Big Rob getting the start at RT?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
This is one thing Ive been looking for leading up to the game. Are the rams gonna start Saffold at RT with the same lineup they have had all preaseason or are they gonna put Rob back in there? If they do does Saffold go to reserve or is he gonna replace someone else in the lineup at guard? anyone heard anything?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The unofficial depth chart has Saffold at RT with Big Rob backing him up.

Although its unofficial, given his lack of preseason playing time and the late stage at which he started practising, it seems logical that he wouldn't be starting just yet.

As to what happens to Saffold when Hav is considered good to go, I have no idea.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is one thing Ive been looking for leading up to the game. Are the rams gonna start Saffold at RT with the same lineup they have had all preaseason or are they gonna put Rob back in there? If they do does Saffold go to reserve or is he gonna replace someone else in the lineup at guard? anyone heard anything?
I been thinking the same thing this morning along with who we will see listed on Thursdays Rams injury report....will Fisher & Boudreau start Havenstein or go with the OL'er veteran Rodger Saffold who has been there since OTA's?

Big Rob has just one series of live game action in 2016 thus far that was in the final pre season game last Saturday. If RH starts then will they move Saffold into one of the OG posts? Thus sending one of the starting OG's to the bench ? Both these OG's Cody Wichmann & Jamon Brown have been healthy through-out TC & pre season & have put in solid performance with Cody fairing a bit better. So there is no need to rush Saffold into either of these starting OG posts.

This current Ram nine OL cadre should be very healthy since all the injured have been weeded out sending OL'ers Garrett Reynolds & Darrell Williams to the IR & Isaiah Battle was moved down to the Practice Squad.

Robinson-Wichmann-Barnes-Brown-Saffold has been the starting OL since TC & thru pre season should they make a change that would affect 2/5ths of the starting OL? Would you run this OL as its been to get through the first regular season game then re-evaluate early week 2 on Rob's readiness?

If it were me I would run with what the Rams have been doing since pre season began with the same starters. After Monday nights game I would readdress this question.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I hope so. Get the best 5 out there:

Greg, Rog, Timmy, Jamon, Rob

And even if he can't, like others have said, if not Rog @ RT with Cody @ LG (who now has experience) that's also a good thing.

Finally have a good OL. Now please stay healthy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My thoughts are that The Rams tested GRob because if head & to give Saffold some reps at LT ?

Now that Big Rob Havenstien is back I'm guessing Saffold goes to LG. Brown was the starter there last year & they swithes. From watching Saffold playing RT against Von Miller ,he
Might be better on the Left side of the ball. Looked good at LT last Thursday.Wichmann was a back up last year.

-- This will be the first time The Rams have had there main 5 O'Lineman together since early last season.

This is going to be a very improved offensive line . This offense is going to take off on Monday night. Case Keenum is making very quick & solid reads. Gurley is fully healthy, & Tavon Austin is fully focused & taking a leadership role.
The Rams have a lot of options at WR, so there will be a if different sets. The Rams playbook will really open up. I think the drive killing pentaltues will stop .--Barnes & Harkey will open up some nice holes. It's going to be fun. Watching Gurley practice he takes everything to the house.He is a real special RB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I been thinking the same thing this morning along with who we will see listed on Thursdays Rams injury report....will Fisher & Boudreau start Havenstein or go with the OL'er veteran Rodger Saffold who has been there since OTA's?

Big Rob has just one series of live game action in 2016 thus far that was in the final pre season game last Saturday. If RH starts then will they move Saffold into one of the OG posts? Thus sending one of the starting OG's to the bench ? Both these OG's Cody Wichmann & Jamon Brown have been healthy through-out TC & pre season & have put in solid performance with Cody fairing a bit better. So there is no need to rush Saffold into either of these starting OG posts.

This current Ram nine OL cadre should be very healthy since all the injured have been weeded out sending OL'ers Garrett Reynolds & Darrell Williams to the IR & Isaiah Battle was moved down to the Practice Squad.

Robinson-Wichmann-Barnes-Brown-Saffold has been the starting OL since TC & thru pre season should they make a change that would affect 2/5ths of the starting OL? Would you run this OL as its been to get through the first regular season game then re-evaluate early week 2 on Rob's readiness?

If it were me I would run with what the Rams have been doing since pre season began with the same starters. After Monday nights game I would readdress this question.

I really don't think that is going to happen. Saffold will be placed at guard.There is no way he is not starting. Rob Havenstein is ready to go & is a plug in. He had one day of practice & started on Thursday. He says he is ready to go, but just needs to keep getting game reps. He is destined to be a All/ Pro. Brown was the starter last year & can't see him not starting . I'm sure they keep him at RG. GRob is playing very well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really don't think that is going to happen. Saffold will be placed at guard.There is no way he is not starting. Rob Havenstein is ready to go & is a plug in. He had one day of practice & started on Thursday. He says he is ready to go, but just needs to keep getting game reps. He is destined to be a All/ Pro. Brown was the starter last year & can't see him not starting . I'm sure they keep him at RG. GRob is playing very well.

