Big, big changes are coming, no doubt...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
C'mon, Frantik...

Surely you don't sincerely believe that, do you?

There is a helluva lot of difference between a player that was merely on the roster last year and a starting player at the same position at which he started last year.

A light year's worth of unproven difference.

Our first 6 games are gonna be verrrrry tricky.

So explain this reply for me please ?

If I'm any team playing The Rams this coming up season , I'd be VERRRRRY
Worried !!! Tricky in which way ??? Who do The Rams play the FIRST 6 Games ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I see maybe 4 new starters on offense

Whitworth
Woods
Center
TE

Tavon is going to start... They just gave him a contract they probably asked Mcvay how he going to use... There's going to be change but not like people think

Agreed ! That is not that big of a change for an off season. 2 solid veterans maybe 3, & a 2nd year guy that was actually a starter at times.

Last year The Rams spent how many picks for trading up to get a rookie QB ?
They lost Cook & Reynolds from the season before.

The year before The Rams Sam Bradford(Hill) There real starting center who they paid way to much for. Bailey,Tre, & whatever mess was there ??
The changes are not all that big(many) at all.
The Rams lost Dumb & Dumber is all at WR. They both signed nice contracts.The comp is not that great of loss. --McVay & The Rams did makes some excellent signings.

Dunbar for Bennie
Woods for Kenny
Case signed with Vikings
??? For Barnes
Whitworth for loss of depth
Practice squad for Quick
Practice squad for Lance Kendrick
--then the draft ???
--- Webster for TJ
--- Barwin for Hayes

-Bennie -Bears ,
Quick- Skins, Kenny - Browns ,Hayes,TJ -Miami

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see maybe 4 new starters on offense

Whitworth
Woods
Center
TE

Tavon is going to start... They just gave him a contract they probably asked Mcvay how he going to use... There's going to be change but not like people think

Let's see, 21.

Besides the 4 you've mentioned, I'll add the following starting positions that are up in the air:

RG. Could be Brown, Hav, or GRob.
RT. Could be GRob, according to McVay, himself.
WR. I could see another drafted WR as starter. Woods is on one side, but it wouldn't take much to beat out Tavon at either slot or the other outside position. In fact, I would almost bet on it. If Tavon is our starting WR, our O is in deep doo doo.

McVay can coachspeak about Tavon until the cows come home. But the fact remains that Tavon is a poor WR and would be very upgradable this offseason either via draft or by a WR already on the roster.

And that assumes that Saffold will be LG. No sure thing. Some think he plays best at RG. But even if Saffold stays at LG, that's still a total of 7 new starters vs their respective '16 positions on O, alone.

And don't get me started on D personnel position changes for this year. Technically, only TruJo remains in the same exact position as a starter. All 10 other starters either get shuffled around or get replaced. And that's only IF TruJo isn't traded predraft.

Man, altogether, that's a helluva lot of change. Anyway one slices it.

I rest my case.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
So explain this reply for me please ?

If I'm any team playing The Rams this coming up season , I'd be VERRRRRY
Worried !!! Tricky in which way ??? Who do The Rams play the FIRST 6 Games ?

Do I really have to spell out "tricky" for you, So Ram?

Seven new starters at seven positions on O? Plus a QB starting his 8th game on opening day? AND a RB coming off of a dismal second season?

Ten players on D starting in different positions than in '16, or outright replacements for the starters last year?

That's a TON of new variables for the new coaching staff to juggle.

If that ain't gonna be tricky, I don't know what is. Lol.

lockdnram21

Legend
Let's see, 21.

Besides the 4 you've mentioned, I'll add the following starting positions that are up in the air:

WR. I could see another drafted WR as starter. Woods is on one side, but it wouldn't take much to beat out Tavon at either slot or the other outside position. In fact, I would almost bet on it. If Tavon is our starting WR, our O is in deep doo doo.

McVay can coachspeak about Tavon until the cows come home. But the fact remains that Tavon is a poor WR and would be very upgradable this offseason either via draft or by a WR already on the roster.

