Aug-08 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Britt dropped a couple of balls that hit him in the hands, he has got to see the writing on the wall. The Rams brought in guys with hands this off season, he is gonna have start earning his roster spot.

Wasn't a great day for Keenum or Goff, in the last team session Mannion got the ball out quicker than the other 2 and made some nice down field throws, 1 of which was dropped by M Brown.

Higbeast was his usual beastly self, Duke Williams looked good, Mike Thomas looks good. Tru made a couple of nice picks, can't wait to see the Dline in live action.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Britt dropped a couple of balls that hit him in the hands, he has got to see the writing on the wall. The Rams brought in guys with hands this off season, he is gonna have start earning his roster spot.

Wasn't a great day for Keenum or Goff, in the last team session Mannion got the ball out quicker than the other 2 and made some nice down field throws, 1 of which was dropped by M Brown.

Higbeast was his usual beastly self, Duke Williams looked good, Mike Thomas looks good. Tru made a couple of nice picks, can't wait to see the Dline in live action.
My mind would be blown if Kenny Britt is cut, but would be ok with it if the new guys balled out!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I wonder how the offense line looked in pads on Saturday against the D'line.
-- The D'line will get a good test against Dallas O'Lineman .The 2 squads know each other well from last year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Sort of want him to get cut & The Rams move on . Kenny is really into himself. Nice guy and all,just think he does not help The Rams moving further.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Help me understand what people have seen from Tavon that makes them say he's better in the slot? I haven't seen anything from him that shows that.

The story I make up in my head is that people see that he's small and fast and they use that as some shorthand for him being in the slot since many slot receivers share a size/speed characteristic with him and not that being in the slot requires quickness, start-stop ability, intelligence, route running ability and a whole host of characteristics that he either doesn't have or hasn't developed yet.

Or maybe it's wishful thinking that if Tavon can thrive in the slot we can get a good receiver on the outside in three receiver sets. He's our best receiver but his deficiencies and need to be on the outside often leave us with a lesser combo of 3 receivers in 3 receiver sets than what we could have if he could move inside.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sorry if I'm being a negative nelly but how can you cut Britt? He's the most experienced receiver we have. Most likely we will have a rookie QB start this year and I'd rather have Britt out there running the right route and dropping the ball (only on occasion) than a rookie WR running the wrong route and getting our QB hurt cause he takes a sack.

Someone said that in the competition for Quick's roster spot, the tie goes to the rookie. I can't agree more.

In the competition for a roster spot with Britt, the tie definitely, absolutely goes to the vet in this case.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

Britt has proven he is at his best a situational deep threat, and I don't see him progressing beyond that at this stage in his career. I feel like he has been making great catches on go routes and dropping easy catches on slant routes since his rookie year, It is maddening. I really hope Quick, Thomas, or Williams can step up and take that X receiver spot so we can relegate Britt to a situational deep threat role sooner than later.

Sorry if I'm being a negative nelly but how can you cut Britt? He's the most experienced receiver we have. Most likely we will have a rookie QB start this year and I'd rather have Britt out there running the right route and dropping the ball (only on occasion) than a rookie WR running the wrong route and getting our QB hurt cause he takes a sack.

I also don't think he will get cut, but nothing about Britt's play indicates veteran savvy. He has more years experience than all those guys, but what has done with those years? Are we even sure he consistently runs the right route? He has mastered the stop and go route and that is about it. Gotta expect a whole lot more out of the supposed veteran.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry @VeteranRamFan , I missed ur post, had trouble reading my phone so I put it up. I will be there tomorrow as well, maybe we can meet up then.
That's alright, bro.

I have an afternoon appointment so I doubt I can make it.

I know what you mean about trouble reading the phone, the glare is brutal!

Make us proud and give a good camp report for tomorrow!

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone know how many drops Britt had last year? Or targets? I've watched pretty much every game since he's been a Ram, I don't recall him dropping that many, unlike Jared Cook.

