Austin Davis not the answer for Rams at QB/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Austin Davis not the answer for Rams at QB
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13498/austin-davis-not-the-answer-for-rams-at-qb

GLENDALE, Ariz. --The harsh reality of playing quarterback in the NFL might not have been apparent to the St. Louis Rams' Austin Davis after his first start or his second or even his fifth.

But the past two weeks have served as a reminder that Davis has one of the toughest jobs in sports, a job that he simply isn't capable of doing at a level that will lead his team to wins on a consistent basis. Whether that's a permanent condition or not remains to be seen but the evidence seemed to be piling up against him in Sunday's 31-14 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

After managing the game and coming up with a big play or two along the way for the first three quarters of a game the Rams led into the fourth quarter, Davis was once again unable to avoid the type of costly mistakes that have dotted his first eight NFL starts.

Austin Davis had a rough day against the Cardinals defense, accounting for three turnovers (two of which were returned for touchdowns).
A lead that sat at 14-10 in the fourth quarter quickly turned into 21 unanswered points for the Cardinals, 14 of which fell out of the hands of Davis. He threw two interceptions to Arizona cornerback Patrick Peterson, one of which Peterson returned 30 yards for a game-sealing touchdown, and coughed up a fumble that Cardinals cornerback Antonio Cromartie picked up and returned 14 yards for the final margin.

"I didn’t play well enough to win today," Davis said. "I think the thing I’m learning really quick is you can play well for three and a half quarters but you’ve got to play four. You can’t have a single letdown and right now I’m having those and it’s costing our football team. I’ve got to stay the course, stay strong and keep getting better and eliminate these mistakes, mainly turnovers, that are costing our football team."

To be sure, Davis' struggles in Sunday's game weren't limited to the fourth quarter. He struggled to identify the many exotic blitz packages the Cardinals threw at him and he got little help from his offensive line and wide receivers along the way. Despite those issues, Davis and the Rams were poised to pull off the upset until the costly fourth-quarter turnovers.

On the first, Davis had receiver Chris Givens running a deep route against Peterson. Givens actually had created some space and a strong, accurate throw might have even gone for a touchdown to get the Rams the lead back after the defense surrendered a long touchdown pass to give Arizona a 17-14 lead.

As Davis stepped up, he was unable to get enough on the throw and Peterson settled under it for an easy interception. It was the second week in a row in which Davis badly underthrew a pass that was intercepted.

"I just underthrew the ball," Davis said. "I don't really have an answer for it. I don't understand it. We got the look we were looking for, I thought Chris ran a good route and won, the ball didn't go where I wanted it to."

The Rams survived that interception as the defense got the ball back with a quick three-and-out but Davis' next mistake was far more costly. Looking for receiver Kenny Britt on a short crossing route, Davis fired it a little too high and though Britt should have caught it, the pass would qualify as catchable but not accurate.

Peterson was again there to secure the mistake and return it for the score that made it 24-14 and, for all intents and purposes, end the game.

"The second one, I just threw it high and it gets tipped around," Davis said. "Two critical plays, you can't turn the football over. We knew coming in that was kind of their thing. They kind of live off the turnover and you saw it there at the end."

For Davis, the fourth-string-quarterback-turned-starter, costly turnovers have been all too familiar this season. He has nine interceptions on the season with four of those turning into immediate points via a return for touchdown. He also has a pair of fumbles that have been returned for touchdowns. Making those numbers hurt worse is the fact that six of Davis' nine interceptions have come in the fourth quarter, including all four of the pick-sixes.

In nine games, Davis' fourth-quarter passer rating is 68.1 with a QBR of 23.8, which includes a 12.0 and 0.1 on Sunday.

"It can't happen," Davis said. "It's killing our defense. They're playing their tails off. For me to have those letdowns, it's really tough. I've got to get a lot better and I can't do that."

In terms of intangibles, Davis checks every box for what a starting NFL quarterback should be. But intangibles don't score points or win games. While he's done enough to earn a backup job moving forward, it's probably best to put away any hopes that he can be the Rams' long-term answer at the game's most important position.

Wonderboy

Rookie
I had a couple of the same thoughts watching today's game. He doesn't recognize the blitz well and hanes pressure even worse. But the biggest problem is that for the second week in a row he failed to get the ball to a receiver that got behind the coverage. That's unacceptable. I was rooting for AD to show us something. But I'm not sure he's shown me that he should be the starter the rest of the season. Is the draft here yet (I hate that question but I confess I'm wondering about next year's QB situation)?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
For Davis, the fourth-string-quarterback-turned-starter, costly turnovers have been all too familiar this season. He has nine interceptions on the season with four of those turning into immediate points via a return for touchdown. He also has a pair of fumbles that have been returned for touchdowns. Making those numbers hurt worse is the fact that six of Davis' nine interceptions have come in the fourth quarter, including all four of the pick-sixes.
Brutal numbers.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Get out of town...

No way has he struggled the last three weeks.