And that assumes that Saffold will be LG. No sure thing. Some think he plays best at RG. But even if Saffold stays at LG, that's still a total of 7 new starters vs their respective '16 positions on O, alone.

And don't get me started on D personnel position changes for this year. Technically, only TruJo remains in the same exact position as a starter. All 10 other starters either get shuffled around or get replaced. And that's only IF TruJo isn't traded predraft.

I rest my case.
Hav, Robinson, and Safold have all started for us technically they are not new starters... I would be very shocked if Tavon isn't a starter. Just don't see it.... I see 4 new on offense.... I actually see more on defense then offense... U might not like Tavon but I think the Rams want hi. To be a big part of O

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I rest my case.

That's kind of cheating the system a bit. They're playing the same role. The position is just labeled differently. But it's semantics in the end.

Let's see, 21.

We'll see on Tavon. McVay hasn't done anything to indicate that he doesn't like Tavon.

There will be change. But I think you're being a bit hyperbolic.

lockdnram21

Legend
That's kind of cheating the system a bit. They're playing the same role. The position is just labeled differently. But it's semantics in the end.

We'll see on Tavon. McVay hasn't done anything to indicate that he doesn't like Tavon.

^^^ this..... They brought Mcvay in to try and get the best out of this offense...
Especiall Goff, Tavon, and Gurley even though I'm skeptical about our run game under Mcvay

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not too worried about our run game under McVay. Aaron Kromer is quite good at getting his OLs to run block effectively and has a blocking scheme that fits Gurley's game well, and Matt LaFleur came up under the Shanahan's (and we all know their reputation).

Plus, I don't think it'll be difficult for our running game to experience success if the blocking is there. Even if we accept that Gurley's vision is average (I don't), if the OL opens holes, we know what Gurley can do with daylight.

It's not like he has to scheme for a UDFA like Rob Kelley. He has a HB who was recently a top 10 pick, OROY, a second-team All Pro, and a Pro Bowler. If the blocking is there, I think Gurley will make it work, and it will be quite easy for McVay.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not too worried about our run game under McVay. Aaron Kromer is quite good at getting his OLs to run block effectively and has a blocking scheme that fits Gurley's game well, and Matt LaFleur came up under the Shanahan's (and we all know their reputation).

Plus, I don't think it'll be difficult for our running game to experience success if the blocking is there. Even if we accept that Gurley's vision is average (I don't), if the OL opens holes, we know what Gurley can do with daylight.

It's not like he has to scheme for a UDFA like Rob Kelley. He has a HB who was recently a top 10 pick, OROY, a second-team All Pro, and a Pro Bowler. If the blocking is there, I think Gurley will make it work, and it will be quite easy for McVay.

I'm excited about Dunbar . He has a lot to prove. Signing a one year deal means he believes in himself. He has real good speed & can get across the field fast.

McVay is going to get Tavon Austin the ball as well. The Rams have a lot of Offensive talent.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Yeah, we'll see on Tavon, jrry32. One way or the other.

Perhaps McVay and his staff can resurrect Tavon's career. And surely we can agree that McVay is duty bound to talk up his existing roster players? To do otherwise would be toxic. So we can take McVay's coachspeak about both Tavon and GRob with the appropriate grain of salt, can't we?

I sincerely hope they do "fix" Tavon. If any staff can, this one can.

But I'll have to see it to believe it. My prediction is that Tavon disappoints for a 5th year as a WR weapon and is traded or cut next offseason. Hell, I strongly suspect that he would not even be on this '17 roster but for that insane contract extension that Fisher gave him, making him uncuttable this year. But I digress...

When one examines his stat track record, one can easily see where a WR taken high from this draft could beat him out as a starter. Possibly even another WR already on our roster might blossom under the guidance of these new coaches. I believe that Tavon is that flawed as a WR.

So, to call that impression of Tavon by me as hyperbole is...

Ummmmm...

