Bernie's Ram Bytes: NFL Draftniks can't be trusted

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
Sure he is. But you knew that already too, I suspect. Like others have said, this isn't an exact science. You can find twice as many accurate assessments of players (both good and bad), and it's all just blind luck anyway. I'd be a great evaluator of talent if I could opine on the entire draft as it's happening. All I'd have to say is, "Wow, that guy's gonna suck", and chances are I'll be more than 70% correct. Nobody wants to say that and be right though. They all want to be right about how awesome a player's gonna be when the odds aren't in that favor. Makes 'em seem smart and prophetic.

One mistake is thinking he's going to be writing something that's complex and in depth. I think he tries to write to the very casual fans, which is why there's never much to glean from reading his articles. There are many more casual fans of the Rams than there are die hards like we have here. I think he's writing for the former. The increasingly acerbic and virulent tone he's been expressing lately is really the only thing that really bothers me.

bluecoconuts

Legend
TLDR: "Hey guys, even though everyone is praising the Rams, they didn't do what I wanted so I'm going to bitch and cry and show how everyone else has been wrong before"

So obviously Bernie must be an EXCELLENT draft evaluate right? Lets watch!

April 25th 2009:

"Smith is right choice if Rams take lineman"

The other day I was finishing up on my radio show at WXOS (101.1 FM), only to be informed that Jason Smith was on the line.

The Baylor offensive tackle had unexpectedly called in to do a little pre-draft campaigning.

"Please understand that I want to be in St. Louis," Smith said. "I'm ready to be a Ram. Let's go! I'm Ram Tough."

I think the big fella is about to get his wish.

I'd like to see the Rams do the bold thing and select USC quarterback Mark Sanchez with the No. 2 overall pick in today's NFL draft. Sanchez fits the West Coast offense the team will be operating under coordinator Pat Shurmur. He's a leader who would give a bland franchise some charisma.

And you just don't know when the Rams will be in this position again, empowered with a top pick that they can utilize to grab an elite quarterback to take them into the future. Sanchez wouldn't have to play in 2009. He can sit and learn and the Rams would have time to find better offensive tackles.

But I expect the Rams to take the pragmatic approach and select one of the top offensive tackles at No. 2 overall. Given the choice between Smith and Virginia's Eugene Monroe, I hope the Rams go with Smith.

Smith has more potential. He's a remarkably gifted athlete for a big man. And those who know Smith say he's tenacious and driven to succeed. He wants to be great; he wants to dominate. If you study the video of Smith from his 2008 season at Baylor, there are repeat scenes of Smith sprinting down the field to punish a defensive back in an effort to get his runner some extra yards.

The Rams need that hunger on the field. They need that vitality in their locker room and in their huddle. They need to cultivate new leaders who will raise the competitive standards.

"I'm 6-5 and 310 pounds of twisted steel," Smith said. "I'm a football player. I take that very seriously. And I understand every single day that I have work to do. And I'm going to do everything in my power to get better, every day."

If the Rams are committed to selecting an offensive lineman - barring a last-minute trade or surprise - then please give us Smith. Monroe may be more polished, but the Rams need to bank on Smith's high-ceiling potential and personality.

I don't think I need to search for anymore articles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that was a mistake.

But good for the Vikings. Kinda. He'll have PTSD after the Rams game, but after a month or so he should be alright.
Well they didn't take him with their first pick and he was the third QB taken ,which IMO lends credence.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
One mistake is thinking he's going to be writing something that's complex and in depth. I think he tries to write to the very casual fans, which is why there's never much to glean from reading his articles. There are many more casual fans of the Rams than there are die hards like we have here. I think he's writing for the former. The increasingly acerbic and virulent tone he's been expressing lately is really the only thing that really bothers me.
That's probably the case, yeah. But we here at ROD, demand more. (y)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well they didn't take him with their first pick and he was the third QB taken ,which IMO lends credence.
I'll lend you some credence.

Credence is what I call my penis, in case you didn't get the double entendre.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Also, pretty soon you're gonna have to pay to read his brilliance anyway.
They just made that switch.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
which IMO lends credence.
I read this and had to share a bit from the song stuck in my head

Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no....

So there, I lended you some creedence

Alan

Legend
Occasionally, Bernie has a decent article and, much to my chagrin, I always tune in to see if it's one of those exceptions. I probably always will because it's something new to do/read about the Rams. I suspect that most of you will be doing the same thing despite your protestations. As evidenced by your posts on this one. :ROFLMAO:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I read this and had to share a bit from the song stuck in my head

Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no....

So there, I lended you some creedence
Nice. Now I need more.

[av]http://guitargroups.dylanhoey.com/group4/materials/fortunateson/CCR%20-%20Fortunate%20Son.mp3[/av]

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Occasionally, Bernie has a decent article and, much to my chagrin, I always tune in to see if it's one of those exceptions. I probably always will because it's something new to do/read about the Rams. I suspect that most of you will be doing the same thing despite your protestations. As evidenced by your posts on this one. :ROFLMAO:

It only seems decent because our expectations are so low

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The infatuation with hating Bernie on this site is approaching the levels of the Bradford haters at the PD. It's becoming an everyday occurrence here.

Don't like him? Don't read him.

I like the " don't post his articles" approach. ;)

tonyl711

Starter
IMO Bernie is the definition of a Troll writer, the way he flip flops on things, he is writing for nothing but to get a reaction, his articles are not meant to inform, they are meant to incite people into talking about him. in an article he wrote today he calls himself the Rams writing public enemy number one (or something like that), he gets off on this.

jjab360

Legend
IMO Bernie is the definition of a Troll writer, the way he flip flops on things, he is writing for nothing but to get a reaction, his articles are not meant to inform, they are meant to incite people into talking about him. in an article he wrote today he calls himself the Rams writing public enemy number one (or something like that), he gets off on this.
Pretty much.

He realized he wasn't capable of playing the analyst role with his limited football knowledge and lack of ties with the organization, so he decided to play the Skip Bayless troll role.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

True or not, my concern lies more with whether they were correct in doing that or if they made a major blunder in inflating the worth of certain attributes while underrating the worth of others.

Alan

Legend
-X- with this existential observation:
And when was the last car wreck you passed that you didn't look at. ;)
Yeah, we're a pretty strange species aren't we.:) Keeps us busy though.:LOL:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yeah, I have to admit I read a lot of player evals and mock drafts and post draft grades. In the end it is a guessing game for everyone.
I was at work today talking draft with a friend a seahawk fan ( I know I know ) and he was showing me the eval for their 2012 draft.
it said something like Bruce Irvin is the worse first round pick yet this year and 3rd round pick qb russel Wilson also gets an F undersized and doesn't fit their style.
2 years later they have a SB win 3 starters and 2 second stringers from the draft that graded an F