Big, big changes are coming, no doubt...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Huge changes almost everywhere we look.

No one should be surprised by as many as 11 or more new starters at new positions in '17. Maybe even more.

Think about that for just a minute. But how in the world could it be otherwise?

Seven on the O, alone.

Four more on the D. Not even counting the shuffling of the front three. And a TruJo trade would add yet another new starter.

No need to name names, is there? Easier to name the players that WON'T be different starters at same positions in '17. Lol.

I mean, new HC, new OC, new DC (including scheme from 4-3 to 3-4).

I repeat, how could it be otherwise? This is a much needed tsunami of change to improve from a sorry 4-12 team.

And let's don't forget that our starting QB will be starting just his EIGHTH game in the NFL. Plus Gurley's status is in flux after an up and then down first 2 years.

Heck, we're just a short step away from expansion team status when it comes to new starting personnel when you think about it.

I expect some surprising twists and turns in the draft. A few more FA moves afterward, too. This team is not letting grass grow underneath it's feet. It's going places and doing things in all areas.

Hot Damn!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
When the players we are deciding not to re-sign are able to find jobs with other NFL teams... I'd say we are FAR from an expansion team.

This is nothing like the team that Fisher inherited.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I just can't wait to see accountability on the offensive side of the ball. No more kid gloves. No more excuses for guys who slog their way through their routes. No more guys quitting on their routes if they're not primary or secondary read. And hopefully no more defenders campin out in our offensive backfield.

It's been a long time since we had an OC who could gameplan well and set up his players for success. Last one was Linehan, who unfortunately was in over his head everywhere else. I think McVay is ready for this, and having Phillips on the defensive side is absolutely enormous.

So excited for this season, gotta think good things are ahead for us.

A55VA6

Legend
My expectations for 2017 aren't all that high considering the amount of roster turnover, all new coaches/schemes, rookie head coach, but I'll say this.... I believe in what McVay is trying to build here and I'm excited for the ride.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be ecstatic if we had a winning season but how much change we had this offseason and with the schedule we have I don't see it happening. I just want the to be competitive show improvement and be fun to watch again

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When the players we are deciding not to re-sign are able to find jobs with other NFL teams... I'd say we are FAR from an expansion team.

Expansion team comment was a stretch for effect, Selassie. I'll grant you that. And I do agree that this team bears little resemblance to the one that Fisher inherited.

But, just to examine the enormity of the contemplated changes, let's take a look at the players carried over from last year as starters...

Goff. Starting his 8th game.
Gurley. Starting his 3rd season and after a terrible '16 campaign.
Saffold. Oft injured and hasn't resembled even near Pro Bowl status since what? '14?
Tavon. Will he even be a true WR starter? Looks doubtful. We're in trouble if he is a starter, imo.

That leaves at least 7 new positioned O starters vs last year. That's expansion team territory, if you ask me. At least in terms of new starters learning to play together.

How about D?

Tree. ILB kinda the same as last year's MLB.
TruJo. That's IF he doesn't get traded, mind you.

All other 9 D starters will be playing new positions as a Ram. Some being position shuffled, other starters brought in from the outside via FA or possibly the draft.

That's mind boggling transition, tbh. As in expansion team type change.

And you know what? I fully endorse and welcome it. Big changes are necessary if one wants to dramatically improve upon a 4-12 record.

While I expect growing pains, I do believe that McVay and Wade are up to the challenge. Fassel remains a sure thing.

rdw

Pro Bowler

usp-nfl_-san-francisco-49ers-at-st_-louis-rams-4_3.jpg

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So far we only have 3 new starters?

LT, WR, OLB

We'll need 1 more for DE, 1 for TE - but those guys are likely already on the team. We'll need 1 at FS, but he's likely already on the team.

We need 1 for CB - but our starters from last year are still on the team.

4 OL, QB, RB, WR (Tavon), TE (Higbee) - that's 9 positions on offense that will be manned by players that were here last year. On defense it's 10 right now, but could possibly be 8 if we get a new CB and FS - so worst case scenario, we will have a grand total of 5 players starting that weren't on the team last year - if you want to take away Easley and Higbee, 7. That's not bad.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
So far we only have 3 new starters?

LT, WR, OLB

We'll need 1 more for DE, 1 for TE - but those guys are likely already on the team. We'll need 1 at FS, but he's likely already on the team.

We need 1 for CB - but our starters from last year are still on the team.