Hyperbolic? Lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, we'll see on Tavon, jrry32. One way or the other.

Perhaps McVay and his staff can resurrect Tavon's career. And surely we can agree that McVay is duty bound to talk up his existing roster players? To do otherwise would be toxic. So we can take McVay's coachspeak about both Tavon and GRob with the appropriate grain of salt, can't we?

I sincerely hope they do "fix" Tavon. If any staff can, this one can.

But I'll have to see it to believe it. My prediction is that Tavon disappoints for a 5th year as a WR weapon and is traded or cut next offseason. Hell, I strongly suspect that he would not even be on this '17 roster but for that insane contract extension that Fisher gave him, making him uncuttable this year. But I digress...

When one examines his stat track record, one can easily see where a WR taken high from this draft could beat him out as a starter. Possibly even another WR already on our roster might blossom under the guidance of these new coaches. I believe that Tavon is that flawed as a WR.

So, to call that impression of Tavon by me as hyperbole is...

Ummmmm...

Hyperbolic? Lol.

I'm calling your comments on how many new starters and the expansion team comment hyperbolic.

McVay isn't duty bound to do anything. Nobody forces him to mention players. Regardless, actions speak louder than words to me. McVay could have gone out and signed another WR in FA if he wanted to replace Austin. Thus far, he hasn't done much at the WR position.

I'll be surprised if he's here after 2017 as well. That contract means he'll have to shit or get off the pot.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm calling your comments on how many new starters and the expansion team comment hyperbolic.

McVay isn't duty bound to do anything. Nobody forces him to mention players. Regardless, actions speak louder than words to me. McVay could have gone out and signed another WR in FA if he wanted to replace Austin. Thus far, he hasn't done much at the WR position.

I'll be surprised if he's here after 2017 as well. That contract means he'll have to crap or get off the pot.

Well, jrry32, first, I want to send you a little love. You are one of the posters I most respect as I browse through 4 Ram sites daily.

Having said that, on this particular topic we just seem to disagree. Which is fine.

Not gonna waste your time and mine by itemizing all the new projected '17 starters vs the '16 starters by position. I think I've already made my case there. I stand by my 7 on O and up to 10 on D as I outlined earlier in this thread.

As to McVay having only spoken highly of Tavon? What else is he gonna do as a new HC and given that the team is stuck with Tavon's contract this year? He's gonna try to make chicken salad out of Tavon's chicken "stuff". Signing another WR via FA would have been easier said than done earlier in FA. For one thing, Tavon's damned contract is eating up $10.5 million of the needed cap dollars. For another thing, TruJo's contract is eating up another $4-5 million more than he's worth.

Let me ask you a semi hypothetical question. What if Cooper Kupp is our pick? Is Tavon still a starter over Woods and Kupp? You've already made a tremendous case for Kupp in a draft thread. I could see Cooper/Spruce in the slot over Tavon in that scenario, too. I'm not at all sure that Tavon plays ahead of that hypothetical WR lineup. All 4 of them have better hands and football smarts, if you ask me.

You seem to agree that this is a one year prove it situation for Tavon. You said yourself that he needs to crap or get off the pot THIS year. That doesn't sound like a player that's a sure fire lock to start this year to me.

Good discussion, man.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me ask you a semi hypothetical question. What if Cooper Kupp is our pick? Is Tavon still a starter over Woods and Kupp? You've already made a tremendous case for Kupp in a draft thread. I could see Cooper/Spruce in the slot over Tavon in that scenario, too. I'm not at all sure that Tavon plays ahead of that hypothetical WR lineup. All 4 of them have better hands and football smarts, if you ask me.

You seem to agree that this is a one year prove it situation for Tavon. You said yourself that he needs to crap or get off the pot THIS year. That doesn't sound like a player that's a sure fire lock to start this year to me.

Good discussion, man.

If Kupp is the pick, I expect we'll see Tavon, Kupp, and Woods in three WR sets unless somebody else beats out Tavon for the job.

