Bernie's Ram Bytes: NFL Draftniks can't be trusted

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ram Bytes: NFL Draftniks can't be trusted
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_5b9a41f3-d5fd-52cd-8135-01af3786d074.html

Up front, let me say this: for what the Rams wanted to accomplish in the 2014 draft, they have a reason to be happy. As I've written already, they stocked up on the kind of players that fit coach Jeff Fisher's blueprint for a winning team.

Yeah, I would have drafted WR Sammy Watkins, but I'm not analyzing the Rams' draft based on what I wanted. Or what you wanted. It's about what they wanted. It's about finding players that fit their schemes.

(Related update: Rams' second-year WR Stedman Bailey has been suspended by the NFL for four games for violating the league's policy banning the use of performance-enhancing drugs. But the Rams insist they're all set at WR. Gotcha.)

But as you may know, I have an aversion to post-draft report cards and everybody rushing in to slap "A" grades on some teams, and declaring other teams a failure for their picks. It's ludicrous. We won't know about the success of these draft classes for at least two seasons, and more likely three seasons.

So why am I so crabby about these instant, breathless snap judgments?

Well, here's why ...

I did some Google searches and came up with a few perfect examples that highlight the foolishness of the endeavor.

* I really do believe offensive lineman Greg Robinson has everything you'd want in an offensive tackle, even if the Rams probably will start him out at guard. Robinson was the No. 2 overall pick. But let's hold off on the Hall of Fame predictions.

Remember the 2009 draft? The Rams took Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith at No. 2 overall.

Here's what ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. said about Smith in the days before the draft: "The OT spot is strong at the top with Smith, a former tight end who is supremely athletic and exactly what you want in a left tackle: someone you can count on to protect the blind side of your quarterback."

Here's what ESPN's Todd McShay said about Smith: "The top offensive lineman in the 2009 class. He possesses the agility, power and work ethic to solidify the left tackle spot for years to come in St. Louis."

And ESPN quoted "an NFC general manager on Smith. The GM said: "He is really one of those 10-year left tackle type guys. He is really in my eyes a No. 1 guy. You'd love to have a guy like that. He's a Walter Jones left tackle who could play forever. He's got it all with the size and athletic ability."

Result: Bust.

• Here's Kiper after the Raiders made QB JaMarcus Russell the No. 1 overall pick in 2007: "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that’s certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league… look out because the skill level he has is certainly John Elway-like."

John Elway?

• Kiper on Jimmy Clausen, the Notre Dame QB that he rated the fourth-best player (any position) in the 2010 draft: "If Clausen is not a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, I’m done. That’s it. I’m out."

• The Bleacher Report shredded Seattle's 2012 draft which included the outstanding MLB Bobby Wagner, effective pass-rusher Bruce Irvin, and QB Russell Wilson:

"As if the day wasn't bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn't fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day."

Result: Wilson and the 2014 Seahawks won the Super Bowl.

• Pete Prisco of CBS Sports gave the Seahawks a "D" for their choice of Wilson in the 3rd round, writing, "Why does Seattle take him? They paid Matt Flynn and have two others. Strange pick."

Result: Super Bowl.

• Kiper on Cincinnati's pick of QB Akili Smith with the No. 3 overall choice in 1999: "Smith will be a great NFL player and will finally give the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they’d lacked since Boomer Esiason."

• Here's Kiper after the Lions picked WR Mike Williams 10th overall in 2005: "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction."

Result: Or maybe not. Bust.

• Kiper after the Chargers took QB Ryan Leaf No. 2 overall in 1998: "His attitude will be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over other players in his draft class."

• Some others:

— Kiper ripped the Colts for drafting RB Marshall Faulk instead of taking QB Heath Shuler or QB Trent Dilfer.

— McShay said that Blaine Gabbert would be a better NFL quarterback than Cam Newton.

— Paul Zimmerman of Sports Illustrated gave the Rams' 2006 draft a B+ grade, one of the best in the league that year. To refresh your memory, here were the Rams' picks in the first three rounds: CB Tye Hill, TE Joe Klopfenstein, DT Claude Wroten, LB Jon Alston, TE Dominique Byrd.

(That draft class was a complete disaster.)

• Let's end where we began, with the 2009 draft. SI's Peter King loved the Rams' '09 draft that included Smith at No. 2 overall. The Rams have only one player left from that '09 class, LB James Laurinaitis.

Wrote King: "I can't be happier for the fans of the Rams that this team did the right thing and took a 10-year tackle. Why? The tackle situation was as bad as any single position for any team in football, and getting Jason Smith to replace Orlando Pace was essential."

Sigh.

I've written things like that, too. I also liked the Smith pick.

Which is why I got out of the report card business.

Thanks for reading ...

— Bernie

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
So what you're telling me that no evaluator is correct 100% of the time including NFL scouts?

Well why even cover the draft in the first place?

Because it's entertaining. Unlike Bernie's articles.

