Bernie: Fisher takes steep climb in stride

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... a5fb5.html

4fd7e9bd5133d.preview-620.jpg

Jeff Fisher took a year off from coaching, and traveled around the country, and saw the world. He had fun during his break from the daily grind and pressure of the coaching life. His No. 1 highlight was climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa.

When Fisher returned to coaching, he signed on to make a more imposing and hazardous climb. Fisher took over the Rams, a woebegone franchise that from 2007-2011 lost more games (65) over a five-season stretch than any team in NFL history.

It is a franchise in flux, with owner Stan Kroenke making fans restless and fearful of a move to Los Angeles. You could say there are more attractive situations in the NFL. On the field, the Rams have averaged three wins over the last five seasons. Away from the field, fans are being beaten down by LA rumors.

Welcome to St. Louis, Coach.

The assignment isn't for the faint of heart. Mike Martz reached the Super Bowl, lost in an epic upset, then slowly cracked. The last two full-time head coaches to give it a go were buried under a rock-slide of losses. Scott Linehan and Steve Spagnuolo came to Earth City with smiles and optimism. Their combined record as head coach: 21-63.

When Linehan and Spagnuolo were fired, it seemed like the merciful thing to do. The unrelenting punishment of the job turned two good men into paranoid, uptight wrecks.

This description does not match a rested and ready Fisher.

"I love this game," Fisher said. "I have great respect for our owner, and I made a commitment to him to get him a trophy. And I'm going to start working towards that."

That would be the Vince Lombardi Trophy, handed to the yearly Super Bowl champion. Lombardi? Most fans would be happy with 8-8 for now. But as his first Rams' training camp gets under way, Fisher has no desire to lower expectations. You won't hear him talking about reconstruction zones and five-year plans.

"Every training camp I've started as a head coach or assistant, it felt like my first," Fisher said. "This one feels like it's my first [ever] training camp. You go into it with a willingness to learn, with energy. With willingness to put a team together that has high expectations. That goes out expecting to win every game."

Fisher, 54, is one of the more confident individuals you'll ever encounter, and the Rams need that. More than anything, they need better football players — and lots of them. And they need to do a more effective job of teaching and coaching players.

Strategy wasn't the primary issue for Linehan and Spagnuolo. Like many insecure first-time NFL head coaches, the pressure of the job consumed them. They worried about having total control and wanted to make all of the personnel decisions. They built walls and bunkers and fretted over silly matters that had little to do with game-day success.

Linehan and Spags could never complete that difficult jump from assistant to head coach. They couldn't fill the big meeting room with their presence. That won't be a problem for Fisher.

Obviously confidence and experience don't lead to automatic success. Fisher had some forgettable seasons in Tennessee, but it wasn't an easy job. Early on, he had the challenge of coaching a team that moved from Houston to Nashville, with a one-season stop in Memphis in between. Fisher had to keep the peace with a zany owner, Bud Adams, who liked to make 'suggestions." That's how Fisher ended up with Vince Young at quarterback.

Fisher didn't win a Super Bowl in his 16 full seasons as coach of the Oilers-Titans. It's easy to pick apart his record, dismiss it as nothing special. But once the franchise put down firm roots in Nashville, Fisher's teams had a .600 winning percentage over a 10-season stretch. From 1999 through 2008, only Indianapolis, New England, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia won more games than Tennessee.

When you're fifth among 32 teams in victories over 10 seasons, that tells me you can coach. In the middle of the run, Tennessee had severe salary-cap problems and had to rebuild on the fly. Fisher got it done. But a coach can take only so many years of Bud Adams.

Fisher and first-year GM Les Snead can look forward to functioning smoothly in St. Louis. Kroenke has empowered his football men and chief operating officer Kevin Demoff and won't be meddling.

There's a lot of work to do. The Rams appear to be vulnerable at offensive tackle. They don't have an established left guard. They're thin at outside linebacker and safety. They have many receivers that fit the same profile: young, talented, unproven. This is an important season for third-year quarterback Sam Bradford, who should benefit from the sounder, smarter approach being taken by new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

I don't know how many games the Rams will win. It's like asking me to tell you who will win the lottery. I think we can agree that this will take some time. And that Snead and Fisher need to strike it rich in the draft and free agency.

