Beers You Like?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Oh man I used to drink Captain Morgan all the time...

Had a real bad experience with it one night, now when I touch it I almost puke... Hard liquor doesn't really agree with me much.
LOL - I can relate.

I had a real bad experience with Creme de Menthe when I was younger. I mean REAL bad. Now when I even smell a York Peppermint Patty, I go into convulsions. Can't chew gum, can't eat mints, can't even use Scope Mouthwash. Absolutely permanently scarred by that experience.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Had a real bad experience with it one night, now when I touch it I almost puke... Hard liquor doesn't really agree with me much.
LOL - I can relate.

I had a real bad experience with Creme de Menthe when I was younger. I mean REAL bad. Now when I even smell a York Peppermint Patty, I go into convulsions. Can't chew gum, can't eat mints, can't even use Scope Mouthwash. Absolutely permanently scarred by that experience.

I have a couple of those...

Peach Schnapps and Mad Dog 20/20 (not that I'd ever need to consider Mad Dog now,,, unless I became homeless maybe). If I get a whiff of either one of these,,, the memory of their smells is like an instant gag reflex. For me, their disgust was created by a night of insane drunkenness,,, When that happens, I don't think you ever get over it. Most drinkers have at least one of these too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
Can someone please explain to me some terms? American lager/dark, light (I think it just means less calories?), etc.? I'm sorry but really I'm just starting.

All I know is that Corona, Sam Adams = :tooth: , that Keystone is like the the Wal-Mart of beers, and that I think Heinekin is freakin nasty. Coors/Bud...any good?

I heard Blue Moon is good, gonna try that one of these days.

Maybe I can be of some help. A lager is a beer that is made with a lager yeast and fermented at somewhat cool temperatures - roughly 50 degrees or so. An ale is fermented at higher temperatures - roughly 70 degrees. Characteristics of a lager is that the yeast profile is generally not as pronounced or pungent. Most American craft beers are ales. Ales generally carry more flavor and fermenting at 68 - 70 takes far less cooling.

Generally speaking, it is the amount of sugars (malt) used in making the beer that will make it higher or lower in calories. Things can affect it like fermentable vs. non-fermentable sugars, original gravity compared to finishing gravity, etc. You probably don't care about any of that. A nice rich IPA (India Pale Ale) can have as many as 500 calories per 12oz. Whereas a light beer usually comes in at 100-150. I think most American lagers and Corona come in somewhere around 200-250 but that's just a guess.

Sam Adams is very similar to many American craft brews and Ales you might find in England. It is a little unique in that it is a lager rather than an ale.

All in all, the best beer is the beer you like the best. Blue Moon is made by Coors. That doesn't mean anything in particular but if you are going to try a wheat beer, IMO there are far better offerings out there on the market. If you like a light beer on a hot day, Coors light is still a decent selection. Personally, I can't stand Bud or Keystone but that's MY taste. I agree with you that Hiney is nasty. It makes an ok red beer though.

If you like Sam Adams, go out and try some craft brews. If you have a microbrewery near you, most of them will pour you small tastes of anything they make so that you can taste them for free before you buy a pint. Or they almost always have sampler trays so you can try a 2 - 4 oz sample of anything they make. That's a good way to go because for 6 or 8 bucks you can try a bunch of different types and make up your own mind.

Mmmmmm Beer good.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

LOL - I can relate.

Jim Beam Whiskey was mine. Can't even smell oak aged Tequila without getting queasy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
Angry

Have you tried Captain Morgan yet ? I prefer it with Diet Coke, but many like it with regular Coke. Way better than beer if you ask me.

If you're going to stick to beer,,, just remember, everyone's taste is different. You have to try them for yourself to know if YOU like it or not. Since you're just a young Buck,,, you've got some work to do sonny boy. :sly:

And watch what you say about Corona there Brah. :p FTR,,, it costs more than most. Maybe not as much as some of those thick beers, but you can decide if you like that kind of thing for yourself. :lmao:

Man - My wife just illustrated and edited a book about aspartame - "While Science Sleeps". One liter of diet drink containing aspartame has the same amount of methanol as a pack of cigarettes. That shit has been linked to all kinds of bad illnesses. Look for those that have Stevia or Splenda instead. Just sayin' cuz I care. :bign:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
RamFan503 said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

LOL - I can relate.

Jim Beam Whiskey was mine. Can't even smell oak aged Tequila without getting queasy.
Mine was Bailey's. I got a bottle when I was like 19...I couldn't even whiff that stuff without dry heaving for like 10 years

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Juice said:
brokeu91 said:
Draft Boulevard Wheat. Damn that's some good stuff, with a lemon, mmmmm. Too bad you can't get it outside of the Midwest. I also like Hoergaarden, which is pretty tasty too...I'm a big fan of wheat beers.