MrMotes

Starter
Didn't Bernie recently write a column about how high draft picks pan out much more often than lower ones?

rdw

Pro Bowler
R7WsNim.gif

V3

Hall of Fame
The infatuation with hating Bernie on this site is approaching the levels of the Bradford haters at the PD. It's becoming an everyday occurrence here.

Don't like him? Don't read him.

rdw

Pro Bowler
The infatuation with hating Bernie on this site is approaching the levels of the Bradford haters at the PD. It's becoming an everyday occurrence here.

If he's going to continue to whine and moan about every decision the Rams make then I'm going to whine and moan about him AND not give his articles clicks.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
The title should say... "Ram Bytes: Bernie and His Incoherent Ramblings Can't Be Trusted"

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
So he did a Google search for specific bits of data that validated his point of view...................if I wasn't so damn lazy I would do my own Google search and see how many times all of those draftniks nailed the assessment of a player.

I don't mind reading opinions as long as the persons giving them realize that they are just opinions.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
So he did a Google search for specific bits of data that validated his point of view...................if I wasn't so damn lazy I would do my own Google search and see how many times all of those draftniks nailed the assessment of a player.

I don't mind reading opinions as long as the persons giving them realize that they are just opinions.
I think there's a good point in that the talking heads are often wrong about the draft... just because Bernie is Bernie, it doesn't negate that.

Stopped clock is right twice a day and all that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

He made his big California King bed. Now he has to lie in it. There have been a few of us who have trotted out all of his inconsistencies and flip-flopping over the years, and all of his shots at players and coaches alike. I don't respect a man who doesn't have the courage of his own convictions, and I suspect that's the problem many other people have with him. And I understand he's just a reporter who does op-ed pieces, but that's not necessarily his saving grace. Other guys like Sando and Wagoner do that well, and convey all of the same information, just without all the hyperbole and rabble rousing.

So, V, I don't know what to tell you other than you're probably gonna have to take your own advice here. If you see a Bernie article, read it and anticipate that most of what follows in the thread is going to be a whole lot of who gives a shit what you say anymore. Because like I said, he made that bed. And if I want to read hyperbole and sarcasm, I know where I can find it. Not coincidentally, it's the forum of the same place at which he's employed.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Thing is, Bernie shows no love for the Rams. He's a local guy who continually bashes the Rams. And you guys like reading that?

It's like a jerky kid in your neighborhood constantly kicking your dog and you telling other kids to be nice to him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I regret clicking this thread. I try to ignore any thread with a Bernie article. I don't find his articles insightful, original, or objective. I think the premise of this article states the obvious and he really doesn't make any sort of point.

Why didn't he use the time he spent on the article breaking down the guys we drafted? Why didn't he use the time he spent on this article writing an article about the lesser known guys we drafted(Alexander, Rhaney, Van Dyk)? I could go on.

Point is that this guy is paid to write about the Rams...and yet he rarely writes anything insightful about the Rams. He rarely talks football. He never makes me believe the guy actually has advanced knowledge of the game of football. Seems like he's writing a blog about his own personal musings that are tangentially related to the Rams.

Yea, I think I'm best off ignoring the Bernie articles.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He's right
Sure he is. But you knew that already too, I suspect. Like others have said, this isn't an exact science. You can find twice as many accurate assessments of players (both good and bad), and it's all just blind luck anyway. I'd be a great evaluator of talent if I could opine on the entire draft as it's happening. All I'd have to say is, "Wow, that guy's gonna suck", and chances are I'll be more than 70% correct. Nobody wants to say that and be right though. They all want to be right about how awesome a player's gonna be when the odds aren't in that favor. Makes 'em seem smart and prophetic.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

I think Bernie thinks all publicity is good,why are you offended in his behalf? BTW I agreed with the point of his article,he stuck to the subject and took no shots at the Rams that weren't true.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sure he is. But you knew that already too, I suspect. Like others have said, this isn't an exact science. You can find twice as many accurate assessments of players (both good and bad), and it's all just blind luck anyway. I'd be a great evaluator of talent if I could opine on the entire draft as it's happening. All I'd have to say is, "Wow, that guy's gonna suck", and chances are I'll be more than 70% correct. Nobody wants to say that and be right though. They all want to be right about how awesome a player's gonna be when the odds aren't in that favor. Makes 'em seem smart and prophetic.
Was listening to XM yesterday and a fan called in complaining how no one but the Vikings were smart enough to take Brdge first round ,guy who was an NFL exec. said it was where everyone inside the league had him,he was never any higher except on draft publications

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Was listening to XM yesterday and a fan called in complaining how no one but the Vikings were smart enough to take Brdge first round ,guy who was an NFL exec. said it was where everyone inside the league had him,he was never any higher except on draft publications
Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that was a mistake.

But good for the Vikings. Kinda. He'll have PTSD after the Rams game, but after a month or so he should be alright.