Bernie's Ram Bytes: Hello, anyone there at Rams Park?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ram Bytes: Hello, anyone there at Rams Park?
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_293728ae-02c3-560a-8b8a-d37b46f33b1c.html

A little more than a week into the NFL free-agent swap meet, the Rams have gone all Jaime Garcia: we know they are there, we can can see them, even talk to them – but they aren't participating. They remain sidelined.

Let's reset the appropriate caveats for the short-attention span crowd:

* I know, the Rams are building through the draft. Got it. Heard it the first six million times. Les Snead, Jeff Fisher, the draft, constructing a roster with young, developing players. Right-o. Stan Kroenke, Arsenal, the Arsene Wenger model. Kroenke read the book on how the New England Patriots get it done. I'm up on all of that. The draft is the way to go. Wash, rinse, repeat.

* I didn't expect the Rams to go bananas in free agency. Because of the top-heavy contracts given to non-Pro Bowl players on their roster, the Rams don't have an abundance of cap room to work with. Besides, rumor has it that the Rams' plan is to build through the draft.

* I never have and never will demand that the Rams go crazy and make a bunch of short-sighted, financially-stupid free-agent moves. First, it doesn't make sense to do that for the long term. And as a short-term strategy, how many have really benefited from a rush of free-agent grabs? See: Daniel Snyder, Washington Redskins. And do you remember Billy Devaney and Steve Spagnuolo getting all overheated and signing approximately 219 free agents – 217 of whom were old or broken down and/or talentless – before the 2011 season? How did that work out? Too many impulse buys are usually bad news. Generally speaking, discipline in the free-agent market is a sound principle.

Besides, informed speculation is that Snead and Fisher are building the team through the draft.

Anyone else hear about that?

* I realize free agency isn't over. And teams will be cutting expensive veterans after June 1. Even the teams that are building through the draft – reportedly the Rams are one of those clubs – can scoop up a bargain or two.

* If the Rams do make a few sensible free-agent purchases, I'll be pleased to give them a polite golf clap for it. They'll get the appropriate credit. And they have tried to get in on some defensive tackles. But what about cornerback and safety _ just to name two positions. Even if the Rams plan to attack those positions by drafting to them, doesn't it make sense to add some veteran presence?

To repeat: I don't care how the Rams build a winning team... as long as they build a winning team, and that winning team becomes a playoff team.

Whew.

With all of that out of the way …

Is there some middle ground out there in Earth City?

Or is it Flat-Earth City?

Even with the team's consistent pro-draft policy in place, don't you have to at least make some free-agent moves to supplement the roster?

Is the Rams' roster really so sound from top-to-bottom to the point where they can virtually ignore free agency and fill every need through the draft?

Give Snead and Fisher this much: the Rams may be short on wins, but the bosses can never be accused of lacking confidence. And it's not as if they have a bunch of championship trophies on the shelf.

I'm trying to remember … Seattle won the Super Bowl, right? And the Rams finished in last place in the four-team NFC West? Good. I thought I'd lost my mind, and forgotten that the Rams won the Super Bowl early last month.

Snead and Fisher have been touting 2014 as the so-called breakthrough season. I sure hope so. Fans have been waiting for the so-called breakthrough season for nine, 10 years. Snead and Fisher have done well to get this team up from the dead and to the seven-win level but can't regress.

It's just odd to me to see the 49ers and Cardinals be more aggressive this season (so far) than the Rams.

The 49ers are just trying to avoid major losses and have pretty much succeeded. When safety Donte Whitner signed with Cleveland the 49ers immediately replaced him by signing Indianapolis FA safety Antoine Bethea. And the 49ers also retained a couple of key veterans with new contracts for WR Anquan Boldin and CB Eric Wright. The 49ers are still in the market for help at WR.

The Cardinals used free agency to fill a major need by signing left offensive tackle Jared Veldheer (Oakland) on the first day.

The Seahawks haven't done much. As expected, they lost several starters and key backups to free agency, including WR Golden Taint, OT Breno Giacomini, DT Clinton McDonald and corners Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond. And they also cut defensive ends Red Bryant and Chris Clemons for salary-cap savings. But the Seahawks also kept a few of their own free agents including pass rusher Michael Bennett and DT Tony McDaniel. Seattle also has $15.2 million left under the cap, and are on the prowl and a big chunk of that is being held in reserve in anticipation of signing several core veterans to new contracts.

The Rams are chasing the other three teams; they aren't pursuing the Rams. You'd think the Rams could have identified, and signed, two or three helpful free agents to gain depth and incremental improvement. They do have some cap space (as much as $12 million according to Jim Thomas). And perhaps they'll put it to use. But most good free agents are already gone.