Brokeu91, Wheat beers used to be one of my faves, and it looks like you prefer the Belgian style White as opposed to the German style Wheat. Of course, I do not know that for sure, because I have never had The Draft Blvd, but Hoegarden is definitely a White. One of my favorite American Whites wsa the Celis White. I haven't been able to find it in a long time, but you guys might be able to as I am on the east coast. Unibrue's La Fin Du Monde is another good one. You might want to check that one out as well as the Blue Moon Belgian White.
I think Blue Mood is fairly good, it is a bit sweet for my taste. I'll have to try and find Unibrue or Celis White. I live in RI and they have some stupid laws about who can sell alcohol so it can be hard to find certain things here.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Selassie I said:
Angry

Have you tried Captain Morgan yet ? I prefer it with Diet Coke, but many like it with regular Coke. Way better than beer if you ask me.

If you're going to stick to beer,,, just remember, everyone's taste is different. You have to try them for yourself to know if YOU like it or not. Since you're just a young Buck,,, you've got some work to do sonny boy. :sly:

And watch what you say about Corona there Brah. :p FTR,,, it costs more than most. Maybe not as much as some of those thick beers, but you can decide if you like that kind of thing for yourself. :lmao:

No I haven't, I will..eventually. I'm trying it, you're right, like Heinekin...bleh.

And I liked Corona, it was my 1st beer!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:
Angry

Man - My wife just illustrated and edited a book about aspartame - "While Science Sleeps". One liter of diet drink containing aspartame has the same amount of methanol as a pack of cigarettes. That shit has been linked to all kinds of bad illnesses. Look for those that have Stevia or Splenda instead. Just sayin' cuz I care. :bign:

I appreciate the concern Stu... But damn, nothing else tastes as good to me. Others have shared their concerns about aspartame as well. So I've already tried everything else.

I have to have a few vises. I don't eat red meat (haven't for about 11 years) and I quit smoking cigs 3 years ago. I need my Capt & Diet just to continue to cope with what I've already given up :tooth:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:
Can someone please explain to me some terms? American lager/dark, light (I think it just means less calories?), etc.? I'm sorry but really I'm just starting.

All I know is that Corona, Sam Adams = :tooth: , that Keystone is like the the Wal-Mart of beers, and that I think Heinekin is freakin nasty. Coors/Bud...any good?

I heard Blue Moon is good, gonna try that one of these days.

Maybe I can be of some help. A lager is a beer that is made with a lager yeast and fermented at somewhat cool temperatures - roughly 50 degrees or so. An ale is fermented at higher temperatures - roughly 70 degrees. Characteristics of a lager is that the yeast profile is generally not as pronounced or pungent. Most American craft beers are ales. Ales generally carry more flavor and fermenting at 68 - 70 takes far less cooling.

Generally speaking, it is the amount of sugars (malt) used in making the beer that will make it higher or lower in calories. Things can affect it like fermentable vs. non-fermentable sugars, original gravity compared to finishing gravity, etc. You probably don't care about any of that. A nice rich IPA (India Pale Ale) can have as many as 500 calories per 12oz. Whereas a light beer usually comes in at 100-150. I think most American lagers and Corona come in somewhere around 200-250 but that's just a guess.

Sam Adams is very similar to many American craft brews and Ales you might find in England. It is a little unique in that it is a lager rather than an ale.

All in all, the best beer is the beer you like the best. Blue Moon is made by Coors. That doesn't mean anything in particular but if you are going to try a wheat beer, IMO there are far better offerings out there on the market. If you like a light beer on a hot day, Coors light is still a decent selection. Personally, I can't stand Bud or Keystone but that's MY taste. I agree with you that Hiney is nasty. It makes an ok red beer though.

If you like Sam Adams, go out and try some craft brews. If you have a microbrewery near you, most of them will pour you small tastes of anything they make so that you can taste them for free before you buy a pint. Or they almost always have sampler trays so you can try a 2 - 4 oz sample of anything they make. That's a good way to go because for 6 or 8 bucks you can try a bunch of different types and make up your own mind.

Mmmmmm Beer good.

I totally didn't see this, but thanks for this. Now it makes sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:
Angry

I appreciate the concern Stu... But damn, nothing else tastes as good to me. Others have shared their concerns about aspartame as well. So I've already tried everything else.

I have to have a few vises. I don't eat red meat (haven't for about 11 years) and I quit smoking cigs 3 years ago. I need my Capt & Diet just to continue to cope with what I've already given up :tooth:

I get yuh man. I've had the drink you are talking about and along with (I think) it is Malibu Rum and Diet Coke - for some reason that god awful diet taste works in those drinks. I just can't do aspartame ever since my wife went through all that info in the book. Besides - She'd holler at me.