Back Pain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
bluecoconuts said:
I have back problems, had to try different types of mattresses and toppers, I even put couch pillows on my bed once.... Latex, gel, and memory foam (just straight up) doesn't work on me, always makes it worse...

I had to get an innerspring with some gel and memory foam on top, and a pillow top... It works out pretty well though, I've been happy and it has helped reduce the back pain. Not totally but it's made it better.

That's awful....I've met people over the years that have chronic back pain and nothing gives them total relief.

I'm not a doctor.....but I'd suggest vodka.

Do you sleep on your back, side or stomach? I mean when you lay down to sleep what position are you in?

Many people lay down on their side with their arm up and under their pillow. Others sleep on their stomach with a leg, or knee up at their waist, others sleep flat on their back.

S what do you do? I ask because that has a major impact on what you should sleep on believe it or not.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well if I'm a side-sleeper, then what should I be sleeping on?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:

Your wife says, "your side of the bed"! :sly:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I've gotta pick your brain Les about a new mattress. I've had my back go out numerous times over the years but hasn't been doing it as much since I gained weight, go figure. Wife and I both love a very firm bed and like El Jug, I can be a cheap bastard. :sly: But I am willing to spend a $1000 on a bed that will help me sleep better. Any suggestions in that price range, king size, so I know that narrows my choices in that price range.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
X said:

Sheesh. You should see the 1/4" of the bed I get as it is now.
She's a small woman, but she fuckin' SPRAWLS out when she goes to sleep.

bluecoconuts

Legend
LesBaker said:
bluecoconuts said:
I have back problems, had to try different types of mattresses and toppers, I even put couch pillows on my bed once.... Latex, gel, and memory foam (just straight up) doesn't work on me, always makes it worse...

I had to get an innerspring with some gel and memory foam on top, and a pillow top... It works out pretty well though, I've been happy and it has helped reduce the back pain. Not totally but it's made it better.

That's awful....I've met people over the years that have chronic back pain and nothing gives them total relief.

I'm not a doctor.....but I'd suggest vodka.

Do you sleep on your back, side or stomach? I mean when you lay down to sleep what position are you in?

Many people lay down on their side with their arm up and under their pillow. Others sleep on their stomach with a leg, or knee up at their waist, others sleep flat on their back.

S what do you do? I ask because that has a major impact on what you should sleep on believe it or not.

Usually stomach or side. On my stomach I usually do bring one of my knees up.. On my side I sometimes try to put a pillow between my legs, I heard that's supposed to be better.. I try anything though, but often times on my back, on lots of different types of mattresses and pillows sleeping on my back would have me waking up with a major headache.... I've had back trauma which is where most of my issues come from... Before I got a new mattress I would even sleep on the floor or dog bed to try to get temporary relief. It was pretty bad.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
El Juggernauto said:
Anyone in here good with back pain issues?

Saturday morning at about 7am I was watching TV with my kids. I suddenly sneezed very violently and screamed in agony due to severe pain in my lower back (I tend to have a high pain threshold but this was painful) it hurt pretty bad for about 10 minutes then seemed to go away. I went about my day and come about 6pm it started to hurt again and hasn't left since. I can sleep, I can't sit comfortably or even lay down comfortably. It's right at the base of my back where it meets the ass, it also hurts the back of my left leg. I'm only 28 so I wouldn't think it would be to serious. But alieve isn't working for shyte. Any suggestions?

Is the pain dead center in your lower back or a little to the left or right where your hip joins your spine? If it's off-center like mine is when it goes out there are some stretching exercises that you can do that will help out a lot.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ramhusker said:
I've gotta pick your brain Les about a new mattress. I've had my back go out numerous times over the years but hasn't been doing it as much since I gained weight, go figure. Wife and I both love a very firm bed and like El Jug, I can be a cheap bastard. :sly: But I am willing to spend a $1000 on a bed that will help me sleep better. Any suggestions in that price range, king size, so I know that narrows my choices in that price range.

