Bernie: Foles could be the answer for Rams — or not

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Foles could be the answer for Rams — or not
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_6c7c730a-3af6-5cf3-beeb-a2ecfef03075.html

Here’s one of the worst things about the constant huffing and puffing over the Rams, St. Louis, Stan Kroenke, Los Angeles, Gov. Nixon, the Edward Jones Dome, the STL stadium task force, NFL relocation guidelines, the proposed stadium on the north riverfront, Peacock & Blitz, Roger Goodell, the San Diego Chargers, the Oakland Raiders, Carson, and Inglewood (always up to no good) ...

I don’t talk about Rams football anymore.

You know: the game on the field.

Not the game of Monopoly.

I’ve been so hopelessly distracted by STL vs. LA and the Battle for Los Angeles, I’ve struggled to keep up with the football stuff.

So let’s talk about the Rams’ 2015 training camp, shall we?

Hey, I know you’ve heard me say this before, but I’m confident this is the year that quarterback Sam Bradford finally puts it all together for the Rams.

The Rams just needed to surround Bradford with more talent. And the free-agent signing of left offensive tackle Jake Long should keep Bradford upright and healthy.

Plus, this will be Bradford’s fourth season working with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, and the continuity will make a positive difference.

Know what I mean?

What’s that?

Bradford was traded to Philadelphia for quarterback Nick Foles, and “Schotty” no longer works for the Rams? Jake Long was released in a salary-cap move?

Oh.

Let’s talk about Foles, then. I’ll stop kidding around.

On a serious note, the Rams open camp Friday. And there’s so much to keep an eye on this summer, including the surgically repaired left knee of rookie running back Todd Gurley. And watch out for that herd of mammoth rookie offensive linemen.

But Foles is the most intriguing player in camp.

Since the Rams’ last winning season (2003), they’ve used 14 starting quarterbacks: Marc Bulger, Bradford, Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, Jamie Martin, Chris Chandler, Kyle Boller, Keith Null, A.J. Feeley, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gus Frerotte, Brock Berlin and Trent Green.

Foles is next in line.

What will become of him?

Eligible to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, Foles could be passing through town, one and done. Or he could take the job, own it, and provide the long-term stability that’s been missing since Bulger started 80 of a possible 96 regular-season games between 2002 and 2008.

No doubt, the constant churn at a critically important position is a factor in the Rams’ .327 winning percentage over the past 11 seasons.

With many NFL franchises, the big quarterback question at this time of the year pertains to quality: Can the talented QB lead the team to the playoffs and win a Super Bowl?

In St. Louis, with so many quarterback injuries, benchings, recycling jobs and coaching changes, the key question is much different: Do the Rams even have a QB?

In evaluating Foles, you can pretty much see what you want to see.

Hey, this is the quarterback who threw 27 touchdown passes and only two interceptions for Philadelphia in 2013. Foles was voted to the Pro Bowl, the dazzling Eagles averaged 28 points per game, went 10-6, and made the NFC playoffs.

Wow, 27 touchdowns and two pickoffs? And average of 9.1 yards per passing attempt? A passer rating of 119.2? When Kurt Warner was the pride of St. Louis, orchestrating the Greatest Show on Turf, he never had a passer rating higher than 109.2 in a season. Foles is no Warner, but he could be the best quarterback here since Bulger went to the Pro Bowl after passing for 4,301 yards in 2006.

No, no, no. Foles is a one-year wonder who crashed in 2014. Foles passed for only 13 touchdowns, lobbed too many interceptions (10), held the ball too long, took too many hits, suffered a fractured collarbone, and was abruptly cast aside by Eagles coach Chip Kelly.

Given Kelly’s obsession with offense, and his quarterback-friendly attack, why did he give up on Foles so quickly? What does that tell us? Not only that, but Kelly flipped Foles to St. Louis to gamble on Bradford. Yeah, the iron-man Bradford that missed 25 of the Rams’ previous 32 games because of two knee surgeries.

Hold on, now. Why the negativity? Foles made a great impression right away. His new teammates rave about him. The Rams have embraced Nick as the leader they’ve been waiting for.

“The chemistry has been great since day one,” wide receiver Kenny Britt told reporters. “He’s the guy that comes in the locker room and pumps people up ready to go. If you’re down, he’s the first one (saying) ‘Hey come on, we’ve gotta go right now.’ To tell you the truth, it’s kind of exciting to see him in there.”

Tight end Jared Cook co-signed the endorsement. “I’m so glad that he’s here. I love that he’s here,” Cook told the team’s web site. “I love what he brings to us, and I love the fact that he’s just an up-tempo, positive guy.”

Love was definitely in the air at Rams Park.

“Great deep ball,” Britt said. “He puts it on the money every time. He can throw every pass in the book.”

That’s nice.

As you might imagine, the opinions in Philadelphia aren’t so nice.

In a recent interview with a Philadelphia radio station, former Eagles scout Louis Riddick described an alternative version of Foles.