I don't know what McVay's plans are for Tavon, but I have trouble seeing him as a slot WR in this scheme. That's just my opinion.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
There is a highlight of Whitworth I've seen multiple times. He's running down the field FULL speed landing blocks on a screen to AJ Green.

That play almost feels like a metaphor for the Mcvay regime.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
As for the Tavon comments. . .

We may leave this season with Tavon having a whole new position. The guy is a threat when the ball is in his hands. That is something that can't be argued.

An offensive mind like Mcvay is probably waking up in a cold sweat every night with a new play schemed just for Tavon.

I have watched a bit of tape of Mcvay's playcalling through gamepass. He is going to have a field day with a guy like Tavon.

He'll stack the receivers and scheme Tavon wide open - what does this guy do with open grass around him?

He'll get Tavon open in the screen game. . . unlike the way our past regime ran the screen game.

He'll get Tavon used as a decoy.

He'll get Tavon in the backfield.

Ultimately McVay is the guy that will not only try to utilize Tavon's skill set. But he'll also put the defense on their heals with a guy like Tavon.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As for the Tavon comments. . .

We may leave this season with Tavon having a whole new position. The guy is a threat when the ball is in his hands. That is something that can't be argued.

An offensive mind like Mcvay is probably waking up in a cold sweat every night with a new play schemed just for Tavon.

I have watched a bit of tape of Mcvay's playcalling through gamepass. He is going to have a field day with a guy like Tavon.

He'll stack the receivers and scheme Tavon wide open - what does this guy do with open grass around him?

He'll get Tavon open in the screen game. . . unlike the way our past regime ran the screen game.

He'll get Tavon used as a decoy.

He'll get Tavon in the backfield.

Ultimately McVay is the guy that will not only try to utilize Tavon's skill set. But he'll also put the defense on their heals with a guy like Tavon.
damn, I hope so!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If Kupp is the pick, I expect we'll see Tavon, Kupp, and Woods in three WR sets unless somebody else beats out Tavon for the job.

I don't know what McVay's plans are for Tavon, but I have trouble seeing him as a slot WR in this scheme. That's just my opinion.

It's okay, jrry32. We're just having a vigorous spitballin' session here.

And your opinion is at least as good as mine.

I guess I've just got an itch that I can't scratch when it comes to Tavon as a WR. I think he's stealing money. Money that could be going to a quality NFL player.

And every time I recall Fisher saying to him on Hard Knocks that he EARNED that extension, well... It just raises my blood pressure about 10 points.

Maybe I'm being unfair with him, although I don't think so. In my mind, I could see him being beat out by an existing WR in those 3 WR sets that McVay occasionally runs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's okay, jrry32. We're just having a vigorous spitballin' session here.

And your opinion is at least as good as mine.

I guess I've just got an itch that I can't scratch when it comes to Tavon as a WR. I think he's stealing money. Money that could be going to a quality NFL player.

And every time I recall Fisher saying to him on Hard Knocks that he EARNED that extension, well... It just raises my blood pressure about 10 points.

Maybe I'm being unfair with him, although I don't think so. In my mind, I could see him being beat out by an existing WR in those 3 WR sets that McVay occasionally runs.

I don't know what the plans are for Austin. I agree with @A.J. Hicks in that I think McVay has a lot more ability than our previous coaches to figure out how to bring Austin's strengths to the table.

Austin has his limitations, but he's also incredible in some respects. We were definitely not the right team for a guy like Tavon while Fisher was here. We'll see what McVay can draw up for him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Starters game #1 may very well not be starters come week 8 or 9

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Starters game #1 may very well not be starters come week 8 or 9

I very much agree, dieter.

Starter status could be very "fluid" at many positions by mid season, depending on draftee development, existing roster player development, and FA development.

WR
TE
C
LB
CB
FS
QB (yeah, it COULD happen)

I would go so far as to predict some new faces as starters at maybe half of those positions vs opening day. I think that this new staff might be that good at development.

Opening day starters better not be resting on their laurels. Lol.