Behind the Grind: Jacob Harris' journey from soccer star to NFL tight end

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still surprised a guy with his build and speed is not a wide-out like DK Metcalf. As a TE, I don't see how he can move linebackers around, and if he can't, then him being in the game is a dead giveaway that a pass is coming. But hey, I'm just an idiot on a couch so what do I know. Still, I'm very excited to see Harris play and I trust McVay will find the best way to use his unique talents.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm still surprised a guy with his build and speed is not a wide-out like DK Metcalf. As a TE, I don't see how he can move linebackers around, and if he can't, then him being in the game is a dead giveaway that a pass is coming. But hey, I'm just an idiot on a couch so what do I know. Still, I'm very excited to see Harris play and I trust McVay will find the best way to use his unique talents.
I don't think he's specifically going to be a TE. I could see him all over, a Jordan Reed type.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Depending on skill levels and execution, just cause you think you know what is coming doesn't always mean you can stop it. I mean if he comes in at the red zone and they know he is prime target, they still can't stop all the options. He will just stress the D more. Usually when a D gets in this predicament they go all out at the QB. This new QB is more prepared to handle that and will burn the D like Warner used to on blitzes.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Harris doesn't have the weight to be a traditional blocking tight end. But I read in a scouting report he's a very willing blocker. That's half the battle. Guys like Jared Cook and Jimmy Graham are not good blockers because its just an afterthought to them.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Harris doesn't have the weight to be a traditional blocking tight end. But I read in a scouting report he's a very willing blocker. That's half the battle. Guys like Jared Cook and Jimmy Graham are not good blockers because its just an afterthought to them.
Blocking for a player must be similar to tackling for a corner. You got to be willing to mix it up, fight and be physical. Some players just are not willing.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Exactly what I thought. He is too light for a TE but perfect weight/height to dominate as a WR.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Blocking for a player must be similar to tackling for a corner. You got to be willing to mix it up, fight and be physical. Some players just are not willing.

Thats another thing I like about Ramsey. He seems to take pride in his tackling.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Excellent short video. Really looking forward to seeing this guy in real games.

Harris has great confidence, which he should have in light of his tremendous physical skills. Off the charts height speed and jumping ability. His body adjustments to the ball are just outstanding. He can not only really go up and get the ball but CATCH it. (Unlike some other former WRs and tight ends the Rams have had.)

All that soccer he played is probably the best possible training for footwork and overall athleticism. (You can see that background in European basketball players who are really showing their skills in the NBA these days.)

Harris will have to show he can handle the physicality of the NFL game but there is no reason to think he can't. He's big enough to block and line up at tight end. All McVay's receivers have to block anyway.

Wherever he lines up he has the potential and opportunity to be a really outstanding receiver.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I love this Jacob Harris dude.

Hope he lives up to the hype and makes all of the other 31 NFL teams wish they drafted him.

OIP.0iHGqbDSJLmVScdTy1axEgHaEU

TexasRam

Legend
When life gives you a Fendi Onobun you wait a decade for your team to draft a Jacob Harris.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Must we keep bashing Marcus Peters? He hasn't been a Ram for a while now.
Is it bashing if it's the truth? I have no prob with that. The guy was a fucking matador.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's funny how Harris got to us where he did, just given his size and speed and agility. Seems like usually guys who have elite athleticism like that get snapped up some point early day two or whatever. Certainly before round 4.

And they got another crazy athlete in round 4 too in Rochelle.

Sure is nice to have a team that seems to be more prepared and smarter than most in the draft. I mean like most posters here I had some guys circled in this draft that I really wanted that I felt could make us a lot better (Weaver ahem) but have to admit their approach was excellent. Even as much as I love Weaver's game he doesn't have the upside these two guys have.

This is just a really impressive class so far. Goes way beyond Harris.

jjab360

Legend
Does anybody have video of his catches so far tonight? Unable to watch the game unfortunately

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the catch where he almost fell down I was thinking he was Koski for a second. Until he kept running. :laugh4:

But honestly I feel like this guy is always open. Even when he has a DB on him. He's really something and I can't wait to see a top QB throwing that ball up to him it's gonna magnify that element of his game.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could be mistaken, but it seemed like Harris lined up almost exclusively as a wide receiver tonight. He’s a nightmare match up on the outside for smaller DBs and it looks like McVay is gonna take full advantage of this. Call him a tight end or whatever, but it doesn’t matter because the kid is gonna be a star.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I hear in my head sometimes as I look at film is Jimmy Johnson's classic quote about dumb players. And that's not to say that Calais is a dumb player, but on this play he's not really thinking and he doesn't have awareness of wtf is going on. He's in a perfect position, to his credit, to make a huge play on the ball but he is so focused on the returner that he forgets to play the ball. Which would be understandable if Calais were a rookie.

But look at the rookie Harris. Head up and tracking the ball. Some guys just have the right stuff.

1629048892371.png

Missed opportunity there. I like Calais getting into position as the left side gunner but c'mon man! Play the ball holmes.

1629049699203.png