Barwin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I feel like Ejuan Price could do what Barwin did last year given the same number of snaps. I'd keep his number in case of injury, but if he signs somewhere else, no big deal IMO.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Barwin was in a unique position last season to be needed by the Rams.

He was released because of his cap number by the Eagles but also because his performance stats didn't match his monetary numbers.

This year he is older and he already did his job of teaching the younger kids the linebacker positions for our new 3-4 D.

We don't need him like we needed him last year.
He was also nicked up.
I don't really see him signing anywhere else but it's a possibility.

If we do sign him it would have to be at vet minimum anyway.

He is still worth vet minimum as a situational pass rusher but that's about it. (IMO).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He struggled just as badly as Quinn on the contain through at least the first half the season. I'd rather see the Rams go younger. Get an edge guy who can blindside it up and use Ebu for next year on the left side to replace Barwin.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IF Conner Barwin continues to play he will enter his 10th NFL season in 2018. No doubt in anyone minds that CB's $$ value to NFL teams is trending downward & the sun is setting on a outstanding NFL career. CB is no longer the player he was when he played in the 2014 Pro Bowl. CB played for us last season for a decent price of 3.5 million.The knee injury along with the broken arm hurt his overall performance in 2017.

This 2018 UFA veteran OSLB'er FA'cy market was not very good. Plus CB has not been signed back thus far in 2018. The Minimum Salary Benefit Rule may become very useful for CB who most likely is looking for a job & SB ring. Rams will be looking to minimize their cap dollars. CB sure fits that category. But will CB play for a cost of the Econo Minimum Vet $$$ ?

CB is no longer a real pass rushing threat so teams looking for pass rusher would not be interested. His best talents & skills that he might be able to deliver on will be in a 34 D is @ OLB'er Strong Side on running downs (if healthy). He could still be a good veteran leader to plug in with so many younger LB'ers the Rams stand to have on the roster now with the loss of starting veterans Ogletree & Quinn. Snead is sure to add a couple of rookie speed rushers for both sides to go with Ebukam & Longacre. Barwin can be a veteran back up for one more season.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
According to PFF, Barwin rated out as a bottom 3 Edge player last year (I'm doing this from memory so could be off but definitely bottom dwelling). I'd rather the young guys got a chance. Not to mention, we are pretty darn cash strapped.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wouldn't mind seeing him back at vet minimum. He's a high character vet who knows the defense. Could help mentor the younger guys. Probably can't play snaps like a starter. I think Ebukam would still get his opportunities. The one thing I worry about young guys is mistakes leading to big runs.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I really hate the idea of having two completely inexperienced players on the outside. Contain is a big part of Wades defense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I really hate the idea of having two completely inexperienced players on the outside. Contain is a big part of Wades defense.

Agreed but it's unavoidable tbh. Also the contain by the "vets" last year was effin terrible, particularly over the first half of the season. Even later on it, when things got better, it never became a strength of the defense. Big part of the equation on why those dudes had to go tbh.

Rams knew the FA class sucked going in at not only OLB & ILB but CB as well and their moves demonstrate that. I believe they planned all along on adding some young legs at LB through the draft. There is a lot of depth in this draft I mean just at OLB in that round 3 range you have guys like Nwosu, Okoronkwo, Armstrong, Holland, etc., etc. Having their LB coach positioned there with the LB workouts at the combine was no mistake lol.

While I do remain a little concerned with OLB, I have faith they can make it work. Bigger question in my mind keeps going back to the OL, where I really wish they would sign Havenstein at least, would make me feel a lot better about next year's offseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If your going to sign big stars, your going to have to pay big contracts so you have to cut in other places. Appears the Rams ER/OLB'er cadre will be the economy priced unit. (y)

I do not rate ER/OLB Matt Longacre as inexperienced. Matt has been a active Ram since 2015 season. Matt is entering his 4th season & also carried the majority of the workload for the first half of the 2017 season @ the weak - side ER post & played in 14 games in 2017. He has 25 NFL gms under his belt & while not as flashy as Quinn in the pass rush but his outside containment & overall good performance was better than Quinn. So I have no issues with ML as one of our two starters on the wings.Carlos Thompson started a gm for Wade last season & will be entering his third season. There is also ER Garrett Sickels & Ejuan Price in relief.

