost 40 years ago, the Art Shell example was dead on. However, I will stick with the opinion that it’s not realistic to hope for Whitworth to be the Rams’ OL Coach next year.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Didn't Waterfield coach the Rams one year? I think he did
train
Yep ,he coached kickers 1st then Qb and then became head coach..

Like Allen posted, things done in the Early years way way different.

Plus like posted ,Munchak is a great example of how things work nowadays.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
A little off topic, but did anybody pay attention to the Philly game analyst who was pointing out the "tells" with out OL? Are those just part of "the way it's done," or are they something he was saying the Rams aren't aware of?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I saw it.

He was pointing out the differences between this year and last year.

Last year, we had these obvious tells.

He was saying that this year, if you look at the All 22, you can see that they've eliminated all those tells and have made it much harder for DLs to quickly key on any misdirection.

Was a really good point and underscores the makeover this offense has undergone.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Good job.

I was just trying to think of an example ... any example ... because I thought that what Oldnotdead was proposing was unrealistic.

Not surprised that there was an example from 50 years ago in HOF Forrest Gregg. As I had posted it may have occurred back-in-the-day. I think Norm Van Brocklin May have even been named the Vikings’ Head Coach the year after he retired. However, that was 60 years ago.

Even though it was almost 40 years ago, the Art Shell example was dead on. However, I will stick with the opinion that it’s not realistic to hope for Whitworth to be the Rams’ OL Coach next year.

Thanks. Just to correct things, I just came across some info (football reference) that Art Shell and Sam Boghosian were both coaching the OL for the Raiders for the next 5 years after Shell retired as a player. Bogs was the long time guy there so I'm assuming Shell was an assistant. At any rate, they're both listed as their OL coaches. So I'm retracting the info that he went straight from retirement to being the OL coach. Just wanted to clarify before anyone loses a bet down the road!

On Whit continuing in that aspect, it depends where the Rams will be with Kromer. Maybe they take him in as assistant, but like someone else said Whit's got the millions, plus a family that he may want to spend more time with and he'd most likely consult with them when the time comes.