Back Pain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Anyone in here good with back pain issues?

Saturday morning at about 7am I was watching TV with my kids. I suddenly sneezed very violently and screamed in agony due to severe pain in my lower back (I tend to have a high pain threshold but this was painful) it hurt pretty bad for about 10 minutes then seemed to go away. I went about my day and come about 6pm it started to hurt again and hasn't left since. I can sleep, I can't sit comfortably or even lay down comfortably. It's right at the base of my back where it meets the ass, it also hurts the back of my left leg. I'm only 28 so I wouldn't think it would be to serious. But alieve isn't working for shit. Any suggestions?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
El Juggernauto said:
Anyone in here good with back pain issues?

Saturday morning at about 7am I was watching TV with my kids. I suddenly sneezed very violently and screamed in agony due to severe pain in my lower back (I tend to have a high pain threshold but this was painful) it hurt pretty bad for about 10 minutes then seemed to go away. I went about my day and come about 6pm it started to hurt again and hasn't left since. I can sleep, I can't sit comfortably or even lay down comfortably. It's right at the base of my back where it meets the ass, it also hurts the back of my left leg. I'm only 28 so I wouldn't think it would be to serious. But alieve isn't working for shit. Any suggestions?
Sounds like a severe spasm causing sciatic nerve inflammation.

With back pain going down a leg it can be serious,I'd try a bone cruncher first if he can't get you relief I'd go see an MD.

Also as soon as you start feeling better get your abs in shape, most back problems that don't include fractures are caused by muscle imbalance .

That'll be $100 cash ,or a brewski at a Rams game :ww:

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha, I'm a 300lb man, the abs went out the window long ago. Once I got out of the military I blew up like a parade balloon. Lol but your on for the beer. I was just talkin to my buddy trying to find out what game to go to this year. I try and do one a year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You need to find a way to get the muscle to go from a state of tension to relaxation and you'll be fine. Go get a massage. The legit kind not the happy ending kind.

It'll probably fix it right up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've had that happen to me too - a lot. Sneeze, twist the wrong way, etc. You just clamped down on a nerve and it lit your back up. Hurts like a sumbitch, I know. That used to happen to me a lot until I got a Tempurpedic bed. I never thought it would make much of a difference, but it absolutely did. My back used to go out at least twice a year, and it hasn't gone out in over 5 years now. It's a great bed except for the fact that it gets kinda hot, but I got a gel-pad to put over the mattress and that cleared that problem up.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
X said:
I've had that happen to me too - a lot. Sneeze, twist the wrong way, etc. You just clamped down on a nerve and it lit your back up. Hurts like a sumbitch, I know. That used to happen to me a lot until I got a Tempurpedic bed. I never thought it would make much of a difference, but it absolutely did. My back used to go out at least twice a year, and it hasn't gone out in over 5 years now. It's a great bed except for the fact that it gets kinda hot, but I got a gel-pad to put over the mattress and that cleared that problem up.

Ya I sell those at work. We have the gel memory foam, but I heard its still a little on the warm side. I do need a new bed, but I am a cheap bastard. Even with my discount, it's more than I wanna pay. Lol my wife complains but if she wants a new bed, she's gonna make plenty of payments for it

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
El Juggernauto said:
X said:
Ya I sell those at work. We have the gel memory foam, but I heard its still a little on the warm side. I do need a new bed, but I am a cheap bastard. Even with my discount, it's more than I wanna pay. Lol my wife complains but if she wants a new bed, she's gonna make plenty of payments for it
It's a good investment. And as you get older, that back is gonna go out more and more.
Just. You. Watch. :huh:

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
LesBaker said:
You need to find a way to get the muscle to go from a state of tension to relaxation and you'll be fine. Go get a massage. The legit kind not the happy ending kind.

It'll probably fix it right up.