In any price range I suggest memory foam or latex.....though in that price range latex is out of the equation.

Firmer is not better despite popular belief. If you sleep flat on your back all night it's fine, otherwise it's not. If your a little heavy it'll make it even worse. Pressure relief is critical to deep restorative sleep.

Never skimp on your sleep surface. Ever. It's be of the very worst things you can do to yourself.

PM me and I can offer whatever help I can.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
Ramhusker said:
X said:

Slowly slide your hand down towards her butt and touch her third point of contact in an aggressive fashion.She will move over in a hurry lol. :hehe:

Works every time and if there is a problem just say you didn't know you were sleeping.

If your a side sleeper get something pretty soft, especially with your shoulders.....I saw the pic of you and when a person is as big on the top of their frame as you are it's important. If you don't you'll wake up stiff with some pain and not well rested.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
LesBaker said:
Ramhusker said:

In any price range I suggest memory foam or latex.....though in that price range latex is out of the equation.

Firmer is not better despite popular belief. If you sleep flat on your back all night it's fine, otherwise it's not. If your a little heavy it'll make it even worse. Pressure relief is critical to deep restorative sleep.

Never skimp on your sleep surface. Ever. It's be of the very worst things you can do to yourself.

I know you shouldn't skimp on the sleeping surface but I do have to go firm because a soft bed is one thing that does make my back hurt. Anytime I travel and end up on a bed that I sink into at all, I wake up miserable. I'd love to sleep on my back more ( my best sleep I think) but I end up snoring and getting an elbow in the middle of the night so I usually sleep on my side(s) How much do you think I need to spend to sleep well?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ramhusker said:
LesBaker said:
Ramhusker said:

I know you shouldn't skimp on the sleeping surface but I do have to go firm because a soft bed is one thing that does make my back hurt. Anytime I travel and end up on a bed that I sink into at all, I wake up miserable. I'd love to sleep on my back more ( my best sleep I think) but I end up snoring and getting an elbow in the middle of the night so I usually sleep on my side(s) How much do you think I need to spend to sleep well?

Shoot me a PM and I will give ya some tips on how to do it right.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Thing that helps when my back does that is to lay flat on my back on the floor and meditate

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Ramhusker said:
X said:

One good turn gets most of the blankets.
Emo Phillips :rofl:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Ramhusker said:
LesBaker said:
Ramhusker said:

What kind of snorer are you? Ask your wife.

I had sleep apnea, which caused me to "stop" breathing at times. Drove my wife crazy waiting for me to breath again. I couldn't sleep on my back either, though I always gravitated that way. Finally, my doctor sent me to the sleep center at the local Med Center where I spent the night while they did tests on my sleep patterns. They recommended a device that's basically a fan that blows air through a tube and into a breathing mask that you wear at night. Health Insurance does cover this.

Everything changed when I started wearing one of those. I slept better (the apnea kept interrupting my sleep). I used to wake at least once a night and need to pee, but that stopped too. I had forgotten how cool it was to sleep clear through the night.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if your back problems are because snoring keeps you from sleeping in the best position, you might want to look at that. Your wife will thank you as well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ram Quixote said:
Ramhusker said:
LesBaker said:
Ramhusker said:

What kind of snorer are you? Ask your wife.

I had sleep apnea, which caused me to "stop" breathing at times. Drove my wife crazy waiting for me to breath again. I couldn't sleep on my back either, though I always gravitated that way. Finally, my doctor sent me to the sleep center at the local Med Center where I spent the night while they did tests on my sleep patterns. They recommended a device that's basically a fan that blows air through a tube and into a breathing mask that you wear at night. Health Insurance does cover this.

Everything changed when I started wearing one of those. I slept better (the apnea kept interrupting my sleep). I used to wake at least once a night and need to pee, but that stopped too. I had forgotten how cool it was to sleep clear through the night.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if your back problems are because snoring keeps you from sleeping in the best position, you might want to look at that. Your wife will thank you as well.

Sleep apnea is not much fun.....good thing you got it taken care of.