4 OL, QB, RB, WR (Tavon), TE (Higbee) - that's 9 positions on offense that will be manned by players that were here last year. On defense it's 10 right now, but could possibly be 8 if we get a new CB and FS - so worst case scenario, we will have a grand total of 5 players starting that weren't on the team last year - if you want to take away Easley and Higbee, 7. That's not bad.

C'mon, Frantik...

Surely you don't sincerely believe that, do you?

There is a helluva lot of difference between a player that was merely on the roster last year and a starting player at the same position at which he started last year.

A light year's worth of unproven difference.

Our first 6 games are gonna be verrrrry tricky.

Ram65

Legend
On my phone..
The core of the Rams are still here. Actually there seems to be a nice mix happening. The Rams have let Free Agents go and made a trade and some cuts. They have signed some quality free agents and next is the draft. Its a change for the better.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
There is change but they are all going to be upgrades.Gurley will bounce back, honestly couldn't do worse that last year if he tries. I truly believe in mcvay and again offense couldn't get worse. Defense will be alot more CONSISTENT and possibly talented than last year's . Therefore I'm saying they do better than 4-12 , by the way the nfc west is not as difficult as it has been in previous years .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
C'mon, Frantik...

Surely you don't sincerely believe that, do you?

There is a helluva lot of difference between a player that was merely on the roster last year and a starting player at the same position at which he started last year.

A light year's worth of unproven difference.

Our first 6 games are gonna be verrrrry tricky.

Your crazy Dude ??? Same position ?? The Rams will play some sort of the same type of defense as last season !!!

Barwin will be added for Hayes !! Quinn is a freaking stud who started last year & will be rushing from the right side as usual !! He will just be in a better position to get to the QB ? !!
Donald -- WTF !!! Is a stud &!he played DE at times Rushing the QB !!
Brokers will get more chances to rush maybe ?? Still a DT !!
D. Easily is so quick & will demand playing time !!!
Barron is a flat out stud football player !! Just a tackling machine !!!
Tru !! WTF ?? He is getting paid more than any CB in The NFL for a reason !!
He is going to be in the top 10 in INT's especially with ALL 7 D Lineman adding Barwin over Hayes !!!

Dude come on !!

Woods is a solid FA signing along with Whitmore at LT . Saffold will be awesome next to him at LG !! He finally gets to just play maul !!

Whatever go post fantasy !!! I've been a Ram fan for awhile . Go look at 1999 ?
-- Trent Green would have won a Super Bowl as the QB as well !!

-- will see how the draft goes , but this coming up week is a awesome changing of the guard . Fisher had talent !! Snead put these guys in place. They just need to be coached up. You can look at all the close games last season The Rams lost.
They played some good teams.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Your crazy Dude ??? Same position ?? The Rams will play some sort of the same type of defense as last season !!!

Barwin will be added for Hayes !! Quinn is a freaking stud who started last year & will be rushing from the right side as usual !! He will just be in a better position to get to the QB ? !!
Donald -- WTF !!! Is a stud &!he played DE at times Rushing the QB !!
Brokers will get more chances to rush maybe ?? Still a DT !!
D. Easily is so quick & will demand playing time !!!
Barron is a flat out stud football player !! Just a tackling machine !!!
Tru !! WTF ?? He is getting paid more than any CB in The NFL for a reason !!
He is going to be in the top 10 in INT's especially with ALL 7 D Lineman adding Barwin over Hayes !!!

Dude come on !!

Woods is a solid FA signing along with Whitmore at LT . Saffold will be awesome next to him at LG !! He finally gets to just play maul !!

Whatever go post fantasy !!! I've been a Ram fan for awhile . Go look at 1999 ?
-- Trent Green would have won a Super Bowl as the QB as well !!

-- will see how the draft goes , but this coming up week is a awesome changing of the guard . Fisher had talent !! Snead put these guys in place. They just need to be coached up. You can look at all the close games last season The Rams lost.
They played some good teams.

Apparently, you missed the point of my OP entirely, So Ram.

My original point was that big, big changes are coming.

I concluded with saying that I endorsed and approved of them.

Big changes were necessary if we wanted to dramatically improve our former embarrassing 4-12 team under Fisher.

What's so hard to understand about those two points?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Big changes are necessary. I was thinking that this could be an entirely different team in 2018 after that last game vs the Cards...I thought a certain CB would be gone as well....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Apparently, you missed the point of my OP entirely, So Ram.

My original point was that big, big changes are coming.