As of now you'd better hope for two things:

1. The Rams hit the jackpot in the 2014 draft.

2. Snead and Fisher are right in their unshakable assessment that they found real gold in their first two drafts, and they're about to cash in the treasure.

One more note: Shaun Hill would be a good No. 2 quarterback. The Rams are talking to him. When pressed into a starting role during his career, Hill has a 13-13 record, with a respectable 84.3 passer rating.

Thanks for reading …

-Bernie

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
My gosh, Bernie, that struck me as PATHETIC!!! You're obviously irritated the Rams aren't doing more in FA but follow it with all the sound justifications for the doing so. Then you top it off by adding NO BETTER REASONS for overpaying for splash FA's. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. I'm sure you'd find a way to do that, though.

-Potential breakout team to start
-Very limited budget
-Big re-signs right around the corner
-Multiple premium picks
-Many FA over payed (MELTON!!)

And for some reason you wanna throw dirt on Snisher because...

A) Our only shot is this year
B) Lose a key player like Quinn
C) Didn't sign your man crushes
D) You have no real concept of what they're doing but you claim otherwise.
E) You're still pissed because they like that turd, Sam Bradford.
F) ALL THE ABOVE

How the heck do you collect a check for writing a trash article like that?

You didn't offer anything new, you just crapped all over the place. Then you tried to do like a cat and barry it with other pointless garbage.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
A column written by and for 12 year old mentalities, good to know there are some things you can count on, Bernie writing juvenile columns is a staple.
The Post Dispatch needs to go into the free agent pool and sign some talent.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I usually refrain from bashing any sports writer but Bernie is all over the place here. Maybe he's just mad because there's not much new to write about these days. And why does he always feel the need to throw in at least one insult per article? "Let's reset the appropriate caveats for the short-attention span crowd." C'mon man..........

PhxRam

And they wonder why the PD board is the way it is...

Their ring leader is fanning the flames.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i only needed to read the heading to come up with this response.

derrrrrrrrp.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
bernie-miklasz-fat-post-dispatch-blues-rams-cardinals-sports.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Guess Bernie won't be doing any guest interviews here at ROD any time in the near future.

FRO

Legend
Didn't he write the same article a week ago? Who should have we of signed that we didn't? I want names. Just don't make blanket complaints and run away. Lazy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol. I hate myself for clicking this thread. I have been ignoring all of Bernie's articles but I couldn't help myself when I saw the title. I cannot believe this hack is paid to do this. I could do a better job writing about the Rams than Bernie does and I am no journalist.

FRO

Legend
The more I think about it, I believe that maybe one of his media buddies from another city may have called the St Louis media soft and Bernie wants to show them he can be tough? Either that or he wasn't given a scoop on a few stories so he is retaliating. I mean he wrote this same article last week. Complained about us not keeping Saffold, then when we get him back he asks why we rushed in resigning him. What gives?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well, I try to keep my perspective on who his writing is directed toward; the average fan...

Bernie accomplished getting those guys riled up, I'm sure.

Additionally, the $12MM in cap room sounds like a lot to the average fan (who forgets we have to sign the rookies with some of that).

At the same time; I have no problem with Bernie putting a little pressure on the Front Office. They do, by the way, have to deliver!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Lol. I hate myself for clicking this thread. I have been ignoring all of Bernie's articles but I couldn't help myself when I saw the title. I cannot believe this hack is paid to do this. I could do a better job writing about the Rams than Bernie does and I am no journalist.
Yup jrry you are one of the 20 poster here that easily could outdo Pat

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I usually refrain from bashing any sports writer but Bernie is all over the place here. Maybe he's just mad because there's not much new to write about these days. And why does he always feel the need to throw in at least one insult per article? "Let's reset the appropriate caveats for the short-attention span crowd." C'mon man..........

He's angry because he doesn't get access and other stuff from the guys in charge like he used to get. And it's reflected in his lash outs against the current guys. It's juvenile, but typical of Bernie these days. He's been unreadable for several years. I gloss over his stuff and frankly it's hardly even worth that.

He's horrible at his job. When is the last time he even talked to a player by the way.

I've said this before but it bears repeating. Think about what the Rams think of him........ Demoff spends more time talking to fans on message boards than he does talking to Bernie.

That tells you all you need to know.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
we know they are there, we can can see them, even talk to them

Right Bern. Anyone want to speculate how often they talk to him? What a snarky pathetic little pud.