“I’ve talked with people directly that were with him every day and coached him, and he was the kind of guy who behind the scenes didn’t necessarily like being criticized, didn’t necessarily like maybe being coached hard, being gotten on in the way that some quarterbacks and some players can take,” Riddick said.

“So is it surprising that maybe he would fit in a little bit better in a town like St. Louis where, not necessarily that they don’t have high expectations, but it’s not the same kind of scrutiny he’ll face here in Philadelphia? Yeah, that doesn’t shock me. That doesn’t shock me that he would feel more comfortable there.”

Speaking to ESPN’s Mike Sando, one anonymous NFL head coach said he’d be delighted to have Foles … at No. 2 on the depth chart.

“You wish he was your backup because he could go win some games for you,” the coach said. “But I wouldn’t want him to be my starter.”

This is confusing, yes?

Foles is either (1) a natural-born leader of men who puts every throw on the money; or (2) he’s thin-skinned, can’t take the heat, couldn’t wait to duck behind the low expectations in St. Louis and is no better than a good backup.

I’m neutral for now. I like Foles’ potential, but he could go either way.

Foles could be the answer, the solution, the missing piece. Or he could go missing, like the many Rams quarterbacks that have come and gone.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I’ve been so hopelessly distracted by STL vs. LA and the Battle for Los Angeles, I’ve struggled to keep up with the football stuff.

Which is your fault Bernie, of course it's something a lot of Rams fans struggle with too.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I thought we'd heard the last of him? Zombie Bernie is the worst Bernie :(.

"Foles could be the answer for Rams — or not"

Yes I believe those are the two options.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
8a140e8f101509b59bfcc0a1382e7d67.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I thought we'd heard the last of him? Zombie Bernie is the worst Bernie :(.

Yes I believe those are the two options.

Me to!!

Ditto's!!

And, the Last was a " Brilliant Observation!!"

To Bernie, I say ..

PigFeathers Logo Right.jpg

Athos

Legend
I could bang a couple super models.... Or not.

What a fascinating analysis.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I’m neutral for now. I like Foles’ potential, but he could go either way.

Foles could be the answer, the solution, the missing piece. Or he could go missing, like the many Rams quarterbacks that have come and gone.
Gotta say, I agree with Bernard on this one.

We all *hope* he's the answer and that he can duplicate his 2013 numbers, but we could get the 2014 version or worse.
There's just no telling at this point in time. In July, erryting looks irie.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bernie Wrote said:
Speaking to ESPN’s Mike Sando, one anonymous NFL head coach said he’d be delighted to have Foles … at No. 2 on the depth chart.

I love when pundits do this: "Anonymous NFL Head Coach." For the purpose of the article of course, how about getting your ass to Kansas City and asking Andy Reid why he drafted Foles? Or actually get a point of view from the new QB Coach Chris Weinke? Or Good God even ask a retired Head Coach who would love to go on the record like Mike Martz?

Just a thought, but as Vince Lombardi once said..."If you're going to do something right don't do it right once in a while, do it right every single time."

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Judging by recent writings, my money says Bernie's opinion is firmly in the NOT column... I just can't stand him anymore...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I usually like to read articles so I can learn something new. Maybe I should stay away from Bernie articles. I feel just as dumb after reading it as I did before reading it.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I love when pundits do this: "Anonymous NFL Head Coach." For the purpose of the article of course, how about getting your ass to Kansas City and asking Andy Reid why he drafted Foles? Or actually get a point of view from the new QB Coach Chris Weinke? Or Good God even ask a retired Head Coach who would love to go on the record like Mike Martz?

Just a thought, but as Vince Lombardi once said..."If you're going to do something right don't do it right once in a while, do it right every single time."
Agreed, especially because anonymous doesn't exactly inspire all that much confidence. That could mean any head coach. There's a vast difference between this being said by somebody like a Tomlin and then being said by Mike Pettine.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram

Crazy that someone actually gets paid to write this---

Today could be a good day-----or it could not be good!!!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There's a vast difference between this being said by somebody like a Tomlin and then being said by Mike Pettine.

Very true and those two are defensive coaches I understand most current NFL Head Coaches won't go on record, however, there are plenty of ex NFL Head Coaches that could give you their analyses or better yet, how about a former player, maybe give Kurt Warner a call, it was Warner two years ago that stated Teddy Bridgewater was the most ready of the collegiate signal callers....Seems that Warner would be a sounding board especially when you are writing to a St. Louis audience.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This could be an interesting article.
Or not.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Foles doesn't need to be an elite Qb ala Rodgers,Manning or Brady damm just threw up a little saying that.Anyway with the defense we have and a strong running game he just has to manage the game right.I believe he can this and more but it will depend on our o-line if they gel and play well were playoff bound.

MrMotes

Starter
Until the Rams prove me wrong, i'm sticking with the idea that it barely matters who plays QB on this team.

We'll go as far as the defense takes us...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Summary:

Foles is good. Or he's not. I'm a fat short timer. Deuces!