Craps of it is he had legit chances to shine. It's not like we threw him into the meat grinder like past QB's. Today was like MNF against the Niners late in the game. He does OK when it's not all on his shoulders.

SierraRam

Recreational User
six of Davis' nine interceptions have come in the fourth quarter, including all four of the pick-sixes

We all want AD to succeed, but he is what he is: a backup at best. With a good QB, this team is in the playoffs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

at least davis understands how poorly he played and will work hard to rectify it. not like another rams qb in the distant past who threw out quotes like "that interception was like a punt" or "the db made a great play" when he threw it to the wr's back shoulder instead of out in front of him.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Cut and resign Bradford. Draft QB. Relegate Davis to the PS for emergency situations.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Breaking news....I guess, thanks for reading ROD, the best damn Internet Rams fan site, like, in the darn World!

Duh

Last edited:

A55VA6

Legend
I think it's clear Davis isn't the future QB here. Right now, it's still Bradford or next years draft pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well that was the value of playing Davis this season, to see if he could do the job. I agree he's not good enough to do it at the starter level against the defenses in this division.

Oh and btw it's not Bradford OR a draft pick. The draft pick is gonna happen, because we cannot count on Bradford again, need to spread the eggs in the proverbial basket.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is coming very apparent since we have the best damn OL in the league. Duh!

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Well that was the value of playing Davis this season, to see if he could do the job. I agree he's not good enough to do it at the starter level against the defenses in this division.

Oh and btw it's not Bradford OR a draft pick. The draft pick is gonna happen, because we cannot count on Bradford again, need to spread the eggs in the proverbial basket.

Fully agree. Davis hasn't shown starter quality for next year unfortunately, but it was worth a shot. They are going to have to draft an early QB (no later than 2nd round) and see about restructuring Bradford. I have no faith in Bradford long term, but I just see no other option. It uscks because it is going to make next year contentious year.

We also have to improve this OL, no QB will last behind it and succeed.

Philly5

Rookie
Hopefully Davis will improve his ability to get rid of the ball and keep his eyes downfield. The problem is his weak arm and inaccuracy probably won't be getting much better. Fisher was initially right when he wanted to stick with Hill.

BadCompany

Rookie
isher was initially right when he wanted to stick with Hill.

So, legitimate question then; did the season really die when Bradford went down, or was it just just badly wounded, with the coup de grace coming when Hill tweaked his thigh?

We'll never know of course, but would Hill have a little more fourth quarter composure and not throw all those devastating pick-sixes? Could Hill have squeaked out 1-2 more wins that Davis (seemingly) threw away? One or two more wins puts us within playoff territory. Or would the same thing have happened just because it's the Rams, same as it ever was?

I know, hindsight and all that, but what else do we have?

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
So, legitimate question then; did the season really die when Bradford went down, or was it just just badly wounded, with the coup de grace coming when Hill tweaked his thigh?

We'll never know of course, but would Hill have a little more fourth quarter composure and not throw all those devastating pick-sixes? Could Hill have squeaked out 1-2 more wins that Davis (seemingly) threw away? One or two more wins puts us within playoff territory. Or would the same thing have happened just because it's the Rams, same as it ever was?

I know, hindsight and all that, but what else do we have?

I do not think Hill would have done any better - he is more accurate, but less mobile and I think would have many more sacks (assuming he stays healthy through that...which is a big question). Bradford I do nto know about - he also tends to be less mobile so there is a question if ultimately it would not matter since the Oline is so bad...though the Oline may have played better with him there (there may be some moral/confidence/experience factor that would help...maybe).

Not sure if Schotty would have called much different for either of those two - the play calling has been overall bad all year (yes it looks good at times - but overall not so much).

Athos

Legend
I don't really care about the season anymore.

Just keep him in at QB and hopefully the one great thing he does is position us for Mariota.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I don't really care about the season anymore.

Just keep him in at QB and hopefully the one great thing he does is position us for Mariota.
I fully disagree, im sick of losing and looking to next year. Put Hill in and win as many games as possible.

Philly5

Rookie
I do not think Hill would have done any better - he is more accurate, but less mobile and I think would have many more sacks (assuming he stays healthy through that...which is a big question). Bradford I do nto know about - he also tends to be less mobile so there is a question if ultimately it would not matter since the Oline is so bad...though the Oline may have played better with him there (there may be some moral/confidence/experience factor that would help...maybe).

Not sure if Schotty would have called much different for either of those two - the play calling has been overall bad all year (yes it looks good at times - but overall not so much).

Avoiding sacks is not all about mobility. Peyton moves like a fridge. Our OL needs work, but IMO Davis had time to get rid of the ball yesterday. I was yelling at the TV for him to throw the ball all game.

Hill is a much better QB. The balls were flying high, low, short, and behind when the wheels came off yesterday. Playoffs hopes are done, so if we think Davis benefits from playing time for the future I got no problem with that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With a good QB, this team is in the playoffs.
Howie Long stated as much, when he was 'Raining Praise' on our team, During half-time of yesterdays game!! I love his commentary on the Rams! Too Bad we could Finish it for him!