Austin flashes big-play potential/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Austin flashes big-play potential
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ba79dc2a-ba45-5da7-8e61-9a83f6d44cd3.html

LOS ANGELES • For those hoping new Rams offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti can bring out the best in Tavon Austin, play No. 2 in Friday’s preseason opener against Oakland was a tantalizing tease.

Austin caught a quick screen from quarterback Nick Foles, got loose thanks to a block from wide receiver Kenny Britt, and was off to the races. He gained 35 yards before the Raiders brought him down.

After the Rams’ 18-3 loss, coach Jeff Fisher said: “That’s one of Tavon’s finest since he’s been here. That was real impressive.”

Torry Holt thought so, too.

“That ‘smoke’ was nice,” Holt said. “That wasn’t bad at all.”

The Rams refer to the quick-hitting wide receiver screen play as a “smoke.” Holt, the former Rams wide receiver great, did color commentary Friday as part of the Rams’ television broadcast team.

He was in the locker room afterward, talking football with Austin. And Austin enjoys any time he can get with Holt, one of the stars of the Greatest Show on Turf team.

“He just comes to me, tells me a couple things I should work on,” Austin said. “I definitely try to put it in my game and keep on going. He’s one of the greats. Hearing it from him, him just seeing the fire in me, makes me want to go there and do it some more.”

When it comes to electrifying plays, the Rams definitely would like to see Austin do it some more. The No. 8 overall pick in the 2013 draft has had several highlight moments in his first two seasons with the Rams. Just not enough.

Last year, his production as a receiver dropped from 40 catches, 418 yards, and four touchdowns as a rookie to 31 catches, 242 yards, and zero TDs.

Cignetti, who has replaced Brian Schottenheimer as Rams offensive coordinator, is trying to change all that.

“When you watch him out there, he’s becoming an outstanding route runner, from his releases, top of the route ... getting tremendous separation,” Cignetti said. “I’m very excited about Tavon.”

Cignetti has had only a few media sessions since taking over as coordinator, but the Tavon topic always comes up.

“You know what? It’s a point of emphasis to get everybody open,” Cignetti said. “But Tavon, because he has a certain skill set, there are certain things you would like to do with him to put him in a position (to make plays).”

Austin admits his route running wasn’t where it needed to be when he came into the NFL after dominating Big 12 defenses at West Virginia. But he believes he has come a long way in that area.

“I definitely feel like my route running’s gotten so much better,” Austin said. “That’s the No. 1 thing. My mental game got stronger. It’s not really about the physical thing, that’s not really the problem with me.

“For me, it was being mentally challenged, and for the most part just being where you need to be when the quarterback’s ready to deliver the ball.”

When it came to Friday’s big play, there was nothing too complicated. Without running downfield, the receiver turns, waits for the throw, and then tries to make people miss. In fairness to Austin, the blocking simply wasn’t there on many similar plays he has run in the past. But it was on Friday.

“Kenny Britt made a great block that sprung it open,” Austin said. “I had some big blockers down the field, made a couple moves, and from there I let my speed take over.”

He added with a smile, “I hit the gas a little.”

Austin says he has a good relationship with Cignetti. They talk about the playbook, and Austin gives him feedback on what he likes or doesn’t like.

“And we go from there,” Austin said.

Austin also seems to be hitting it off with Foles.

“Tremendous guy,” Austin said. “Not even talking about on the field. Off the field, too. He comes and talks to us. He’ll be chilling with the wide receivers. Just talking to us, seeing what we like, what we don’t like.

“And we aren’t always talking about football. We talk about random stuff. You know, basketball, anything. I really do like Nick Foles.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Potential? We already know he can make big plays.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just out of curiousity, why do these articles say Los Angeles at the beginning?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Just out of curiousity, why do these articles say Los Angeles at the beginning?

I assume it's because the team is staying in that area to practice with the Cowboys in Oxnard and JT has followed them.

RamzFanz

Damnit
First he got the block, then he stopped 3 defenders in their tracks with a move, threaded between two Rams, then he goes afterburner. What's weird though is he went out of bounds with a nice gap available for him to exploit and go all the way with a move.

Tavon_Austin.0.gif

Tre Mason tells number 24 to take a nap.

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
It's amazing what can happen when we actually have a blocker or two for him on a screen.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha, how many times did tavon receive a ball like that in his career surrounded by 3 defenders because every player whiffed on their block.

V3

Hall of Fame
First he got the block, then he stopped 3 defenders in their tracks with a move, threaded between two Rams, then he goes afterburner. What's weird though is he went out of bounds with a nice gap available for him to exploit and go all the way with a move.

Tavon_Austin.0.gif

There's no reason to even try to go all the way in preseason. Not only does it increase the risk of injury, it takes away snaps for the offense to get more practice. I was happy he went out of bounds.

V3

Hall of Fame
We already knew Tavon could do this kind of stuff. He's basically just a RB that starts with the ball on the outside. What we need to see is him running good routes and catching the ball down the field; not at the LOS.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Tavon_Austin.0.gif

Big Jamon Brown 68 out there getting in the way of people too.

RamzFanz

Damnit
We already knew Tavon could do this kind of stuff. He's basically just a RB that starts with the ball on the outside. What we need to see is him running good routes and catching the ball down the field; not at the LOS.

I personally don't care how he does it. We have plenty of downfield talent.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no reason to even try to go all the way in preseason. Not only does it increase the risk of injury, it takes away snaps for the offense to get more practice. I was happy he went out of bounds.
Yeah I can tell he let off the throttle smart move by him no doubt if that was regular season he would have went for it