Behind the Grind: Jacob Harris' journey from soccer star to NFL tight end

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is a great example of what having a guy like Harris can do for your offense. Perkins knows pre-snap that he's got Harris vs 57, who is a mouth breather with zero chance in coverage.

1629056766444.png

At the snap 57 prepares himself..
1629056865554.png

Perkins stays on Harris, he knows it's there.
1629056933085.png

Harris runs by him like he's standing still. Pass incoming.
1629057004891.png

Pass complete and 57 hasn't gained a yard on him. Harris just moves at a different speed.
1629057099020.png

Great job rook. Next time hang onto the ball.
1629057157677.png

jjab360

Legend
One thing I hear in my head sometimes as I look at film is Jimmy Johnson's classic quote about dumb players. And that's not to say that Calais is a dumb player, but on this play he's not really thinking and he doesn't have awareness of wtf is going on. He's in a perfect position, to his credit, to make a huge play on the ball but he is so focused on the returner that he forgets to play the ball. Which would be understandable if Calais were a rookie.

But look at the rookie Harris. Head up and tracking the ball. Some guys just have the right stuff.

View attachment 47267

Missed opportunity there. I like Calais getting into position as the left side gunner but c'mon man! Play the ball holmes.

View attachment 47268
This is a bit of speculation on my part but different gunners may have different responsibilities. One for the ball, one for the returner, though ideally both should probably be keeping an eye out for vice versa. I've seen plenty of great special teams plays made by players who only paid attention to the returner before.

jjab360

Legend
This is a great example of what having a guy like Harris can do for your offense. Perkins knows pre-snap that he's got Harris vs 57, who is a mouth breather with zero chance in coverage.

View attachment 47280

At the snap 57 prepares himself..
View attachment 47281

Perkins stays on Harris, he knows it's there.
View attachment 47282

Harris runs by him like he's standing still. Pass incoming.
View attachment 47283

Pass complete and 57 hasn't gained a yard on him. Harris just moves at a different speed.
View attachment 47284

Great job rook. Next time hang onto the ball.
View attachment 47285
That defender was flat footed and didn't stand a chance. Tutu ran a good route and was wide open on that play as well

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is a bit of speculation on my part but different gunners may have different responsibilities. One for the ball, one for the returner, though ideally both should probably be keeping an eye out for vice versa. I've seen plenty of great special teams plays made by players who only paid attention to the returner before.
Check is to get to the ball carrier first. If he doesn't have the ball then you play the ball. Harris did it right, if he was gunner on that side in fact we were likely to pin them back deep.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Sean McVay likes what he saw from rookie Jacob Harris in preseason debut​

There may not be a Rams rookie who generated more hype this offseason than tight end Jacob Harris. The raw pass catcher out of UCF is 6-foot-5 and has 4.39 speed, making him a unique player on offense in Los Angeles. He’s going to contribute on special teams as a rookie, and while there’s still some work to do when it comes to playing tight end, he looked comfortable on offense Saturday night.

Harris impressed with four catches for 43 yards, leading the team in both departments and looking the part of an NFL receiver. But the Rams want him to be a tight end, and that involves blocking in both the passing game and rushing attack.

Although he didn’t do much of that against the Chargers, that didn’t stop him from catching the eye of Sean McVay in the loss. While McVay sees room for improvement, he liked what he saw from Harris as a receiver.

“I thought we saw a lot of good things,” McVay said after the game. “For him to be able to make some plays, I think he can learn from some things as well in terms of just cleaning it up, ball security. But I liked his ability to break tackles. You can see the catch radius. He had a nice little in-breaking route on the second down and got us about 18 yards. He did a lot of things he can learn from it. I thought, overall, a positive experience for him.”

Harris did fumble the ball after a catch, but the Rams were fortunately able to fall on it and keep possession. That’s why McVay touched on ball security for the rookie, which is something every player can work on at this point in the year. That’s especially true for Harris, who has just two years of experience as a receiver.

Harris played wideout in college and only contributed on offense for two seasons in 2019 and 2020. The Rams are transitioning him to tight end, but they moved him around the formation a bunch Saturday night, which McVay was happy to see.

If he’s going to be a full-time tight end, though, he needs to improve as a blocker and work closer to the formation.

“We moved him around a little bit. He was mostly detached from the core tonight. So what his role remains to be, his role is to be determined for us offensively but it was encouraging to see him do those types of things,” McVay said. “I expect him to be a big contributor on special teams. I know Joe (DeCamillis) and Dwayne Stukes love what he’s done. He’s got a good look in his eye. You can see he’s a player who’s excited about learning. Wes Phillips has done a nice job. I think getting him back in, having a couple weeks now to settle in and be able to do more because that tight end position involves so many intricacies, whether you’re in line or detached in the slot as a receiver like he was tonight. So looking forward to see him continue to grow.”

Harris is a raw player with plenty of room to grow, but it was an encouraging start against the Chargers.