Austin Davis not the answer for Rams at QB/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Hill may not be as mobile but he has much more poise. He would run the offense better in the face of pressure. And not that Hill has the strongest arm but its still stronger than Davis.

RamzFanz

Damnit
bwdenverram, MarkMyWords, ShotgunShells, CoachO, iced mikeyboy, baconandbread, RamzFanz, fatkook, BriansRams, NateTheRam, DaveFan'51, Ramsmed, Debacled, Rambition, Orchid Mike, 4Rams4ever, Hex

Got it right a month ago (well, many were saying this from game one)

hill.jpg

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
OK so if we don't get the bullshit crackback call and Britt catches the ball he should have on the int, are we still hearing this ? I don't think so,and I don't think Fisher and Shotty do either .
It is pretty well my belief that Hill will not be our backup next year and that there is a very good chance Davis will be,he was not the reason we lost yesterday but man when we do it's all on him no matter how other people have played and the same old same old drum beat starts .So forgive me if I dissent

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Davis reminds me in a lot of ways of Mark Sanchez coming out. Everybody was so high on his moxie... "he's a gamer," "the guy is a great leader," "so fiery on the field." I kept scratching my head because all I saw was a guy lucky enough to be in a great USC program with a mediocre arm and decent decision-making skills.

Moxie is important, but it shouldn't trump arm talent. I enjoyed watching Davis play with joy on the field, but he just doesn't have the arm to compensate for less-than-ideal situations. He also seems to think he's got more oomph than he actually does... he plays like Brett Favre, but Favre could just rocket one of those crazy "holy shit no he didn't" throws when he refused to let a play end. Remove the arm strength, and you have Davis - same mentality, which is great, but without the throwing power to close.

rams2050

Starter
I don't know. I have been willing to give Davis a fair shot at the job. I have been unable to see the games but have listened to all of them on the radio, while driving. Even without being able to see the action, however, I got a sense of AD's dashing around and inability -- or too slow reaction times -- to make something happen. I forget how many '3 and outs' the Rams had yesterday, but it was far too many for my taste.

I love the guy. Love the spark he seemed to give the team, but I'm afraid that unless something firms up on the O-line or he suddenly finds himself a new, more accurate throwing arm and a quicker decision process that all the Rams will be reaping from the AD experiment is more losses.

I think, though, it might have been a different story if the O-line could have stayed the same through all the games. But no QB in the NFL can expect to have a wonderful, injury-free O-line every game of his career. The good ones get 'er done regardless; the bad ones, not so much.

61Woody

UDFA
Name
Jeff
I'm tired of this letting him(Davis) stay in as he will be our backup next year. As was stated I'm also tired of losing and waiting for next year. Screw next year put the guy on the field that gives you the best chance of winning now. Davis will have the offseason and preseason to get more reps. As for Hill not being here next year, I very well think he could be. Some of you guys talk like 34 is so old be he doesn't have the wear and tear on his body that a full time starter at that age would have.
Keep letting this kid start and we keep losing what does this due for the mentality of all the other young players on this team?

RamzFanz

Damnit
OK so if we don't get the bullcrap crackback call and Britt catches the ball he should have on the int, are we still hearing this ? I don't think so,and I don't think Fisher and Shotty do either .
It is pretty well my belief that Hill will not be our backup next year and that there is a very good chance Davis will be,he was not the reason we lost yesterday but man when we do it's all on him no matter how other people have played and the same old same old drum beat starts .So forgive me if I dissent

I'm sorry dude, no one can watch that game and not place a substantial amount of the responsibility on AD. He blew many many throws. Should Britt have caught that? Sure. Was it a horrible throw? Yes. Britt is twice the player AD is and has been dependable since game one. AD just can't get him the ball. In fact, the WRs catching so many bad throws is what has kept AD playing IMHO.

AD had 3 TOs and gave up 14 points. As many points as he scored all game.

What people fail to acknowledge in my opinion is, while AD did have a nice first drive and put up enough points to stay ahead until the 4th quarter, it should have been a blowout. Rams were open all day. Rams D was very good.

I don't think AD will start and if he does there's zero chance he plays the second half against Denver IMHO. So we shall soon see.

You know what's going to suck the most Thordaddy? If Hill comes in and plays as well as many of us think he can and we realise the decision to start AD without giving Hill a chance blew the season and postseason. That's going to suck.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I've been ready to see what Hill can do, but it could be a disaster with the interior OL play.