The Rams should have better personnel a year from now, and two years from now. You simply don't take over a 15-65 team and parachute into the playoffs in one season.

Don't tell Fisher that.

"If I were to say we'll go 10-6, what do I tell the players about the six games we're going to lose? That's not fair to them," Fisher said. "I'm coming out and saying it's OK to lose six games? No, I'm not going to say that.

"You've got to start over, every single year. And there's no reason why we can't have the same expectations that everyone else has."

The Rams finally have a strong, confident leader in the building. If Fisher is nearly as good as he thinks he is, he'll eventually deliver a winner. In 2012, it starts with Fisher and staff maximizing the ability of every player until more talent arrives.

The long climb begins now, with the Rams starting from the bottom of the NFL. In Jeff Fisher, the Rams finally have a coach who isn't afraid of heights.

Anonymous

You could say there are more attractive situations in the NFL.

I don't know how many games the Rams will win. It's like asking me to tell you who will win the lottery. I think we can agree that this will take some time. And that Snead and Fisher need to strike it rich in the draft and free agency.

If he's going to talk like that he's not even listening to Fisher. Fisher quite rightly says they're not rebuilding and they're not. They're adding on. Apparently the Rams have more talent than Miklasz realizes.

I think he likes Fisher and wants to do his little PR share to lower expectations in season one. Either way it's silly. #1, Fisher isn't going anywhere no matter what happens. Stan hired his guy and he's going to stick by his guy if it is clear that it's circumstances that are hurting them. #2, this team clearly has more talent than Miklasz realizes--though it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't realize it, because other than a big play here or there everyone notices, all he knows about a football game is the score, as he has shown over the years. He can't tell you if a team with a good record is over-rated and really doesn't have the horses or if a team with a bad record has talent than just hasn't reached critical mass yet or is limited by some kind of circumstances (like the 2007 massive OL injuries). He don't got him a "football mind."

So he thinks the actual roster is worse off than it is.

In contrast all the coaches, if you listen to them, are making it clear they DON'T think that.

Sando was on the other day trying to tell him this stuff but he was all like "unh-hunh, unh-hunh" and it didn't sink into his brain.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I dunno. I mean, there ARE more attractive situations in the NFL, and the Rams certainly could use a boost in talent no matter how far along anyone perceives them to be at this point. And it's definitely going to take some time what with them changing the offense AGAIN, and now adding a new defensive scheme on top of it. Plus they're counting on a whole bunch of rookies and 2nd year players to execute everything, so ... yeah. It's gonna be a bit of a chore early on.

Rebuilding, remodeling, whatever. They definitely don't have the luxury of just adding a couple of key pieces to get further into the playoffs. They're still trying to get over the .500 hump.

Anonymous

X said:
Well, I dunno. I mean, there ARE more attractive situations in the NFL, and the Rams certainly could use a boost in talent no matter how far along anyone perceives them to be at this point. And it's definitely going to take some time what with them changing the offense AGAIN, and now adding a new defensive scheme on top of it. Plus they're counting on a whole bunch of rookies and 2nd year players to execute everything, so ... yeah. It's gonna be a bit of a chore early on.

Rebuilding, remodeling, whatever. They definitely don't have the luxury of just adding a couple of key pieces to get further into the playoffs. They're still trying to get over the .500 hump.

Oh, I can't agree with that. X, he;s not even listening to Fisher. Fisher thinks the Rams have talent to work with. Bernie didn't say the issue is learning schemes, he indicated it was a lack of talent.

And yeah learning 2 schemes will take time--that will have a real effect--but they DO have more players than a rebuild team, and saying it's not a rebuild team is not semantics. It's not a rebuild team. They have too much already to call it that.

What makes it worse is that I don't even believe Miklasz even thinks that--I think the truth is, he has no idea one way or another. Given that, what I think he is ACTUALLY doing is doing PR work--"managing expectations"--cause he likes Fisher.

Which is fine with me...liking Fisher...but jeesh, this was not a 2-14 team in terms of its talent level, so no one has to soften expectations to sell a coach that doesn't need selling.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:

Oh, I can't agree with that. X, he;s not even listening to Fisher. Fisher thinks the Rams have talent to work with. Bernie didn't say the issue is learning schemes, he indicated it was a lack of talent.

