Bernie: Fisher takes steep climb in stride

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
X said:
zn said:
The issue I raised was whether Bernie recognizes how much talent the Rams already have on hand. He thinks it's little or none
Well, then, he'd be wrong. But really -- did you expect anything different?
I think Bernie is more fair in this regard than others, say JT or national pundits. But I tend to agree with you. The Rams have a lot more talent than I think most people outside of the organization realize. The problem, though, is two fold. One, the talent is generally young and inexperienced. And two, the team is learning a new offensive and defensive system. This may not be the year that the Rams rise out of the ashes, but as long as they keep accumulating talent (and they're starting to), it won't be long. I really hope they don't finish last this year, but if they do, I can honestly see a worst to first scenario next year.
Yeah I think we're going to have to catch teams off guard this season. Throw in some trick plays, throw out a whole bunch of different looks, things like that. I don't think we're at the point where we can stand in front of the contenders and say, "Let's do this." Not yet anyway. Our success this year (IMO) is going to depend on how quickly the 1st and 2nd year players can adapt and how well they can execute under pressure. I'm hopeful, but guarded.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Yeah I think we're going to have to catch teams off guard this season. Throw in some trick plays, throw out a whole bunch of different looks, things like that. I don't think we're at the point where we can stand in front of the contenders and say, "Let's do this." Not yet anyway. Our success this year (IMO) is going to depend on how quickly the 1st and 2nd year players can adapt and how well they can execute under pressure. I'm hopeful, but guarded.

I disagree,here's why

2011 Season
49ers 13 - 3 - 0
Cardinals 8 - 8 - 0
Seahawks 7 - 9 - 0
Rams 2 - 14 - 0

We were literally a play away from beating the second place team last year.IMO we are the most improved team IN the division,I don't expect worst to first but I don't see worst to second as unreasonable.
We may not look like it the first 4 or so games ,and we are going to need to avoid injury,and if we were in the AFC East I'd be despondent about this year but WHO we HAVE to beat is do-able.The Cards are stuck with a QB controversy and by all reports Tavaris Jackson is beating Flynn out in Seattle.

I'd also like to add this,the Rams fan base is as hungry for success as the Rams have been bad, an energized fan base can make the Ed one of if not the most difficult places for road teams to play,we could steal a game from San Fran at home, so I hope people will excuse my irrational exuberance

Anonymous

X said:
brokeu91 said:
X said:
zn said:
The issue I raised was whether Bernie recognizes how much talent the Rams already have on hand. He thinks it's little or none
Well, then, he'd be wrong. But really -- did you expect anything different?
I think Bernie is more fair in this regard than others, say JT or national pundits. But I tend to agree with you. The Rams have a lot more talent than I think most people outside of the organization realize. The problem, though, is two fold. One, the talent is generally young and inexperienced. And two, the team is learning a new offensive and defensive system. This may not be the year that the Rams rise out of the ashes, but as long as they keep accumulating talent (and they're starting to), it won't be long. I really hope they don't finish last this year, but if they do, I can honestly see a worst to first scenario next year.

I think they're better than that. It wasn't a 2-14 team last year--that was injuries that did that to them. In terms of talent I would say this is the 2010 team+. First and 2nd year players did fine in 2010, they just didn't have enough horses after losing Clayton and with Jackson being hobbled. This team has more horses than that team.

My early guess is this is an 8-8 talent level team, and that's accounting for youth.