This season has really made me surrender to the football gods. I don't know where to go from here.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I'm sorry dude, no one can watch that game and not place a substantial amount of the responsibility on AD. He blew many many throws. Should Britt have caught that? Sure. Was it a horrible throw? Yes. Britt is twice the player AD is and has been dependable since game one. AD just can't get him the ball. In fact, the WRs catching so many bad throws is what has kept AD playing IMHO.

What people fail to acknowledge in my opinion is, while AD did have a nice first drive and put up enough points to stay ahead until the 4th quarter, it should have been a blowout. Rams were open all day. Rams D was very good.

I don't think AD will start and if he does there's zero chance he plays the second half against Denver IMHO. So we shall soon see.

You know what's going to suck the most Thordaddy? If Hill comes in and plays as well as many of us think he can and we realise the decision to start AD without giving Hill a chance blew the season and postseason. That's going to suck.

Actually wouldn't prove much of anything. He will be facing different teams with different defenses and different situations.

Not sure how you can call a Britt a dependable player. There is a reson he is on a prove it contract. He is know for dropping passes and losing focus - thus the prove it contract. Let not make him out to be Bruce here in how good he is.

Find it interesting that as a RAM fan you seem to gloat on Davis not doing well (and yes the screenshot and "I told you so" is nothing but gloating).

iced

Davis really, really struggles to read the blitz. I don't think I've seen a QB, maybe Kaepernick actually, that has such a disparity between Vs the blitz and no blitz. I also thought some of his throwing mechanics were off.

But then again - yesterday was one of the more uglier games I've seen play call wise from schotty. Ultra conservative, rarely pushed the ball down the field until forced too (which only plans into the hands of the defense.) Also another thought - either the cardinals d-line was on steroids mixed with meth and pcp, Davis never changed the snap count, or offensive line just gave up because they looked they were routinely being beatin off the ball at the end of the game.

Kind of feel bad for Tavon - you can see the guy is just oozing with talent..unfortunately his coordinator just doesn't know how to use him, or really imo, anyone in this offense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Davis is a good QB when you need someone to play within the confines of the scheme and execute scripted plays. I think we've all seen that. But when things get hairy and you need him to pull you back into the game and/or take over a game, his fatal flaws get tremendously magnified. By that I mean is ability to see the whole field and fire bullets in the intermediate zones.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Honestly, the game was well in hand until we were down. Then, when we started running out of time we got away from what we do well and played right into Arizona's strength, and got burned for it.

I don't even blame him for the first interception, and it's true that if that's caught this could be a whole different game.

This was, in fact a close game until the end. I know, this was a chance to jump all over this being the end for Davis here, and even more so, bullets for those who would forsake our offensive line in favor of more shiny toys to get crushed and destroyed.

But it is what it is, you'd be preaching to the choir to state that we should see what we have in Hill, or any other quarterback in the system. Because our starter next year is Bradford, and we want the best backup we can get playing behind him, which is not a rookie from the draft regardless of how well rated that quarterback may be.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think Davis' mobility is greatly overrated. Besides, what good is mobility if you just scramble enough to make a throw that ends up in a defenders hands?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

Well first of all even if Hill does play and is lights out and we drub Denver you won't know he would have played that well in all the other games , you may THINK that and will probably claim that but you won't know it. However I don't think we're gonna have to argue that one.
The 14 points Davis gave up according to your post were from an int. we both agree Britt should have caught and batted into the air which IMO the league should quit counting as ints and give the wr an assist on, and what was a forward pass erroneously called a fumble the ball went beyond Davis' torso and nothing the defensive player did gave it that forward momentum,HAD to come from Davis it's physics and OBTW that jailbreak pass rush ,you blame him for that?
I don't absolve Davis for all responsibility for yesterdays loss, but I also won't forget the team he stayed in the game with the team with the leagues best record in their house, delivered the ball to Cook and had them poised to take a 21 -10 lead when a bullshit call moved them back out of scoring range. BTW I'm pretty certain that Fisher saw it as a bullshit call as well,and he is on that rules committee.
Maybe we see Hill maybe we don't and everyone who wants him in there has the right to agitate for it , but the lead was surrendered by our defense ,Davis was put in the position to have to take more chances , every mistake he makes is a learning experience ,Hill has been around long enough that if he was the answer to a bad girls dream he'd have his own team and the people who's job depends on this team success thus far are still putting Davis out there and I think view it as this ,Davis has been sinned against as much as he has sinned and with the experience he can gain this year will be a fine backup for us next year ,it's going to take 10-6 or 9-7 to get a birth ,you don't honestly think Hill will win 6 of 7 do you?