And yeah learning 2 schemes will take time but they DO have players and saying it's not a rebuild is not semantics. It's not. They have too much already to call it that.

What makes it worse is that I don't even believe he thinks that--I think the truth is, he has no idea. What I think he is ACTUALLY doing is doing PR work "managing expectations" cause he likes Fisher.

Miklasz is either going to sell a guy, or he's going to trash him. There's no room in the middle for real football thinking.
Really? I don't see much about my response that's debatable. I was pretty objective about it I think.

If Bernie thinks they're rebuilding (and I don't see where he said that), then I could give a shit. I already know ALL about Bernie's propensity to ebb and flow with the consensus opinion, and I'm pretty sure he'll change his tune at some point if/when the situation warrants. In short, I don't pay much attention to Bernie's long-term vision. He's just another dude who has an opinion on the Rams, and that's where it ends (for him, and for me).

I think this boils down to whether or not people think they're rebuilding. Honestly, I don't care if they are or not, and I'm not really all that invested in how people qualify or quantify that subject. I'm just gonna go ahead and embrace Cortland Finnegan's assessment of the situation.

"We're remodeling."

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Bernie should look at Detroit, who parachuted into the playoffs after a decade of crap including 0-16.

They had talent, except they were rookies and/or hurt.

So it's possible.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
They built walls and bunkers and fretted over silly matters that had little to do with game-day success.

Sounds like a certain sports writer based out of STL.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
zn said:
X said:

And yeah learning 2 schemes will take time but they DO have players and saying it's not a rebuild is not semantics. It's not. They have too much already to call it that.

What makes it worse is that I don't even believe he thinks that--I think the truth is, he has no idea. What I think he is ACTUALLY doing is doing PR work "managing expectations" cause he likes Fisher.

Miklasz is either going to sell a guy, or he's going to trash him. There's no room in the middle for real football thinking.

Really? I don't see much about my response that's debatable. I was pretty objective about it I think.

If Bernie thinks they're rebuilding (and I don't see where he said that), then I could give a shit. I already know ALL about Bernie's propensity to ebb and flow with the consensus opinion, and I'm pretty sure he'll change his tune at some point if/when the situation warrants. In short, I don't pay much attention to Bernie's long-term vision. He's just another dude who has an opinion on the Rams, and that's where it ends (for him, and for me).

I think this boils down to whether or not people think they're rebuilding. Honestly, I don't care if they are or not, and I'm not really all that invested in how people qualify or quantify that subject. I'm just gonna go ahead and embrace Cortland Finnegan's assessment of the situation.

"We're remodeling."
re·build
[ree-bild] Show IPA verb, re·built or ( Archaic ) re·build·ed; re·build·ing.
verb (used with object)
1. to repair, especially to dismantle and reassemble with new parts: to rebuild an old car.
2. to replace, restrengthen, or reinforce: to rebuild an army.
3. to revise, reshape, or reorganize: to rebuild a shattered career.

Oh yeah, I think what's happening fits every definition of a rebuild, or remodel if you want to call it that.

Talent was an issue last year, as was many other things that we've talked about ad nauseam. I agree, X, youth and learning the schemes will be a small mountain to climb. I read what zn wrote, only because it was in your quote, and I really didn't understand it as a response to what you said.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:

If Bernie thinks they're rebuilding (and I don't see where he said that), then I could give a shyte. I already know ALL about Bernie's propensity to ebb and flow with the consensus opinion, and I'm pretty sure he'll change his tune at some point if/when the situation warrants. In short, I don't pay much attention to Bernie's long-term vision. He's just another dude who has an opinion on the Rams, and that's where it ends (for him, and for me).

"We're remodeling."

The real question is not whether they're rebuilding. They're clearly not. They don't meet any definition that would hold of what a rebuilding team is. For example, in 1999 Vermeil had only 4 starters who were starters in 1996--Bruce, Carter, Farr, and Lyght. He clearly rebuilt. Fisher is just simply not in that position.

Anyway that was the issue for me. The real issue for me, and what started this, was how much talent they DO have on hand (from before the 2012 off-season).