Your right Saffold did look real good @ OLT in place of GRob. In fact other than his several brain farts in pass protection going up against the best edge pass rusher in the NFL Saffold has looked like an all pro right OT thus far. As you said Saffold is a natural left side OL'er. But boy he has looked outstanding @ Right OT too. I agree with you that Rob Havenstein will get a lot of pro bowl votes in his future. Just think Rob won the ORT rookie award while dealing with two different nagging lower leg injuries last season. Whats the rush to get Rob in this week?

I was under the impression our current starting OL has looked the best since Fisher arrived. So your suggesting that the Rams make a change to their starting OL at the beginning of the first game of the regular season?

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I say we throw Havenstein out there! There's really no way he's gonna be able to come back from injury without reps. And you can't get enough of those in practice.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Havenstein starts....Wichman goes to the bench....Brown needs to up his game....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
HStein is the best RT on this roster. It's not even a question IMO, if he is healthy he will start. Only way he doesn't start is if he's not fully back yet from the injury.

Dude is a stud and I expect the guy to be a Pro Bowl RT this year provided he can stay healthy. And looking at his history he is very durable, so I have zero concerns there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So you fellow members are suggesting the benching of our best playing OG Cody Wichmann? or benching Saffold?

You want to start two OL'ers into starting posts that neither have spent much time playing this year?:thinking:

Your new suggested OL will be different from the starting unit that has been together since spring.:whistle: Has Saffold trained or practice at any OG post this season?

Can you let me know why starting Havenstein @ OT who missed all of the OTA's. .... all of training camp .....all but one series of pre season is a good move at this point in time?

Why did the Rams OL'er go through all OTA's, TC & pre season for anyway? If you can just show up a week or so before regular season & wing it?

Saffold is good real good but even real good versatile OL'ers need to have consistent repetition to play good. Is it fair to Saffold to work him @ both OT posts in OTA's, TC & pre season where he has remained fully healthy for the first time since his rookie season back in 2010..and now shift him into another OL post? Saffold has a little injury history where when he is moved around from post to post he ends up injured. I not saying this post changes cause it, but never the less its in his past.........We do not need a Saffold injury to this OL this early.

Do we really gain anything with an insertion of Saffold back into the interior OL in place of Wichmann this week? looks like the odd member out here again...I would wait another week myself & go with the same starters as we have since TC. See just how effective it runs then after using the 9ers game if changes are needed make them if not run it as is until changes are mandated.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Your right Saffold did look real good @ OLT in place of GRob. In fact other than his several brain farts in pass protection going up against the best edge pass rusher in the NFL Saffold has looked like an all pro right OT thus far. As you said Saffold is a natural left side OL'er. But boy he has looked outstanding @ Right OT too. I agree with you that Rob Havenstein will get a lot of pro bowl votes in his future. Just think Rob won the ORT rookie award while dealing with two different nagging lower leg injuries last season. Whats the rush to get Rob in this week?

I was under the impression our current starting OL has looked the best since Fisher arrived. So your suggesting that the Rams make a change to their starting OL at the beginning of the first game of the regular season?

I say it is preseason & the best offensive line was the one that started together game 1 last season against Seattle.Why Fisher moved Jamon Brown from RG to LG right before game one confussed me.

I understand wanting to sit Big Rob, but he wants to play. As long as the medical staff says it's ok,I'm aboard.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If he's physically ready, get him out there asap.

RamWoodie

Legend
They KNOW the value of Hav. They won't risk losing him to further injury if he's not ready.

My feeling is he likely starts OR at a minimum comes in on rotations.

A55VA6

Legend
My guess is this is how it works out.. pending other injuries.

Starting OL week 1:
Robinson, Wichmann, Barnes, Brown, Saffold

Starting OL week 2 (Assuming Havenstein is ready):
Robinson, Saffold, Barnes, Brown, Havenstein.

^ That is our best 5, imo.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Starting OL week 1:

You mean Hav might need a week of reps and letting his body continue to get right before he starts the following week... you're making sense there... STOP MAKING SENSE!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've said it before, I'll say it again, I would send Saffold to either OG position and have Wichmann warm the bench! JMO

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Havenstein starts....Wichman goes to the bench....Brown needs to up his game....

This^, Brown very good run blocker, but struggles with pass protection, Wichmann is very good in pass protection and I felt really ran block well during preseason. Come Jamon, the time is now!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg

Starting OL week 1:

This is exactly what I'm thinking.