On a less combative note I thought we had our best tackling day of the year yesterday,I recall very few misses.

V3

Hall of Fame
bwdenverram, MarkMyWords, ShotgunShells, CoachO, iced mikeyboy, baconandbread, RamzFanz, fatkook, BriansRams, NateTheRam, DaveFan'51, Ramsmed, Debacled, Rambition, Orchid Mike, 4Rams4ever, Hex

View attachment 3992
No they didn't. What would winning a few more meaningless games with Hill have accomplished other than take us further away from getting a QB in the draft that can fix this team? We wouldn't have gone to the playoffs with Hill. If he were that good, someone would have had him as their starter already. No one knew what Davis could do at the time. He obviously showed enough to the coaches that it was worth seeing what he could do. Now we know. Time to move on.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

View attachment 3992
A. This is really starting to toe the line into being glad Davis is struggling so you can tell everyone how "right" you are even when it means the Rams as a whole suffer.
B. It's going to be pretty embarrassing if Hill gets in there and we see the same results.

Athos

Legend
it's going to take 10-6 or 9-7 to get a birth ,you don't honestly think Hill will win 6 of 7 do you?

That's my point. Winning is nice and all, but only a moral victory at this point. And Denver has already had its clunker against NE. Manning and Co aren't going to take us lightly with KC nipping at their heels in a much more competitive AFC. Chargers are going to be angry first against the Raiders, then us after dropping 3 straight. Takes us to 3-8. Winning out would be 8-8, but we'd be facing the Hags on the road, and ForeSkins (who have a very good D).

Just, meh. Hill would face some pretty stout defenses down the stretch.

We're boned at this point with no guaranteed franchise QB anymore, and no elite prospects at this point that I can see in 2016. We aren't likely to get a franchise QB in FA, or barring some silly trade.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Davis is a good QB when you need someone to play within the confines of the scheme and execute scripted plays. I think we've all seen that. But when things get hairy and you need him to pull you back into the game and/or take over a game, his fatal flaws get tremendously magnified. By that I mean is ability to see the whole field and fire bullets in the intermediate zones.

I agree, except that his "fatal flaws" are things not to be unexpected for a guy with no more pro experience ,Blake Bortles has more ints and in what 2 fewer games?
I know Davis is limited ,but he has "pulled us back into games " not against Az this week but Philly he did,I don't think he's playing worse than you'd expect someone with his experience would.
I guess the question becomes though is Hill Captain Comeback either and at this point is it in the teams best interest to give Davis the experience or try to SEE if Hill can win some games ?
Really I don't mind the Hill v Davis argument as much after a loss as I do AFTER A WIN, that chaps my flanks.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Regardless of who is under center, I don't think Schotty's offense can overcome a deficit, certainly not of the two+ score magnitude. I've liked some of the things he's added to the offense this season, but when the chips are down, his playbook doesn't cut the mustard. And I don't think that having Bradford, Hill or anyone short of Warner would change that.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
That's my point. Winning is nice and all, but only a moral victory at this point. And Denver has already had its clunker against NE. Manning and Co aren't going to take us lightly with KC nipping at their heels in a much more competitive AFC. Chargers are going to be angry first against the Raiders, then us after dropping 3 straight. Takes us to 3-8. Winning out would be 8-8, but we'd be facing the Hags on the road, and ForeSkins (who have a very good D).

Just, meh. Hill would face some pretty stout defenses down the stretch.

We're boned at this point with no guaranteed franchise QB anymore, and no elite prospects at this point that I can see in 2016. We aren't likely to get a franchise QB in FA, or barring some silly trade.

A replacement for Wells and Joseph, along with Robinson's improvement and some better play from Saffold would have Mason and our stable of running backs in the top 10 rushing next year. Do that and the franchise QB isn't a necessity to make the playoffs next year. There are only a few true franchise QBs in the NFL. Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Luck and Wilson. Kap, Newton, Flacco, and the rest are sometimes paid like franchise guys but they are difference makers only some of the time. You get a few average games, along with awful and great mixed in with Kap, Newton, and those types. Big Ben has good years followed by bad years. Flacco and A. Smith and those types are quietly competent, but hardly transcend or truly scare a defense. Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Luck and Wilson. Those are the elite guys, but they won't be the only ones in the playoffs this year. The best record in the NFL has a older injury prone retread as their guy, as we all know. Not having a franchise guy for next year may be disappointing, but it's hardly critical.