Bernie thinks it's very little, and...he's wrong.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
X said:
zn said:
X said:

If Bernie thinks they're rebuilding (and I don't see where he said that), then I could give a shyte. I already know ALL about Bernie's propensity to ebb and flow with the consensus opinion, and I'm pretty sure he'll change his tune at some point if/when the situation warrants. In short, I don't pay much attention to Bernie's long-term vision. He's just another dude who has an opinion on the Rams, and that's where it ends (for him, and for me).

"We're remodeling."
re·build
verb (used with object)
1. to repair, especially to dismantle and reassemble with new parts: to rebuild an old car.

Oh yeah, I think what's happening fits every definition of a rebuild, or remodel if you want to call it that.

Talent was an issue last year, as was many other things that we've talked about ad nauseam. I agree, X, youth and learning the schemes will be a small mountain to climb. I read what zn wrote, only because it was in your quote, and I really didn't understand it as a response to what you said.

Dictionaries are not much use here because this is not a "dictionary" issue...the term "rebuild" in football is a jargon term, "insider language," and has its own meaning inside of football talk. Someone who had never heard of football before would have only a slim idea of what is meant in a football conversation by the term "rebuild" if all they did was read a dictionary. It's a context-specific usage.

To me a team is rebuilding when it jettisons an overwhelming majority of the previous inherited starters and makes a deliberate effort to start from scratch.

It's not hard to recognize. They tell you.

Spags said, we're rebuilding. It's a process.

Fisher said, we're not--we're trying to win now.

Which was never the topic anyway.

The issue I raised was whether Bernie recognizes how much talent the Rams already have on hand. He thinks it's little or none (and he does not think that for any reason other than this: they had a bad record in 2012. That's it. That's the wall his "thinking" hits and he stops there.)

And he's wrong about that. It has a lot more talent than you would ordinarily expect from a 2-14 team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
re·build
verb (used with object)
Ah, legalese! :lol:

Well there ya have it then. What's going on here certainly fits within one of those parameters. Honestly, and I mean HONESTLY, I don't care what we're doing as long as it works. If someone wants to call it a rebuild, then go ahead. I could care less. If someone wants to deny that's what's taking place, then go ahead. I could care less.

It would appear that any mention of what we're doing now, and how someone tries to classify it, would somehow cast a light (positive or negative) on the previous regime. That's what I see going on across the interwebs. To that I say, "Meh." That's in my rear-view now. Now I'm in Fisher & Snead's corner, so all detractors have to go through me first.

:box:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
The issue I raised was whether Bernie recognizes how much talent the Rams already have on hand. He thinks it's little or none
Well, then, he'd be wrong. But really -- did you expect anything different?

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
The issue I raised was whether Bernie recognizes how much talent the Rams already have on hand. He thinks it's little or none

Not only did I not expect different, I expected to enjoy like heck saying it again. :twisted:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
re·build
verb (used with object)
Ah, legalese! :lol:

Well there ya have it then. What's going on here certainly fits within one of those parameters. Honestly, and I mean HONESTLY, I don't care what we're doing as long as it works. If someone wants to call it a rebuild, then go ahead. I could care less. If someone wants to deny that's what's taking place, then go ahead. I could care less.

It would appear that any mention of what we're doing now, and how someone tries to classify it, would somehow cast a light (positive or negative) on the previous regime. That's what I see going on across the interwebs. To that I say, "Meh." That's in my rear-view now. Now I'm in Fisher & Snead's corner, so all detractors have to go through me first.

:box:
I don't care either, nor do I care to argue it. It is what it is to each person I guess. Onwards and upwards. Demoff, Fisher, Snead, and Kroenke are my favorite people right now. I'll go to battle with you brother.
zn, you are on my ignore list and have been for some time now, so unless you like one-sided arguments, save your fingers and your time.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, I'll be the first to say we could be looking at a rebuilt/remodeled/revamped team headed for a shocking playoff run. Now, chew on that detractors. :hehe:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Ramhusker said:
Well, I'll be the first to say we could be looking at a rebuilt/remodeled/revamped team headed for a shocking playoff run. Now, chew on that detractors. :hehe:

Let the 2012 Revenge Tour begin! Boots to Asses I say!.. Time for this team to begin kicking some ass and shutting up all those who don't believe.