Ha I'm a simple country guy from a town with only a couple thousand people. I don't even know that this kind of place exist around me. Lol if there ain't one at Walmart, then it doesn't exist.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
El Juggernauto said:
Haha, I'm a 300lb man, the abs went out the window long ago. Once I got out of the military I blew up like a parade balloon. Lol but your on for the beer. I was just talkin to my buddy trying to find out what game to go to this year. I try and do one a year.
I know you laughed and I don't mean to preach, but that belly puts a lot of stress on your back, so if you don't want the future to be worse , ya better shed some pounds and get those abs in shape.
I did just that 23 years ago and avoided surgery, my leg was partially paralyzed,it took two tries to move it .
Hope you get to feelin better.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Ya, it's odd, I was about 300 when I got out of high school. I dropped to 180 to join the Navy. You could have told me you had the worlds most delicious fried chicken and I wouldn't have tried it. Now I can't seem to find that same motivation or discipline. I still will go to the gym, but I can't seem to eat right.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
El Juggernauto said:
Ya, it's odd, I was about 300 when I got out of high school. I dropped to 180 to join the Navy. You could have told me you had the worlds most delicious fried chicken and I wouldn't have tried it. Now I can't seem to find that same motivation or discipline. I still will go to the gym, but I can't seem to eat right.
I hear ya on that. I can't get one pound below 240. I've tried to eat right, but then I get the urge to scarf down a lasagna, and I just fuckin' do it. lol. I only workout so I don't get one pound ABOVE 240.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
X said:
El Juggernauto said:
I hear ya on that. I can't get one pound below 240. I've tried to eat right, but then I get the urge to scarf down a lasagna, and I just freakin' do it. lol. I only workout so I don't get one pound ABOVE 240.

haha i look at it like, once i cant bench press my weight, i'll lose it. Until then, enjoy. But i know i do need to do something, I just cant find a diet that i can get on board with. I don't wanna starve myself and don't know enough about nutrition.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
El Juggernauto said:
X said:
El Juggernauto said:
I hear ya on that. I can't get one pound below 240. I've tried to eat right, but then I get the urge to scarf down a lasagna, and I just freakin' do it. lol. I only workout so I don't get one pound ABOVE 240.

haha i look at it like, once i cant bench press my weight, i'll lose it. Until then, enjoy. But i know i do need to do something, I just cant find a diet that i can get on board with. I don't wanna starve myself and don't know enough about nutrition.
Fit for Life is a good diet. I found it to be pretty easy to follow the last time I did it.
I just don't feel like doing it again. At least not yet.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fit_for_Life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fit_for_Life</a>

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
All good tips. The massage is likely to ease the discomfort for now. It works for me when I sneeze wrong - and yes - many people have that happen. Thor's advice is what my doctor told me. In order to prevent back pain, you have to make the muscles around it stronger and more flexible. Sucks but it's true. I have a Tempurpedic. They work pretty well unless your house gets real cold - then they're hard as a rock. Still - even when rock hard, they're better than most.

Another tip is to use some turmeric and ginger in your cooking. They are natural anti-inflammatories.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

Tell me more. Does it make the top of the bed a little cushier too?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
X said:

Tell me more. Does it make the top of the bed a little cushier too?
It does, but not a whole lot. It just has like a kind of quilt pattern on it to provide small little pockets of space between your body and the bed, and it's full of gel to dissipate heat. It's not a 100% solution, but it did make it less hot.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If you need advice on bedding and mattresses I'm your guy.....I'm in the biz. Gel will make you sleep cooler.....and the best thing to sleep on is latex.....but tempur is an excellent product. Yu may want to look into buying a mattress pad made with a fabric called Outlast.....it's solve the heat problem completely.

As far as diet Ill say this. Humans are the only species on this planet that do not eat what they evolved on. Look at what's happened the last 60 or so years.....that will reveal part of the answer. People eat way to much bread and potatoes and do it way to late in the day. Those carbs take several hours to digest and just end up turning into sugar in your bloodstream while your sleeping making you heavier and weaker. It's easy to make better choices that can make a gigantic impact on your health without sacrificing too much in the way of enjoyment. I know people that take better care of their car than they do of themselves. It's terrible.

I'm going to be 52 this September. I'm 5'10" and I weigh 183 and I think my body fat is about 12 or 13 percent. I take the fitness stuff pretty seriously because I smoked for over 30 years.....I owe myself as much as I can give myself.....so I get in the gym and go hard at it and I eat wisely.

It isn't hard to do. One just has to look within.....and realize the only thing that you will have for your whole life.....is you.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I am also in the business. You sell mattresses or all kinds of home furnishings?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
El Juggernauto said:
I am also in the business. You sell mattresses or all kinds of home furnishings?

Just mattresses.....though I have a lot of experience in the furniture biz. Both retail and wholesale as a rep. Though there is a 11 plus year gap where I had a business producing events but that was crushed by the economy.

I'm in SWFL.....we have two stores in Naples and will be expanding into Ft. Myers and up to Sarasota. The plan is 7 or so stores.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I have back problems, had to try different types of mattresses and toppers, I even put couch pillows on my bed once.... Latex, gel, and memory foam (just straight up) doesn't work on me, always makes it worse...

I had to get an innerspring with some gel and memory foam on top, and a pillow top... It works out pretty well though, I've been happy and it has helped reduce the back pain. Not totally but it's made it better.