Wade's first drafted OLB'er was Samson Ebukam & its obvious that Wade really likes what SB brings. SB got a very late start last season SB was injured very early in TC & did not practice until the last week before the regular season began. SB played in only one pre season game. SB played in all 17 Rams games & saw plenty of action. Yes SB showed a ton of butterflies in his play but if he can remain healthy this TC & pre season he should settle down & be better than most believe. SB is a fine young man & I expect him to surprise us this season. SB had more tackles than the great starting ER Rob Quinn did, this was done in relief of Conner Barwin.

I am looking for Snead to add some prospects like Jeff Holland, Og Okoronkwo, Durance Armstrong & Shaquem Griffin in the draft.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Also the contain by the "vets" last year was effin terrible, particularly over the first half of the season.

On a positive note; what was refreshing was that usually after the first couple of disastrous series on defense, adjustments were made and then contain became at least average. The game against the Jaguars is but one example. Hooray for Wade Phillips!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On a positive note; what was refreshing was that usually after the first couple of disastrous series on defense, adjustments were made and then contain became at least average. The game against the Jaguars is but one example. Hooray for Wade Phillips!!!

Are you speaking of one of the best active walking around mass storage brain bank units that's filled with vast NFL defensive knowledge ? I really wonder how large his brain vault is in the area of "making adjustments" ?:thinking:

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Honestly, not too worried about him leaving, but this screams, “...AND BRING YOUR PLAYBOOK!”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
His best talents & skills that he might be able to deliver
Instruction to a rookie, kinda like a player coach???
He could still be a good veteran leader to plug in with so many younger LB'ers the Rams stand to have on the roster now with the loss of starting veterans Ogletree & Quinn.
I'd agree to an extent...
I am looking for Snead to add some prospects like
Lorenzo Carter for me....couple others...maybe that guy Sweat outta FSU. Oh yeah....this guy tore up the Senior Bowl
Kemoko Turay
http://www.draftblaster.com/2018-nfl-draft/nfl-mock-draft/kemoko-turay-olb-rutgers/
Scouting Report: Kemoko Turay
2018 NFL Mock Draft
DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Rutgers Position: Outside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6-4 Weight: 252 lbs Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:
A raw, but extremely talented outside linebacker / situational pass rusher that didn’t start playing varsity football until his senior year in high school. Moving forward, his skill set is evident, with excellent edge rushing ability. He has also shown flashes when rushing from the inside, and is a willing and capable tackler. Turay’s value in the draft will be primarily determined by how will he can show that he can drop in coverage.

Video Highlights:

My concerns lie in....if a vet can't really play...isn't a huge name or presence...will a rookie listen??? Will he command that respect??
I wouldn't mind seeing him back at vet minimum. He's a high character vet who knows the defense. Could help mentor the younger guys
I would think he'd be perfect for that role...That's why I thought he was here....

Ram65

Legend
Honestly I was happy about the signing but in reality he was pretty marginal for us. I think our younger guys can offer as much if not more and they are already bought and paid for.

Im sorry someone convince me...he seemed slow and a liability out there against the pass. I would rather see what the rookie last year could do. Ebukam?

Yeah, not sure what I'm missing here. Barwin was barely adequate last year, got hurt, and now is a year older...
Don't really see why he needs to come back

Barwin was run at, or run over last season. He wasn’t very good.

He was too slow to get to the QB and was in no man's land too often.

All of the above X

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If we end up keeping Barwin, it'll be for camp and the preseason as a mentor. Once the season starts, he probably would be inactive most of the time on game day in favor of the youth movement unless injuries dictate otherwise. Vet minimum is probably all that will be offered.