Also even the good/great receivers drop passes, I just don't get all the clamoring for him to be cut after a few drops in practice.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Help me understand what people have seen from Tavon that makes them say he's better in the slot? I haven't seen anything from him that shows that.

The story I make up in my head is that people see that he's small and fast and they use that as some shorthand for him being in the slot since many slot receivers share a size/speed characteristic with him and not that being in the slot requires quickness, start-stop ability, intelligence, route running ability and a whole host of characteristics that he either doesn't have or hasn't developed yet.

Or maybe it's wishful thinking that if Tavon can thrive in the slot we can get a good receiver on the outside in three receiver sets. He's our best receiver but his deficiencies and need to be on the outside often leave us with a lesser combo of 3 receivers in 3 receiver sets than what we could have if he could move inside.

Agreed WCR. Tavon has demonstrated he can play outside because he's got elite speed.

If I were the OC the slot is where those lesser athletes line up, the Marquez and Spruces of the roster, plus our new "beest" of a TE. Tavon and Coop would be my Flankers, and of course due to the similarity of motion and ability to play behind the LOS those two can also slide over to slot if need be for a given package/look.

Split End is where I'm most underwhelmed with this group. Britt has the speed for the go route threat vs a man look but lacks most other things. Quick has the measurables and athleticism but never demonstrated a consistent ability to use his size vs the jam he's gonna see there or the required hands (i.e. I think he's another Flanker type).

Best possible answer would be Quick stepping up and winning that X job. Or Tavon. Or one of the kids like Duke, I don't know.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There have been a handful or so of diminutive WR's who have excelled on the outside but not many. Tavon is tremendously gifted and he's working hard at it and we have better options at QB going forward. I'm skeptical on Tavon being that guy but that could change quickly.

Having said that, I have no problem with Tavon's current role(s) in the offense. Runner, PR, gadget guy, screens, reverses, etc...he makes plays and scores TD's.
As long as the offense finds some way to get vertical and threaten beyond the LOS all of our weapons will only be that much more effective and less 2 dimensional.

WestCoastRam

Legend
As long as the offense finds some way to get vertical and threaten beyond the LOS all of our weapons will only be that much more effective and less 2 dimensional.

Well, our offense will have to threaten beyond the line of scrimmage since having touch on throws at or near the LOS was a knock on Goff coming out!

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Britt has had a good camp so far, but drops a couple today and now has to be cut.

People being a bit reactive to today's report.

The Rams are in no position to cut someone like Britt at this point in time. Especially considering that you are asking 6th round and udfa rookies to take his spot. I really like the new guys like Mike Thomas and Duke, but just forcing them into a spot like that, that early is setting them up for failure, not success.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Britt has had a good camp so far, but drops a couple today and now has to be cut.

People being a bit reactive to today's report.

The Rams are in no position to cut someone like Britt at this point in time. Especially considering that you are asking 6th round and udfa rookies to take his spot. I really like the new guys like Mike Thomas and Duke, but just forcing them into a spot like that, that early is setting them up for failure, not success.

Very good point . I only say that because I'm down on Kenny. He is the #1 WR right now.He and Case play well together. They had a couple of really nice TD's together . I wonder how much that has to do with Boras as well though.
Kenny has such strong hands & makes the tough catches.-- Now saying that I just noticed a highlife video of him not hands catching. He was sort of basket catching , the ball sort of bounced inside his Rams.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nobody wants Britt to be cut at this point. The idea is that we are tired of Britt and Quick ( almost choked on my cookie saying this) being the Rams best receivers. Hopefully soon, the day will come that we can say that the Rams top receivers are in the same conversation as Brandon Marshall, or Alshon, or Hopkins, etc...The Rams are full of 2's and 3's.

And Tavon is not Welker. He isn't even best in the slot. First Quick is great, and now Tavon is Welker. I was excited about the Groh hire. Now, I am worried.