I concluded with saying that I endorsed and approved of them.

Big changes were necessary if we wanted to dramatically improve our former embarrassing 4-12 team under Fisher.

What's so hard to understand about those two points?

Nothing is wrong with big changes !! You knew it had to happen. The Rams are moving into a $ 2 Billion stadium in a few years. The Chargers are in town as well.

The Rams have to improve , & they made a huge commitment in trading up to get Jared Goff !!

The Rams needed a offensive minded head coach who was up & coming.

Hiring Wade Phillips was a great move , but to say The Rams have to change that much is crazy. Wade says that himself. I don't get the changing of positions ? Quinn, Easley, Brokers,Donald are Defensive Lineman.
Barwin is a OLB pass Rushing LB .
Barron is still playing LBer & Ogletree is a Inside LBer.
Players come in & out all the time. TJ would have been suspended & was hurt most of the season.They still have everyone else ?

To say The Rams are a rebuilding team is crazy . Far from it . Fisher just lost the team & Fosel is not a Head Coach at all.
He was just there to keep players playing hard & get experience which will pay off this season.
I don't see the change you are talking about ??
Tavon Austin is a lot better than you even think . I've seen 10 TD's called back from his time as a Ram . He is electric & can be an outstanding WR !!
McVay will put him in spots to succeed .

Lance Kendrick & Tim Barnes should have been cut . A new center should have been signed last season & Kendricks never resigned.There is a reason The Rams drafted Higbee & Hemmingway last season !! It's not expansion , it's developing players.
--Look at why The Rams had to Franchise Tru ?? Lack of depth & drafting players.

The offensive line ?? They signed an All Pro LT . He can mentor Greg Robinson for the future at LT !! It gives Greg Robinson a chance to succeed & build confidence .

Guys are moving around , but there is no new players coming in on the offensive line. There will be a center & one of the young Offensive Linemen will get cut ?? Just adds to the depth from the past 2 years. That was when it was like an expansion team !! Bringing in all rookies after waiting years to draft Offensive Lineman. Fisher messed that up . Then wasted the #2 pick on Greg Robinson at the age of 21 to play LT ?? The 2nd hardest position for a rookie to learn other than QB.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Nothing is wrong with big changes !! You knew it had to happen. The Rams are moving into a $ 2 Billion stadium in a few years. The Chargers are in town as well.

The Rams have to improve , & they made a huge commitment in trading up to get Jared Goff !!

The Rams needed a offensive minded head coach who was up & coming.

Hiring Wade Phillips was a great move , but to say The Rams have to change that much is crazy. Wade says that himself. I don't get the changing of positions ? Quinn, Easley, Brokers,Donald are Defensive Lineman.
Barwin is a OLB pass Rushing LB .
Barron is still playing LBer & Ogletree is a Inside LBer.
Players come in & out all the time. TJ would have been suspended & was hurt most of the season.They still have everyone else ?

To say The Rams are a rebuilding team is crazy . Far from it . Fisher just lost the team & Fosel is not a Head Coach at all.
He was just there to keep players playing hard & get experience which will pay off this season.
I don't see the change you are talking about ??
Tavon Austin is a lot better than you even think . I've seen 10 TD's called back from his time as a Ram . He is electric & can be an outstanding WR !!
McVay will put him in spots to succeed .

Lance Kendrick & Tim Barnes should have been cut . A new center should have been signed last season & Kendricks never resigned.There is a reason The Rams drafted Higbee & Hemmingway last season !! It's not expansion , it's developing players.
--Look at why The Rams had to Franchise Tru ?? Lack of depth & drafting players.

The offensive line ?? They signed an All Pro LT . He can mentor Greg Robinson for the future at LT !! It gives Greg Robinson a chance to succeed & build confidence .

Guys are moving around , but there is no new players coming in on the offensive line. There will be a center & one of the young Offensive Linemen will get cut ?? Just adds to the depth from the past 2 years. That was when it was like an expansion team !! Bringing in all rookies after waiting years to draft Offensive Lineman. Fisher messed that up . Then wasted the #2 pick on Greg Robinson at the age of 21 to play LT ?? The 2nd hardest position for a rookie to learn other than QB.

We're not communicating here, So Ram.

We're talking past each other.

I'm done.

lockdnram21

Legend
I see maybe 4 new starters on offense

Whitworth
Woods
Center
TE

Tavon is going to start... They just gave him a contract they probably asked Mcvay how he going to use... There's going to be change but not like people think