Backup for Brown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Agree on that when compared to the GIRTHY Jamon Brown. Donnal can play OG in a pinch but is really a over 6-6 310 to 315 pound RT.

I believe a Blue Chip 2018 LT prospect is a big need so Andre Whitworth could provide a talented young rookie a perfect OL'er to mirror from so Goff can have the same comfort in the future as he has now with Whitworth. Andrew Donnal will never be that.Kromer may still desire to keep Havenstein tune up as a two post player RG/RT if need be. A new rookie OT could make that possible if something was to happen to Brown @ RG next season where Havenstein could slip inside if mandated. I would also hope Snead/McVay could resign UFA center John Sullivan for another 2 seasons (2018/2019).

I am guessing CB in round 1, hopefully after a trade down to get another 3rd rounder.... then get OT prospect to groom in the 3rd. Then get a beefy ILB.....Wait why are we talking draft in week 5? This isn't your Fisher Rams anymore.... we can wait till Feb to start talking draft!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
After I listened to McVay's press conference it sounded like Brown would play today.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Andrew Donnal would be next man up I think they would go with him over Blythe, however, hoping Brown can play because, it's much better for the cohesiveness of the offensive line and Jamon Brown is coming off his best game IMO, however, whoever OL Coach Aaron Kromer puts out there, I'm confident in.

fearsomefour

Legend
I presume it will be Donnal. Blythe is a center, don't think he'd be a better option than Donnal at guard. Plus they have to have him ready in the event Sully has a setback.

The way Brown has been playing, I'd also presume it's a pretty big dropoff to Donnal. Donnal is not nearly as physical as Brown is.
Brown has risen to being solid. Which is an improvement. All the credit in the world to him for that. But, he still gets beaten in the pass game. Goff isent holding the ball this year as much and has rolled out of pressure coming from that right side.
Donnal may or may not be a drop off.

fearsomefour

Legend
I was initially counting on a CB for our top draft pick in 2018, but it's starting to size up like it will be a very strong draft for OT's. Trey Adams is an interesting prospect, but doubtful he's available where we draft. DraftSite.com has us penciled in for Oklahoma's Orlando Brown at the moment, there should be a good one where we draft, maybe even if we get the 32'nd pick. jmo.
A really strong draft for LT to me means CB 1 and LT 2. Particularly if Whitworth plans on playing his contract out.

fearsomefour

Legend
I am sure that Andrew Donnal is the top reserve for both OG positions. I would think he is technically sound but you would have to conclude that he is not close to what Jamon Brown is today physically.

Donnal was the better right OG last season but after the hip surgery in January & a very long layoff from the field I would not want to see Donnal going up against this Seattle front seven without even a warm up game. This offense would take a hit if JB is not able to start.
Ehhh. Maybe.
Brown has been solid.

nighttrain

Legend
True, but Watt gave damn near everyone problems. He's super athletic and smart enough to learn about his position with the help of Whitworth and Kromer, but he's raw at this point. I could picture him falling or rising, depending on his Combine.

I like Adams and Brown, but they're likely going higher than we pick.
Snead's history of trading up, good at it
train

fearsomefour

Legend
His pass-blocking is always been pretty good.
Disagree strongly here.
He was worst pass blocker on the team last year...yes....I would say worse than Robinson given Grob was usually matched up with a team best rusher. He has been good at times in the run game.
He is still a risky prop in the pass game.
Much, much improved this year so far though. He still gets beaten though. The scheme has helped him I think. Also, defenders seen to have an easy time getting his hands off of them pass rushing. Usually when this happens he gives up and angle and is beaten.
But, he has improved and hopefully will continue. Nothing woukd make me happier than heading into the draft and not having to consider finding a lineman to start right away.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Is that a PFF score?

The games I've reviewed he's always been pretty solid at pass blocking.
But if you're between Barnes and an injured Havenstein playing in a Boudreau and Boras offense?

I'm not sure I would take that as the be-all-end-all of Brown's pass-blocking ability.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brown has risen to being solid. Which is an improvement. All the credit in the world to him for that. But, he still gets beaten in the pass game. Goff isent holding the ball this year as much and has rolled out of pressure coming from that right side.
Donnal may or may not be a drop off.

Where you get dropoff is physicality. Run game primarily, although at this point he might be noticeably better at pass blocking than Donnal as well.