Bernie: Foles could be the answer for Rams — or not

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I love when pundits do this: "Anonymous NFL Head Coach." For the purpose of the article of course, how about getting your ass to Kansas City and asking Andy Reid why he drafted Foles? Or actually get a point of view from the new QB Coach Chris Weinke? Or Good God even ask a retired Head Coach who would love to go on the record like Mike Martz?

Just a thought, but as Vince Lombardi once said..."If you're going to do something right don't do it right once in a while, do it right every single time."

You just PERFECTLY summed up why Bernie has been unreadable for a few years. He mails it in, he does so little research and exerts so little effort that his writing is all filler. Literally it's all filler, there is no substance. And you pointing out three people he could VERY easily contact should cause him to be embarrassed but even if you said it to his face I don't think he would care.

I hope he has a strong program director with his new radio gig or he won't last.

FRO

Legend
What is great is when Foles succeeds or flops Bernie will reference this article saying how he predicted how Foles will turn out. Sitting on the fence allows Bernie to pat himself on the back down the road for being right. Didn't we ban Bernie?

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I get why so many don't like Bernie, but he has written some excellent columns over the years... this was poor by any standards.... Bernie leaving is the polar opposite of the 'poison chalice', because it would be hard to imagine the next person having to write about a team as historically bad as the Rams have been... that would wear anyone down, and is never going to endear you to the public...

Right now, looking at our roster, with two 2nd round picks going into next years draft... the 49ers stalling, the Hags about to see their talent pool dwindle as they enter cap hell and the Cardinals ushering in a false dawn, with many questionable additions and an ageing QB, plenty will apply for Bernie's job and one lucky winner may well enjoy all the benefits of a sustained run of success

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I guess I'll be the one to point out the possibility that he did actually call to speak with different people who worked with Foles and they either had no comment, didn't want to go on record, or gave a comment on the condition of anonymity.
It's really not a stretch of the imagination to believe people don't want to comment on former teammates or employees. No one from Philly is going to puff up Foles after they trade him away and no one on the Rams are going to criticize him after they traded for him. None of his teammates are going to do anything but praise him before the season starts.
To me, it's a Captain Obvious type column. But I'm not the target audience. He's writing for people who get their sports from a sports page or from a 20 minute drive to work, people who don't talk about Nick Foles all day. Not guys who spends 14 hours a day on the internet talking football. You can't please those guys, I don't care if it's football or Star Wars being discussed. At least that's my take on it.

As for Foles, my opinion is the same as when he was with Philly. Average. But I'm cautiously optimistic he'll top that this year. Though after the huge letdowns of the last two years, I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As for Foles, my opinion is the same as when he was with Philly. Average.

You know, I would be thrilled if the Rams had 16 games of an average starting QB - someone who can sometimes make the big play, without making too many huge mistakes, and let the defense and running game do a lot of the work. Yes, it would be nice to have a star QB, but the Rams can win with an average one.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
You just PERFECTLY summed up why Bernie has been unreadable for a few years. He mails it in, he does so little research and exerts so little effort that his writing is all filler. Literally it's all filler, there is no substance. And you pointing out three people he could VERY easily contact should cause him to be embarrassed but even if you said it to his face I don't think he would care.

I hope he has a strong program director with his new radio gig or he won't last.
All true but the thing that really irks me is calling fans who disagree with his position (today) names like "loon". Hey Bern, that isn't an argument!