GO RAMS!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Holy semantics Batman!! Whatever the Rams were/are/becoming, they sure look and feel different than the Rams of the last 5 years. Why? Not sure I can fully qualify that, but I'll give it a go.

I look at the DL and I see younger, faster, bigger and presumably stronger players. I see a LB crew who should benefit mightily from the improved DL, particularly the stud in the middle. I look at the secondary and see a good mix of young and seasoned players with undeniable skill....and there are a LOT of them.

On offense, it is a little harder to see at first. Then I look at a pic of Rodger Saffold and I barely recognize him from one year ago. He is massive. I look at the addition of Wells, and I am reminded of another GB lineman that made his way to the Rams and helped solidify an underachieving OL. I see a rookie at tailback that can absolutely change what a defense has to prepare for on 3rd downs. A healthy and motivated SJax, a QB that has a wealth of untapped talent, a young and hopefully competitive WR corp....oh, and a new kicker, are all things that make me extremely anxious and excited for this season. Whatever you want to call the Rams current state makes no difference to me. I just think they will be very competitive, and I mean THIS year.

backpain-1292835351.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
Holy semantics Batman!! Whatever the Rams were/are/becoming, they sure look and feel different than the Rams of the last 5 years. Why? Not sure I can fully qualify that, but I'll give it a go.

I look at the DL and I see younger, faster, bigger and presumably stronger players. I see a LB crew who should benefit mightily from the improved DL, particularly the stud in the middle. I look at the secondary and see a good mix of young and seasoned players with undeniable skill....and there are a LOT of them.

On offense, it is a little harder to see at first. Then I look at a pic of Rodger Saffold and I barely recognize him from one year ago. He is massive. I look at the addition of Wells, and I am reminded of another GB lineman that made his way to the Rams and helped solidify an underachieving OL. I see a rookie at tailback that can absolutely change what a defense has to prepare for on 3rd downs. A healthy and motivated SJax, a QB that has a wealth of untapped talent, a young and hopefully competitive WR corp....oh, and a new kicker, are all things that make me extremely anxious and excited for this season. Whatever you want to call the Rams current state makes no difference to me. I just think they will be very competitive, and I mean THIS year.

[ Image ]
Cheer up, man. It ain't all that bad. :tooth:

Anonymous

Faceplant said:

[ Image ]

Yeah well they will miss James Hall, who never had the speed but always had the head and Hart.

The CBs were good ones. If it were me I would call it a toss up whether to replace the present CBs with Finnegan or keep the present CBs and spend all that money on an actual hole.

They needed a DT, and anyone who coached them this year would have gotten one. But they HAD a DT in 2010 and what a difference he made.

Long is Long. JL is JL.

OL is basically going to be all guys who were there last year plus Wells, who is an upgrade cause Brown tanked.

Kendricks is no longer a rookie. Same with Salas.

Bradford is in year 3. Should be coming along.

Basically, Fisher didn't have to find a perfect fit MLB, 2 DEs, 2 safeties, most of the OL, the TE, a lot of the WRs, the qb, and the RB. He didn't have to replace the corners but it's a system/familiarity thing so what the heck.

He added to that core.

Subract all that and he would be drafting qb, MLB, 2 OTs, 2 OGs, 2 DEs, 2 safeties.

That would be rebuilding.

I don't see a "whole new team" at all, I see Fisher acting AWARE that he's in a good situtation, and adding to it. In short I see Fisher lucking into a good situation.

And...more power to him.

My only issue in this thread was that all of that is obvious yet Bernie couldn't see it even with the coach sitting there telling him to see it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
zn said:
I think Bernie is more fair in this regard than others, say JT or national pundits. But I tend to agree with you. The Rams have a lot more talent than I think most people outside of the organization realize. The problem, though, is two fold. One, the talent is generally young and inexperienced. And two, the team is learning a new offensive and defensive system. This may not be the year that the Rams rise out of the ashes, but as long as they keep accumulating talent (and they're starting to), it won't be long. I really hope they don't finish last this year, but if they do, I can honestly see a worst to first scenario next year.