Last edited:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Does anyone know how many drops Britt had last year? Or targets? I've watched pretty much every game since he's been a Ram, I don't recall him dropping that many, unlike Jared Cook.

Also even the good/great receivers drop passes, I just don't get all the clamoring for him to be cut after a few drops in practice.
I'm not saying he should be cut, just that he should be aware it could happen if he doesn't stay focused. The youth movement at WR looks promising and they could use a vet to show them the ropes.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I was excited about the Groh hire. Now, I am worried.
I put these two quotes together as my continued biggest concern for the offense. When Groh was hired he mentioned both influences on his resume: the (good) Adam Gase background and the (bad) west coast offense background. I'm still worried that Fisher is hung up on 1990s Martyball as his dream offense (west coast short passing + power running combo), and the early reports of almost every pass being underneath aren't allaying any concerns.

We're four days away from first preseason action and that's probably also the countdown until the first refrain of "don't worry it's just vanilla in the preseason" to justify a lack of vertical threat and stale looking offense, but I'm (naively) still hoping we see a spark of a new direction in the offense. Until then, for me it's hard to fairly evaluate the players, be it Goff or the WR competition, without knowing the identity of the passing game, and hard to get a read on Groh without knowing what direction Fisher has dictated.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Nobody wants Britt to be cut at this point. The idea is that we are tired of Britt and Quick ( almost choked on my cookie saying this) being the Rams best receivers. Hopefully soon, the day will come that we can say that the Rams top receivers are in the same conversation as Brandon Marshall, or Alshon, or Hopkins, etc...The Rams are full of 2's and 3's.

And Tavon is not Welker. He isn't even best in the slot. First Quick is great, and now Tavon is Welker. I was excited about the Groh hire. Now, I am worried.

When has Quick been considered one of the Rams best receivers? Maybe for a few games in the Austin Davis year before he got hurt, but still.

I get being frustrated with not having a top tier go to guy at receiver, but that doesn't mean people should harp on Britt for a couple drops in an otherwise solid camp so far. No point in calling for your current best option to get cut because you're frustrated that he isn't the ideal No.1 option. It's just kinda senseless. Hopefully one of the guys on the roster steps up and plays like a go to guy, if not, that's what FA and the draft are for (granted the young guys are given proper time to develop).

Don't think there's any reason to be worried about this hire yet. Seems to me that the offense and receivers have been actually been having more success in this year's camp compared to the previous few, at least according to reports

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/terrence-magee?id=2552383
Terrence Magee RB
2014: Played in all 13 games, starting one. Finished second on team in rushing yards. Team's primary
backup playing behind Leonard Fournette. 2013: Played in all 13 games as the primary backup RB. 2012: Switched positions to WR during spring practices and played in nine games as a reserve WR. 2011: Played in five games as a reserve RB. Missed the final three games of the season with an undisclosed knee injury that required surgery.

Pro Day Results
40-yard dashL 4.65 and 4.66 seconds

Strengths
Has more than enough competitiveness and toughness. Sees the holes and makes good decisions when the ball is in his hands. Has decent strength and falls forward to finish runs. Courageous pass protector. Understands protection schemes -- who to block and when to release. Works his feet to stay in front of blitzers and is technically sound.
Weaknesses
Below-average athlete. Dull runner lacking improvisation. Shake and acceleration are missing from his game. What you see is what you get. Can break tackles here and there but isn't a punisher. Can catch throws to him but must improve at adjusting to poor throws out of backfield. Didn't impress enough to get a bigger piece of the pie among LSU running backs.
Draft Projection
Round 7 or priority free agent
Sources Tell Us
"He doesn't really do any one thing all that great, but he's solid at everything you ask him to do. He's not special, but I would draft him down the line." -- NFC area scout
Bottom Line
Limited, dime-a-dozen running back who will get some attention from teams for his willingness to stick his nose into blitzers and protect the quarterback on third downs. Has just three kickoff returns over last two seasons, so he's likely a camp body who must find a way to shine with limited reps.